The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 08-04-2014, 01:22 PM   #241
Puddinpop
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugehen View Post
I can't help but notice an apparent double standard here with review for TMNT vs Gaurdians of the Galaxy. I haven't seen TMNT yet so what I say should be taken in stride. But with GotG it's got such a high RT score with critics embracing its ludicracy and cheesy humor. But of course with the TMNT its too ridiculous to take seriously. Sure there's a fart joke in TMNT and that's stupid, but there were numerous dick jokes in GotG and no one bats an eye.
Don't forget the black light joke lol. I really enjoyed GOTG. I'll actually admit that it's my favorite Marvel film.. by far. But it had the same exact plot as Age of Extinction and both plots were very messy imo. TMNT and GOTG are equally as ludicrous to me.. But I totally agree with you 100%. The plot can have wholes and be extremely generic when it has the Marvel tag on it. If it has a Bay tag.. forget it. Double standards are very obvious. No way around it. Shell tightening.. offensive.. Black light semen joke? No problem.
Puddinpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:23 PM   #242
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugehen View Post
I can't help but notice an apparent double standard here with review for TMNT vs Gaurdians of the Galaxy. I haven't seen TMNT yet so what I say should be taken in stride. But with GotG it's got such a high RT score with critics embracing its ludicracy and cheesy humor. But of course with the TMNT its too ridiculous to take seriously. Sure there's a fart joke in TMNT and that's stupid, but there were numerous dick jokes in GotG and no one bats an eye.
I think a part of that might be whether or not there's anything "more" to it than that. Two movies can have similar jokes and content, but one might tap into some "deeper" meaning or emotion than the other and feel like a fuller story. Or might handle that material in a different, more compelling/interesting way. At least in the opinion of the reviewer, at least.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:29 PM   #243
The Boston Ninja Turtle
Mad Scientist

if i movie a driven by the jokes it becomes one of those "scary movie" type films

im not saying tmnt is like that but atleast from what ive heard the script is written around the st up of the "jokes"

https://www.facebook.com/TheBostonNinjaTurtle
The Boston Ninja Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:47 PM   #244
guppy8466
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Farago View Post
Official runtime of the movie is listed at 101 minutes. It's a tight, fast movie.
That's a little less than what I would like, but as long this movie does the franchise and fans justice and remain true to core elements I'm fine w that. Plus we're definitely getting a sequel and hopefully a trilogy out of this, they would be dumb not to. The release is getting so close! I can feel my shell tightening!
guppy8466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:51 PM   #245
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Just noticed Rotten Tomatoes adding another review, So far 3 Fresh, 4 Rotten, Still at 50%, The newest review which is rotten, Coming from Topless Robot
http://www.toplessrobot.com/2014/08/...nitwits_in.php

Here's a quote from it.
Quote:
The way people have been talking about Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, you'd think Michael Bay directed it. After seeing it, you may wish he had. I did.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:54 PM   #246
The Boston Ninja Turtle
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Just noticed Rotten Tomatoes adding another review, So far 3 Fresh, 4 Rotten, Still at 50%, The newest review which is rotten, Coming from Topless Robot
http://www.toplessrobot.com/2014/08/...nitwits_in.php

Here's a quote from it.
not to start nothing but thats actually not a positive review, the guy pretty much said it was crap and the only way its acceptable would be if bay himself directed it

https://www.facebook.com/TheBostonNinjaTurtle
The Boston Ninja Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:57 PM   #247
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boston Ninja Turtle View Post
not to start nothing but thats actually not a positive review, the guy pretty much said it was crap and the only way its acceptable would be if bay himself directed it
Which is why its seen as Rotten.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:08 PM   #248
LincolnHawk
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by guppy8466 View Post
That's a little less than what I would like, but as long this movie does the franchise and fans justice and remain true to core elements I'm fine w that. Plus we're definitely getting a sequel and hopefully a trilogy out of this, they would be dumb not to. The release is getting so close! I can feel my shell tightening!
was hoping it was more aroud 120min
Old 08-04-2014, 02:14 PM   #249
Radical Raph
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Official runtime of the movie is listed at 101 minutes. It's a tight, fast movie.
I wonder if this has anything to do with them having to cut certain scenes with Fichtner to accommodate him no longer playing Shredder.

Radical Raph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 02:17 PM   #250
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by guppy8466 View Post
Well as a fan it doesn't feel like it's doing me or the franchise justice but hey I'm just one guy. Given the numbers it's predicted to make I'd say a sequel talk is a li'l optimistic.

In fact I'm not sure I'd want one unless they did a Hulk/Incredible Hulk were it's visually and tonaly different and be a case that as "well it can be a taken as a sequel or it could be taken as a reboot, it's up to you".
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 02:18 PM   #251
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Honestly That's an even better Runtime then the previous movies.

TMNT 1990 = 1 Hour 33 Minutes
TMNT 2: The Secret of the Ooze = 1 Hour 28 Minutes
TMNT 3: Turtles in Time = 1 Hour 36 Minutes
TMNT 2007 = 1 Hour 27 Minutes
TMNT 2014 = 1 Hour 41 Minutes

The new film is practically the longest of all 5 films, Surpassing the running time of Turtles In Time.

Given the stuff that ended up in the cutting room floor
Old 08-04-2014, 02:23 PM   #252
SwiftNinjaFox
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Honestly That's an even better Runtime then the previous movies.

TMNT 1990 = 1 Hour 33 Minutes
TMNT 2: The Secret of the Ooze = 1 Hour 28 Minutes
TMNT 3: Turtles in Time = 1 Hour 36 Minutes
TMNT 2007 = 1 Hour 27 Minutes
TMNT 2014 = 1 Hour 41 Minutes

The new film is practically the longest of all 5 films, Surpassing the running time of Turtles In Time.

Given the stuff that ended up in the cutting room floor
Eh, and extra 5-9 minutes?

I've always wondered, does the run time include credits? I thought it did, which I would be there are way more credits on this one. Films these days seem to have much larger crews and CG heavy ones WAY more.

Plus Liebesman said it's about 90 minutes, didn't he? Figure 90 minutes + 10 minutes credits would make sense.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:25 PM   #253
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftNinjaFox View Post
Eh, and extra 5-9 minutes?

I've always wondered, does the run time include credits? I thought it did, which I would be there are way more credits on this one. Films these days seem to have much larger crews and CG heavy ones WAY more.

Plus Liebesman said it's about 90 minutes, didn't he? Figure 90 minutes + 10 minutes credits would make sense.
Yeah Runtime typically include the credits and post credit scenes if there was any.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:29 PM   #254
Warhorse
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical Raph View Post
I wonder if this has anything to do with them having to cut certain scenes with Fichtner to accommodate him no longer playing Shredder.
I heard they cut some scenes where April gets to kick some butt. If they cut scenes that involve the humans, I'm OK with that, it's when they cut scenes that can expand on the Turtles more is when I get pissed off. I still think the 1990 movie would have benefited more if there was some extra scenes on the farm concerning more Mikey and the getting back to training mode.
Warhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 02:48 PM   #255
guppy8466
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
Well as a fan it doesn't feel like it's doing me or the franchise justice but hey I'm just one guy. Given the numbers it's predicted to make I'd say a sequel talk is a li'l optimistic.

In fact I'm not sure I'd want one unless they did a Hulk/Incredible Hulk were it's visually and tonaly different and be a case that as "well it can be a taken as a sequel or it could be taken as a reboot, it's up to you".
I completely understand stand where people are put off by this new take. Me personally tho am pretty open minded to new takes on things, as long as it's done well. Not just taking something and just randomly taking out parts and replacing them with something else and just saying, bc I thought it would be cool. As long as they take the time to explain the changes they've made and fill us in to why they did throughout the movie or just in a quick scene. Nothing worse than walking out of a movie and thinking, 'wtf just happened?!'. If I knew how to add pics to my post this is where I would place willem Dafoe from the platoon movie poster
guppy8466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 03:56 PM   #256
Vicky82
Emperor

Gone down to 38% now

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/teen..._turtles_2013/

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 03:56 PM   #257
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky82 View Post
Yep, 3 Fresh 5 Rotten, The review came from Cinemablend
http://www.cinemablend.com/reviews/T...les-66268.html
Quote:
Entirely hollow, poorly put together, and will require an audience on its level of stupidity to survive. Don't be one of its supporters.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:01 PM   #258
Bmaga123
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Yep, 3 Fresh 5 Rotten, The review came from Cinemablend
http://www.cinemablend.com/reviews/T...les-66268.html
It doesn't help when most critics are not fans of the Ninja Turtles and probably had there opinion made up well before seeing the film
Bmaga123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 04:03 PM   #259
Radical Raph
Stone Warrior

Seriously, did most people expect it to get good reviews?

I was cautiously optimistic at best. I have a feeling most critics were already prepared to hate this thing. But the legitimate sounding critiques about awkward editing does have me a bit worried. Nothing pulls you out of a story like bad editing... or perhaps editing that was designed to hide certain story details...

Radical Raph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 04:08 PM   #260
voltron80
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmaga123 View Post
It doesn't help when most critics are not fans of the Ninja Turtles and probably had there opinion made up well before seeing the film
Regarding critics:

voltron80 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reviews