The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 06-15-2018, 08:21 AM   #1
cammy85
Stone Warrior

Movie blurays

Hey, all!! Who here has had experience with this movie Blu-ray set?

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...m2162497.aspx?

I've heard mixed reviews after the fact which I should've read first. It was either this or a four part DVD set. Who else has this that could shed some light on it? Thanks.
cammy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 10:07 PM   #2
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammy85 View Post
Hey, all!! Who here has had experience with this movie Blu-ray set?

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...m2162497.aspx?

I've heard mixed reviews after the fact which I should've read first. It was either this or a four part DVD set. Who else has this that could shed some light on it? Thanks.
The 4 Film Favorites (Blu Ray) and the Blu Ray gift set are the same discs. The transfers aren't perfect, but they are far better than the DVD editions.

For some reason, people think "Blu Ray" means "no grain," but the grain is a part of the film. In the case of the first film, it is the result of the dark, moody photography, and I believe the heavy grain during the flashback shots were a stylistic choice. However, the noise, which is sometimes confused with grain, is not as prominent as it was on the DVD version. (On the DVD, when Casey sneaks into the warehouse, the shot had so much noise, it had the same quality as watching a basic channel with bad reception on a tube television.)
sgtfbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 06:35 AM   #3
bwwd
Hench Mutant

Heavy grain on origin story was because Steve used 16mm film on it as stylistic choice to make it old but producers werent that happy about it and it almost didnt made it to the film.Normally its shot on 35mm.
First movie is dark because comics were and its was great choice.
Old 06-16-2018, 02:18 PM   #4
cammy85
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtfbomb View Post
The 4 Film Favorites (Blu Ray) and the Blu Ray gift set are the same discs. The transfers aren't perfect, but they are far better than the DVD editions.

For some reason, people think "Blu Ray" means "no grain," but the grain is a part of the film. In the case of the first film, it is the result of the dark, moody photography, and I believe the heavy grain during the flashback shots were a stylistic choice. However, the noise, which is sometimes confused with grain, is not as prominent as it was on the DVD version. (On the DVD, when Casey sneaks into the warehouse, the shot had so much noise, it had the same quality as watching a basic channel with bad reception on a tube television.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwwd View Post
Heavy grain on origin story was because Steve used 16mm film on it as stylistic choice to make it old but producers werent that happy about it and it almost didnt made it to the film.Normally its shot on 35mm.
First movie is dark because comics were and its was great choice.
Thanks, guys!! Yeah, I figured it's just part of the charm/transfer. I'm happy just to have them. I also read that Splinter's story to Danny in the first movie has a lost of sound issues too for example.
cammy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 11:00 AM   #5
cloud
Stone Warrior

I like the release. Best resolution so far with all 3 movies.
Too bad there's no bonus material with them not even short interviews or TV spots.
cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 09:51 PM   #6
Welmanshire
Hench Mutant

Watching SOTO on Bluray right now. Pleasantly surprised by the quality of it. Noticing a lot of detail in the picture that I hadn't before.

The cover is terrible though -
Welmanshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 06:56 AM   #7
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

I have the 3 original movies on Blu-Ray as well. But they did a poor job on the transfer. You have that film grain all over it. Its like they didn't do any cleaning after the transfer. They just transferred straight from the film and did nothing else with it. Movies today don't have that film grain since they digitally remaster them.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:29 AM   #8
raph27
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
I have the 3 original movies on Blu-Ray as well. But they did a poor job on the transfer. You have that film grain all over it. Its like they didn't do any cleaning after the transfer. They just transferred straight from the film and did nothing else with it. Movies today don't have that film grain since they digitally remaster them.
Literally on the same page. Five posts above yours. Not too hard to find:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtfbomb View Post

For some reason, people think "Blu Ray" means "no grain," but the grain is a part of the film. In the case of the first film, it is the result of the dark, moody photography, and I believe the heavy grain during the flashback shots were a stylistic choice.
raph27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 07:15 PM   #9
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

If you think the Blu Ray is bad, check out the DVD version. It had a horrendous amount of noise. The scene where Casey sneaks into the warehouse looked like it was recorded off the USA Network on a crummy tube television with bad reception. The Blu Ray is a godsend compared to that.

Let's face it, the first movie will never look like a contemporary film. There are a number of contributors: the film stock, the lighting, some of it may even be by choice. Personally, I like it. It gives the film a gritty street vibe, kind of like The Warriors.

Last edited by sgtfbomb; 08-27-2018 at 04:36 AM.
sgtfbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 09:30 AM   #10
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Apparently according to one site (blu-ray.com?) the second film suffers the worst.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 10:38 PM   #11
THRILLHO
Mouser

so is the 4-film favorites bluray the best picture quality available on blu of the original 2 films? i own the trilogy on dvd and the 07 on blu but would double dip if these are the best available. i have an all region player so i'm not looking for strictly american releases.
THRILLHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 09:18 AM   #12
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

These movies need to be re-released and put out on 4K Blu-Ray. But they gotta clean them up. Because they would look 10x worst in 4k resolution.
Old 10-27-2019, 09:30 PM   #13
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
These movies need to be re-released and put out on 4K Blu-Ray. But they gotta clean them up. Because they would look 10x worst in 4k resolution.
I've never understood people who adamantly argue that they love film grain. I lost any taste for it, even in the smallest doses, the first time I watched my copy of 300 on HD-DVD during the 1080p format wars days.

And it drives me nuts when it resurfaces - my copy of the Fifth Element on Bluray looked better in 1080p than the 4k transfer I picked up.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 10:00 PM   #14
THRILLHO
Mouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
I've never understood people who adamantly argue that they love film grain. I lost any taste for it, even in the smallest doses, the first time I watched my copy of 300 on HD-DVD during the 1080p format wars days.

And it drives me nuts when it resurfaces - my copy of the Fifth Element on Bluray looked better in 1080p than the 4k transfer I picked up.
some of us dont like the actors to look like wax figures.
Old 10-28-2019, 08:55 AM   #15
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by THRILLHO View Post
some of us dont like the actors to look like wax figures.
Hm. I don't like that either. But I've never experienced that on my setup, either in cinema replication or in a high frame rate. Strange.

By the way, welcome to the boards. Four posts in and you are already part of the vitriol poster crowd, with that tonality. -big thumb's up- Nice work!
Old 10-28-2019, 09:05 AM   #16
THRILLHO
Mouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
Hm. I don't like that either. But I've never experienced that on my setup, either in cinema replication or in a high frame rate. Strange.

By the way, welcome to the boards. Four posts in and you are already part of the vitriol poster crowd, with that tonality. -big thumb's up- Nice work!
Predator and T2 are huge examples of this. so bad that they were redone by the studios.

vitriol? you're an extremist. you're the first i've heard of the "no grain please ever" crowd. it doesnt look like a movie at that point. 300 is nearly entirely green screen anyways, it looks like a video game on par with the prequels.
Old 10-28-2019, 04:01 PM   #17
Ninjinister
無問題

Since Blu-Rays have massive storage, I think the best thing to do for like an "essential" release would be to have both a good original transfer and a cleaned-up version. That way there's options for who want either/or, or to make a comparison. I feel that way for most things that are released on more modern formats where there would be enough room for both the original presentation and a remaster. Of course, they'd have to factor in whether it's worth it for them to do it, but if they're doing the remaster anyway it'd be less of a tough choice.
Old 10-28-2019, 04:03 PM   #18
THRILLHO
Mouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
Since Blu-Rays have massive storage, I think the best thing to do for like an "essential" release would be to have both a good original transfer and a cleaned-up version. That way there's options for who want either/or, or to make a comparison. I feel that way for most things that are released on more modern formats where there would be enough room for both the original presentation and a remaster. Of course, they'd have to factor in whether it's worth it for them to do it, but if they're doing the remaster anyway it'd be less of a tough choice.
this reminds me of the SW original trilogy special editions dvds that included the unaltered originals as a bonus feature.
Old 10-28-2019, 05:15 PM   #19
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welmanshire View Post
Watching SOTO on Bluray right now. Pleasantly surprised by the quality of it. Noticing a lot of detail in the picture that I hadn't before.

The cover is terrible though -
https://www.jbhifi.co.nz/FileLibrary...61574-L-HI.jpg
The cover is great for fans of the 1991 and 1993 TMNT sequels. Surprised Paige Turco from either sequel was not on the cover.

Last edited by mikey0; 10-28-2019 at 05:46 PM.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 10:15 PM   #20
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by THRILLHO View Post
vitriol? you're an extremist. you're the first i've heard of the "no grain please ever" crowd. it doesnt look like a movie at that point. 300 is nearly entirely green screen anyways, it looks like a video game on par with the prequels.
Did you just call me an extremist because I don't prefer film grain?

Go create a thread where you post your home theater calibration (if you're old enough to actually own a home theater, which I'm guessing is no). All of your settings are probably at ten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
Sounds like a great idea for a modern rebranding of the Superbit or Criterion collections....... One of the best releases akin to what you are getting at would still be Blade Runner's HD was release. The 4k transfer of the film is nice and not overly grainy -ahem-, but you can't beat the content in that 1080p release....