The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 09-14-2019, 07:46 PM   #1
darthsmozers
Mad Scientist

Original playmates rerelease at GameStop

Looks cool!
https://www.superherohype.com/geek-c...rn-to-gamestop
darthsmozers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 09:51 PM   #2
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthsmozers View Post
The board members are discussing it in this thread: http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/sho...84#post1819084
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 11:35 AM   #3
darthsmozers
Mad Scientist

Ah, I assumed that thread was for another set...?
darthsmozers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 05:10 PM   #4
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Ah, I assumed that thread was for another set...?
It’s for both sets.
Old 09-15-2019, 11:09 PM   #5
cloud
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
It’s for both sets.
Not it's not. The thread just got hijacked :p

This Playmates re-release deserves to have it's own thread.
I don't know if this set will sell well. Just don't find it as appealing as the comic book box set.
Perhaps if they did some colour variation. Gray scale would be cool
cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 07:39 AM   #6
***First of Two Latin Kings***
Will not be censored

They should have included the weapons racks and spent more time on better packaging. This set is hot garbage that will wind up on clearance.
I can hear it now: "I'm sorry little April, I told you that if you didn't take good care of them I'd be taking them away. Now they are going to the lab to be abused for experimentation" (You could almost rewrite this as April caused the fire to get back at her father over it...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadiandrome View Post
Powder I'd not defend him, that's just how he gets

International shipping assistance: DARTHCJJ@GMAIL.COM
***First of Two Latin Kings*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 08:53 AM   #7
mikey0
Foot Elite

The 1998 to 1999 re-releases were great in terms of getting weapon racks and figures with far better paint apps, but the 2009 25th anniversary had better packaging. The ‘98 to ‘99 purple brick cards could be as good as it gets for original Turtles re-releases.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:09 AM   #8
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

I still have the 98 re-release MOC on my man cave wall... them and Panda Khan.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 10:27 AM   #9
mikey0
Foot Elite

Even the 1998 to 1999 re-releases were sold for more reasonable prices than these. Playmates is asking for almost $10 a turtle reissue and each turtle is missing the weapon rack they originally came with and paint apps close enough to the originals from 1988. That Raphael looks worst than some of the bootlegs released in different parts of the early 90s. It seems that as the 21st century goes on, the new Turtles re-releases makes you appreciate the last ones that came before them (in this case, the Classic Collection ones from the early to mid 2010s).

The late 1989 and 1990 first wave re-releases will be worth a whole lot more than any of the stuff from 1998 to now anyway. The front of the cards were the exact same ones as the ‘88s. 1990 was ultimately the year to be a Turtles fan. The soft heads and 2nd wave variants were still in the back-rooms and basements of small businesses while pop-up displays were at retailers at the start of the year. Also, the last impressive Turtles basic assortment toy variants (waves 4 and 5) were sold alongside the first ever re-releases (wave 1) by the end of ‘90.

Last edited by mikey0; 09-16-2019 at 11:22 AM.
Old 09-16-2019, 01:45 PM   #10
inaheap
Mad Scientist

I thought this might be of interest. http://www.in2013dollars.com/2019-do...1988?amount=10

Basically the cost per turtle has not changed much since their original release. The originals did come with a few more weapons.

We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing

When I became an adult I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.
inaheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 02:07 PM   #11
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by inaheap View Post
I thought this might be of interest. http://www.in2013dollars.com/2019-do...1988?amount=10

Basically the cost per turtle has not changed much since their original release. The originals did come with a few more weapons.
The fans deserve better regardless of that fact. Playmates should have gone in a different direction with these like cloud and Latin Kings mentioned. The Raphael looks like it fall apart due to cheaper plastic. Everything about these re-releases is off. After the release of these in late November, I’m sure many casual adult toy buyers will be wondering where the villain 4 pack with Shredder, Rocksteady, Foot Soldier, and Bebop is (like TMNTFanatic4Life and I Crave Pizza No More were saying in the aforementioned thread). Whether you’re a collector of 80s toy reissues or a member of the latest generation, you still need bad guys for your four turtles to fight. This was a bad move for Playmates. All they had to do was release the Walmart 35th Anniversary exclusive 4 pack.

These will be on clearance just in time to be Christmas presents.
Old 09-16-2019, 02:20 PM   #12
TommyT
Banned

Quote:
The fans deserve better regardless of that fact. Playmates should have gone in a different direction with these like cloud and Latin Kings mentioned. The Raphael looks like it fall apart due to cheaper plastic. Everything about these re-releases is off. After the release of these in late November, I’m sure many casual adult toy buyers will be wondering where the villain 4 pack with Shredder, Rocksteady, Foot Soldier, and Bebop is (like TMNTFanatic4Life and I Crave Pizza No More were saying in the aforementioned thread). Whether you’re a collector of 80s toy reissues or a member of the latest generation, you still need bad guys for your four turtles to fight. This was a bad move for Playmates. All they had to do was release the Walmart 35th Anniversary exclusive 4 pack.

These will be on clearance just in time to be Christmas presents.
You may not now, but have you ever worked in the past for Playmates? If not them, who?
TommyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 02:51 PM   #13
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Quote:
The Raphael looks like it fall apart due to cheaper plastic. Everything about these re-releases is off.
They look ok to me, I don't see the cheaper plastic you're talking about. This is a basic release for casuals who just want to have the classic turtles and their main weapon and don't care about the packaging. This is not aimed at collectors or fans who are likely to already have these figures.
There's no reason to be angry with Playmates.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 03:35 PM   #14
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_one View Post
They look ok to me, I don't see the cheaper plastic you're talking about. This is a basic release for casuals who just want to have the classic turtles and their main weapon and don't care about the packaging. This is not aimed at collectors or fans who are likely to already have these figures.
There's no reason to be angry with Playmates.
It could be the plastic molds used for the last Raphael reissues from 2013 and 2016. Difficult to tell from the press photos.

I’m not really angry with Playmates. These could have been handled a little differently though. I understand now that Playmates will be commemorating the release of their original Turtles figures from ‘88 in every time period within this century, but it seemed a bit unnecessary for them to do it with this release when the 2014 comic book turtle variants were given a redo. Everyone looks at the big picture differently, you know.
Old 09-25-2019, 08:59 AM   #15
DonnieLaForge
Stone Warrior

A picture on some guy's table means they are out at Gamestop?
He may have gotten a promotional copy somehow.
In fact he says further down:
Quote:
Got it through work, but it's a gamestop exclusive
I just want to know how I can be sure I will get all the things I preordered including this and 4 more foot soldiers now that Gamestop is undergoing upheaval and the foots aren't due until next year...
DonnieLaForge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 09:13 AM   #16
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieLaForge View Post
A picture on some guy's table means they are out at Gamestop?
He may have gotten a promotional copy somehow.
In fact he says further down:

I just want to know how I can be sure I will get all the things I preordered including this and 4 more foot soldiers now that Gamestop is undergoing upheaval and the foots aren't due until next year...
Thanks for correcting me. I deleted the post.

It’s baffling to few of members on here why Playmates did not release a 4 pack of the original villains to go with these turtles. This is a much odder release than the Walmart set. Consumers know that Playmates did not make original comic book versions of Shredder, Foot Soldier, Ultrom, and Foot Elite in 2014 like NECA did recently. I mean, we all know that original comic book villains appeared in the original Playmates toy line. What is the hold up from putting out a GameStop original villains 4 pack?! Playmates has been re-releasing all four original first wave villains on different cards from the original colored bricks now since 1994, so why can’t another set of re-releases be made for the 35th Anniversary set?

Last edited by mikey0; 09-25-2019 at 10:26 AM.
Old 09-25-2019, 09:44 AM   #17
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
An in hand pic is up on here: https://mobile.twitter.com/TheSewerD...98837215158273

The 4 original turtles are not being sold at GameStop until November 24th, though.

Last edited by mikey0; 09-25-2019 at 10:09 AM.
Old 09-27-2019, 08:57 AM   #18
mikey0
Foot Elite

A set like this would have made sense in 1988 if Playmates Toys intended for the original TMNT toy line to be a TV, Movie, and Comic Book Collectibles type line, but since so many other basic wave allies and villains were made that some Turtles toy collectors would like to see basic wave villains 4 pack to go with the set. Even the 1989 Tak-A-Toy 50th Anniversary The Wizard of Oz Poseable Collection had the witch included in it and that actually was a TV, Movie, and Comic Book Collectible toy line (not one posing as a boys action figure toy line) sold at toy stores in early ‘89. Playmates could have, at least, included Shredder [and Splinter].