The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 05:23 PM   #21
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

It's like, really, really bothering people on a fundamental level that there are so many people out there willing to dig into their own pockets for the wall. They're pretending like they're just laughing at the people doing so but really it's just anger, pure and simple.

Social media is pretty hard to look at today, good gravy.
Old 12-20-2018, 05:25 PM   #22
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPliggins View Post
8 and a half million down, 991 and a half million to go..plus 4 billion. This'll happen in no time.

And another $20b, plus maintenance... maybe crowdfunding for that too?
Old 12-20-2018, 05:40 PM   #23
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
It's like, really, really bothering people on a fundamental level that there are so many people out there willing to dig into their own pockets for the wall. They're pretending like they're just laughing at the people doing so but really it's just anger, pure and simple.

Social media is pretty hard to look at today, good gravy.
it has been for the last two years.

it's not just trump derangement syndrome... at this point it's degraded into derangement syndrome.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Old 12-20-2018, 05:40 PM   #24
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Even if the wall isn't paid with tax-money, the project can hopefully be stopped before completion if Donald Trump loses in November 2020.

Meanwhile, time for a great song from days when walls were demolished and people didn't want anything to do with them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4RjJKxsamQ
Old 12-20-2018, 05:42 PM   #25
Vegita-San
Emperor

I just don't think a wall will be that effective.

Are there not ALREADY barriers/walls around to keep people out? yet somehow they get in. A wall would just stand as a symbol against illegal immigration more than anything.

Old 12-20-2018, 05:47 PM   #26
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

My thing is, a better wall may or may not be 100% effective... but it is doing something to deter illegal immigration. As opposed to nothing. As opposed to just talking.

At present illegal immigration costs well over $100 billion a year. If that puts even a 10% dent in that a year, it pays for itself in 3.

And Trump was pretty open about Mexico paying for the wall "one way or another." The new trade deal with Mexico does that over time, quickly. Win win, all across the boards.
Old 12-20-2018, 06:08 PM   #27
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
The biggest question is- what, ultimately, will be gained from it? It is unsightly, expensive, a detriment to the ecosystems along the border, and makes us look isolationist and paranoid as a nation. None of this is good. There are better ways to ensure "border security" than an ugly, environmentally hazardous, overpriced, and symbolically racist wall.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
Old 12-20-2018, 06:16 PM   #28
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
And Trump was pretty open about Mexico paying for the wall "one way or another." The new trade deal with Mexico does that over time, quickly. Win win, all across the boards.
Can you explain to me exactly how the new trade deal does this? I'm extremely familiar with NAFTA and understand the not so big changes they made to it when they decided to call it USMCA for PR purposes so I'm wondering how I missed this.
Old 12-20-2018, 06:21 PM   #29
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Question... Do people who donate to things on that site get their money back if something doesn't really go through with?

If it very possibly never gains near enough (esp since the goal is a far cry from the real price tag), or if there were issues still in the way of building a wall that prevents it from happening...do these people at least get their money back or is it just gone?

I see that the guy behind it is a Vet. I hope that if this proves futile and their money can't be returned that he'd at least use it for a good cause, perhaps for vets.
Old 12-20-2018, 06:28 PM   #30
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
The biggest question is- what, ultimately, will be gained from it? It is unsightly, expensive, a detriment to the ecosystems along the border, and makes us look isolationist and paranoid as a nation. None of this is good. There are better ways to ensure "border security" than an ugly, environmentally hazardous, overpriced, and symbolically racist wall.

It's hardly racist.

Coming here illegally, is, well, illegal. There is a law abiding process that must be followed if you want to properly contribute to the good will of this country. The GOOD people from Mexico know how to come here the PROPER way, just like every other modern country.

We are probably one of the very few countries that treat illegals better than actual citizens in some cases. other places you're more likely to get shot rather than sent back.

Old 12-20-2018, 06:30 PM   #31
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

"Illegal immigrant" is not a race.
Old 12-20-2018, 07:06 PM   #32
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Yet MOST of the illegal immigrants said wall would "stop" are Latino, ergo- racist. In other words, that wall was designed for ONE purpose ONLY- to keep Central and South Americans (mainly Latinos) out of the US. It's about as blatantly bigoted as you can get. It would stand as a silent declaration that "we don't want YOUR kind here". Because illegal immigrants from, say.... Russia, India, or China? Would NOT be coming over/through the stinking wall!! In other words, it is directed SOLELY toward ONE ethnicity! Which is racist. Pretty simple.

Old 12-20-2018, 08:35 PM   #33
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

I did calculations and the average per donation is $60 or the price of a brand new video game I wonder what the highest donation is ???
Old 12-20-2018, 08:43 PM   #34
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Yet MOST of the illegal immigrants said wall would "stop" are Latino, ergo- racist. In other words, that wall was designed for ONE purpose ONLY- to keep Central and South Americans (mainly Latinos) out of the US. It's about as blatantly bigoted as you can get. It would stand as a silent declaration that "we don't want YOUR kind here". Because illegal immigrants from, say.... Russia, India, or China? Would NOT be coming over/through the stinking wall!! In other words, it is directed SOLELY toward ONE ethnicity! Which is racist. Pretty simple.
I agree that we should not keep out or disenfranchise people based on their ethnicity.But that is not why we need to enforce immigration policy and protect our borders. Illegal Immigrants are a nuisance on our economy and resources. They undercut wages and take resources away from others who we really need to help. The people in Syria and other war torn countries need our help the most.....

I hate to spend more money on enforcing illegal immigration, but we need to do something... I am tired of these half-measures.... either all or nothing please!
Old 12-20-2018, 09:07 PM   #35
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer View Post
I hate to spend more money on enforcing illegal immigration, but we need to do something... I am tired of these half-measures.... either all or nothing please!
You do know illegal immigration fuels most of our blue collar jobs, right? You want any new buildings built, commercial or residential, you ain't getting university-degree blue-blood American citizens doing that. Or the food industry. Or harvesting crops.

Dirty little secret... nobody's ever gonna really put a stop to it.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:12 PM   #36
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Personally I've thought for a while that we need to build some kind of large facility at the border where people can stay, with just the basic amenities via solar/wind powered electricity, some kind of renewable water system, etc. Just the basics. Food is up to them. Maybe some charities could help and perhaps if they have money with them it could be a boon for vendors on either side of the border. It would be a safe place to go for people who really need to be there -- and while there they can fill out and submit their paper work for legal entry, and if they really need to they can stay there while they wait for approval (or rejection). Obviously it wouldn't stop the impatient who don't care, but for all those who'd at least care to do it legally, it would give them a place to stay for the time being instead of just trying to storm the gates or be locked up like in a detention center.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:25 PM   #37
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
You do know illegal immigration fuels most of our blue collar jobs, right? You want any new buildings built, commercial or residential, you ain't getting university-degree blue-blood American citizens doing that. Or the food industry. Or harvesting crops.

Dirty little secret... nobody's ever gonna really put a stop to it.
You realize that is a bs lie you just told

Most= more than 50%

Illegal immigrants account for less than 15% of the hispanic/Latino population

So it is statistically impossible for most blue collar jobs to be accounted for by illegals.

But they undercut wages bc employers know they can pay them less bc they are illegally here taking jobs away from blue collar unionized workers.

So try again please

edit for facts. lol foreigners legal and illegal account for only 17% of construction workers lol way off from "mostly"

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/forbrn.pdf
Old 12-20-2018, 09:53 PM   #38
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Depending on your area, he is actually right. Texas has a fairly high percentage of construction and food service jobs held by immigrants. I should know- I work with a whole store full of them. More than HALF our crew are primarily Spanish-speaking immigrants, and the same is true of almost every chain restaurant in our town- which is a rural community with a lot of immigrant agriculture and construction workers. Oil fields and rock-haulers, Or even truck drivers in general. They make up a big chunk of our population here. Most speak only basic or rudimentary English- as evidenced by how often they ask "Espaniol" when ordering. Many also still have family south of the border, too. Don't know about up north, but here, at least, he is absolutely correct!

Old 12-20-2018, 09:57 PM   #39
Roseangelo
Emperor

The stupidest thing about this is that people have just given some random dude $10M with no accountability to actually build a wall. This isn't Kickstarter where you aren't charged unless you reach the goal. This guy has $10M right now.
Old 12-20-2018, 11:03 PM   #40
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Depending on your area, he is actually right. Texas has a fairly high percentage of construction and food service jobs held by immigrants. I should know- I work with a whole store full of them. More than HALF our crew are primarily Spanish-speaking immigrants, and the same is true of almost every chain restaurant in our town- which is a rural community with a lot of immigrant agriculture and construction workers. Oil fields and rock-haulers, Or even truck drivers in general. They make up a big chunk of our population here. Most speak only basic or rudimentary English- as evidenced by how often they ask "Espaniol" when ordering. Many also still have family south of the border, too. Don't know about up north, but here, at least, he is absolutely correct!
How many of them are living in the nation illegally?

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
Closed Thread

Tags
jacking off