The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2018, 11:18 AM   #1641
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 14,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Planet of the Apes,
Two reboots so far, yes.

Quote:
Blade Runner,
Sequel/revival.

Quote:
Mad Maxx
Sequel/revival.

Quote:
TMNT has had at least two successful reboots so far under Viacom, (IDW and Nick 2012)
Three reboots: the PD movies rebooted the movies, TMNT 2012 rebooted the 4Kids show, and Rise of the TMNT rebooted TMNT 2012.

IDW didn't "reboot" anything. While unlikely, TMNT Vol. 4, #33 could come out tomorrow. IDW didn't "end" volume 4, nor does IDW even get to do that. IDW is it's own thing, same as Archie was during vol. 1 of Mirage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
They're still rebooted franchises
Revived franchises. Nothing was rebooted about them. Same story, all history intact. Amount of time between sequels = irrelevant. If "Shrek 5" comes out next year, that is not a reboot... that's just "Shrek 5." No one can say "The Color of Money" rebooted "The Hustler," or that "Indiana Jones & the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" rebooted the Indiana Jones series. That's stupid. That's using the word wrong.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 04-24-2018 at 01:14 PM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 12:03 PM   #1642
Vegita-San
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 4,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
I'd say it's not much political agenda, as much marketing agenda. Lefties are popular now (by "virtue" of being loud and scandalous, like kids) and it's a fad to pander to them to build a "progressive image" for the company and make good word of mouth for their products..
I would almost agree with this, except for the fact that there really ARE some people who believe that kind of agenda and image.

a few are even on here, who I have no doubt are 100% genuine in what they believe, and are not faking it.

Hollywood is so far up it's own butt....even if they started faking it...at one point somewhere it switched to full on belief. and they no longer see that what they are trying to do is hurting what they are trying to do.
__________________
'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 12:52 PM   #1643
Sumac
Mad Scientist
 
Sumac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
Hollywood is so far up it's own butt....even if they started faking it...at one point somewhere it switched to full on belief. and they no longer see that what they are trying to do is hurting what they are trying to do.
If one wears mask long enough, then mask can merge with their face.
__________________
Now with 150% more poison!
Sumac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:01 AM   #1644
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 14,696
Someone I respect... "encapsulated" "The Last Jedi" in I think a pretty dead-on way. Here it is:

"Almost nothing happens in 'Last Jedi' of any consequence.

The bulk of the plot is the cinema's slowest car chase (with plot holes galore.)

Characters go off to find the ONE guy who can hack a computer...except they don't, and find someone else who is conveniently there and can get them out of a prison they land in because they're crap at parking.

A bad guy who is never set up intelligently gets killed.

A character we've been waiting years to see dies (in a way that makes Padme's death look almost intelligent.)

The rebels leave one base to go to another...which they then leave.

There's a climactic fight...in which not one blow is landed.

There's the Leia Poppins moment which is done with such incompetence, you forgive ever harsh thing you ever said about JarJar.

Worst Star Wars Movie. Period."
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:06 AM   #1645
Vegita-San
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 4,418
he CLEARLY hates women and wants them to fail. doesn't anyone see that?


----this is sarcasm. google it ---
__________________
'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:11 AM   #1646
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 34,419
You can say the same thing for any movie.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:12 AM   #1647
newfan
Mad Scientist
 
newfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: UK
Posts: 1,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Someone I respect... "encapsulated" "The Last Jedi" in I think a pretty dead-on way. Here it is:

"Almost nothing happens in 'Last Jedi' of any consequence.

The bulk of the plot is the cinema's slowest car chase (with plot holes galore.)

Characters go off to find the ONE guy who can hack a computer...except they don't, and find someone else who is conveniently there and can get them out of a prison they land in because they're crap at parking.

A bad guy who is never set up intelligently gets killed.

A character we've been waiting years to see dies (in a way that makes Padme's death look almost intelligent.)

The rebels leave one base to go to another...which they then leave.

There's a climactic fight...in which not one blow is landed.

There's the Leia Poppins moment which is done with such incompetence, you forgive ever harsh thing you ever said about JarJar.

Worst Star Wars Movie. Period."
Yeah there are a few point there. Andrew you had said you liked it originally, or enjoyed it, though you had issues with it, are you liking it less over time or much them same? So you enjoyed it but there are still all the issues?

Last edited by newfan; 04-25-2018 at 11:21 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 12:05 PM   #1648
sdp
<<Virtual X-Mas Raver->>
 
sdp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Megalopolis
Posts: 7,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
I'm confused, if the new movies cut out all the politics, then what's left to "rub people the wrong way" and how did they "go about it wrong?"
Or is it not political if there isn't a council meeting of some sort?

The original trilogy presented a space opera that had echos of the last great world war, and was made by a generation of people dealing with the US involvement in Vietnam. A far more murky endeavor than WWII.

The Prequels dealt with the political wheeling and dealings that brought us the rise of an authoritarian regime, by echoing the nation building going on in the middle east.

Where as the most current movies touch upon the fact that even if you defeat a group that most would agree are the personification of evil, that doesn't mean they're eradicated from the earth.

Taking down the Emperor didn't destroy either his methods or his philosophies, all it did was throw the universe into an intermediate period of chaos where those with means could take advantage of the power vacuum.

Instead of old white dudes running things with a supremacist bent, now we've got young white dudes running things with a supremacist bent.

And folks are making money hedging their bets on which ever side will come out victor...all while making a profit by selling arms.
As with many works of fiction you're trying too hard to look at things that aren't there. It's Space Fantasy at its core, there's plenty of political heavy fiction if you prefer, Star Wars isn't it and I don't know why you keep bringing it up, I already mentioned it's not what makes the new movies bad (or good). I didn't even notice the feminist agenda until pointed out later, I was too mad about everything else they had done to care.

Quote:
You didn't like it. It didn't work for you.

than someone who hated it because...Rey's elbows were too pointy for their taste.
It's more of a "You liked it. It worked for you." And that's cool. The majority didn't.

But see, your second point, people didn't dislike the movie because of their anti-feminist agenda as you want to imply with that comment. I'm sure some didn't because of that very reason, but just like those who like it because of that agenda, they're but a minority in the opinions of the film.
sdp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 12:29 PM   #1649
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine
 
plastroncafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Upsidedown
Posts: 7,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
As with many works of fiction you're trying too hard to look at things that aren't there. It's Space Fantasy at its core, there's plenty of political heavy fiction if you prefer, Star Wars isn't it and I don't know why you keep bringing it up, I already mentioned it's not what makes the new movies bad (or good). I didn't even notice the feminist agenda until pointed out later, I was too mad about everything else they had done to care.
Star Wars most certainly IS it.
Popular culture need not be overt in its political affiliations to be political.
Popular culture holds up a mirror to the social norms and conventions of the day.

Maybe you don't see that because someone hasn't pointed it out to you yet?

Quote:
It's more of a "You liked it. It worked for you." And that's cool. The majority didn't.
On the one hand, uh...okay?
On the other, are we sure about that majority?

Quote:
But see, your second point, people didn't dislike the movie because of their anti-feminist agenda as you want to imply with that comment. I'm sure some didn't because of that very reason, but just like those who like it because of that agenda, they're but a minority in the opinions of the film.
That's not what my second point was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
But as I've said: I'm no less a fan of this franchise for enjoying the parts of this movie, than someone who hated it because...Rey's elbows were too pointy for their taste.
Someone was used specifically to indicate that a person who holds that opinion about Rey's elbows is a non-majority member.
And we both agree that there are likely people out there who hold that opinion.

My second point was merely that I'm not less of a fan of this movie because I enjoyed part of it, just like that other Someone isn't any less of a fan for their objectification of Rey.
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 12:38 PM   #1650
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 14,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
On the one hand, uh...okay?
On the other, are we sure about that majority?


Pretty sure.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 12:53 PM   #1651
Vegita-San
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 4,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I thought it was confirmed those where bots?
__________________
'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 01:10 AM   #1652
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 14,696
lol... Rian Johnson deletes 20,000 tweets. Can't say that I blame him, though.

https://www.cosmicbooknews.com/rian-...deletes-tweets
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 02:41 AM   #1653
Vegita-San
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 4,418
getting ready to move on from star wars and doesn't want to look like a KK crazy?
__________________
'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 03:22 AM   #1654
Shark_Blade
Raph the Big Bro
 
Shark_Blade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
lol... Rian Johnson deletes 20,000 tweets. Can't say that I blame him, though.

https://www.cosmicbooknews.com/rian-...deletes-tweets
I pity the intern/PA hired to delete those tweets.
__________________

Ready for TMNT in Injustice 2?
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 08:50 AM   #1655
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine
 
plastroncafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Upsidedown
Posts: 7,935
There's an app for that.
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 05:26 PM   #1656
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 14,696
Oscar Isaac on "The Last Jedi"'s negative reactions:

http://www.darkhorizons.com/oscar-is...jedi-reaction/

Basically, "You don't like it? Go out and make your own movie, then!"
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 05:32 PM   #1657
Vegita-San
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 4,418
that was the safest, blandest, whitest answer I think i've ever seen.
delivered in a non confrontational way.

I guess it's kind of refreshing..but it also really shoes there's no passion for what he does in these movies, I think. either that, or he's just a really bland and boring interview.
__________________
'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 05:56 PM   #1658
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 14,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
that was the safest, blandest, whitest answer I think i've ever seen.
delivered in a non confrontational way.

I guess it's kind of refreshing..but it also really shoes there's no passion for what he does in these movies, I think. either that, or he's just a really bland and boring interview.
Is that what you got out of it? Maybe it's just me, but I read it very passive aggressive. Like, "Don't like my movie? Go make your own multi-million dollar movie and see how you do!"
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 06:22 PM   #1659
Vegita-San
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 4,418
i didn't see it phrased in an insulting way. I thought he went out of his way to try and make it sound middle of the road. not really staying on one side or the other.
__________________
'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 02:52 AM   #1660
Sumac
Mad Scientist
 
Sumac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Oscar Isaac on "The Last Jedi"'s negative reactions:

http://www.darkhorizons.com/oscar-is...jedi-reaction/

Basically, "You don't like it? Go out and make your own movie, then!"
What a dimwit.
__________________
Now with 150% more poison!
Sumac is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
notmyskywalker, star wars, subvert expectations, the last sjw

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.