The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Video Game Discussion

Notices

Old 09-08-2017, 11:11 AM   #61
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

I hate to tell the naysayers this; but yes, retro titles are hot, and are NOT just a niche market. The PC version of Sonic Mania sold 100,000 units in 3 days, it's the number one title on the Nintendo Switch, and the 1# in the UK right now. Crash Bandicoot and Sonic are battling for the 1# position right now on the play station. Just this past month, the retro titles outsold most of the big AAA titles by a wide margin. the only two PS4 titles to beat Sonic Mania were Madden and Hellblade. This is actually happening.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/201..._sellers_chart

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...-1-last-week-p

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017...top-downloads/

These games are made on a smaller budget, and with a shorter development time. Could you imagine what would happen if Konami got the license back, and made an upgraded 2d sequel to turtles in time? Or even if somebody else made a TMNT retro arcade style beat em' up, and followed the Konami model faithfully, we could have a mega hit on our hands.

The retro game boom is not just a hipster niche market, these games are SELLING!
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 12:31 PM   #62
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
I hate to tell the naysayers this; but yes, retro titles are hot, and are NOT just a niche market. The PC version of Sonic Mania sold 100,000 units in 3 days, it's the number one title on the Nintendo Switch, and the 1# in the UK right now. Crash Bandicoot and Sonic are battling for the 1# position right now on the play station. Just this past month, the retro titles outsold most of the big AAA titles by a wide margin. the only two PS4 titles to beat Sonic Mania were Madden and Hellblade. This is actually happening.

These games are made on a smaller budget, and with a shorter development time. Could you imagine what would happen if Konami got the license back, and made an upgraded 2d sequel to turtles in time? Or even if somebody else made a TMNT retro arcade style beat em' up, and followed the Konami model faithfully, we could have a mega hit on our hands.

The retro game boom is not just a hipster niche market, these games are SELLING!
Very true, games like TMNT would be better suited as retro style games, for years they been trying to make TMNT games using the latest in graphics, but they all failed to capture the fun of the original games.
Old 09-08-2017, 02:01 PM   #63
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Very true, games like TMNT would be better suited as retro style games, for years they been trying to make TMNT games using the latest in graphics, but they all failed to capture the fun of the original games.
Fun of the original games:

*mash* *mash* *mash* the same 2 buttons over and over again. Absolutely riveting... in 1990.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:29 PM   #64
DevilSpooky
Stone Warrior

Quote:

And not forget that Hellblade is also a indie game, with a really small budget and made with a team of only 25 people, it's what they're calling a AAA indie title.

Forget Konami, they dig their hole and are lying there waiting for the rest to cover them up, they're dead and out of the game.

And forget about more TMNT games for the next couple of years, AAA or otherwise, with "luck" we might get a couple of P2W Smartphone Rise tie-in and that's it...
Old 09-09-2017, 02:40 PM   #65
Ninjinister
無問題

I think what is important to realize is that outside of the troubles of getting a team that isn't garbage, the main problem is that TMNT isn't a guaranteed moneymaker anymore. Especially with the current show on its last episodes (and being treated like poo in its airing schedule), we'd have to see how Rise fares to know if a game will have the opportunity to be commercially successful.

I mean even if you did a 2D brawler that was well-received without a successful show on the air, you'd only be selling to nostalgia boner-strokers. And even then probably only if it was Fred Wolf only styled.
Old 09-09-2017, 04:05 PM   #66
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
I think what is important to realize is that outside of the troubles of getting a team that isn't garbage, the main problem is that TMNT isn't a guaranteed moneymaker anymore. Especially with the current show on its last episodes (and being treated like poo in its airing schedule), we'd have to see how Rise fares to know if a game will have the opportunity to be commercially successful.

I mean even if you did a 2D brawler that was well-received without a successful show on the air, you'd only be selling to nostalgia boner-strokers. And even then probably only if it was Fred Wolf only styled.
Ehhhh, you need to remember, the TMNT games were considered classics back in the day. TMNT 2: The arcade game was always at the top of the nintendo power top NES list, right after super mario bros. 3. A TMNT side scroller beat 'em up, made in the vein of the classic games, would make as much as sonic mania, or the crash trilogy.
Old 09-09-2017, 04:20 PM   #67
Powder
So tired of this place

Ehhhh, you need to remember, the TMNT games did as well as they did because they were the new f**king Mickey Mouse. Pokemon's just about the only other thing that took the world by storm to a similar extent. There's no way a new installment would touch Sonic or Crash sale levels, you're delusional.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 04:49 PM   #68
DevilSpooky
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Ehhhh, you need to remember, the TMNT games did as well as they did because they were the new f**king Mickey Mouse. Pokemon's just about the only other thing that took the world by storm to a similar extent. There's no way a new installment would touch Sonic or Crash sale levels, you're delusional.
Probably yeah, but word of mouth does wonders, a really good game that is able to draw the attention of the 40 something nostalgia geeks would gain enough hype for everyone else to feel the itch to try it, just like games like FEZ, Super Meat Boy, Terraria and the like, all the weebos would jump right on the hype train of the next big thing if everyone else does the same.
Old 09-09-2017, 05:01 PM   #69
Powder
So tired of this place

Weebo? Do you mean weeaboo? I don't see how people obsessed with Japanese culture factor into this.

Old 09-10-2017, 01:36 PM   #70
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Exactly. They older games are very much a product of their times. I'm not saying that it'd be impossible for new Turtles games in a similar vein to do well, but they'd need to be a perfect storm of timing and quality (and probably marketing).
Old 09-10-2017, 06:29 PM   #71
DevilSpooky
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Weebo? Do you mean weeaboo? I don't see how people obsessed with Japanese culture factor into this.
Posers, whatever, you know what I meant...
Old 09-10-2017, 06:52 PM   #72
Powder
So tired of this place

I do now, but I didn't before. A weeaboo/weebo is someone who goes over to top with their interest in anime, j-pop, sushi, etc. I didn't understand. It's not an attack against you, man...

Old 09-10-2017, 10:37 PM   #73
DevilSpooky
Stone Warrior

Quote:
I do now, but I didn't before. A weeaboo/weebo is someone who goes over to top with their interest in anime, j-pop, sushi, etc. I didn't understand. It's not an attack against you, man...
Oh no, I know it wasn't buddy, we're ok
Old 09-13-2017, 08:05 PM   #74
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
I disagree totally, but I'm not going to waste my time arguing and trading insults.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:09 AM   #75
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:

That's great news. I didn't know Sonic Mania was doing that well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Fun of the original games:

*mash* *mash* *mash* the same 2 buttons over and over again. Absolutely riveting... in 1990.
I take it you completely ignored Panda's above post then?

Quote:
Kind of have to disagree here. Sonic has been in quite a rut and hasn't had a critical or commercial hit since 1999. Sonic Mania has saved his reputation. Crash was pretty much dead until they released the remastered version. So yeah I don't see why not, the competition of those two to TMNT isn't as big as you think.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 03:30 PM   #76
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
Kind of have to disagree here. Sonic has been in quite a rut and hasn't had a critical or commercial hit since 1999. Sonic Mania has saved his reputation. Crash was pretty much dead until they released the remastered version. So yeah I don't see why not, the competition of those two to TMNT isn't as big as you think.
Sonic has also maintained a GIANT fanbase no matter how terrible the games are. And even if it critically flops, Sonic Forces will probably do better financially.

I can't speak for Crash, though, since I have no insight on his fanbase or reception of the trilogy remake.

I don't think anybody is saying that Sonic and Crash are "competition" to TMNT though. What I and others have been saying, is that the path to a critically and financially successful TMNT game is a bigger struggle, whether it's like the old games or not, and is unlikely to happen without several important factors falling into place just right. Of course I want that to happen. TMNT means more to me than any other fictional property. It's just that through following how that franchise and how video games have resonated with the public for pretty much my entire life, I can be realistic at the chances.
Ninjinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 07:51 PM   #77
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

So does anyone still play this on xbox one??? wanting to beat it.
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:35 AM   #78
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Sonic has also maintained a GIANT fanbase no matter how terrible the games are. And even if it critically flops, Sonic Forces will probably do better financially.
They've done well but no where near as good as the Mega Drive games did.

Quote:
I can't speak for Crash, though, since I have no insight on his fanbase or reception of the trilogy remake.
I believe Crash has been more or less dead since 2008.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 05:14 PM   #79
I Crave Pizza No More
Mad Scientist

My brother and I are playing through this on PS4, but man, it's hard to take. Bebop was incredibly difficult for a first boss, and the Karai level is straight broken. Confusing objectives, cheaply difficult enemies and tasks--a real mess.
I Crave Pizza No More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 09:03 AM   #80
eskater
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Crave Pizza No More View Post
My brother and I are playing through this on PS4, but man, it's hard to take. Bebop was incredibly difficult for a first boss, and the Karai level is straight broken. Confusing objectives, cheaply difficult enemies and tasks--a real mess.
I'm still on the Wingnut stage on PS4 and yeah it's a bit tough even on a normal setting.

Tags
cferreira_is_loose_again, powder_the_cuck