Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 08-13-2020, 08:42 PM   #381
King Kahn
Foot Soldier

8.99 an issue, those better be big issues lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Thanks, Tom! Now we just need you to slip us some preview art.
And for anyone who can't click the link, Tom clarified that the official statement is that this comes down to scheduling and personal issues, not retailer reception. Also, they are re-doing the first issue and have a new colorist on board as well.
makes sense to make the entire series as a whole more consistent in look and feel.
King Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 05:42 AM   #382
Sharman
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kahn View Post

makes sense to make the entire series as a whole more consistent in look and feel.
I have to agree. It's always been easier (for me, at least) when the creative team are consistent. That said, when the artist changes on such a long running series as TMNT I see it as a breath of fresh air (even if style, detail - even costumes - have changed).
But, for a limited series, consistency is probably better.

I do hope we get a teaser soon ...
Sharman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 06:25 PM   #383
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:

Well the series is bi-monthly so it makes sense
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 07:11 PM   #384
Turnstone
Hench Mutant

According to Twitter, they?re starting completely over with the art? Guess that means my ashcan will be heading straight up in value.
Turnstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 09:22 PM   #385
CyberCubed
Overlord

The entire handling of this project and the communication behind it has been so bizarre, because it's so unlike anything IDW has put out TMNT wise in the past. Dropping Andy the original artist attached to this who already drew an issue and re-doing all the art from scratch with a new team, instead of say having the new art team start with issue #2 or something like that?

Not to mention the weird vague hinting this could be either in the Mirage or IDW universe, rather than saying directly. And then of course the original news that it was an old Peter Laird story when it's really not that either for the most part.

Like I know COVID and all and probably some behind the scenes issues happened, but ever since this mini-series was announced its been a roller coaster of mixed signals. Even now I don't know what to make of it.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 09:14 AM   #386
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

"But now there's a big change. Esau Escorza and Isaac Escorza, best known for their work on Tarna for Heavy Metal, are now joining the art team with Kevin Eastman, but Andy Kuhn is no longer listed on the creative team. Apparently, this stems from poor retailer reaction to The Last Ronin preview, and a new sampler is in the works."
https://bleedingcool.com/comics/kevi...-with-changes/

What is all this about?

Check out the best DC Comics site on the net:
http://new.dcuwiki.net/forums/index.php
Now featuring Ethan Van Sciver!

MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 10:06 AM   #387
Turnstone
Hench Mutant

The sad part is that do you know how big this would sell if they had managed to get Eastman and Laird to do the original art for it? It would never happen but man, that would be something.
Turnstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 10:09 AM   #388
AquaParade
Big Boss

I think were that ever to happen, it would be in a book published through Mirage. That's wild speculation, but it's based on getting a general feel for Peter's sensibilities over the years. And it would be that much cooler, wouldn't it?
AquaParade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 06:04 PM   #389
King Kahn
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
"But now there's a big change. Esau Escorza and Isaac Escorza, best known for their work on Tarna for Heavy Metal, are now joining the art team with Kevin Eastman, but Andy Kuhn is no longer listed on the creative team. Apparently, this stems from poor retailer reaction to The Last Ronin preview, and a new sampler is in the works."

What is all this about?
it was only about scheduling conflicts, the bleeding cool story was debunked.
King Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 06:13 PM   #390
DK2
Stone Warrior

This is crazy its getting so delayed. I too am little confused why not go with what you have thats done and let the new artists go on from there? Seems some of this could've avoided anymore of a delay. But I guess like others have said they wanna maintain a consistency in the art. So is the other artist from Drawing Blood still involved? Is that gonna change again? If they wanna maintain consistency now they have three artists on this book? Just seems ironic its on Last Ronin that has had all the hoopla I doubt IDW has ever seen in their time with the TMNT licence.
DK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 11:01 PM   #391
member_removed
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnstone View Post
The sad part is that do you know how big this would sell if they had managed to get Eastman and Laird to do the original art for it? It would never happen but man, that would be something.
I imagine IDW has Eastman signed up to some uber tight contract to stop him from producing TMNT comics elsewhere?

No, you take the ugly one!

I'll take the ugly one!

Which one's the ugly one?
member_removed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 11:44 PM   #392
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
*edit: Oh.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 08-16-2020 at 12:46 AM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 07:06 AM   #393
Galactus
Mad Scientist

If this was an ongoing monthly series they'd probably have kept Kuhn's work but being a graphic novel they probably want a consistent look and visual tone from beginning to end. Makes total sense to me.

Also while it maybe somewhat deceptive to promote this as a reunion of Eastman and Laird's it does use what look like detailed story ideas from him and the series does have his blessing.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 07:09 AM   #394
hypered1
Hench Mutant

Quote:
it was only about scheduling conflicts, the bleeding cool story was debunked.
No surprises there then.
hypered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 12:46 PM   #395
frank_one
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I think were that ever to happen, it would be in a book published through Mirage. That's wild speculation, but it's based on getting a general feel for Peter's sensibilities over the years. And it would be that much cooler, wouldn't it?
True. If Laird and Eastman were to do a new TMNT story togheter they wouldn't need IDW to publish it, but Eastman seems to be on good terms with IDW, so I don't know.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 02:44 PM   #396
rs_jr
Random Punk

I really wish they would just come out and be clear if this is a mirage storyline which would be nice knowing ultimately how the mirage final story goes or jut say its IDW so no mirage hopes are bashed.

Did they ever mention if the increased price is for page count alone or is the book bigger like the first 4 mirage books.

If it is a mirage story I'm still hoping we get a B/W zip atone edition of the series
rs_jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 02:55 PM   #397
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs_jr View Post
I really wish they would just come out and be clear if this is a mirage storyline which would be nice knowing ultimately how the mirage final story goes or jut say its IDW so no mirage hopes are bashed.

Did they ever mention if the increased price is for page count alone or is the book bigger like the first 4 mirage books.

If it is a mirage story I'm still hoping we get a B/W zip atone edition of the series
It's not. Kevin stated in the virtual panel of SDCC that it is its own thing, not set in any specific universe.

Check out the best DC Comics site on the net:
http://new.dcuwiki.net/forums/index.php
Now featuring Ethan Van Sciver!

MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 03:14 PM   #398
DK2
Stone Warrior

Its the format the book is in that makes it costly. If the initial preview ashcan is the actual dimension size of the issues, then thats why. Its 50 page books in the prestige, graphic novel format. Kevin initially stated that "Last Ronin" to him was more in the Mirage universe since it was conceived during that time between he and Peter. A "what if/elseworlds" story. Then he's been saying it can fit into any TMNT incarnation. Little iffy how that could be with any incarnation due to how their presented buts thats me. Kinda looked up the art of Esau Escorza and Isaac Escorza and it looks to be decent, characterised, north american, manga style to me. Pretty much the style IDW seems to have taken with their TMNT books generally. I don't think their a bad choice but how they make a turtle look is the question. Strange this is an IDW book but I assume Kevin nabs 2 guys from his Heavy Metal connections out of the blue.
DK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 07:22 PM   #399
AquaParade
Big Boss

Interesting to get your perspective on the art of Esau Escorza. I feel that his art is quite different than what we generally see in the ongoing series. Looks more expensive, frankly.

I'm not sure how I'll feel about the new colorist. Their style has a strong digital look to it, which I'm not typically a fan of.

Edit: I just realized that the main cover for issue #2 is done by the new artists.

Last edited by AquaParade; 08-16-2020 at 07:29 PM.
AquaParade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 01:46 AM   #400
rs_jr
Random Punk

why not just get Jim Lawson to do it especially if he can channel his old style in mirage volume 1?
rs_jr is offline   Reply With Quote