The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 03-18-2019, 11:48 AM   #1
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Love Death + Robots on Netflix

Anyone watching Love Death + Robots? It's a bunch of different shorts, different styles, different themes, most of them realistic CG which you don't normally see outside of video games, lots of violence, cursing and nudity to make clear it's not for kids. Such experimental styles by different people really remind me of Cartoon Network's What A Cartoon? and MTV's Liquid Television type shows where they let people be creative and see what stuck. Apparently this show started as a Heavy Metal reboot.

I'm halfway done and not all of them are great but some show potential and i just like the fact that this exists. i'm tired of cartoony looking CG, we've seen it so much over the past two decades and I don't get uncanny valley vibes from the realistic CG. I hope we get to see more stuff and overall the shorts feel very 90s, like let's go extreeeme because we can, I think the 90s are slowly making a comeback; I keep seeing jeans become a little baggier every year.

Last edited by sdp; 05-21-2021 at 10:25 PM.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 02:54 PM   #2
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I just finished the Dracula one (which was an odd duck... there was no love OR robots in it). The one before it with the hillbillies in mechs holding back the alien invasion is easily the best so far. It's so short, but still, by the end I completely felt for the characters.

Yeah, this all began as Heavy Metal 3. Kevin himself was working with Fincher to get a deal going, but never got the money.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 03:14 PM   #3
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Only watched Sonny's Edge so far.

Animation was great, loved the creature designs, but the story seems pretty edgy for edgy's sake.

Makes sense it was a Heavy Metal reboot or whatever.
Old 03-21-2019, 03:19 PM   #4
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Animation was great, loved the creature designs, but the story seems pretty edgy for edgy's sake.
You'll find the stories radically vary from episode to episode.

Also, I was a little bit unclear in that first one...

Spoiler:
The main girl had gotten banged up/"sliced up"... so she somehow uploaded her human brain into a computer, who then can take control of her new android body (and in turn, take control of that beast?)? Or was she always an android that got banged up/"sliced up," with a computer backup? Was the computer like some kind of cloud-based thing? Was her actual brain somewhere, hooked up to a computer? I didn't get it.
Old 03-21-2019, 03:41 PM   #5
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

I saw it.

It's literally sexist.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 03:51 PM   #6
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papenbrook View Post
I saw it.

It's literally sexist.
If you think that, then I feel I have to check it out.

Edit: Seen three episodes now, I kind of want a blu-ray already.
Hahahaha!

Last edited by neatoman; 03-21-2019 at 05:04 PM.
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 07:15 PM   #7
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post

Spoiler:
The main girl had gotten banged up/"sliced up"... so she somehow uploaded her human brain into a computer, who then can take control of her new android body (and in turn, take control of that beast?)? Or was she always an android that got banged up/"sliced up," with a computer backup? Was the computer like some kind of cloud-based thing? Was her actual brain somewhere, hooked up to a computer? I didn't get it.
I'm looking forward to more, but saving them for when I only have a few minutes to watch something.

I thought her brain was primarily in the monster, not the computer... yeah, it was a tad unclear.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:57 PM   #8
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I agree not all the stories are winners but some are salvageable and the series shows potential. I still have 2 shorts left and so far only 2 stories are worth rewatching, but I've enjoyed watching them all, the worst one for me so far is the Russian one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
, but the story seems pretty edgy for edgy's sake.

I think it's the appeal of the show, it's 90s edgy or even early 00's edgy, it's refreshing,

Quote:

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
They make it fairly clear in the end that her mind is in the monsters, hence why she says that what makes her powerful is that her mind is literally in the beast and she doesn't just control it it's her. The other body is what is not really her and is controlled.

That short is Pokemon if Pokemon was for adults if you think about it lol
Old 03-22-2019, 12:19 AM   #9
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

Quote:

Spoiler:
I was confused by that, too. I thought she was actually the monster. . .

Oddly, this was my favorite one so far. I've only watched the first three, though.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:23 AM   #10
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltron View Post
I was confused by that, too. I thought she was actually the monster. . .

Oddly, this was my favorite one so far. I've only watched the first three, though.
I was totally lost. I thought I took a too loud bite of my teriyaki or something and missed a big revelation there at the end... but I didn't think so. They suddenly threw a lot of stuff at us.

And it is definitely the strongest of the first three. Keep trucking forth. The hillbilly mech people episode is great. That could have easily been a full feature, if refocused.
Old 03-26-2019, 04:42 AM   #11
Egon1982
Hench Mutant

I'm a fan of Heavy Metal, Robot Carnival, Liquid TV and other anthologies and this show was cool.
Egon1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 04:53 AM   #12
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

watched up to episode 10 and I'm really enjoying this. The great thing about anthology series is that you skip all that drama ******** you have to build for 3 seasons and get right to the good stuff. There's so many characters that I love in this, Sonnie is so cool and badass, Gary and Crazy Mel are fantastic, and the Three Robots are the best.

Really enjoying the various art styles and the animation is so good.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 09:03 AM   #13
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Three Robots is definitely my favorite.

Starting to feel a bit diminishing returns, though. I liked Sonnie's Edge even though it was uber-90's, and Beyond the Aquila Rift was quite good, too.

I'm realizing that the short span of these stories, though, isn't leaving a lot of room for unpredictability. I don't like being able to predict each and every story beat (with the exception of, say, cats in the Dracula one) and it's been that way for me for about five or six of the episodes.
Old 03-29-2019, 11:13 PM   #14
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I never replied after watching them all, overall I want more, I liked that these things exist. None of the shorts are excellent, some had neat ideas. Have I mentioned I want more? I just love that a platform gave a chance for these crazy stories to exist, no doubt some could be polished into something better or some creative teams behind them could do something great.
Old 03-30-2019, 10:46 PM   #15
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
I haven't watched this, but I just saw a clip in my fb feed of the three robots, and a cat, which was pretty funny. Makes me wish I had Netflix.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 11:18 PM   #16
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
I haven't watched this, but I just saw a clip in my fb feed of the three robots, and a cat, which was pretty funny.
Eh, it was OK. Beyond the Aquila Rift was pretty haunting... might be my new favorite. It's between that one and the aforementioned hillbilly mech people vs. the alien invasion one.

The one with the unlucky 13 fighter ship was pretty good, too. By the end I felt for an inanimate object (the ship), so that's a big feat.

I imagine a lot of people are going to come out of these saying the one with the wolf lady that becomes a steam-powered avenging fox is the best, but I didn't care for that one. It's pretty empty, if visually engaging. There's really no takeaway from it.
Old 03-31-2019, 09:38 AM   #17
Egon1982
Hench Mutant

Does this show remind anyone of Heavy Metal and Robot Carnival?
Egon1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 02:30 PM   #18
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egon1982 View Post
Does this show remind anyone of Heavy Metal and Robot Carnival?
It should. It was almost Heavy Metal 3 a bunch of years ago. When Kevin was pitching it.
Old 03-31-2019, 09:53 PM   #19
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Eh, it was OK. Beyond the Aquila Rift was pretty haunting... might be my new favorite. It's between that one and the aforementioned hillbilly mech people vs. the alien invasion one.

The one with the unlucky 13 fighter ship was pretty good, too. By the end I felt for an inanimate object (the ship), so that's a big feat.

I imagine a lot of people are going to come out of these saying the one with the wolf lady that becomes a steam-powered avenging fox is the best, but I didn't care for that one. It's pretty empty, if visually engaging. There's really no takeaway from it.
Yeah, the kitsune one bored me.
Old 03-31-2019, 10:51 PM   #20
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

I watched the whole series. Those were awesome. A few of them were awesome enough to be their own series.

I think Good Hunting and Suits are the top for me. Secret War is up there, too.

That's not to say the other one's weren't fun, though.