The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 02-15-2013, 06:02 PM   #41
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello19 View Post
I've been thinking about getting the Wii U, it looks a lot better than the original Wii. I wonder how much I'll get if I trade my Wii in at Gamestop...anyone know?
Should have done what I did. When Wii U pre-orders were being taken you got bonus credit for all trade-ins towards the system. I only paid $150 for mine after I traded in my old 3DS (I bought a 3DS XL to replace it) and some games I knew I wouldn't play again.

I kept my original wii though. For the homebrew
Zulithe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:12 PM   #42
CyberCubed
Overlord

The Wii-U will probably have a price drop around Christmas of this year. I also expect them to bundle it with New Super Mario Bros. like they did with the Wii version. It'll be going up against the PS4 and next Xbox this Christmas, so Nintendo has to do something.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:28 PM   #43
Peanut
Second Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
And yet Nintendo expected similar success. The 3DS inflated their ego because its outpacing the original DS sales from its first two years already.

The Wii-U isn't even anything worthwhile yet until the Fall when hopefully a 3D Mario comes out. I certainly don't have one yet although Pikmin 3 is tempting.

Then again I am nowhere near the huge Nintendo fan I used to be when I was younger, I sort of fizzled out halfway into the Wii era.
If you think Nintendo thought they'd match Wii numbers with the Wii U you're more clueless than I thought.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:01 PM   #44
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
If you think Nintendo thought they'd match Wii numbers with the Wii U you're more clueless than I thought.
Did you actually read some of those interviews with Satoru Iwata or Reggie from early or mid-2012? They expected a similar sell rate. Its not me who thought this, it was stated by them.

I knew good and well the Wii-U was going to sell poorly at the start, the confusing name, the fact that everyone now has a PS3 or 360, and the poor launch library didn't help. Many casuals don't even know this is a new system, like the controller is just another accessory similar to the Wii fitness mat.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:43 PM   #45
Spitfire
Writer • Director

The only reason the Wii sold well was because Nintendo created a shortage. I worked at Best Buy when it launched. We'd get maybe 6 once every few weeks and we'd sell out instantly. It's rarity made it a wanted item. What kept it going after that was little kids loved it. But little kids already have it so Mom and Dad aren't going to drop cash on a new one.

Less casual gamers won't either as from what I can tell it can now just manage next gen graphics and has a whacky controller. Oh boy I can rebuy Arkham City with some stupid armor and the same graphics as the 360 version I've owned since launch. I mean I know graphics aren't eveything but when is Nintendo going to start developing ahead of the curve again? I loved my Gamecube and I still play it. Had no reason to touch much Nintendo since. My short time owning a Wii it was used for Netflix more then anything.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:14 PM   #46
Peanut
Second Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Did you actually read some of those interviews with Satoru Iwata or Reggie from early or mid-2012? They expected a similar sell rate. Its not me who thought this, it was stated by them.
Yeah, no. Cause figureheads of a publicly traded company are going to go ahead and say they're not going to meet the same numbers as their previously released hardware, right? Get a f*cking grip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire
The only reason the Wii sold well was because Nintendo created a shortage. I worked at Best Buy when it launched. We'd get maybe 6 once every few weeks and we'd sell out instantly. It's rarity made it a wanted item.
I love how you haven't grown out of using personal anecdotes as "facts" for your arguments.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:24 PM   #47
Spitfire
Writer • Director

And you accusatory and condescending. Ah somethings never change.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:59 PM   #48
Peanut
Second Gear

And thank ****ing god for that.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:14 PM   #49
CyberCubed
Overlord

Probably not going to buy a Wii-U till around Christmas of this year when there's hopefully a price drop. If the next 3D Mario comes out in the Fall, that and Pikmin 3 would be enough to convince me to buy the system.

I'd also get New Super Mario Bros. U, and perhaps that Wonderful 101 game if it turns out to be good. The Yoshi Yarn game looks to be interesting, just hope its more challenging than Kirby's epic yarn was.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:38 AM   #50
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

My Wii U is gathering dust since I'm so busy with Ni No Kuni and playing my 3DS and Vita. But LEGO City: Undercover is coming very soon and it looks fantastic. There's some stuff coming later in the year, I'm not worried. I'm happy to own one.

If Nintendo's ship sinks, I'm happy to go down with them (well, i'll escape away on a raft before i drown, but otherwise, i'm all in!)

These days I own every platform except XBox, and going forward, I'll probably buy the PS4 and continue to keep my gaming PC upgraded. May skip the next XBox as well, but it all depends on what games and features are shown. Even if Sony and MS totally eff up next gen gaming with BS DRM, destroying the used game market, requiring fees for online, or whatever else, I'm not worried. On the PC side things continue to get stronger. Lots of games getting crowdsourced funding on places like kickstrter, the rise of indie games thanks to the success of Minecraft and strong support on Steam... every time I turn around there's some interesting new games being released I'd never even heard about before. Proud to be a PC gamer.
Zulithe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:05 PM   #51
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

So what does everyone think of the PS4?
Old 02-20-2013, 06:13 PM   #52
Peanut
Second Gear

The future of video games is the present of video games. Great!
Old 02-20-2013, 06:26 PM   #53
Brodie
Certified Teacher

Hey, we dont want you to think we can only do sequels, so here are some games that are sequels without the numerical value indication.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:47 PM   #54
Super Moderator

PS4 looks like a technological powerhouse...to play games that we've already played.
愛 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:51 PM   #55
Peanut
Second Gear

If you guys will excuse me, I'm just gonna go play my Turbografx and stroke my Virtual Boy.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:52 PM   #56
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

At least their focus is still mainly on games.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:58 PM   #57
Super Moderator

I can agree that at least Sony has the vision to preserve the classic model of "THIS IS A CONTROLLER, USE IT TO MOVE YOUR ANDROGYNOUS PROTAGONIST WHILE GOING 'UGUU~AM I KAWAII YET?'"
愛 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:52 PM   #58
chrisdude
Foot Elite

I think the PS4 looks great. I have to wonder what people expect these days.
The Wii U comes out, and everyone says, "Weird controller, whoopdeedoo." The PS4 looks beast as hell, and caters to developers so they can make games, and people are like, "What, same controller?"
Old 02-20-2013, 11:17 PM   #59
Barkworm
Super Moderator

At this point, I'm so tired of this generation that I'm just happy to see a new console that can pull off new graphic technologies.
Barkworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:21 PM   #60
CyberCubed
Overlord

None of the games they showed impressed me, except for that Knack game...looked like a Pixar film.

I probably won't get a PS4 till 2 years into its lifecycle though...I didn't get a PS3 will 2008 when they bundled it with MGS4.

Generic FPS and racing games don't thrill me after I've played so many of them.

Tags
depressing, microsoft, nintendo, peanut, sony, video-games