The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 04-20-2019, 10:39 PM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

Do you watch or have you ever watched any Japanese or Korean tv series/dramas?

If so, which ones? What were they about? Were they any good? Got any recommendations?

I've always had this idea that "dramas" were basically the Japanese and Korean equivalents to soap operas/telenovelas. But I could be very wrong here.

Some people online watch J-Dramas and K-Dramas. Apparently Korean dramas are somewhat popular in some countries nowadays. Even KBS's official youtube channel seems to upload entire Korean Dramas for free on their channel with English subtitles. I don't believe Japanese ones are very popular outside of Japan, so I assume Japan just doesn't feel the need to export them?

I'm currently watching Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, which is the live action version of Sailor Moon. It has some cheesy special effects and monster costumes, but after a few episodes in you get used to it and start to like it since the writing is pretty solid. So it's entertaining enough. Although I'm not sure it counts as a "dorama". Wikipedia defines it as a "Tokusatsu". Basically a live action Japanese tv show with special effects and monsters like Godzilla.

This is pretty much the only Japanese live action series I've watched so far, and I'm not done with it yet. Perhaps I might check out another one in the future one day.

What about you?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 10:48 PM   #2
Roseangelo
Emperor

I've watched more J-drama than K-drama. It is usually enjoyable. They all usually just run for a single season, and there aren't too many episodes, so it's relatively quick to watch an entire series. (Maybe K-drama is different and they last longer? Not sure.) I can't name any off the top of my head, but it's probably been 6-8 years since I saw any, so they'd all be relatively old.

I have seen the Sailor Moon series, and agree that it's pretty enjoyable.

Much like anime, you can pretty much just find a topic/scenario that interests you and give it a go. I think Netflix has some K-drama, if you have access to that.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 10:52 PM   #3
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
I've watched more J-drama than K-drama. It is usually enjoyable. They all usually just run for a single season, and there aren't too many episodes, so it's relatively quick to watch an entire series. (Maybe K-drama is different and they last longer? Not sure.) I can't name any off the top of my head, but it's probably been 6-8 years since I saw any, so they'd all be relatively old.

I have seen the Sailor Moon series, and agree that it's pretty enjoyable.

Much like anime, you can pretty much just find a topic/scenario that interests you and give it a go. I think Netflix has some K-drama, if you have access to that.
Dunno. It could depend on the series, but the couple of Korean ones I've seen out there seem to have one hour long episodes.

Cool another PGSM fan . I really like how it explores the relationship between the Guardians instead of just focusing on fighting. Plus, Minako is an interesting character and not an annoying spaz like in the 90s anime. In the original anime series she basically becomes Usagi v2.0.

I did try to watch the GTO live action series but didn't appeal me much. I think that series just works much better in anime or manga format, dunno.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 11:26 PM   #4
Allio
Foot Elite

I mean mine is basically just tokusatsu. Especially the likes of Kamen Rider.
Old 04-21-2019, 01:15 AM   #5
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

I watch some J drama stuff, but I can hardly understand it. I like it because the situations and reactions are so over the top that it's impossible not to be entertained.
Old 04-21-2019, 12:40 PM   #6
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
I've watched a few. We get a Japanese channel here once in a while when it comes in, and there were a couple of dramas I enjoyed watching if I happened to catch them. One was historical, the other modern, but both were interesting.

We also have a Korean channel that occasionally comes in, and even a Vietnamese one. Have watched a few things on those, too.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 03:18 PM   #7
Sage Ninja
Band of the Hawk

I actually really like K drama thanks to a friend getting me into it. I really like the Korean drama version of Boys Over Flowers and Lie to Me.

I also really like the Taiwanese version of the drama Fated to love you that came out in 2008, there is Korean version of it that came out in 2011 but I prefer the Taiwanese version on this one. I haven't really gotten into J drama.

Cassandra: You won't fight me, but will you fight...for HIM?

~Cassandra's Revenge

~Tangled the Series
Sage Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 04:05 PM   #8
Powder
So tired of this place

Some JP ones, sure. First that comes to mind is Ashita Ga Aru, as it stars 4/5 cast members of my favorite comedy series, Gaki No Tsukai. I first & foremost seek out stuff like that which features talent I'm already familiar with, for one reason or another. I think the most recent one I watched was Jimmy: The True Story of a True Idiot, about the rise of infamous comedian Jimmy Onishi, whom I adore. The occasional anime/manga adaption can be pleasant, for example I really liked Samurai Gourmet.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote