The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 10-07-2022, 02:19 PM   #421
mikey see
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
I really do love that Renet look though. Any particular complaints you have with the NECA fig?
It's not the figure, it's the design. Too busty for my tastes. Yeah that probably makes me weird, I've just never been able to get behind overly sexualized portrayals of women created by men. I find it embarrassing and sad, like they haven't grown past the middle school phase of sketching "pretty ladies" in their notebook.

Anyway, not trying to soapbox, and no judgement whatsoever from me for anyone that digs the figure. If I had history with the comic I might feel differently. I'm happy for everyone that is not only getting the Mirage figures they've been wanting for years, but now in the correct colors. Hopefully the AutoT junk doesn't screw it up!
mikey see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 02:35 PM   #422
IMJ
Emperor

I am wondering if NECA will repaint the bandanas and re-release the Lawson Turtles as "Archie Turtles" with a different wash on them at some point?
IMJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 02:58 PM   #423
Otter
Stone Warrior

I doubt it. I'm sure specifically sculpted Archie Turtles are coming.
Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 03:39 PM   #424
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
I doubt it. I'm sure specifically sculpted Archie Turtles are coming.
Oh yeah we'll be getting Turtles matching the art direction of the current three releases for sure, but Lawson did draw the book as well....

Just seems simple enough to 'Lawson some turtles via repaint" as well.
Old 10-07-2022, 03:39 PM   #425
Tuxedo Moroboshi
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey see View Post
It's not the figure, it's the design. Too busty for my tastes. Yeah that probably makes me weird, I've just never been able to get behind overly sexualized portrayals of women created by men. I find it embarrassing and sad, like they haven't grown past the middle school phase of sketching "pretty ladies" in their notebook.
I'd argue that bust size isn't relevant to any of that and wish people would stop equating bust size to sexualization, but Renet's outfit does seem to be meant to be sexy (to an extent, at least, being a one-piece swimsuit with a cape). If her bust was smaller, that wouldn't change that, though.

I know you're not trying to soapbox, as you said, and I apologize if it comes off like I'm doing the same or being too reactionary, but people seeing a woman's chest as automatically sexual and, even worse, determining a level of sexuality based purely on its size, is one of my own personal pet peeves. We can't control what our bodies look like (outside of surgery), ya know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
I am wondering if NECA will repaint the bandanas and re-release the Lawson Turtles as "Archie Turtles" with a different wash on them at some point?
While that could be done, they'd also have to add the belt buckles. Even so, that's not a look most people associate with Archie TMNT. It seems far more likely they'd do new sculpts based off of Ken Mitchroney's art.
Tuxedo Moroboshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 04:01 PM   #426
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaynomics930 View Post
Gotta see if I can return BBTS renet since I got the blue variant
I would like to the own the red Renet too. If you can't work out a return, maybe I can buy it from you?

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 07:30 PM   #427
AquaParade
Big Boss

I think Chris Allan - TMNT figures are the only ones I’d get more excited about than Mirage. I just love the way he draws them.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 10:45 PM   #428
Turnstone
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey see View Post

Anyway, not trying to soapbox, and no judgement whatsoever from me for anyone that digs the figure. If I had history with the comic I might feel differently. I'm happy for everyone that is not only getting the Mirage figures they've been wanting for years, but now in the correct colors. Hopefully the AutoT junk doesn't screw it up!
Appreciate your opinion but I appreciate busty women more. Maybe you’re just a leg man.
Turnstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 12:56 AM   #429
Meow
Stone Warrior

uggghhh.... new 80ies comic turtles .. I thought we already had the comic turtles in 2008?
Old 10-08-2022, 01:07 AM   #430
Powder
So tired of this place

What do you mean "Ugh"? The market is flooded with stock art & Fred Wolf stuff, barely anything Mirage at all, let alone highly articulated figures based on their most iconic comic art/Jim Lawson's work. The 2008 figures really only match the first 3 issues, & are impossible to get for most people.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 06:44 AM   #431
Dask
Stone Warrior

"uggghhh" and "comic book turtles" are not words that should ever be juxtaposed. Blasphemy.

NECA will likely release a 4-pack for all the major comic book artists and depictions.
Dask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 03:09 PM   #432
Otter
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dask View Post

NECA will likely release a 4-pack for all the major comic book artists and depictions.
I would LOVE this! Kind of like the black and white Batman statue range.
Specifically I would love Eastman, Craig Farley, Eric Talbot and Michael Zulli iterations.

Four-packs would be awesome, but I'd be content with just one brother in each style (or maybe Ultimates versions with swap-out heads and gear to "choose your favourite").

Given NECA already have a relationship with Stan Sakai, his take on Leonardo would be a grail item for me.
Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 06:57 PM   #433
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
"uggghhh" and "comic book turtles" are not words that should ever be juxtaposed. Blasphemy.

Oh geeze that would be hard to resist.....
Old 10-08-2022, 07:10 PM   #434
AquaParade
Big Boss

I know everyone is sick of hearing it but I’m trying to manifest a Volume 3/Urban Legends box-set. Feel free to make a sigil for that. The accessories will be amazing.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 08:49 PM   #435
King Kahn
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I know everyone is sick of hearing it but I’m trying to manifest a Volume 3/Urban Legends box-set. Feel free to make a sigil for that. The accessories will be amazing.
I'd love a set of them as well.
King Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 02:34 AM   #436
Meow
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
What do you mean "Ugh"? The market is flooded with stock art & Fred Wolf stuff, barely anything Mirage at all, let alone highly articulated figures based on their most iconic comic art/Jim Lawson's work. The 2008 figures really only match the first 3 issues, & are impossible to get for most people.
Aha! Thank you for the explanation. "impossible to get for most people" I agree because the regular ones you can get but for quite a price, not to mention the b/w ones. I'm good with the bootlegs of those 2008ers to be honest.

Quote:
Well, after Powder's explanation my opinion might change over time... let's see

Quote:
Sounds interesting
Old 10-10-2022, 08:43 AM   #437
mikey see
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxedo Moroboshi View Post
I'd argue that bust size isn't relevant to any of that and wish people would stop equating bust size to sexualization, but Renet's outfit does seem to be meant to be sexy (to an extent, at least, being a one-piece swimsuit with a cape). If her bust was smaller, that wouldn't change that, though.

I know you're not trying to soapbox, as you said, and I apologize if it comes off like I'm doing the same or being too reactionary, but people seeing a woman's chest as automatically sexual and, even worse, determining a level of sexuality based purely on its size, is one of my own personal pet peeves. We can't control what our bodies look like (outside of surgery), ya know?
Absolutely fair! My problem isn't specifically the bust size I guess, it's the idea that a dude drew her like that for (presumably) the sole reason of making her more appealing to other men. Like if there's a woman with implants walking down the street, fine, whatever. But if there's a woman with implants that a man made her get so she can better sell Axe body spray to young adolescents... that's gross. Maybe that's a terrible example, I'm really bad at explaining myself. Basically, I support the idea that a woman's sexiness shouldn't HAVE to come from her idealized body, and as such it's difficult for me to look at a design like that and not shake my head a bit. But yeah, that specific character design isn't even all that bad.

Sorry for the detour everybody. Action figures! Bummer they didn't reveal anything new at the con but it's not surprising.
mikey see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 07:24 AM   #438
lilmotto
Stone Warrior

Got my Signature FranekApril today... box was smashed, they sent to the wrong address, and oh yeah they sent me just a regular one instead of the signature edition.... wish me luck with getting this correct
Old 10-11-2022, 04:13 PM   #439
inaheap
Mad Scientist

I wonder if NECA will re-do the original comic turtles for it's 40th anniversary in 2024. And yes I know they said they aren't doing them again. How many times have we heard that? Only to see it happen a year or two later. I'm thinking they could do it with a rooftop dio like comic #1.

We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing

When I became an adult I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.
inaheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 05:26 PM   #440
Powder
So tired of this place

They said the molds are long gone for those, which makes for a pretty definite "no".

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote