The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 03-06-2019, 09:58 PM   #41
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
On the verge of Marvel getting Deadpool and all -- which they insist will continue onward as R under some to be determined banner -- you'd think there would be more openness to explore more adult material with the characters that lend themselves to that sort of thing.
They're 100% lying. They just don't want an open revolt, so they're making promises they have no intention of ever keeping.

Marvel/Disney will never, EVER gamble their proven, multi-billion dollar formula on one or two "edgy" movies that will still have to fit in with the rest of their PG/PG-13 "universe".

I fully understand that they have the capacity to do it if they want to. But they're not going to. The risk/reward ratio doesn't favor it. People keep citing "Deadpool" as if they actually NEED that franchise, as it is/was. They literally fart out a new billion-dollar movie every three to four months. I'm sure that they find the existence of a super-hero movie full of dick jokes and ultra-violence "interesting", but they have very little incentive to actually pursue that angle themselves. So it made money. So what? They made two billion dollars with a talking raccoon; they'd actually be pretty stupid to gamble on a niche market just because "it fits the characters better". Since when does that matter to them as much as selling more dolls?

They don't need to make R-rated CBMs to make billions. Thus, they're not going to bother. "CBMs are live-action cartoons for children and families." They've said this out loud, many times. C'mon. "LIVE IN THE NOW," people.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 10:05 PM   #42
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
They're 100% lying. They just don't want an open revolt, so they're making promises they have no intention of ever keeping.

Marvel/Disney will never, EVER gamble their proven, multi-billion dollar formula on one or two "edgy" movies that will still have to fit in with the rest of their PG/PG-13 "universe".
I take them at their word (why even lie at this juncture, or any other, really?)... however, you point out a thing that does concern me. Perhaps they won't have it fit in with their universe. Perhaps while Deadpool gets to continue onward with R-movies... cameos from Avengers and such will be ruled "out of bounds." Which would suck. That's like the main reason I was looking forward to Deadpool at Marvel. Like, Spider-Man tags along for a movie. Or he runs into Iron Man.

Though it reasons to say, if Iger and company are going to all the trouble of making a R-rated brand to suit Deadpool... it will be a brand that is going to have stuff other than just Deadpool, too.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 10:11 PM   #43
snake
Disgusting

I understand it from a buisness perspective. I get it. Deadpool “fills” that niche, and maybe the one-off Logan-esque films we’ll eventually get will too. What I’m saying is, if you’re not going to commit to an R-rated film, don’t make a pussified version of an R-rated film, and that’s exactly what these people try to do. Look at the f*cking Robocop reboot.

You can do a PG-13 Black Widow movie. There’s a market for it. I’d prefer a solid, comic-book esque action movie over another realistic female spy movie only this time she can’t show her tits. Make me feel like this is a movie taking place in the Marvel universe. Give me nanomachines, cyborgs, conspiracy theories, the f*cking serpent society for all I care. Make it “campy” but don’t play it for laughs. It’s why I have a problem with that godawful Agents of Shield show. You never feel like you’re watching something taking place in the Marvel universe. You’re watching some dudes sh*t around in suits acting out a barely consequential script with no imagination or soul behind it.

Metal Gear Solid is a perfect place to look tonally and conceptually, for what this movie should be.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 10:18 PM   #44
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
It’s why I have a problem with that godawful Agents of Shield show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
I understand it from a buisness perspective. I get it. Deadpool “fills” that niche, and maybe the one-off Logan-esque films we’ll eventually get will too. What I’m saying is, if you’re not going to commit to an R-rated film, don’t make a pussified version of an R-rated film, and that’s exactly what these people try to do. Look at the f*cking Robocop reboot.
Tell me about it. Or the PG-13 Total Recall movie. Together with RoboCop, some of the bloodiest movies of the era they were borne out of. Between those two remakes, what a terrible time to be a Verhoeven fan.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:33 PM   #45
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
I take them at their word (why even lie at this juncture, or any other, really?)
1. From one carny to... well, to a friend... "Never take anyone at their word" is a Day One, pally.

2. As I've said, controlling the larger conversation about these movies is big business. Look how far they've gone to control the conversations about Star Wars and Captain Marvel. They know full well that even though they don't need Deadpool, people liked it and wouldn't mind having some more, as long as it's the same as what they already got and liked. If they came out and openly said, "Yeah, it doesn't fit our brand, we're not doing R-rated CBMs, because we make way more money off of kids and soccer moms than we do edgelord purist geeks," people on the internet would flip their sh*t. It COULD even finally be what pushes the bloom off of the rose that is the MCU completely. People would rage about how the company "doesn't listen to its fans" and all that. It would be a PR disaster. They have every nerd and their mother eating out of the palm of their hand right now and convinced that everything they do is great; openly declaring, "We don't plan to give you that thing you said you wanted" would be suicide. I loathe Disney as an entity but they didn't get to where they are by NOT being business-savvy.

What they're gonna do instead is some simple sleight-of-hand: Make Captain Marvel, the X-Men, the Fantastic 4, and a bunch of other "new" MCU characters a huge focal point going forward, announce a hundred new movies with all these exciting "new" characters, and then wait for everyone to forget they even promised more Deadpool or other R-rated CBMs. By then nobody will even care anymore, AND, if they wait long enough, they can easily put Deadpool in any other MCU film as an ancillary character, fully adhering to the PG-13 guidelines, and people will just be happy they got anything at all.

1. Lie
2. Misdirect
3. Hope everyone forgets what you promised if you wait long enough

It's a simple but effective strategy, and it's definitely what the plan is.
-----------------------

snake: Don't even get me started to how terrified I am of the Metal Gear Solid movie. That has a 0/100 chance of NOT being a complete disaster. Plus they already made two of them: They were called "Escape From New York" and "Escape From L.A.", and they were perfectly fine. Better than whatever nonsense Hollywood is gonna cobble together based on a Wiki page and a complete misunderstanding of the material.

Between the MGS movie and the He-Man movie that are both "allegedly" coming out inside a couple years, it feels like Hollywood is actually trying to use my favorite things as an elaborate game of tricking me into suicide. They might win! Too early to tell! But based on their track record, I don't like my odds...

Old 03-06-2019, 10:37 PM   #46
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
They know full well that even though they don't need Deadpool, people liked it and wouldn't mind having some more, as long as it's the same as what they already got and liked.
Deadpool is cheap to make and the first two made more money than ANY of the X-Men movies (except DofP, I think, but even there it was close and that movie cost a sh** ton more)... it's a huge commodity, like an almost free billion dollars for them every movie.

Quote:
Don't even get me started to how terrified I am of the Metal Gear Solid movie.
You should be. There hasn't been even one good video game movie, ever.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:58 PM   #47
Leo656
The Franchise

I think the low risk/high reward game mattered a lot more to Fox than it does to Disney. Disney has proven that they're perfectly fine playing the "High Cost (I won't call it "risk"; every Disney movie is NO-risk by definition) for Even Higher Reward" game.

They spend more, but they also earn more. People are seriously overestimating the value the Deadpool "brand" is worth to them. They could just as easily make Howard The Duck tomorrow for like, $50 million, and it would make at least $800 million because of the "Marvel" sticker on it. I keep going back to this, but the fact is, they made ANT-MAN a big deal. They've been spinning sh*t into Gold for a long time now; they don't need to make Deadpool, or ANY R-rated CBMs whatsoever, in order to make profit. And lest we forget, "Profit" is the name of the game, NOT "keeping promises", NOT "giving the audience more of what they asked for". Profit, keeping investors happy, and keeping the Soccer Moms from writing angry letters about how "comic book movies are for KIDS!". That's All There Is.

I understand that it's human nature to cling to hope in the face of all logic. But that doesn't make it any less naive. That would be like me expecting any DC movie to ever come out in the future to aim higher than the lowbrow "comedy" that "SHAZAM!" is aiming for. I'm realistic about what the future holds. I don't like it, but I know how the game is played.

The next R-rated CBM to come out will probably be McFarlane's "Spawn" movie. And we all know that movie's not coming out in this lifetime. It is what it is. I just get frustrated because so many people are going to be so disappointed when they realize they were lied to, and I would spare them that feeling, if I could.
------------

I know. Although Mortal Kombat is at least watchable, if completely neutered. Still, the fact it's been 25 years and THAT is still the bar... Jesus, I wish people would stop making video game movies. Like, I would pay them to stop, if I had Richard Branson levels of "f*ck off" money. "Oh, so you're making a Legend Of Zelda movie with a budget of $100 million? I'll give you $300 million to NOT do that."

I would be the single greatest humanitarian the world has ever seen. Alas......

Last edited by Leo656; 03-06-2019 at 11:12 PM.
Old 03-07-2019, 01:30 PM   #48
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Fox is going to stay Fox (in name), even after the Disney acquisition is complete:

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/disne...closes-a167006

So there you have it: Deadpool will just keep coming out under the Fox banner. Which allows for R.
Old 03-07-2019, 01:51 PM   #49
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Fox is going to stay Fox (in name), even after the Disney acquisition is complete:

So there you have it: Deadpool will just keep coming out under the Fox banner. Which allows for R.
Will Deadpool specifically keep coming out though? I doubt that.

He's an X-Men mutant, and Disney wants their turn to do X-Men movies.

Say goodnight, Gracie. You're off-limits to Disney.
Old 03-07-2019, 01:53 PM   #50
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:

Let me guess, they're doing this because Fox has better name recognition than Touchstone? I don't doubt that's the case but I don't think anyone would care if Alien 7 ends up having a different studio logo attached either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Will Deadpool specifically keep coming out though? I doubt that.

He's an X-Men mutant, and Disney wants their turn to do X-Men movies.

Say goodnight, Gracie. You're off-limits to Disney.
Deadpool is such an off-center gag character anyway, I don't think he'll interact with the MCU characters in any meaningful way, he didn't even to interact with the core X-Men in a meaningful way either (unless you count Colossus but he wasn't important in the other movies). Anyway, I would not be chocked if they made direct sequels to the Deadpool movies and implied he ended up in the MCU through some nonsense and then pretended he always belonged there after a fourth wall gag (like with Miles Morales in the comics).
Hahahaha!

Last edited by neatoman; 03-07-2019 at 01:59 PM.
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 02:46 PM   #51
Sumac
Banned

Could it mean that X-Men will stay separate from MCU?
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 02:51 PM   #52
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Could it mean that X-Men will stay separate from MCU?
No, they've said they plan to integrate and "reunite" them right away. A few different times.

But Deadpool? Maybe a different story. Maybe he stays under the now-Disney-owned Fox banner... which no longer contains any X-Men.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:52 PM   #53
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Looks like Emma Watson won't be joining the Marvel Cinematic Universe right now. The part in Black Widow that she was supposedly the front-runner for will instead be going to Florence Pugh, Watson's co-star in the upcoming Little Women film.

Scarlett Johansson’s ‘Black Widow’ Movie Adds Florence Pugh
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:55 PM   #54
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Quote:
No, they've said they plan to integrate and "reunite" them right away. A few different times.

But Deadpool? Maybe a different story. Maybe he stays under the now-Disney-owned Fox banner... which no longer contains any X-Men.
Did Deadpool have any links to FoX-Men? Couldn't the few references just be that references and not like it was actually in continuity?

I'm sure down the line had Fox continued with X-Men they would've had a crossover movie but since they didn't it could easily fit into MCU since deadpool is "wAcKy and stuff.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 05:50 PM   #55
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger_scout View Post
Looks like Emma Watson won't be joining the Marvel Cinematic Universe right now. The part in Black Widow that she was supposedly the front-runner for will instead be going to Florence Pugh, Watson's co-star in the upcoming Little Women film.

Scarlett Johansson’s ‘Black Widow’ Movie Adds Florence Pugh
Hey, cool! I like Florence Pugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Did Deadpool have any links to FoX-Men? Couldn't the few references just be that references and not like it was actually in continuity?
He saw all of the X-Men and Xavier in the mansion in Deadpool 2... though Deadpool 2 was set in 2018 and those movies' present was like the 1980s. So kind of?
Old 04-04-2019, 12:17 PM   #56
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Rachel Weisz is in talks for a part in the film. David Harbour from Stranger Things has also apparently joined the movie.

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/r...on-1203177636/
Old 06-07-2021, 03:26 PM   #57
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

If you’re vaccinated and feel like going back to the theater, here’s a good reason to go see the movie in IMAX.

https://deadline.com/2021/06/marvel-...io-1234770755/

Last edited by ranger_scout; 06-07-2021 at 04:34 PM. Reason: I made more post more clear.
Old 06-07-2021, 04:29 PM   #58
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
If you’re vaccinated, Hohenzollern here’s a good reason to go see the movie in IMAX.

https://deadline.com/2021/06/marvel-...io-1234770755/
I'm not sure what vaccination has to do with anything... can go to IMAX here and many/most states right now or even two months ago. I just read they're increasing capacity, too. No vaccine mandate.
Old 06-07-2021, 04:34 PM   #59
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Quote:
I'm not sure what vaccination has to do with anything... can go to IMAX here and many/most states right now or even two months ago. I just read they're increasing capacity, too. No vaccine mandate.
I just figured that people who are vaccinated are the ones who would want to go back to theaters. I should’ve been more clear in my previous post.
Old 06-07-2021, 04:36 PM   #60
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
I just figured that people who are vaccinated are the ones who would want to go back to theaters.
People have been filling theaters since Godzilla vs. Kong, when most people didn't have the vaccine. Which makes sense... since the COVID cases stemming from theaters is 0.