The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2018, 08:55 PM   #41
KillCrites
Thug
 
KillCrites's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 57
Wow I adored this first episode and if they keep it up this will be my favorite TMNT cartoon of all time
__________________
KillCrites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:55 PM   #42
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 9,766
Just saw the first on tv. (Maybe I'll look to see if those other eps are still online...)

It's okay so far I suppose, at least in an empty calorie sugar high, turn off your brain and just stare at a flashy cartoon kind of way. Not what I tend to like in a cartoon, esp TMNT, and may get tired of that. Visually it's kinda pretty, sans iffy Turtle designs, though paired with the hyperness feels like a possible headache trigger on bad day.

The part of my mind that demands at least some depth and logic is protesting the fact that we just go and... FIND magic weapons. Seriously? (Just...please tell me down the line there will be some "mystic" being who predicted all this and actually left the weapons there for them to find.) And that April is the one who is all "lets do this!" when the Turtles are still sitting there. (And oh, yay, no meeting ep.)

The cat thing is... interesting. If slightly annoying. Though I guess we're calling it a dog...thing? At least at this point in time. Despite the fact that it clearly purrs and seems more of a mix of a cat, a squirrel, and...a macaque monkey? I'd have preferred it speaking vs the monkey sounds. (Just why with the monkey sounds... I'd like the character better if that sound effect was dropped.)

As for the Turtles themselves... Raph and Mikey, neutral; not hating nor am I impressed. Leo would be a bit better character if/when he drops the one liners. After this ep, still think Donnie might be one of the better ones here. At least his humor actually comes across sounding a tiny bit genuine, so far, and his lines don't sound quite as forced as Leo and Raph's do.

Just me or did the baseball bat look more like a club...? Did I miss where she got it or did she just randomly have it? And, uh yay, magic M doorways...? Oh no, the compass thingy broke, but well, I mean Donnie might be able to fix, no? At least finally when it's important.

And dammit, I was hoping Leo's sword power would actually be necessary and vital to the tream and related to something more than just being a fight maneuver.

Splinter... an early death would be okay. Looks like he'll give himself a stroke anyhow. These Turtles apparently don't even need him, despite Leo being surprised that the others had been training without him. (And they just let you have a deadly weapon sans training why exactly?)

Wish I had more positive to say, but at least only as far in as the first I'm under-impressed. Wish there was more that stuck out and left me with something I felt like I wanted to see what happens next. Hoping it will get better and something will grab me about it.




Well this is really insulting. After it had taken Comcast/Xfinity quite awhile to finally be added as a provider on Nick.com, apparently early this year it was removed yet again! Nice. Real nice.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 07-20-2018 at 09:16 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:23 PM   #43
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter
 
Raph's Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Jakku
Posts: 10,805
I thought it was interesting that there's no origin and the turtles aren't trained. Splinter's just a lazy rat who likes watching anime and falls asleep waisted away on um "milk and cookies". They say Leo's not the leader but he does seem to take on the leadership role more than Raph at times.

Rob Paulsen's foot mystic voice sounds like Raphael with a cold.
__________________
Raph's Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 10:20 PM   #44
Shark_Blade
Raph the Big Bro
 
Shark_Blade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,873
Pros.
1. Beautiful colourful animation. I think I figured out the art style. It’s similar to Disney shorts style. It’s wacky, it’s outrageous and just a lot more freedom to play with.



And it’s reality doesn’t necessarily lean on the realistic side so much (aka like when they splashed into the pool every single drop of water went out of it).

2. On to the turtles themselves.
a. Raph - Gone was his negative angsty drama-queen trait, screaming and yelling and beating up his brothers. He’s now a loveable giant with a gentle heart, who has a soft spot for cute animals. Plus he’s now the leader, I’m pretty amused how his brothers are now looking at him to call the shots. Impressive! I like this change. I hope they’ll maintain it like this for the whole series. In this world, Raph leads.

b. Leo is pretty laid back this time. He’s not stressed, uptight or get into argument with Raph (for now?). It doesn’t seem like he’s training rigorously too or being highly disciplined at all. He’s wacky and awkward. I like that he’s allowed this kind of freedom away from the burden of leadership he’s shouldering in every other series. It’s different and I like it very much.

c. Don is still Donnie. I like that he has his own weapon, not relying on the magical weapon at all.

d. Mikey. Thank God they did away from making him the cliche annoying & retarded one in the group. He’s actually loveable in this series and not obnoxious.

e. Splinter. Lol I can see why some people may get upset being portrayed as a sleazy couch potato. But I’d say don’t judge a book by its cover. After all, Splinter did train the boys as ninjas, so he’s pretty powerful behind that facade.

f. April is .... rabid? Lol. She’s fine and get along with the boys. Doesn’t seem to have occasional menstruation problem/crazy hatred/cold treatment for them like 2012 April.


Cons.
1. The villains are kinda dull to me. Bugs? Yawn.
2. Some jokes are off but it’s early yet.

Overall I like it very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueTurtle1 View Post
I am not going to use VPN, Can someone upload the episode please?
Why? It’s so easy. Your loss tho.
__________________

Ready for TMNT in Injustice 2?
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:38 PM   #45
Kit31
Foot Soldier
 
Kit31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Indiana
Posts: 101
How are people able to watch the other episodes? My cable provider isn't on that list. Please help???
Kit31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:44 PM   #46
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 9,766
Same issue, thanks to Xfinity no longer being an option.

Tried this VPN thing and found one that works with my OS... but either I'm doing it wrong or it just doesn't work because I can't find a provider listed that would skip the provider login like Xfinity used to. (Really, is there a certain one people are using?)
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:45 PM   #47
Konchadunga
Stone Warrior
 
Konchadunga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 890
I laughed, a lot. That's a good thing, in general. However, a lot of the time it felt like it was focusing so hard on being funny that it lacked in other areas.

For example, Splinter seems lame. Make no mistake; I don't like it when Splinter is made out to be flawless, and I actually like him funny, but I still feel Splinter's humor should come from him having a sharp mind that's good at making a joke. But here Splinter IS the joke. I don't expect him to be a lazy couch potato all the time, but is that really the introduction we get?

Also, does April just have a delusion of being a dog? Is there a reason her reaction to danger is trying and failing to maul her opponents with her teeth, when so many more effective ways of fighting should be apparent? I'm all for comedy, but getting it from this characterization makes no sense. It's not stereotypical, it's not humanly dumb; it's just plain random, and why, of all people, is their human friend doing that outlandish stuff?

Let's talk about the action, in general, which for a show this heavy on it is also talk about animation. This show reminds me of Panty & Stocking With Garterbelt, or more recently, OK K.O.!: Let's be Heroes. Characters change shape in motion, constantly, and I'm not sure I like that style. I think the problem I have with this is that characters who look made of rubber don't sell action as well as more solid ones; when they attack they don't seem powerful, and when they get attacked it doesn't seem like it hurts. Then there's the pacing: I don't want to seem disrespectful to people who obviously work hard to animate all this, and I don't know how common this opinion is, but to me, action that happens too quickly might as well not be happening at all. It's just a bunch of fluctuating color and patterns almost too hard to follow, and while I'm not saying it gives me seizures, the characters might as well be dancing at a disco rather than fighting. Stuff like this really makes me appreciate what 3d models and freeze-frame fighting did for this franchise.

Last edited by Konchadunga; 07-20-2018 at 11:54 PM.
Konchadunga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:46 PM   #48
Kit31
Foot Soldier
 
Kit31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Indiana
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Same issue, thanks to Xfinity no longer being an option.

Tried this VPN thing and found one that works with my OS... but either I'm doing it wrong or it just doesn't work because I can't find a provider listed that would skip the provider login like Xfinity used to. (Really, is there a certain one people are using?)
Yeah, I also have Xfinity. I'm not sure why it disappeared from the site, but it's so annoying because everyone else seems to have free access to the rest of the released episodes. I was SO glad it was on the list for a majority of 2012's run, at least.

Considering Comcast/Xfinity had the episode early yesterday morning, I would have hoped they would also have the other episodes on ON Demand. Nope! Grrrrr!

Last edited by Kit31; 07-20-2018 at 11:53 PM.
Kit31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:55 PM   #49
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 9,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit31 View Post
Yeah, I also have Xfinity. I'm not sure why it disappeared from the site, but it's so annoying because everyone else seems to have free access to the rest of the released episodes. I was SO glad it was on the list for a majority of 2012's run, at least.
Yeah, I was also very glad. I remember it took a while for them to be added as a provider, but around the time they stopped including it in the on demand selection on tv for (why??) they at least got added as a Nick.com provider.

Now... I dunno what this is about. I found complaints from people from Jan/Feb of this year which must be around the time it was removed again. Ridiculous since they're one of the biggest ones in the country. Customers have to be punished because two companies can't get along and work things out, or whatever the issue is...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit31 View Post
Considering Comcast/Xfinity had the episode early yesterday morning, I would have hoped they would also have the other episodes on ON Demand. Nope! Grrrrr!
Righ?! I checked the streaming online looking for it maybe only 20 min ago hoping that maybe they'd have them. They've got the first ep, but that's it. And of course that will be on a billion times.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 12:42 AM   #50
Dejablue
Hench Mutant
 
Dejablue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 285
Warning. Warning. Warning. Long drooling review ahead. Read with Caution.

Yay. I wanna drop my two cents.

To reference a random 4 chan post that almost mirrors my feelings up to this point, after watching 5 episodes thus far:
Quote:
>Let's make Raph the leader!
cool
>and inject him with that crazy shizz the Boom Knuckles is using.
stop
>and if Raph is the leader then Leo gets some goofball personality.
I SAID STOP
>and Splinter is fat.
GO BACK
And I don't mind black April but her design is just as bad as the rest of them.
The last line of that statement is the only one I disagree with. Overtime Ive come to accept the designs and I even like them honestly. (I’d probably do something a little different with April’s design but that’s just me.) My biggest issue are the personalities of the turtles and April.

Guess I’ll start with the characters. Be warned I’m a buzzing wasp hive of negativity. It feels too much to me that the turtles are all the same character. The biggest problem is literally everyone is the comic relief. It smacks of not trusting kids to watch the show unless it’s hyper super fun times all the time. Of course I have no way of proving this since this was not the case in the 2k12 show but Rise is supposedly meant for an even younger audience?

From the turtles, Donatello is easily the strongest. His dry laconic style of humor is pretty funny, every time he says something I feel a little better about this schizophrenic fever dream. I have problems with his tech but I know it is the way it is because ‘toys’. I honestly thought his bo staff was the magic weapon due to how insanely and impossibly versatile it is but no. I guess this Donnie is hot on the trail of PD Donatello in being able to create things that break the suspension of disbelief.

Second best turtle is the no longer “ichiban turtle”, Leonardo. He feels a bit like 87 Raphael, spilling quips and one liners everywhere he goes. Not as funny as Donatello but I enjoy his banter. Strange to me (but I know not to some of you), he is already showing leadership qualities. He’s like the back up leader who is actually better at leading than the actual leader…but also the comic relief. I don’t like this.

Why do I not like this? Because it rests a poor light on Raphael who is supposed to be the leader, a concept I am totally onboard with but I guess the writers weren’t confident in, so most likely Leo is going to get his traditional role back…yawn. So anyway, Raphael is where my feelings on the turtles begin to dip. Like I said before, I like them all but thats mostly because I’m a fan of this franchise, my brain is wired to like the turtles. THIS is why its bad that all of the turtles are “the funny guy”. Not enough diversity in their personalities, not enough individuality for any real interesting back and forth to happen. Raphael is dense, he is the “stupid” one…and that’s all I can say about him. His personality is overshadowed by Donatello and Leonardo, and even though the series has JUST STARTED he already comes off as incapable of doing his job. It almost feels like Leo is letting him stumble with the position of Leader because he is too lazy to do it himself. I want Raphael to be competent. At the same time competency doesn’t matter in a show where characters don’t care about anything happening around them. *shurgs*.

Michelangelo. Poor guy. I can’t get a single reading off of him…because Leo stole all of his traditional character traits. I mean he’s still a fun loving guy but like I said they’re ALL the fun loving guy. They are all ‘Mikey’ so the real Mikey is drowned out. Same type of character 3 to 4 times over, someone is getting left in the dust and I believe that its Mikey who suffers this fate. At least with Raphael’s stupidity you can laugh at how bad of a leader he is. Mikey on the other hand…well…he…well he uhm…he likes to draw. I guess?

Up next we got our homegurl April. Sassy, okay, I’m even okay with agile and light on her feet. But already battle ready and confident to jump first? Um, sweetheart how old are you and wtf have you been doing? You’re old enough to be looking for work so I assume you are in pursuit of a normal life,and I’m sure you’re not a vigilante drop out from society like Casey Jones. How are you already this good? My problem with April isn’t that she can fight…it’s just that…she can already fight. I know a lot of people don’t like 2k12 April but I can give that version some credit where it is due, she worked hard to become a kunoichi, it didn’t happen over night, basically she was initiated into ninja-hood (or whatever you’d call it) right at the tail end of the series and I liked that progression.

I don’t like how battle ready this April is, if they can explain this then fine I guess. I’d be perfectly happy to know if she was into parkour or whatever to explain her agility. But already being able to step up to the plate with the turtles? It’s the kind of thing that requires explaining. So far April feels pointless but this is a big “so far” with big quotation marks. She might have a purpose later on but right now she IS the token both in gender and race in this show, she isn’t really needed for anything thats going on, and she is, yet again, more comic relief. I spoke to a friend of mine and he says the most perfect thing ever about the characterization flaws. “Nobody is a straight man”. The person who is kinda dull and normal for these jokes to bounce off of.

Master Splinter….*stares into the dark abyss of disappointment*

I honestly don’t know what to say, not enough screen time. But already I can tell I don’t like what I have seen, my first impression with him is dreadful. I figure he’s going to be like Yoda when he fights.

Ok so onto the story, so the turtles are faffing about until they rescue a pokemon, April falls down a hole, and they all end up in a magic city…and its so underwhelming that it hurts. They’re just THERE. And that’s it. No discovery phase, no investigation phase, barely even a “wow cool” phase. They fall in, April is okay despite having gone down the portal right next to enemies. She already knows where they are and already knows where the glowy weapons are. It all happens so fast that I thought my video glitched and skipped some scenes. I swear if you turn away for 9 seconds and look back you will lose track of what’s going on.

Disappointing first impression. If there was one thing I was really looking forward to it was this magic underground city. Then they just fart past it like it’s not important at all. Gee thanks.

Then we meet JOHN CENAAAAA- I mean Baron Draxum or whatever. He’s pretty cool. I like how he wants the turtles for himself because he sees potential in them, and he drops the only interesting story hint, that he or someone of his ilk might be responsible for the turtles’ existence. “All those years ago” could mean 15 years…or it could mean hundreds of thousands of years. Maybe these turtles are from an ancient past? That’s me fantasizing about possibilities.

Warren Stone: He reminds me of Plankton so he’s kind of fun.

Hyptnopotamus: So far the only bad guy with a cool name, otherwise I don’t remember jack crap about him. Well one thing, its weird that he’s a human who turned into a hippo but he’s going on about finding a mate, a female hippo, like its something he’s been struggling to do for a long time. Eh?

The Origami Ninjas : Well I did like the anime Read or Die where the heroine fights with paper. So maybe I’ll like these guys.

Um…I dunno what else to really talk about. I know comedy is subjective but to me the jokes are hit or miss, with most of the hits coming from Donatello. I don’t like that the show is so comedy heavy but the animation is slick. I’d argue the fight scenes is the one thing this show does very well, excels at even. The turtles need more diversity to their personality as I think they suffer trying to be “funny” all the time. April is a painfully obvious token, and Splinter….I don’t know. I just don’t know.

My face after watching this show:

__________________

^^^^
SHELLBRAINS Inc.- A TMNT Discord!

Last edited by Dejablue; 07-24-2018 at 10:01 AM.
Dejablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 01:02 AM   #51
magicallypuzzled
Mouser
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 14
for the moment I am really torn a lot of things I liked and a lot I didn't. first things I liked I am liking all of the turtles so far. I absolutely love the weapons especially mike's. and I loved the mystical villains and setting I love all of that so much.

now things I didn't like. April seems different just to be different and I don't really like her character at all. I hate splinter so far. and at the moment my love for the mystical setting is fighting a gruesome war with my hatred of the complete nonseriousness of the show and I am not sure which side is going to win out.
magicallypuzzled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 01:17 AM   #52
newhire13
Hench Mutant
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 397
I’ve only seen episode 1 (weird that apparently Xfinity isn’t working on Nick.com anymore) but I absolutely hate Splinter lol. So gross and unlikeable. However, I assume that there’s some sort of end game with him so I guess I’ll just wait it out to see. The turtles play off each other well which is good/important though.
newhire13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 01:30 AM   #53
newhire13
Hench Mutant
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Splinter... an early death would be okay. Looks like he'll give himself a stroke anyhow. These Turtles apparently don't even need him, despite Leo being surprised that the others had been training without him. (And they just let you have a deadly weapon sans training why exactly?)
I'm pretty sure he was just joking/being sarcastic because they were doing such a ****** job fighting the bad guy.
newhire13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 02:01 AM   #54
Wildcat
Mad Scientist
 
Wildcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: AZ
Posts: 1,997
I absolutely LOVED this. The bright, colorful stylized fast paced action while always being “on” even when there’s no fighting is just a joy to watch. You’d think it’d be sensory overload but it’s not at all.

The humor was good and thankfully not done to be random or meme-y. I liked Splinter being goofy. I’m sure will be more serious when he needs to be. It maintains its storyline in the middle of everything well.

It’s all so much fun. I’m glad there’s no “downtime”. Everything just makes it such a unique version of TMNT. I hope it lasts multiple seasons.

(I too think Leo was just joking about no training).
__________________
Nothing can survive the will to stay alive, cause if you try, you can do anything.
Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 02:21 AM   #55
shredder orokusaki
Stone Warrior
 
shredder orokusaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Same issue, thanks to Xfinity no longer being an option.

Tried this VPN thing and found one that works with my OS... but either I'm doing it wrong or it just doesn't work because I can't find a provider listed that would skip the provider login like Xfinity used to. (Really, is there a certain one people are using?)
First episode is on youtube now so watch it there the other 3 havent been uploaded yet.

WHAT A DISAPOITMENT. It was the first episode of a series where i wasnt there. In all previous series i appear from first episode but this time i wasnt there! GRRRR! It is just the turtles and April fighting some stupid mutants.
__________________
I AM THE SHREDDER!!!!!
shredder orokusaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 03:29 AM   #56
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Emperor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 7,672
I think April O'Neil knowing the Ninja Turtles from the beginning works, but please give us flashback scenes with the backstory how they met early.
__________________
Because of continuity and timeline errors, I've given up writing fanfiction based on the 1987-1996 animated television series. Instead, I'm trying to reboot the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles story, something many other fanfiction writers alredy do:

Hopefully, stories will later appear at

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/968367/O...NT-Cartoon-Fan
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 04:52 AM   #57
neatoman
Emperor
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 5,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Any one else think Draxum and his foot soldiers looked like some of Kirby's Critters from the Donnie One Shot?
Not to mention how one of the Foot has the power to turn paper into Ninjas and how Donnie just picked some crystal rather than a weapon. Yeah, I noticed certain parallels to that issue.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH View Post
Turtles is basically the red-headed stepchild of Nick.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 05:19 AM   #58
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor
 
ProphetofGanja's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Dub Side of the Moon
Posts: 2,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejablue View Post

My face after watching this show:

It seems like you actually do have some strong emotions
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 05:31 AM   #59
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Emperor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 7,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredder orokusaki View Post
WHAT A DISAPOITMENT. It was the first episode of a series where i wasnt there.
I don't care, since you only fight the turtles in the first Mirage issue (when it comes to comics and cartoons).
__________________
Because of continuity and timeline errors, I've given up writing fanfiction based on the 1987-1996 animated television series. Instead, I'm trying to reboot the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles story, something many other fanfiction writers alredy do:

Hopefully, stories will later appear at

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/968367/O...NT-Cartoon-Fan
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 05:51 AM   #60
Dejablue
Hench Mutant
 
Dejablue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
It seems like you actually do have some strong emotions
A more accurate picture would be this.



My emotions are strong. I'm just not sure which side of the fence they land me on.
__________________

^^^^
SHELLBRAINS Inc.- A TMNT Discord!
Dejablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.