The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Music

Notices

Old 01-03-2019, 03:16 AM   #21
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Rock ballads with heavy metal bands can be great. My favourite is Wind of Change by the Scorpions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4RjJKxsamQ
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 04:49 AM   #22
Sumac
Banned

Rock went mainstream and died in the eyes of general audience, like it always happens with something that has artistic merit and becomes super popular. It was replaced first by dance music, than by R'N'B and alternative rock and nowadays by boring and samey "indie" music and Rap. They too will be phased out, sooner or later.

As for me, I have my favorite radiostation, which plays rock and heavy metal (mostly from 60-s to 80-s) 24/7. It's pretty much the only style of music I can listen to. Russian Pop makes me vomit and foreign Pop does absolutely nothing to me as well as the other styles of music.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 09:57 AM   #23
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
and Rap.
Rap doesn't really exist anymore beyond small pockets that aren't played on the radio. It is all just hip hop-flavored pop music now. Or dance/EDM with a rapper or two occasionally saying a verse.

This isn't a thing anymore:

Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 11:22 AM   #24
Sumac
Banned

Maybe, I am not well-versed in what radio-stations consider "popular" this days, aside from tiny faction of it. So my conclusions might be slightly off base.

In general, I always was trying to find radio stations, which played music that I like, as opposed to listening whatever station I just happened to listen to at the moment.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 12:17 PM   #25
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post

I mean, what would anyone expect, though? "American Idol" and those shows pretty much wired people to be more pop music-focused, even though pop music is terrible. For the last 20 years people have been force-fed mass quantities of that Britney Spears junk, and now everyone just assumes that's what music is supposed to sound like. It's tragic, but it is what it is.
A lot of mainstream pop-rock was good during the mid-1970's and 80's.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:26 PM   #26
Icebot
Foot Elite

Is Metallica heavy metal? I wasn’t sure but if so, I care for it because I like Metallica.
Icebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 03:24 AM   #27
Refractive Reflections
Mad Scientist

In terms of Top 40/popular music, rock music doesn't really exist anymore in the traditional electric guitar sense (as the leading instrument) as today's "rock bands" (yes, I use that term rock band loosely) have much more prominent electronic influences in them (i.e. Maroon 5 and Imagine Dragons).

Even "pop music" isn't as popular as it was 5 years ago, with mostly just middle-of-the-road mid-tempo songs with soft EDM beats where the songs are not even distinguished from each other.

A lot of these genres are blurring into each other into the same structure with a pop lyrical format, EDM/trap beats, and mid-tempo pace that is seeming to define at least 80% of the songs played on Top 40 radio. (i.e. many recent songs from Maroon 5, Camilla Cabello, Selena Gomez, Zedd, Bebe Rexha, Bazzi, Ariana Grande, Marshmello, Halsey, Shawn Mendes,)

In the past year, it's only seemed like Cardi B has been a breath of fresh air in the hip-hop scene or Top 40 music in general, but I think Post Malone is more or less considered the embodiment of popular music today considering how successful his songs are on the charts.

Last edited by Refractive Reflections; 01-25-2019 at 03:30 AM.
Refractive Reflections is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 03:37 AM   #28
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebot View Post
Is Metallica heavy metal? I wasn’t sure but if so, I care for it because I like Metallica.
Yes, during the 1980's they played a subgenre called thrash metal. I have no idea what music they play today.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:06 AM   #29
Karai
Hench Mutant

It's an interesting thing - To me, popularity of music depends so much on distribution, and with the advent of the internet and satellite radio, there are so many more options for creating specific listening experiences for people. When all we had were a few radio stations many years ago, a lot of "metal" exposure people got was really more hard-rock or a universally "accessible" sound.

Nowadays I actually see more heavy metal media making its way into the consciousness of the masses. I think it's less of an underground thing like it was back in the 80's and 90's, kind of the same way geek culture has come into prominence. It's not as taboo.

Also, shoutouts to my Technodrome friends, I'm posting again after an 11-and-a-half year break, LOL.
Old 02-24-2019, 12:30 PM   #30
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Rock went mainstream and died in the eyes of general audience, like it always happens with something that has artistic merit and becomes super popular. It was replaced first by dance music, than by R'N'B and alternative rock and nowadays by boring and samey "indie" music and Rap. They too will be phased out, sooner or later.

As for me, I have my favorite radiostation, which plays rock and heavy metal (mostly from 60-s to 80-s) 24/7. It's pretty much the only style of music I can listen to. Russian Pop makes me vomit and foreign Pop does absolutely nothing to me as well as the other styles of music.
I think Rap music is more of an American thing overall. Ofc artists like Kanye West, Drake, etc. are popular worldwide, but I don't see people caring much for "old school rap"and such here in Europe. People, girls in particular, are more into the sanitised pop-like rappers.

EDM, techno and such seems to be the hot thing all over Europe again like it was in the 90s. As for metal, it seems less popular in North America than in Europe and Latin America. Which is kinda interesting since USA was a very influential metal country. But when you think about it, countries like Scandinavian countries, the UK, Poland, etc. have also given the world a lot of good metal bands and their populations combined are inferior to USA's.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 08:25 AM   #31
Whatswiththeheadbands?
The Weed of Crime

A lot of people still listen to and buy Metal music. I'm one of them. Nowadays I'm even playing Lead Guitar in a Metal band. Lately I've been really getting into Power Metal, mainly Blind Guardian:

Old 03-06-2019, 10:01 AM   #32
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I think Rap music is more of an American thing overall. Ofc artists like Kanye West, Drake,
Kanye is more "generic hip hop"/"experimental" than anything else. Drake is definitely not a rapper... he's basically a glorified R&B singer.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:39 AM   #33
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Kanye is more "generic hip hop"/"experimental" than anything else. Drake is definitely not a rapper... he's basically a glorified R&B singer.
What about the master of music, DJ Khaled!? There's an artist worthy of laud and respect...
Old 03-06-2019, 11:44 AM   #34
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I don't see people caring much for "old school rap"and such here in Europe. People, girls in particular, are more into the sanitised pop-like rappers.
Underground ("old school") rap arguably has a larger following in Europe than anywhere else. But it is called underground for a reason, of course, as it's not something the average passerby is into. For example, though, one of the biggest hip-hop events anywhere is in CZ, "Hip-Hop Kemp", which gathers artists & fans from all over. Also, many prominent producers (beat makers) come from EU, like Snowgoons. Hell, the EU fans make up a large portion of US indie rappers' demographics. More to the point of the thread, though, you'll find many of these people also love metal music. Hip-hop & Metal have been joined at the hip since their own inceptions, in a way.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 11:50 AM   #35
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Why did this guy have to retire? smdh...

Old 03-06-2019, 03:04 PM   #36
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Underground ("old school") rap arguably has a larger following in Europe than anywhere else. But it is called underground for a reason, of course, as it's not something the average passerby is into. For example, though, one of the biggest hip-hop events anywhere is in CZ, "Hip-Hop Kemp", which gathers artists & fans from all over. Also, many prominent producers (beat makers) come from EU, like Snowgoons. Hell, the EU fans make up a large portion of US indie rappers' demographics. More to the point of the thread, though, you'll find many of these people also love metal music. Hip-hop & Metal have been joined at the hip since their own inceptions, in a way.
I see. If it's underground then it makes sense someone like me wouldn't be aware of it. Interesting post.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote