The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 06-07-2017, 01:40 PM   #21
CyberCubed
Overlord

It's weird that the young kids of today won't know anything about pre-2000's cartoons. It doesn't help matters most of these shows never got proper DVD releases or are legally streamed anywhere.

I miss the old style 90's animation before everything got that flat, thick-outline look that all modern cartoons have.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 01:42 PM   #22
Wesley
Mad Scientist

I watched an episode or two of the show but never got into it.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 01:53 PM   #23
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
There was also a dumb and dumber cartoon, I think that one was my favorite of the 3 Jim Carrey cartoons. And The mask crossed over with D&D, which I remember being mad since it made more sense for D&D to crossover with Ace Ventura since their shows were similar being only comedy and The Mask was more superhero mixed with comedy.

You are probably confusing D&D with a different cartoon. D&D was from the mid-80's- it was long cancelled before the Mask ever even aired. Also it was NOT a comedy; it was pure fantasy adventure. And D&D never did any crossover episodes, as it was based almost entirely in the game's fantasy world, and lasted only 29 episodes.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 02:29 PM   #24
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
You are probably confusing D&D with a different cartoon. D&D was from the mid-80's- it was long cancelled before the Mask ever even aired. Also it was NOT a comedy; it was pure fantasy adventure. And D&D never did any crossover episodes, as it was based almost entirely in the game's fantasy world, and lasted only 29 episodes.
I was talking about Dumb and Dumber that I had mentioned earlier when I said D&D which I"m guessing you're talking about dungeons and dragons. The three Jim Carrey movie cartoons along The Mask and Ace Ventura.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
It's weird that the young kids of today won't know anything about pre-2000's cartoons. It doesn't help matters most of these shows never got proper DVD releases or are legally streamed anywhere.

I miss the old style 90's animation before everything got that flat, thick-outline look that all modern cartoons have.
Kids today know cartoons of past better than a lot of us, with the advent of youtube and wikipedia/google, kids can research or come across tons of old shows. As a kid I always wanted to watch old Felix the cat cartoons after watching the Twisted Tales of Felix but never could. now a kid who watches say Power Rangers can easily find all 25 seasons to stream easily.

A kid watches Ace Ventura the movie because it was on tv or some other reason, he goes to wikipedia and finds it had a cartoon and bam! He found one. Countless of old people share their nostalgic cartoons of the 80s and 90s on facebook and social media and kids today might be interested and check them out. Sure some obscure cartoons that don't get often mentioned like say UltraForce cartoon might get shafted but overall kids are more likely to check older stuff now than in the past.

I'm not saying the average kid does this but I'm guessing a larger percentage than you'd think.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 02:31 PM   #25
CyberCubed
Overlord

I don't know how many people do look for old cartoons, outside of tremendously popular franchises though. Like people would go back to watch old Batman or Spiderman cartoons, or long running anime like Pokemon and Dragonball can go back and watch older sagas/seasons they missed or never watched....but for obscure cartoons that have no long lasting franchise?

It's a bit more unlikely.
Old 06-07-2017, 05:23 PM   #26
Xav
Foot Elite

Quote:
And The mask crossed over with D&D, which I remember being mad since it made more sense for D&D to crossover with Ace Ventura since their shows were similar being only comedy and The Mask was more superhero mixed with comedy.
It did? I remember The Mask crossing over with Ace Ventura but not Dumb and Dumber.
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 05:50 PM   #27
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Quote:
I was talking about Dumb and Dumber that I had mentioned earlier when I said D&D which I"m guessing you're talking about dungeons and dragons. The three Jim Carrey movie cartoons along The Mask and Ace Ventura.

I'm not saying the average kid does this but I'm guessing a larger percentage than you'd think.

Ah got it. Yes I was and I didn't even realize there had been a Dumb and Dumber cartoon. I can see how that might be confusing using D&D as a nickname.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 03:58 PM   #28
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:

Kids today know cartoons of past better than a lot of us, with the advent of youtube and wikipedia/google, kids can research or come across tons of old shows. As a kid I always wanted to watch old Felix the cat cartoons after watching the Twisted Tales of Felix but never could. now a kid who watches say Power Rangers can easily find all 25 seasons to stream easily.

A kid watches Ace Ventura the movie because it was on tv or some other reason, he goes to wikipedia and finds it had a cartoon and bam! He found one. Countless of old people share their nostalgic cartoons of the 80s and 90s on facebook and social media and kids today might be interested and check them out. Sure some obscure cartoons that don't get often mentioned like say UltraForce cartoon might get shafted but overall kids are more likely to check older stuff now than in the past.

As a child, a didn't know much how old any series was, I could watch reruns with no idea. I just knew TMNT was still on, because of all international marketing.

Last edited by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan; 06-10-2017 at 01:13 PM.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 04:49 AM   #29
Prowler
Emperor

When I was a kid I didn't care how old a cartoon/anime series was either. Otherwise I'd not have watched Wacky Races, Looney Tunes, Tom & Jerry, Top Cat, the Flinstones, etc. when I was a kid.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 11:46 AM   #30
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
When I was a kid I didn't care how old a cartoon/anime series was either. Otherwise I'd not have watched Wacky Races, Looney Tunes, Tom & Jerry, Top Cat, the Flinstones, etc. when I was a kid.
When I was a kid I also had no idea those were old cartoons either. I watched them in the 90's on Cartoon Network, but all those shows came out in the 60's or earlier. So they were already 30 years old by the time I watched them for the first time.
Old 06-09-2017, 12:35 PM   #31
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Quote:
When I was a kid I also had no idea those were old cartoons either. I watched them in the 90's on Cartoon Network, but all those shows came out in the 60's or earlier. So they were already 30 years old by the time I watched them for the first time.
I watched them in the 90s on Rte two but didn't realise they were from the 60s or earlier either.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 02:16 PM   #32
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I watched tons of old cartoons thanks to Cartoon Network, but even as a kid I knew exactly when a cartoon was old. The style gives it away, I was barely old enough to understand what the "80s" were and yet I could recognize an 80s cartoon a mile away, they felt so "old" in comparison to 90s shows. And I knew Scooby-Doo, Flintstones and other shows were even older than that just because of the style. That didn't mean I didn't like them but I definitely preferred 90s cartoons as they were more modern. It's even easier for kids today to tell shows apart just by seeing if it's widescreen or not. And I'm sure they watch older shows but they prefer the shows aimed at them made now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
It did? I remember The Mask crossing over with Ace Ventura but not Dumb and Dumber.
Yeah I got them confused but there was a crossover that didn't make sense, AV and D&D made more sense than either of those with The Mask.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 02:21 PM   #33
CyberCubed
Overlord

Honestly I can't watch many 80's cartoons nowadays outside the original Ninja Turtles, they're in this weird "too dated but not as good as 90's cartoons" type of mentality.

90's cartoons aged a bit better, although some of them were still obviously toned down by censors or being toy-centered series.
Old 06-10-2017, 03:40 AM   #34
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Tom and Jerry have existed since 1940 says Wikipedia.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 11:09 PM   #35
ssjup81
Foot Elite

I loved this show! It was syndicated, so I can't recall what station aired it, but I used to tape it.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 07:47 AM   #36
TheBlueTurtle1
Foot Elite

I used to watch this show from time to time.. Since Prowler open this thread I been back and watch the first 3 episodes, it's actually aged really well, and I think I shall watch the rest. I think the fact Rob Paulson voiced Max helped the show alot.

So many fun cartoons from the 90s,(that were not as big as x-men, spider-man, TMNT, disney afternoon, etc) that kids of today will miss out on, Biker Mice from Mars, Dexters lab, real ghostbusters, Garfield and friends, Recess, Hey arnold, swat kats, to name just a few.

Sigh, makes me feel old

http://jandmdev.deviantart.com/ (My Brother and I have a dev page, I am J, brother is M)
TheBlueTurtle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 11:30 AM   #37
CyberCubed
Overlord

Oh the young kids of today, I feel sorry for them. They'll never know what cartoons were like when they had actual animation and looked like slightly low-key versions of high-end Disney movies rather than the flat/paper thin outline look they use on shows today like Teen Titans Go or Steven Universe, etc.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:54 PM   #38
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Except that... my mom would eventually tell me "oh those cartoons are from my time!" and thus I'd know. Would that affect my enjoyment of them? No.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mighty max