The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > 4Kids TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 06-30-2023, 10:00 AM   #61
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

Was that when 4Kids still controlled the show? I recall that Region 2 DVD being very well-designed and clearly produced by people who knew what they were doing, so they probably made a specific request to 4Kids for the full cut.

However the definitive version for 4Kids was the broadcast cut. That's the version they used most often, so they labeled it as the master copy. That's what got sent to Viacom, with any other versions either being passed over or misplaced.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 10:13 AM   #62
CyberCubed
Overlord

I don't know how this stuff works, is there no way to send them a DVD of that version and use it officially and copy it over? I guess it's probably too late though since I imagine these DVDs are already being printed and ready to ship out to retailers.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 10:19 AM   #63
TheSkeletonMan939

It likely is too late. I am sure there are legal problems with that also as Viacom would only want MovieZyng to use files sourced from their archives, not anywhere else. Not to mention possible complications from a PAL to NTSC conversion.
Old 06-30-2023, 10:21 AM   #64
CyberCubed
Overlord

Very weird. So I guess no bonus features either? Like those T-file shorts that had new animation, the Mayhem from Monster Island shorts, any of that?
Old 06-30-2023, 10:25 AM   #65
TheSkeletonMan939

No bonus features either. I don't know much about it either but I assume MovieZyng asked for whatever Viacom had for the main series. They would have to specifically ask or search for any ancillary features, like the T-files or those Peace Nova shorts. I know to you or me it seems natural to include those, but if Viacom has them I assume they're labeled as advertisements given their length, and not stored with the rest of the show.

Also I checked and the Region 2 DVD actually has the Nickelodeon logo. Not sure why Viacom apparently couldn't find it for this one. As I said my assumption is that the broadcast edit is flagged as the master copy, and over time the uncut version was left behind as data and files were reorganized.
Old 06-30-2023, 10:27 AM   #66
CyberCubed
Overlord

Well, all those shorts are on youtube or uploaded in other places last I checked, so I guess people can still watch them elsewhere. It's a shame not to have everything in one official release though.
Old 06-30-2023, 10:30 AM   #67
TheSkeletonMan939

Since we are talking about this stuff does anyone have a copy of all the images 4Kids used to post on their website? Character sheets, backgrounds, music clips, etc.?
Old 06-30-2023, 12:01 PM   #68
SaurusX
Random Punk

It shouldn't be forgotten that the R4 Mexican DVD release of Turtles Forever was both the uncut version and NTSC anamorphic. It had the Nick logo plastered all over it.
SaurusX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 01:18 PM   #69
CyberCubed
Overlord

I can't even comprehend how official companies do not own master versions of all the episodes they own. Like when Viacom purchased TMNT from Mirage/4kids, they should of gotten the entire 2k3 catalog, including all the shorts, uncut Turtles Forever, everything. Hell even those old Peter Laird interviews that were on the old 4kids DVDs back in 2003-2004 should of been archived and included on these collection.

Like how do fans do a better job archiving/saving this stuff than official companies who own it? It honestly doesn't make sense when you stop to think about it. Like it boggles the mind.
Old 06-30-2023, 04:42 PM   #70
TheSkeletonMan939

It's usual for people to own things but not keep them organized -- just shove them in the attic. Companies do it too. They receive these files but shuffle them around in ways that may not be intuitive, or put them in places that aren't immediately accessible.

For example Lucasfilm's music department has a poor archive and they can't find the masters for some of John Williams's music. Even the relatively recent ones like Phantom Menace. They allegedly just have files right off the retail CDs as their "master copies" for some tracks. There's a lot of content to deal with and there's no time or money for people to comb through it properly.

It'd be great if someone had those DVDs and made good copies of the bonuses -- I'm sure they could go on Archive.org without a problem.
Old 06-30-2023, 11:47 PM   #71
FlawedCoil82
Stone Warrior

Unhappy

That is a definite bummer. I have been trying ever since this set was announced to get a reply from them on Facebook, email, etc. but it is like trying to herd feral cats in a dark barn. I really wish that these companies would communicate with and involve fans of the show who know their stuff much better than the people who actually own and produce them. I hate when things are cut down or edited. I nearly had a stroke when I bought the “””Uncut””” DVDs of “The Ren & Stimpy Show” and noticed several cut scenes right away. The set is now totally worthless to me. So now I am STILL waiting for that show to get a worthy DVD release. The only saving grace with this TMNT set is that I do already own the Uncut “Turtles Forever” from the UK on DVD, but it would be nice to be able to watch it as a Region 1 disc so I could play it on any player. I will still buy this boxset but I am definitely bummed to hear that they provided only the bare essentials. We need real fans working for these places so that they can put out the best product possible.
FlawedCoil82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 11:55 PM   #72
CyberCubed
Overlord

I mean this set still does have all 155 episodes of the show collected in one place, and assumingly, all the episodes will be in their proper order for the first time unlike the old DVDs. So that alone is worth it.

The lack of bonus features or those shorts is a shame but they're all uploaded on youtube and other places. And I also own the UK Turtles Forever DVD just in case this one has cuts on it. So I think for any fan of this series, this is definitely worth picking up. And also to show your support for more 2k3 TMNT products in general, if this sells really well Viacom/Nick may promote the 2k3 franchise in other ways again as well (such as toys or a videogame collection).

So any fan of the 2k3 version of TMNT should support this if you want to possibly see more toward this incarnation in the future.
Old 07-03-2023, 05:57 AM   #73
The-Shredder
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkeletonMan939 View Post
Since we are talking about this stuff does anyone have a copy of all the images 4Kids used to post on their website? Character sheets, backgrounds, music clips, etc.?
tOkKa has a Flickr album.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/terrib...57603811053044

There is some original background music on this turtlepower.ru thread as well.

https://www.turtlepower.ru/showthread.php?t=516
The-Shredder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 09:03 AM   #74
SaurusX
Random Punk

I'm going to inject some more paranoia. Nick released a few discs of TMNT 2003 and they were all 4:3 in a 16:9 anamorphic box thereby killing a good amount of horizontal res. I'm really hoping that this release does not follow that example.
SaurusX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 12:00 PM   #75
CyberCubed
Overlord

This is on the product page, does anyone know who this is?

Quote:
Produced by:

Iman Kiashemshaki
Is this the guy in charge of the DVDs?
Old 07-04-2023, 02:10 AM   #76
D-ray
Foot Soldier

I already have the DVD collection myself, but hey, it's something. Nickelodeon sometimes recognizes the series.

Better late than never I guess!

VICTORY!"
D-ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 02:39 PM   #77
CyberCubed
Overlord

amazon has a pre-order sale for only $52.99:

https://www.amazon.com/Teenage-Mutan...ps%2C72&sr=8-2

I ordered a copy to show my support even though I already have all the eps online. If the DVD set turns out disappointing, I guess I could return it.

But after waiting like 15+ goddamn years for a proper 2003 DVD set with episodes in proper order, I feel like I have to support this. So I ordered a copy, let's hope it turns out to be a good set.
Old 07-16-2023, 03:47 PM   #78
Mad Dog McMutt
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
amazon has a pre-order sale for only $52.99:

https://www.amazon.com/Teenage-Mutan...ps%2C72&sr=8-2

I ordered a copy to show my support even though I already have all the eps online. If the DVD set turns out disappointing, I guess I could return it.

But after waiting like 15+ goddamn years for a proper 2003 DVD set with episodes in proper order, I feel like I have to support this. So I ordered a copy, let's hope it turns out to be a good set.
Damn, I wish that I would have waited for that sale before ordering a copy.
Mad Dog McMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 03:51 PM   #79
Mad Dog McMutt
Hench Mutant

Nevermind, I think that they gave me the sale price.
Mad Dog McMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 11:31 AM   #80
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

FYI, the complete series is on sale on Vudu right now in HD for $24.99. I don't think the movie is included.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote