The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 09-18-2017, 12:20 AM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

Do you have any personal objects that you can'y just get rid of no matter what?

It seems most people have objects or items that they get personally attached to.

I still keep lots of my old toys and action figures in my apartment for some reason. Some of my TMNT and wrestling action figures are a bit beat down and dusty by now... and yet I can't bring myself to get rid of them. I mean, sure they don't exactly fill in that much useful space tbh, but I no longer play with them either and I don't use them as decoration either tbh.

Hell, I still keep some of my old stuffed toys stored somewhere. When I was like 12 and outgrew stuffed toys I told my mother I'd like to keep them in case I'd have kids or nephews one day, so she didn't mind it. Well I have no kids or nephews, and I doubt I'll ever have either, so I guess I just keep lots of old toys to remind myself of my childhood or something?

I think I just have trouble getting rid of things I buy in general. Not talking about disposable stuff but things such as books, video games, toys, etc. I'm sure my NES and its games no longer work(haven't been able to turn it on in years), and I'd rather just play those games somewhere else these days, but I can't bring myself to get rid of them.

I know lots of people wear earrings, chains, rings, etc. Well, I don't wear any of that stuff. I also know lots of people who don't throw away event tickets and such, but I've never gotten attached to those.

What about you?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 07:18 AM   #2
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Still have a lot of my old books I don't read anymore as well as stuffed animals too. I agree that it's difficult to get rid of those things because of their sentimental value.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:45 AM   #3
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Oh yeah... a lot of old stuff is in the attic, but select things are still hanging around downstairs. We're not a family that gets rid of a lot (unless broken, or donated clothing). Toys, books, ect. Esp not the books. Some things that are still in good repair are being repurposed for my nephew (this kid gets some of the ORIGINAL Fisher Price stuff, not the remakes they've come out with), others are now vintage stuff to have fun rediscovering.

My old quilt I've had since I was 2 has for a long time now been folded up in a pillow case to protect it. It's a full twin bed sized blanket, but the poor old thing got so thin long ago it actually fits in there.

*grabs camera*

This is my little push Stegosaurus that occasionally went to school with me around first grade. Been sitting on a shelf behind me in the computer room for a while. It's been wearing a terry Barbie jacket since those school days. lol

Now as for things still in use... I've had a Sony cube alarm clock in use since my 9th birthday. Thing is now 29-years-old. I'll be sad someday if it quits on me, and at that point... no way in hell could I toss it. Not after so long.

Still trying to figure out where my old TMNT case and figures from back then got to...
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 11:29 AM   #4
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

My silver Game Boy Advance SP and my cartridges of the first TMNT 2k3 game and its sequel Battle Nexus, as well as the two Game Boy Advance Metroid games.

I remember plugging the console in for the first time on Christmas morning of 2003, and seeing that orange charging light turn on...and then playing one of the racing levels with Leonardo in the Sewer Slider while my aunt was cooking later in the day.

I also still have a Spider-Man action figure from 2002-2003 or so with magnetic feet that hangs on my fridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 11:43 AM   #5
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Two baby blankets, a few beanie babies, a Mushu plush that wears the scars of having been owned by a six year old with a four year old brother, Madam Alexander dolls (Wizard of Oz themed), and some little trinkets inherited from my mother, grandmother, and great-grandmother.

They're all at my mom's house, so I can't share pictures for now.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:55 PM   #6
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
Madam Alexander dolls (Wizard of Oz themed)
Now I'm wondering which ones, as I have an oldie Alice in Wonderland someone "gave" me when I was pretty young. (And by gave I mean it was mine but it sat hands off on a shelf forever and still standing nearby in her plastic protective cover.)
Old 09-18-2017, 01:28 PM   #7
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I have the whole Oz set. Even the house. Spent a good part of my childhood getting them for birthdays and Christmas. I even have a few of the McDonalds versions from when they did a Happy Meal line. Right now they're all in boxes because there isn't a place to put them.

My cousin has the Alice set, which I also expect is finished since she's older than me.

There's a few more Madam Alexander dolls, but I don't recall what some of them are. And a few Japanese dolls. And a three foot clown doll...which honestly is not quite as unsettling than you'd expect. And tea sets. And mini tea sets. I just want to go through the whole box and see what's in it.
Old 09-18-2017, 03:08 PM   #8
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Mr Duckie still has the snoopy that was his dad's. It got passed down when he was little. I have kept a lot of my original Nintendo games and console- all still working- and I still have my old music cassette collection from when Ibwas growing up- including the copy of Coming Out of Our Shells that a friend made for me off her cassette! And they all still play too! Other than those most of what I kept were books I had as a kid.

I had a copy of Charlotte's Web that was passed down from my mom, but I sent it as a birthday gift to my liittle "duckling" several years ago. It still has the nameplate in the front cover with both my name and my mom's on it. Hope shestill has it.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 03:26 PM   #9
Prowler
Emperor

It's funny how we humans keep stuff around that w no longer use and that has low monetary value. We can be quite materialistic
Old 09-18-2017, 03:46 PM   #10
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I actually have a dalmatian toy that I've had since my first Christmas...which was only washed for the first time in years a few months ago
Old 09-18-2017, 04:22 PM   #11
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

I never discard any of my drawings. They're vitally precious.

I also tend to keep old video games and consoles.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 04:58 PM   #12
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Yeah, we still have our old Nintendo and our Atari somewhere too as well as a collection of old cassette tapes.

Old 09-18-2017, 05:23 PM   #13
Prowler
Emperor

This reminded me of something... what about old pictures? Not many years, having physical copies of your pictures was the standard. Unless you lost them in a fire or threw them into the trash by accident, you'd never lose them. Nowadays with people mostly taking digital photos, once your SD cards or wherever you keep your photos die or malfunction your pictures are gone forever.

And the further you go in the past, photos are rarer. I think I could count on two hands the photos I have of my grandmother when she was under 30 years old. I guess cameras back then(20s, 30s and 40s) were only owned by photographers or upper middle class people. But old photos are interesting and have some class to them I cannot explain. Which makes me wonder, when people of today get old and have grandchildren, what sort of photos of their grandparents will people find in 50 years from now? Pictures of your 19 year old grandmother doing duckface or with a dog face and ears filter?
Old 09-18-2017, 05:32 PM   #14
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

I got a stuffed teddy that belonged to my great-grandfather and a stuffed tiger I've had since I was four, they ain't going anywhere anytime soon.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 05:37 PM   #15
Powder
So tired of this place

All sorts of things, I'm sure. As a big time TMNT collector, much of it relates to the turtles, but there's other stuff too. Obvious things like old photos,childhood teddy bear, etc, plenty more that I can't immediately recall. Nothing too crazy, I'm sentimental but not to a fault. My family has a pack rat history on both sides, so I'm adamant about not following the same path despite my big ass TMNT collection. It's so hard trying to get my mom to get rid of stuff or permit me to handle some of it for her. We're gonna have to move in due time but in the meanwhile we've got a garage chock full of sh*t nobody ever bothers with, books/VHS tapes that haven't been peeped in 30+ years, clothes that don't fit, oodles of china, etc. Pisses me off, mass can be suffocating. I like to be neat & organized, excess doesn't always jive well with that.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 06:26 PM   #16
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
This reminded me of something... what about old pictures? Not many years, having physical copies of your pictures was the standard. Unless you lost them in a fire or threw them into the trash by accident, you'd never lose them. Nowadays with people mostly taking digital photos, once your SD cards or wherever you keep your photos die or malfunction your pictures are gone forever.

And the further you go in the past, photos are rarer. I think I could count on two hands the photos I have of my grandmother when she was under 30 years old. I guess cameras back then(20s, 30s and 40s) were only owned by photographers or upper middle class people. But old photos are interesting and have some class to them I cannot explain. Which makes me wonder, when people of today get old and have grandchildren, what sort of photos of their grandparents will people find in 50 years from now? Pictures of your 19 year old grandmother doing duckface or with a dog face and ears filter?
Fortunately, my family has been pretty good about hanging onto photos, particularly from my mother's side. We've got a bunch of my grandparents when they were younger and at least a handful that includes my grandmother's parents.

Fun fact... we've even got at least a few of those old "tintype" metal photos, popular in the late-ish 1800s.

I still use a regular digital camera and maybe once a year or so end up saving everything on it onto the computer and onto disc. I'm sure someday there will be discs AND (on the chance those in the future can't view the discs) some printed photos in the box with all the others from prior generations. But NO duckface! lol Or any of that nonsense.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:01 PM   #17
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

Outside of video game consoles and scripts/stories, the one major thing I plan on holding onto for the time being is a necklace I recently bought a few months ago. The store owner at a flea market served in the Vietnam War, so I got it: a Marine(?) designed necklace. Dad served as a teacher at that time for soldiers and was employed in the military before I was even born.

I would only get rid of the necklace if dad passed away before I finish college. I'd put it around his neck as a goodbye; otherwise, I'll hold onto it as a reminder of strength displayed by him. If it weren't for him, I wouldn't be here.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:56 AM   #18
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

That's pretty cool, GM. We have a lot of old photos we still have and that's a good thing.

I still have quite a few of my old false eyes around. There was one Dad had on his desk in the den and I can't believe how small it is compared to the one I have now! I think we still have the original plastic one I had when I was a baby, but I'm not sure about that one. Mom said I would always just take it out.

Old 09-19-2017, 10:03 AM   #19
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

...me, I so would be repurposing them for Halloween decoration. My worn out old glasses got nonthin' on that.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:41 AM   #20
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblyShell22 View Post
That's pretty cool, GM. We have a lot of old photos we still have and that's a good thing.

I still have quite a few of my old false eyes around. There was one Dad had on his desk in the den and I can't believe how small it is compared to the one I have now! I think we still have the original plastic one I had when I was a baby, but I'm not sure about that one. Mom said I would always just take it out.
So you were born blind?

Guess I learn something new everyday since I didn't even know false eyes existed until reading this, but its good to hear you are still doing well regardless.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote