The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 06-08-2018, 03:13 PM   #41
Sumac
Banned

Looper was one of the most disjointed movies I've seen. Not to mention rather questionable plot.
Just saying.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 04:50 PM   #42
Vegita-San
Emperor

checking out some youtubers on this.

some of them seem to think she's gone. this is just disney seeing how bad of a PR mess they'll have on their hands when it gets officially announced.

at this point, I'll believe it when i see it. but she is only part of the problem. the story group needs to go. pablo needs to go (apparently he's loyal to her). JJ and Rian need to go.

Legends needs to be re instated, an all the old authors asked back. these new, cheaper ones they got to replace them are horrid at best.

but still.. it'll take ALOT to win the good will back.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 04:55 PM   #43
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Well if the youtubers think she's gone it must be true
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 05:14 PM   #44
CyberCubed
Overlord

They're not going to make the old EU canon again when 90% of current fans have no idea what that is.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 05:14 PM   #45
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Maybe it's not too late to reedit and reshoot large portions of "The Last Jedi" under new management. Preserving all of Carrie's stuff, of course.

I wouldn't mind waiting an extra year for IX if it means we can get a proper VIII.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 07:35 PM   #46
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Looper was one of the most disjointed movies I've seen. Not to mention rather questionable plot.
Just saying.
I didn't like Looper but apart from the stupidly simple "climax" at the end, most of the problems I have with it aren't necessarily a problem with Rian's direction or story.

Unless his vision was always to set 80% of his futuristic time travel movie on a boring farm.
Old 06-09-2018, 02:25 AM   #47
Xav
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I wanted Rey to be the main Jedi,
Wait what? How the heck was Rey not the main Jedi?
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 03:35 AM   #48
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
There was no main Jedi. Her arc went from "inexplicably Force super sensitive person" to... I dunno... Luke's sort of Padawan to nothing. Her story in TLJ was meaningless. Her big scene in it is her mirror room scene, which is even more ambiguous than her Force visions scene in TFA. She comes out of movie #2 learning a little better how to move things with her mind. And how to lightsaber non-Force people, though even this wasn't something Luke taught her.
Old 06-09-2018, 05:10 AM   #49
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I didn't like Looper but apart from the stupidly simple "climax" at the end, most of the problems I have with it aren't necessarily a problem with Rian's direction or story.

Unless his vision was always to set 80% of his futuristic time travel movie on a boring farm.
The farm part was horrid and boring.
It's what I am talking about - the movie feels very uneven, like a Suicide Squad - like it consists from different parts, which might work as a coherent story, but they don't work for building a coherent atmosphere or tonality.
Old 06-09-2018, 09:39 AM   #50
ABrown
Banned

Yeah, I don't know who this person. When I saw the name, I thought maybe we were talking about this hot piece of...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AndiGutierrez.jpg (6.4 KB, 13 views)
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 05:50 PM   #51
Vegita-San
Emperor

you know..conspiracy theory time.

Has this back lash against kelly tran just started? like as in full blown the last few days? Or has it been going on for the last year?

It seems that no one seems to have cared until this rumor broke that KK is being replaced. Do you think Tran was told to delete her account? Is it possible that the people going after her are paid disney people trying to create a narrative against the 'angry fans' and to use as leverage when and if KK leaves?

It all seems like remarkable deflection timing to me.

Old 06-09-2018, 07:47 PM   #52
sdp
Megan Fox = April

That girls instagram account being deleted because of harassment is likely true, but I think it's safe to say that it isn't a conspiracy to say that the media and TLJ fans are clinging to this as an argument as to why TLJ is actually good and that the "fans" are the poison.

They've been milking this to death, you know what I say? Tough ****, that girl wants to leave instagram then she should, the internet is full of trolls and you either deal with it or not, she's a grown woman. I saw no such movement towards George Lucas or Jake Lloyd who got it far worse than this girl could ever dream of.

It's clear that there are 3 different groups of people that back up the ideology that TLJ and Disney Star Wars is good:

Disney $$$ is all over the media in one way or another, I already read a report that someone said they had to give a positive review for TLJ or else they wouldn't be invited to future events, this strategy is very well known by Apple and it's no surprise with the powerhouse of properties that they now own that they have this leverage again that they lost for a while

The political agenda people who aren't real fans and just want to support the progressive agenda that the current administration is putting in their films. Now I don't think the political agenda is too damaging to the brand, but the people calling other sexists/racists for not liking something is creating division in the fandom and you can even tell they're not fans.

The hardcore SW nerds who would support anything with SW on its name no matter what, to them the franchise can do no wrong so they'll defend it at no cost. These aren't the prequel haters, they loved them as well and bought all the merchandise even if they might have joined the complaints. I guess we can also include the Prequel haters here who love that Disney SWs is all pandering towards the OT. And you can also include here the SW fans who genuinely enjoyed the movie because well people like different things, but I'm guessing this is a minority.

These 3 groups together are the ones that have kept the dialog that TLJ is actually good and Disney is managing the franchise perfectly. But the cat is out of the bag, the majority of people disliked TLJ and are now seeing the flaws in Disney SW, this actually began after Rogue One when people started disecting more and more TFA and they realized they had been gypped into the same setting. I had thought that by now they had realized they couldn't win but now they're trying desperately to double down with this Instagram deletion "nontroversy" to put the blame on "bad fans" and that "Star Wars is better than ever".

I can confidently say that there more than half that hate the direction the franchise is going and this includes casual fans and hardcore fans regardless of the political stance that we have. So even those 3 groups together cannot stop the dialog anymore. Let's see if they double down on their current crappy strategy or somehow try to straighten the ship into the right direction. They already f-cked up the sequel trilogy beyond any repair but they might still be able to salvage the franchise as a whole.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 12:47 AM   #53
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I think Disney is spending the same marketing dollars Sony did in manifesting the narrative to "help" insulate the all-female Ghostbusters movie from criticism. "If you hate new Star Wars, then you're a MISOGYNIST and a basement dwelling TROLL! Look, Kelly Marie Tran gave up her Instagram account because the bullying was so bad, that's how bad the new Star Wars haters are!" Please.

Kelly Marie Tran instead of Leslie Jones (though KMT isn't fighting back, stoking the fires).
Old 06-10-2018, 03:38 AM   #54
Sumac
Banned

This tactic didn't save "Fembusters", so if movie isn't good all their "moneys" would be spend in vain.
Old 06-10-2018, 03:50 AM   #55
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
This tactic didn't save "Fembusters", so if movie isn't good all their "moneys" would be spend in vain.
Think back to when Disney bought Star Wars and suddenly, about a month after it was completed... there was about a million articles about "Maybe the prequels aren't so bad?" and "SW ring theory" and all of that, out of nowhere.

They're working the only angle they can to try and keep the dirt off their brand.
Old 06-10-2018, 06:33 AM   #56
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
That girls instagram account being deleted because of harassment is likely true, but I think it's safe to say that it isn't a conspiracy to say that the media and TLJ fans are clinging to this as an argument as to why TLJ is actually good and that the "fans" are the poison.

They've been milking this to death, you know what I say? Tough ****, that girl wants to leave instagram then she should, the internet is full of trolls and you either deal with it or not, she's a grown woman. I saw no such movement towards George Lucas or Jake Lloyd who got it far worse than this girl could ever dream of.
If you didn't see support for Lucas or Lloyd, it's because you weren't looking hard enough. Watching how this fandom has reacted in the wake of the newest Trilogy, has made me really glad I'm not part of that fandom.

It's nothing but vitriol, and no true Scotsman.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 07:14 AM   #57
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I think Disney is spending the same marketing dollars Sony did in manifesting the narrative to "help" insulate the all-female Ghostbusters movie from criticism. "If you hate new Star Wars, then you're a MISOGYNIST and a basement dwelling TROLL! Look, Kelly Marie Tran gave up her Instagram account because the bullying was so bad, that's how bad the new Star Wars haters are!" Please.

Kelly Marie Tran instead of Leslie Jones (though KMT isn't fighting back, stoking the fires).
The prevailing theory is that feig wrote most of the insulting tweets himself and then jones fired back at them before 'leaving' twitter.

if you look further into this one, apparently kelly didn't leave due to 'bullies' but left due to stress. maybe disney was pressuring her to go along with this and she didn't like it, because apparently the press has been trying to contact her about it but she has gone radio silent. at least this is what I Heard during a live podcast, so take it with a grain of salt.

but, it wouldn't surprise me at this point. I will never understand why studios will let someone destroy a brand just for political reasons that they themselves believe in. it makes ZERO sense from an investor and money earning stand point.

Old 06-10-2018, 08:07 AM   #58
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
If you didn't see support for Lucas or Lloyd, it's because you weren't looking hard enough. Watching how this fandom has reacted in the wake of the newest Trilogy, has made me really glad I'm not part of that fandom.

Being part of the fandom doesn't automatically make you bad person, neither it makes you complicit and whatever bad things they are doing.
But good job at being progressive and not generalizing.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:43 AM   #59
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
Well in context with the rest of the paragraph, I wanted Rey to be the main Jedi among other Jedi, not that she would be the last Jedi which is something that already happened in the OT. With that said, she took the backseat to Han Solo in TFA and to Kylo Ren/Luke in TLJ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post

Not to the extent that we're seeing with this girl who was so forgettable I don't even know the character's name, let alone the actress. All I remember was disliking her in the movie and that her toys are shelf warming everywhere.

What reaction? The fandom loved TFA, it wasn't until TLJ that they changed their opinion. It's odd that many visualize a star wars fan as this stereotypical fat virgin when it's the highest grossing movie series. The average fan is your average person. And the people on the "good side" of protecting this one girl are the same people who were the ones harassing Lucas and Lloyd.

The narrative that it's the fandom that's toxic and ruining Star Wars is simply the most ridiculous statement that mainstream "geek culture" blogs and social media activists are pulling. And they've been putting out a lot of ridiculous statements since the movie started getting blasted by fans.

Why were these FAKE geek culture blogs throwing dirt at Ben Affleck just a year ago after Batman v Superman and helping this hostility that has lead to the mess that is the DCEU now? I haven't even seen any examples of the so called harassment to this girl, which you would think they would screenshot and show people. And if they do this why don't they show the screen shots to other actors/directors who get the exact same treatment? I'm sure the social media of guys like Michael Bay are full of sh-t comments as well. Ridiculous, it's the internet, anyone can make an account and tell you to kill yourself. The internet isn't something new or a place to only get compliments and flowers.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 10:04 AM   #60
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

This isn't representative of my experience with the Star Wars fandom.
Now granted, the bulk of the people I interact with in that fandom are here, and the reaction to TFA was not overly positive at all.
And those who did view it positively were told that we weren't real fans anyway.

You may not have seen the abuse leveled at Kelly Tran, whose character was named Rose btw, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.

There's not a doubt in my mind that the average Star Wars fan doesn't fall into either category of vitriol or No True Scotsman, however...those are the ones speaking up, so those are the ones that get heard.

The internet doesn't have to be a place where any jerkoff can make an account and tell another person to die, but it is because the silent majority of folks don't stand up and tell the jerkoffs to go somewhere else.
And so you get the overwhelming public perception that fans of Star Wars are mouth breathing basement dwellers.

The fandom has no one to blame but themselves for that assessment.
If they're not going to police their own, then this is what happens.
And what's worse, it turns into a slippery slope.
Verbal abuse online can all too easily turn into abuse offline.

And that's when we find ourselves with threads in the Current Events section.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kathleen kennedy, lucasfilm, vegita-san hates women