The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 02-05-2018, 10:14 PM   #3021
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

This

Hot diggity, that pushes my desire for actual sewing lessons.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:17 PM   #3022
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Bought myself (online) a pretty tanto last night.

While I still don't believe in getting a katana "just because" and believe in earning that right someday (and a decent quality one, not just some cheap and untrustworthy wall hanger), even if that personal rule is only between me, myself, and I... (Plus that would be out of budget right now anyway.) However, for it's smallest sibling I can make an exception.

I've browsed around eBay (I know, I'm sure it's probably not much of a go-to for quality... was just window shopping ideas) and elsewhere now and then, but never really saw any that spoke to me. Then I spotted a tanto on there Friday night that actually did and grabbed my attention.

Spoiler:

Loving the stormy wave design and chunky guard. (Not so sure that would properly count as a tsuba (?), but no matter... edit: Hamidashi tsuba, if I'm understanding right.)

Saw it first on eBay but went digging around online to try to figure out more of a source, info on it, reviews etc... Not overly high priced ($155.99 reg price, on sale for $129.99, but found their cheaper listing, PLUS an extra 20% off 'coupon' right now, via Amazon ) -- and honestly I can't determine what is actually a moderate reasonable price for a decent enough tanto anyhow - so I'm not going to expect too much, but the people who have one and posted reviews all seem quite happy with it.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 02-18-2018 at 04:32 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 04:20 PM   #3023
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

I just found the perfect tutorial to help me with my problem set, and I'm so stoked that I understand this process now.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:59 PM   #3024
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Random customer questions you don't expect, but in this case the non-annoying kind.

First this lady was asking if I'd seen her earring she thinks she lost in the store on Saturday (sadly I haven't), then, upon walking away she had a quick second question... if there was possibly a place she could take the item she had out of the box and plug it in to make sure it works.

She had a toaster oven.

No... We're not really supposed to let them take stuff out of the box. If it was something else more harmless that wasn't in a box I might have looked around for a second for an outlet, but a toaster oven... eh... how about no.

I understand the concern since all sales are final now, but I told her I was sure if she had issue then contacting the maker of the brand would probably be fine.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:46 PM   #3025
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Matt Ryan who plays Constantine was posting pics of John from various comics during the airing of the LOT episode with John. I posted one of my favorite pics of John from one of my comics and he liked my reply.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:35 PM   #3026
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Got my (big) tanto yesterday and quite happy with it. For that price range, I think I chose well. (Have spent much of yesterday evening and this evening researching and comparing.)

Was very surprised to see the hamon on it. I had kind of hoped for that, though the example images online didn't show any hint of one, nor did details even mention it, so that was a surprise. I'm pretty certain that it's likely only cosmetic, which given the price I'm not too surprised and accepting of that. But if the hamon is fake then it's a rather well done fake and doesn't seem to follow the typical styles of the fakes I've looked at online and confuses me a bit and would like to know how that one was done.

i.e. In the group of six examples on this site here, under where they ask "can you spot the fake?," the appearance looks a lot like pics 1 & 4 (real ones) - not the fake #6, nor the etched-over #3 - and isn't seen well, or at all, unless in a good angle under light, then it pops out quite well. (Thoughts?)

(edit: Mine is 1080 and likely oil quenched.)

It's still looking a bit grimy as it came to me (it came plenty oiled up) as I haven't had the chance to clean it off (and re-oil of course), but will probably do that tomorrow and get a better look.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 02-16-2018 at 08:43 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:14 AM   #3027
newfan
Mad Scientist

Little things, like blue sky and sunshine when I walk out the door today...more rain and it might start to feel like I'm on planet Dagobah.

Trip to the movies with the children as schools out, course that meant a kid movie but still, Coco wasn't terrible and I'll be happy to see Hotel Transylvania and Incredibles 2 when they come out.

Last edited by newfan; 02-20-2018 at 07:20 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 11:36 AM   #3028
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Happy makers...

Off work today while it's in the 70s outside and windows open in February.

Only one home right now so there's some much appreciated peace and quite for a bit.

And the grocery store Monopoly game sweepstakes is back. Got a decent amount of freebies last year and hope to again. It was timely last year that it helped a little when work cut hours so bad there was no work for the month of April. (And now that the store is closing in that same month...)
Old 02-21-2018, 12:17 PM   #3029
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

update from the gear grinder, finally got my turtle to eat a thing. Fed the monsters chicken today, and she was still unresponsive to food, so I took extra measures. I picked her up from the basking spot, egged her with a piece of chicken until she bit it, and laid her down in a bath so she could eat. It worked and she was really ferocious eating that chicken piece, so that's good.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 05:58 PM   #3030
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

In the middle of scripting my first "official" work for a contest is what made me happy. I have the story planned, it's just figuring out the rest.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:41 PM   #3031
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldMutant View Post
In the middle of scripting my first "official" work for a contest is what made me happy. I have the story planned, it's just figuring out the rest.
That's great, Gold! I'm sure you'll do a wonderful job!
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 06:43 PM   #3032
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I got our bathroom nicely cleaned up.

And on Breath of the Wild...[CDI Link voice] I defeated Ganon![/CDI Link voice]

My brother and sister in law are here with their dog.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:53 PM   #3033
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Chatting with the nice security guy today who was on my floor eyeing one or more people. (Apparently repeat offenders he's familiar with.) Mentioned to him some guy I'd seen Tues. that seemed a little suspicious and had said "How are you" to me and then "God bless you" (before heading into the bathroom, I think to try to steal something) which isn't something people say all that often around here. Security guy asked if he wasn't by chance a tall guy with a puffy black jacket...? YUP. Because, assuming it's the same one, he told me the guy was trying to steal a bunch of pants in the men's fitting room the other day...while singing "Jesus loves me" to himself the entire time. The heck? Trying way too hard to look innocent or is he trying to make himself feel better about shop lifting? We get some odd characters in that place...

But, yeah, taking care of that floor by myself for the majority of my shift, it was kinda nice to chat with this guy for a few. Have never even caught his name, since up until recently security have always stayed pretty scarce, but I guess with the increased foot traffic due to us closing come April and people trying to screw us over more than ever, he's had to start making his presence known more on the floor. Esp around those he said know who he is, as he's dealt with them before. Can't say I mind, he seems like a pretty nice guy and not bad looking either.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:43 PM   #3034
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Ooh, maybe you could strike up a "friendship"? Who knows, maybe something good might come out of even something as sad as the store closing. I dunno- I'm just a hopeless romantic.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:44 PM   #3035
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I'd be lying if I said thoughts haven't gone in that direction just a little.

I've tried to fight it off because I don't want to assume anything, as for all I know he may be taken (or goodness knows too young, though I doubt it), but at the very least it's been quite a while since someone has tweaked my interest a little so it's nice to know that part is still alive and kicking, and who knows... lol
Old 02-22-2018, 11:36 PM   #3036
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

I am finally working a job within my college campus, and it'll be working with visual media. It's my first ever work-study job, so that's pretty cool.

It is actually the second time that I got to do some work on campus - the first time was volunteering at our on-campus radio station. Basically, I screened the CD's for the explicit stuff so that the DJ's didn't have to worry about any bad language 'slips' during their broadcasts.

~ John Adams
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 07:14 PM   #3037
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Just got a couple new cats to socialize before they can get adopted.

They're the brother and sister of one of the cats that our housemate adopted.
At the moment, they're on my armoire on a cat bed, but area little more relaxed than when they first arrived.

...I need to be a certified cat behaviorist...if I could get paid to do this kind of stuff, it would be great.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:25 PM   #3038
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Game group took a break from the campaign to go see Black Panther today. Great flick! Really liked the visuals- all the various tribes, the action scenes, the costumes, and especially the effects. Great soundtrack, too. Had a good time, and then we came back and divvied up the treasure from the dragon's horde in last week's game.

Old 02-24-2018, 07:30 PM   #3039
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

My boyfriend and I tried to watch Black Panther last night, but the theaters were packed multiple shows in a row and the best one we could get was too late into the night.

So we had to schedule waaaaay ahead to Tuesday when there were plenty of open seats.
Old 02-24-2018, 08:10 PM   #3040
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Did not have that problem here. Plenty of seats on a weekend, even with all the hype and only getting there about twenty minutes before the show. Small town theater with a very heavy "redneck" pooulation- less interest, and we had the best seats in the house, since I went in ahead and got us a row right on the middle walkway so we didn't have anyone in front of us to block the view.