The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 11-04-2014, 08:49 PM   #1
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter

Gambit Solo Film

Looks like we're getting a Gambit solo film starring Channing Tatum and based on a story by Chris Claremont. He'll also be in the Age of Apocalypse movie.

http://moviepilot.com/posts/2014/11/...remont-2396760
Old 11-04-2014, 09:07 PM   #2
arkangel
Hench Mutant

Chris Claremont is my favorite x-men writer, but I think the role has been seriously miscast. Channing Tatum doesn't even come close to my idea of Gambit. Imagining him doing a Cajun accent is already making me cringe.
arkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:12 PM   #3
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raph's Girl View Post
Looks like we're getting a Gambit solo film starring Channing Tatum and based on a story by Chris Claremont. He'll also be in the Age of Apocalypse movie.

http://moviepilot.com/posts/2014/11/...remont-2396760
I wonder if Rogue would be a part of this Solo film, Gambit and Rogue always had a thing, But as we seen in the X-Men movies, Rogue hooked up with Iceman.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:16 PM   #4
pennydreadful
trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkangel View Post
Chris Claremont is my favorite x-men writer, but I think the role has been seriously miscast. Channing Tatum doesn't even come close to my idea of Gambit. Imagining him doing a Cajun accent is already making me cringe.
Imagining Channing Tatum doing anything makes me cringe. I'm not one of those who creams their shorts over Gambit so it doesn't affect me too much, but hell, even I think it's a bizarre casting choice.

Here's hoping Claremont at least gives him some strong direction.

Creator of the Technodrome After Dark Discussion Group. PM for an invite (must be over 18 - no exceptions).
pennydreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:27 PM   #5
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkangel View Post
Channing Tatum is an actual Cajun. But I guess someone from Alberta, Canada would know better.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:35 PM   #6
shuriken
Second City Shinobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
Channing Tatum is an actual Cajun. But I guess someone from Alberta, Canada would know better.
OH SNAP

Tatum is cool in my book. I woulda preferred them having stuck with Kitch but eh whatevs.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:00 AM   #7
Slade
god status

Quote:
He's from Bama. Southern, but not quite Cajun.
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 02:28 PM   #8
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter

Quote:
His ancestry is mainly British. He has no Canadian (where Acadians/Cajuns were exiled from) or French ancestry.
Old 11-06-2014, 03:38 PM   #9
pennydreadful
trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman Reigns View Post
He's from Bama. Southern, but not quite Cajun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raph's Girl View Post
His ancestry is mainly British. He has no Canadian (where Acadians/Cajuns were exiled from) or French ancestry.
This. He grew up in Mississipi - that doesn't make him Cajun. Tatum has also stated that he's working on his accent for the role, and will specifically be learning Patois as well... ergo, he doesn't have a built-in Cajun accent and arkangels' concerns are valid. But hey, this is the 'drome, where even the most innocuous statement will get turned into an argument by some people.

Accent aside, he's widely perceived to be a terrible actor. I'm not going to comment as to his attractiveness/sex appeal as it pertains to the role because everyone has different tastes, and besides, that's just mean - but I think it's a weird casting choice.

Creator of the Technodrome After Dark Discussion Group. PM for an invite (must be over 18 - no exceptions).
Old 11-06-2014, 03:45 PM   #10
The Stryker
Stupid Rich

I think the narrative has switched on Tatum in recent years. Mostly thanks to the Jump Street movies. He's a really charismatic actor. He's not going to win any oscars but the same can be said for most of Marvel's actor roster.

The difference in Tatum from Step Up 2 to now is pretty big. He's gotten better. A lot better.

@~<3 Mom~@
The Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 04:05 PM   #11
Slade
god status

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stryker View Post
I think the narrative has switched on Tatum in recent years. Mostly thanks to the Jump Street movies. He's a really charismatic actor. He's not going to win any oscars but the same can be said for most of Marvel's actor roster.

The difference in Tatum from Step Up 2 to now is pretty big. He's gotten better. A lot better.
I agree. I actually don't mind him at all either. Not my first choice to play Gambit, but oh well I'm down.
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 04:18 PM   #12
snake
Disgusting

Cool. I like Gambit.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 04:48 PM   #13
arkangel
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Which member of One Direction is that in your avatar?
I had to google it.
arkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 09:04 PM   #14
Leo656
The Franchise

Great, Tatum can sink another franchise the way he tanked G.I. Joe. Watch him suddenly discover he has some rigid stance about "not wanting to glorify playing cards" and asks the producers to kill him off ten minutes into the sequel.

I gave him a shot in a few things, can't say I'm a fan. Not terrible, but whenever I see him in anything, it's like Anyone Else could have done the exact same thing he did. He only gets work because he has pretty eyes.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 09:17 PM   #15
Brodie
Certified Teacher

How the **** did he tank GI Joe? He only came back for the second one as a favor, and both those movies are fun movies fitting of a ****ing toy franchise.

The guy is talented, and funny.

Its weird you mention Tatum sinking franchises, considering the last guy to play Gambit is almost quite literally box office poison. Do people forget Kitsch has been in a bunch of both critically panned & commercially tanked movies? Battleship? Wolverine Origins? John Carter?

Yeah. Maybe its ok to give someone a shot who can draw an audience and be actually entertaining.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:20 PM   #16
pennydreadful
trash

I don't think anyone here was saying that the dude who played Gambit in the last movie was awesome - for my money, I thought he sucked as well. *shrugs*

I dunno, maybe they just thought Tatum would do well as the "sexy" Xman because of that Magic Mike movie?

Old 11-06-2014, 09:39 PM   #17
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
How the **** did he tank GI Joe? He only came back for the second one as a favor, and both those movies are fun movies fitting of a ****ing toy franchise.

The guy is talented, and funny.

Its weird you mention Tatum sinking franchises, considering the last guy to play Gambit is almost quite literally box office poison. Do people forget Kitsch has been in a bunch of both critically panned & commercially tanked movies? Battleship? Wolverine Origins? John Carter?

Yeah. Maybe its ok to give someone a shot who can draw an audience and be actually entertaining.
I don't *hate* the guy, but I do think the fact they had him as Duke really hurt that entire film franchise, and I actually really like the first one for reasons I can't fully explain. When I read that he didn't even really want to do the role, because he's apparently super-"anti-war" or whatever, and that was partly why Duke wasn't in the second one as much, made me think if they'd just gone with a completely different actor from the beginning, the entire series could have turned out differently. Because it's not like he HAD to play the part at all, literally anyone else could have, and they wouldn't have to suddenly work the entire second movie around whether or not the main protagonist was even available. It just seemed like simply having him be in the movies at all caused a lot more problems than it needed. I mean, don't get me wrong, he wasn't the only one who could have been cast differently, but I think he's the only one who actually caused serious problems with the entire plotting of future films.

I missed a couple X-Men movies so I don't have much experience with the last guy to play Gambit. No real opinion on if Tatum would be better or worse. I don't really have a set idea of Gambit in my head, other than maybe the Fox cartoon, and I doubt any film version would be quite the same anyway. I doubt Tatum will actually "ruin" anything, I just honestly don't think he has much screen presence. Nothing about him stands out, to me. Like I said, most of what I've seen him in, most other name actors could easily be Equal To or Greater Than and it wouldn't change a thing.

Anyways, in the end, the fact they're finally doing a Gambit movie is probably what's most important. When did they first start making noise about that, '96 or so? I remember later on when they were doing "Origins: Wolverine" I read that the second solo movie was going to be Magneto and the third was going to be Gambit. I honestly thought they'd be on like the third Gambit by now and not the first one. Least they're doing it.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 09:43 PM   #18
blindturtle02
Foot Elite

Yay, Gambit may mean that Sinister shows up at some point. As for the solo film, yeah I'll watch it. Why not?
Old 11-06-2014, 11:19 PM   #19
Warhorse
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennydreadful View Post
Imagining Channing Tatum doing anything makes me cringe. I'm not one of those who creams their shorts over Gambit so it doesn't affect me too much, but hell, even I think it's a bizarre casting choice.

Here's hoping Claremont at least gives him some strong direction.
Unless they were all lies, I have been seeing rumors for some time that Tatum himself has always been a fan of the character and was offering to help produce any of the X-Men movies just so he can play Gambit, so it's not so much a choice, but an actor that kind of volunteered for the role.
Warhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 04:21 AM   #20
Davetello
Banned

Channing Tatum

Completely talentless. He's one of the worst 'actors' I have ever seen.

If they wanna go down the pretty boy route (not that Tatum is pretty) they might as well hire Travis Fimmel. He's better looking than Tatum as well as being a better actor.
Davetello is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
not a good gambit, not gonna happen