The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Old 08-22-2017, 06:00 AM   #1
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Whedonesque Shuts Down As Joss Whedon's Ex-Wife Hits Back

So Joss Whedon is at the centre of fresh scandle following allegations from his traumatised ex wife of emotional manipulation and multiple affairs he had during their marriage. It's gotten so bad that the long-running Whedonesque website has been shut down.

https://www.newsarama.com/36044-joss...legations.html
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 07:40 AM   #2
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

I wonder how this is going to affect Warner Bros, since he's working on those reshoots for Justice League, and then do the Batgirl movie.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:59 AM   #3
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

I really wish people who can't do monogamy would just own up to that. Cripes.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 08:53 AM   #4
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Kinda humorous knowing that a lot of the time, these male feminists end up being creepier than the guys they're "protecting" the women from.

Last Movie Watched: Leprechaun Origins (2014).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E11).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 09:03 AM   #5
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Sad.

10char
Old 08-22-2017, 09:13 AM   #6
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Quote:
Kai Cole, who was married to Whedon from 1995 to 2016, wrote a guest blog on The Wrap that alleged the director had "multiple" affairs during their relationship and therefore wasn't really a feminist.
I don't understand. Can you not be a feminist and still struggle with monogamy?
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 09:58 AM   #7
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Could these claims hurt Joss Whedon in the long run, if they are true?

Last edited by TigerClaw; 08-22-2017 at 10:32 AM.
TigerClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 10:12 AM   #8
plastroncafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutch View Post
I don't understand. Can you not be a feminist and still struggle with monogamy?
Having read the essay, I think the claim Kai is making is that the justifications he made while having the affairs...along with the betrayal of cheating in the first place, call his stated belief that "women are equal" into question.

Which I can see.
People can be liars and cowards and still be feminists.
Quote:
Quote:
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:34 AM   #9
snake
Disgusting

Male feminist turns out to be a weirdo using it just to get closer to women? Who would've thought?
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 11:40 AM   #10
CyberCubed
Overlord

Joss Whedon and Bruce Timm seem like they're both self destructing as they've gotten older. All their secrets are coming out.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 11:47 AM   #11
snake
Disgusting

Dude, Bruce Timm drew an ass. Get over it. He's always drawn lewd stuff.
Old 08-22-2017, 02:23 PM   #12
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
Dude, Bruce Timm drew an ass. Get over it. He's always drawn lewd stuff.
Yeah, he's only really guilty of catching on to the fact all the kids that grew up with his stuff are old enough to be as pervy alongside him
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 04:43 PM   #13
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Are you having some sort of Sonic mental collapse?
Old 08-22-2017, 04:50 PM   #14
snake
Disgusting

Gotta shitpost fast!
Old 08-22-2017, 07:20 PM   #15
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
I wonder how this is going to affect Warner Bros, since he's working on those reshoots for Justice League, and then do the Batgirl movie.
I hear that Zack is back.

As far as Whedon’s politics are concerned, I don’t think emotional manipulation is an issue of gender equality. Everyone is capable and guilty of that – we learn how to do it when we’re babies. I have more of a problem with someone being judgemental, and proselytising about morality when they clearly have a lot of work to do on themselves, but I guess if hypocrisy was a crime we’d all be breaking rocks right now.

What is interesting to me is how often people who deal in super heroes turn out to be so morally challenged. They write stories about morality and virtue in its most simplistic and clear form, and at the same time they’re cheating their collaborators out of money, taking credit for other people’s work and treating their family like sh*t. Not to mention all the fascist nut-jobs and pervy sleaze-bags. Maybe that says something about oversimplifying morality.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:50 PM   #16
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papenbrook View Post
SHadow the Hedgehog is a pervert? No wonder he's so conflicted about things.

Last Movie Watched: Leprechaun Origins (2014).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E11).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 11:19 AM   #17
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Quote:
Could these claims hurt Joss Whedon in the long run, if they are true?
Not really. Will he lose a decent chunk of his hardcore fanbase? It's likely. But it will have literally zero impact on his career, professionally. He'll still get to direct blockbusters, produce television, and do whatever the hell he wants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
Having read the essay, I think the claim Kai is making is that the justifications he made while having the affairs...along with the betrayal of cheating in the first place, call his stated belief that "women are equal" into question.
I'm still having a bit of a hard time grasping how one correlates to the other. People trip on their beliefs from time to time; does that immediately dissolve them of their label? We all have our weaknesses. We're all human. And this is coming from someone who is proud to say he's never cheated. But it's not like I don't understand the temptation, either.

We also need to keep in mind we know probably about 0.5 percent of everything thats been going on in the past 15 years behind closed doors. I wonder if it would change how people feel about this if we learned that his wife had also cheated multiple times during his long shoots away from home? We know so little about the ins and outs of their relationship.

And it's Hollywood, people. Not that it's an excuse in and of itself, but there's a common lifestyle that happens in the industry. You know how many actresses I've asked out to be told "Sure, but you should know, I have a boyfriend in (another city), but we're in an open relationship so I hope that's okay with you."

No doubt people will now begin combing through his work to find tiny little examples of Misogyny to cement their newfound opinion on the man whose same work they held as the gospel for the last 20 years.

I'd also like to say that if Whedonesque is shutting down because it's owner's opinion on the man changed overnight then that's hilariously sad.

Times like these I'm so glad I have the ability to separate art from the artist

Last edited by Krutch; 08-23-2017 at 11:25 AM.
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 02:38 PM   #18
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Not really. Will he lose a decent chunk of his hardcore fanbase? It's likely. But it will have literally zero impact on his career, professionally. He'll still get to direct blockbusters, produce television, and do whatever the hell he wants.
He may lose a chunk of his fanbase, but I can see it also impact the box office for the movies he's directing, there would be those who won't see it cause of his involvement.

However Joss Whedon's supposed fanbase was a niche audience, so it won't have any affect at the box office.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:42 PM   #19
plastroncafe

Quote:
I'm still having a bit of a hard time grasping how one correlates to the other. People trip on their beliefs from time to time; does that immediately dissolve them of their label? We all have our weaknesses. We're all human. And this is coming from someone who is proud to say he's never cheated. But it's not like I don't understand the temptation, either.
There's being tempted, there's following through on that temptation, and then there's blaming the temptation for the fall.

Quote:
We also need to keep in mind we know probably about 0.5 percent of everything thats been going on in the past 15 years behind closed doors. I wonder if it would change how people feel about this if we learned that his wife had also cheated multiple times during his long shoots away from home? We know so little about the ins and outs of their relationship.
I'd feel the same way:
She's a liar and a coward for not asking for an open relationship.

Quote:
And it's Hollywood, people. Not that it's an excuse in and of itself, but there's a common lifestyle that happens in the industry. You know how many actresses I've asked out to be told "Sure, but you should know, I have a boyfriend in (another city), but we're in an open relationship so I hope that's okay with you."
This isn't cheating.

Quote:
No doubt people will now begin combing through his work to find tiny little examples of Misogyny to cement their newfound opinion on the man whose same work they held as the gospel for the last 20 years.
Begin? People have been doing this from damn near day one.
The guy is very fond of his tropes, and there are folks who are very VERY vocal about not liking those tropes.

Quote:
I'd also like to say that if Whedonesque is shutting down because it's owner's opinion on the man changed overnight then that's hilariously sad.
It's my understanding that Whedonesque was beginning to wind down anyway, and this just cut that wind-down shorter.

The site was there to let people know what both Whedon, and the people he'd worked with, were up to. Given his popularity in Hollywood, it kind of became a rather sizable undertaking.

Quote:
Times like these I'm so glad I have the ability to separate art from the artist
For me it's less being able to separate the art from the artist, and more being able to accept that my faves are problematic.

Finding out this guy is a douche in his personal life might give me pause, or it might taint things of his that I love...but I'll still likely watch what he makes. I think there's a huge difference between this situation and say that of Roman Polanski.

Though, I reserve the right to change this opinion at such time as more less than savory news comes out.

Quote:
He may lose a chunk of his fanbase, but I can see it also impact the box office for the movies he's directing, there would be those who won't see it cause of his involvement.

However Joss Whedon's supposed fanbase was a niche audience, so it won't have any affect at the box office.
The bulk of his fanbase is female, and it's not like Hollywood makes a habit of catering to that demographic.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-23-2017, 03:46 PM   #20
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Wasn't there a big fiasco about Whedon equating a sterile woman to a "monster" in the last Avengers movie that made him delete his Twitter and all after all the backlash? It still went on to make $1.4 billion dollars and is the second highest grossing MCU movie behind only the first Avengers.

This isn't going to do anything.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
joss_cuckdon