The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 12-18-2018, 05:29 PM   #21
Coola Yagami
Overlord

I agree, my work place is diverse in terms of political views abd whatnot, none of them get offended or triggered if someone says Merry Christmas and joke about the stupidity regarding people being offended by the Christmas songs.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 05:57 PM   #22
Leo656
The Franchise

I never talked to anyone in the area about it, but my wife and I noticed something, holiday-related.

We drive through a certain area every day that's got a very high Jewish population, but is still mixed. For my entire life, right across from the shopping center, the township or whoever would put up a giant Christmas Tree and a giant menorah near the beginning of December. There's often a Nativity scene, too, off to the side.

In recent years, several things happened. First, the Nativity scene disappeared, but then it came back (it's up this year, but it's no longer up every year, and it's off to the side so it's hard to see from the main road). Then, the Christmas tree got smaller and smaller, to the point where it'ss barely bigger than one that would fit in a house. Then, they started putting the Christmas tree up only a few days before Christmas and taking it down almost immediately after, while the Menorah goes up on December 1 and stays up almost until New Year's. Far longer than 8 Crazy Nights, in other words.

I'm not gonna start a war over it, but these are things I notice after going through that area almost daily for a few decades. And these are things that don't just up and happen without a bunch of phone calls.

"War on Christmas"? I'unno. But I have a strong feeling that a lot of people in that area don't wanna look at a tree or a Nativity scene for more than a few days, while keeping "their" decorations up beyond the point of relevance. The fact the menorah completely dwarfs the once-massive tree is also pretty telling.

"Long as I got mine, f*ck yours" is how it comes off to me. Just an observation. I don't think it constitutes a "war", but I'm sure a lot of people picked up the phone whining about it or else these things wouldn't have been changed so arbitrarily. I do see people complain about it in the local papers, so obviously people besides me have also noticed.

I'unno. "Interesting".

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 04:44 PM   #23
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinigami View Post
I’ve always thought conservatives were all about standing their ground and being tougher than the liberal snowflakes. Lately, I’ve noticed how easily offended they are. My family is very conservative and they get all flustered with gay and trans people. What a weird dichotomy. My coworkers are kind of the same about everything.

What gives?
Why are you so easily triggered that you need to create a whole topic about you being triggered?
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 08:14 PM   #24
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

Y'know, I always think that it's cool to see the different ways & customs that are celebrated regarding Christmas, but it is rather sad when even Jesus and The Jolly Old Fat Man can't get along..

Oh well. If anything, make merry but be mindful of your fellow man. That is about the best contribution that I can make to this thread.
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 08:50 PM   #25
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

If thumbs up were possible, DarkFell, I would.

I sort of can't fault anyone for being tempted to make a (notably rare) thread like this (and this is not personally aimed at Shinigami), considering how often there are threads posted purposely intending to go the opposite way and stir the pot, but it would be nice if we could stop trying to poison the forum community with political junk. At least for the holidays?

Really, I just don't understand the urge to do so, it's getting old, and you would think this would be one of those places centered on a common interest where people go to get away from much of the other garbage in life and ignore and look past those other differences. (Let alone have any need to even know what they are.) Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't politics supposed to be off limits anyhow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I never talked to anyone in the area about it, but my wife and I noticed something, holiday-related.
That's so weird. Honestly, if it is the shopping center that displays them, I have to wonder if it mostly just comes down to their customer base, focusing on what the majority of them are inspired by to shop and just cutting costs on the more "minor" holiday as far as that community goes. Or just being an outlier that puts the bigger local holiday on center stage for the locals while their experience of the rest of America is generally focused on everyone else? Just letting them be the main thing for once?

I dunno, I'm not inclined to jump to assuming such a thing might be done as an offense or decreased out of offense... Just different, as per the large Jewish population and what draws them for the shopping center.

edit: What does it look like now that Hanukkah is over?

Last edited by IndigoErth; 12-20-2018 at 09:19 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 10:26 PM   #26
Leo656
The Franchise

The menorah's not lit, but it's still up, still twice the size of the tree. They almost always put it up way before the tree and take it down way after, in recent years. Again, I don't think there's a "secret war" but there's definitely some spite and pettiness, happening.

Like this year, the Nativity scene sports a "Keep Christ In Christmas" banner; that's new.

I don't think the shopping center does the decorations; they're more across the street in a large open field. I could be wrong but I think the township sets it up.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 03:48 AM   #27
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Like this year, the Nativity scene sports a "Keep Christ In Christmas" banner; that's new.
That's funny

One of the local political parties had a go at "war on Christmas" here in Norway a few years back. It's a super religious party called "The Christians" (cause it's the freaking Bible Belt where I live lol), and they are more extreme then the 'real' Christian political party that's currently in a three-way government, although we'll see how that goes cause the party leader isn't so hot on being in government with right-winged parties and want to rather go more to the left and actually follow the teachings of Christ. I guess that happens when you're in government cahoots with the most xenophobic and right-winged party Norway have

Anyway. The Christians Party tried to change the name of Christmas, as we still call it by its pre-christianization name Jul (as it should be). they wanted it to be Kristmesse (lit. Christmas). Beyond their own crazy following, they got very little support
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 04:42 AM   #28
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Christmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
Anyway. The Christians Party tried to change the name of Christmas, as we still call it by its pre-christianization name Jul (as it should be). they wanted it to be Kristmesse (lit. Christmas). Beyond their own crazy following, they got very little support
I think that would be cool, but that's because I want to give some international feeling. There have been some attempts to adopt that word, about 1 000 years ago. Churches should feel free to adopt it.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 04:16 PM   #29
Shinigami
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
If thumbs up were possible, DarkFell, I would.

I sort of can't fault anyone for being tempted to make a (notably rare) thread like this (and this is not personally aimed at Shinigami), considering how often there are threads posted purposely intending to go the opposite way and stir the pot, but it would be nice if we could stop trying to poison the forum community with political junk. At least for the holidays?

Really, I just don't understand the urge to do so, it's getting old, and you would think this would be one of those places centered on a common interest where people go to get away from much of the other garbage in life and ignore and look past those other differences. (Let alone have any need to even know what they are.) Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't politics supposed to be off limits.
Got called out. You’re right. I’m just sick of dealing with this stuff at work and with family and the news. I come here to relax and discuss turtles. Not deal with right wing politics and people slyly pushing their own backwards views. The turtles should encourage INCLUSION and things like that. They are weird outcasts and so are their friends.
Shinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 05:37 PM   #30
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Totally agree.

(Remembered that there is a thumbs up. Just wish there was a button option on posts.)
Old 12-22-2018, 05:45 PM   #31
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Few things can get a conservative going as suggesting Black Santa may be more accurate then the Coca-Cola version we're all so used to St. Nick who's a heavy inspiration to modern Santa was born in Turkey, and was most likely a Moor.

Or mention Odin is a big influence, I've gotten an audible gasp by someone where I live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinigami View Post
The turtles should encourage INCLUSION and things like that. They are weird outcasts and so are their friends.
Honestly, I am a bit surprised how very right-winged a lot of (vocal) members of the 'Drome are.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 06:04 PM   #32
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Honestly, I am a bit surprised how very right-winged a lot of (vocal) members of the 'Drome are.
I think we're honestly split about even.

Except we've lost a couple of the prominent left-wingers, like PennyDreadful and PlastronCafe. *pours out champagne in memory*
Old 12-22-2018, 06:20 PM   #33
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Penny was always a great one to have a conversation with, hope she's doing well wherever she ended up. (Same for others who have disappeared.) Didn't always see eye to eye with Plastron, but respected her toughness to stand by her convictions. Surprised she hasn't returned.
Old 12-22-2018, 11:14 PM   #34
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Agreed. Loved them both, in spite of occasionally disagreeing with Plas.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 08:07 AM   #35
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Few things can get a conservative going as suggesting Black Santa may be more accurate then the Coca-Cola version we're all so used to St. Nick who's a heavy inspiration to modern Santa was born in Turkey, and was most likely a Moor.
That doesn't mean much. The Moors were a large group of Muslims from all over Northern Africa and the Middle East. And while there were Sub-Saharan African Moors, most Moors were Arabs and Berbers/Amazighs from Northern Africa. And Northern Africa has quite some genetic variety. Many of them even have light eyes and/or hair. So St. Nick being a Moor doesn't necessarily mean he was Black. He could have had a similar complexion to Zinedine Zidane, for example. So basically, "Moor" basically was a catch-all term for Muslims at the time in general.

And Santa Claus, the one from Coca-Cola, is a fictional character loosely based on St. Nick that's mostly used for advertisements and such, so who even cares who dresses up as Santa? I'm sure every year lots of non-White men dress up as Santa Claus. Do people really complain about that? He's not really St. Nick, just a character that's loosely based on him.

Quote:

Penny was always a great one to have a conversation with, hope she's doing well wherever she ended up. (Same for others who have disappeared.) Didn't always see eye to eye with Plastron, but respected her toughness to stand by her convictions. Surprised she hasn't returned.
Penny seemed like a nice person.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 08:16 AM   #36
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Quote:
The Whole "War on Christmas" bullsh*t is a nice example on conservatives getting triggered haaaaard.
Yeah, nothing spells getting triggered like people being wished Merry Christmas

Last Movie Watched: Leprechaun Origins (2014).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E11).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 09:56 AM   #37
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Jesus didn't speak English and never knew of such a holiday. Santa is fictional and the guy inspired by him long dead. So would either of them really care if we're celebrating, how we're celebrating, or what greetings used so long as it's centered on goodwill...?

"Happy Holidays" has been dually in use for a long time, since at least the late 1800s, and was never a problem until some media/politically-oriented blowhards decided to make it an issue.

I use "Merry Christmas" when meaning that specific holiday (as a huge amount of other 'dirty liberals' probably still do) and "Happy Holidays" outside of that as just shorthand for the holiday season in general. Big deal.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 12-23-2018 at 10:50 AM.
Old 12-23-2018, 10:00 AM   #38
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Jesus didn't speak English and never knew of such a holiday. Santa is fictional and the guy inspired by him long dead. So would either of them really care if we're celebration, how we're celebrating, or what greetings used so long as it's centered on goodwill...?
I think Jesus would be horrified by the sheer commercialization and idolatry that the holiday brings about nowdays.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 10:42 AM   #39
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
The Whole "War on Christmas" bullsh*t is a nice example on conservatives getting triggered haaaaard.
What about lefties who are triggered by someone wishing them "Merry Christmas"?
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 10:46 AM   #40
Prowler
Emperor

What kind of people do you guys know in real life? I've never heard/read the term "war on Christmas" except on the internet and it's usually related to USA. And I've never once heard an Atheist complain about being wished a Merry Christmas. I'm an Atheist myself and it doesn't offend me at all. Christmas goes beyond religion nowadays. It's part of Western culture and even the Japanese celebrate it and they're not a Christian nation. Lots of people couldn't care less about the religious part of Christmas.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote