The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion > Collection Photos

Notices

Old 04-19-2014, 10:16 PM   #2001
bronty
Thug

Yeah but the movie is dated 1990 - subsequent to Tmnt 21, which is my point. Im not suggesting that the material this was for was a tie in to Tmnt 21. Im saying.. whoever was hired to do this piece, probably had Tmnt 21 and or another item with the same scene, in front of him. You have to picture some guy that doesn't know Tmnt from strawberry shortcake being asked to paint something for a turtles book, game, whatever. He's going to be given some direction and some past product material so he can get the look and details - and setting - down.

As for the art style I don't think it's reminiscent of playmates work at all, at least not the playmates work Ive seen. It's simply in the same medium but stylistically it's not really that similar. The playmates stuff used a more cartoony look, of course, since the toys were cartoon tie ins after all. This isn't a cartoony look. So when you say it's an 'obvious playmates influence' I disagree, although Im sure you know more about the action figures than me so maybe there is a specific look that Im not aware of.

A movie tie in would be possible, but given how the turtles looked in the first movie Id guess no, and I tend to think it might be for something outside of the playmates license because again its not a cartoony look.

Which is not a bad starting point either, come to think of it. Does anyone know specifically what the playmates license covered? Action figures only? It couldn't have been everything or even all toys given that konami/ultra had the video game license.

Last edited by bronty; 04-19-2014 at 10:22 PM.
bronty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:18 AM   #2002
Peter Palmer
Hench Mutant

Such great stuff in this thread!
Old 04-20-2014, 08:34 PM   #2003
Sofistocat
Stone Warrior

Some new pickups. Put a nice dent in my Vol. 1 collection. Below is some City at War Lawson/Aiken goodness. The scans don't do the DuoShade justice, they introduce a bar pattern with the grain of the toning not present in person:

TMNT #53 pg 23
Spoiler:

TMNT #56 pg 15
Spoiler:

TMNT Vol.1 Issue 59 page 12
Spoiler:

TMNT Vol.1 Issue 62 page 20 I end my City At War collection with Nathaniel Buscheyev
Spoiler:

TMNT #1 RI-D Michelangelo Sketch
Spoiler:

And a Michael Gaydos Cherry on top. I'm a sucker for spacy splashes, especially an opening splash. I was never really into the Archie side of things, but this page caught my eye.
Merdude #3 page 4
Spoiler:

My Technodrome Forums TMNT Collection

My ComicArtFan Galleries

Buy Mark Martin's Original Art HERE

Last edited by Sofistocat; 04-20-2014 at 09:05 PM.
Sofistocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:08 PM   #2004
Redrumh2o
Mad Scientist

Nice gets!!.....so you were the one that stole that Mikey off eBay!!! Killer Price!!
Redrumh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 10:00 PM   #2005
MrPliggins
Foot Elite

Great pickups. Glad you finally found some cool CAW pages!
MrPliggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 10:06 PM   #2006
The Fifth Turtle
Mad Scientist

Super sick CAW pieces. I think Eastman just listed some others too.
The Fifth Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:53 PM   #2007
TheCanadiandrome
Big, Bad & Bold

Location: Inside the Technodrome; Shredderville; Saskatchewan
grats on those CAW pieces

Add me: PSN/XBL; Nintendo Network ID: BDS-3.1.6; Switch FC: SW-3378-5206-8020

TMNT Fan Club: http://sot.ag/4jZR0

Visit My Wish List:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=30904

My Collection:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=40276
TheCanadiandrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 04:49 AM   #2008
Sofistocat
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrumh2o View Post
Nice gets!!.....so you were the one that stole that Mikey off eBay!!! Killer Price!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPliggins View Post
Great pickups. Glad you finally found some cool CAW pages!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Turtle View Post
Super sick CAW pieces. I think Eastman just listed some others too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadiandrome View Post
grats on those CAW pieces
Thanks y'all. It was a good day when I struck the deal for the CAW pages. Getting a complete OA set of the 13 books would be nice...

The Mikey RI-D cover is pretty cool, I wanted to see one in person more than anything. Twas impulsive spending.

The Eastman pages are from RTNY mostly, their proces have been record breaking to say the least. I'm wary the auctions may affect the market in a not so desireable way---> pricing out us everyday folk. Not sure if there has ever been a price tag for a single Lawson page as what Eastman has been selling them for.

My ComicArtFan Galleries

Old 04-22-2014, 07:05 AM   #2009
Plasticplayhouse
the gray ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofistocat View Post
Some new pickups. Put a nice dent in my Vol. 1 collection. Below is some City at War Lawson/Aiken goodness. The scans don't do the DuoShade justice, they introduce a bar pattern with the grain of the toning not present in person:

TMNT #53 pg 23

TMNT #56 pg 15

TMNT Vol.1 Issue 59 page 12

TMNT Vol.1 Issue 62 page 20 I end my City At War collection with Nathaniel Buscheyev

TMNT #1 RI-D Michelangelo Sketch

And a Michael Gaydos Cherry on top. I'm a sucker for spacy splashes, especially an opening splash. I was never really into the Archie side of things, but this page caught my eye.
Merdude #3 page 4
love the C@W pages. i know what you mean about an opening splash, i'm a sucker for them too. they are so easily recognizable and they often set the tone for the story.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:52 AM   #2010
bronty
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofistocat View Post

The Eastman pages are from RTNY mostly, their proces have been record breaking to say the least. I'm wary the auctions may affect the market in a not so desireable way---> pricing out us everyday folk. Not sure if there has ever been a price tag for a single Lawson page as what Eastman has been selling them for.
Sorry, fill me in please? Where were the RTNY pages being sold? I didn't see anything obvious on ebay
Old 04-22-2014, 10:57 AM   #2011
Plasticplayhouse
the gray ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronty View Post
Sorry, fill me in please? Where were the RTNY pages being sold? I didn't see anything obvious on ebay
i was wondering the same thing. i know kevin listed a page or two from RTNY on ebay, but i have not seen any others for quite a while. maybe he meant to say C@W?? i have seen several of them listed on the bay lately, for rediculous asking prices i might add.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:03 AM   #2012
bronty
Thug

and congrats on the acquisitions, btw!
Old 04-22-2014, 11:14 AM   #2013
The Cheese Phone
Thug

Here ya go.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TMNT-Origina...item2a3b748c47

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TMNT-Origina...item2a3b753e3a
The Cheese Phone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:45 AM   #2014
bronty
Thug

thx. I see he sold another, better #21 page recently too.

I'm not surprised he's getting good amounts for these. Its direct from the artist, open auction on ebay, tmnt doing well, the early comics are rising a lot in value... really all things considered the early art has probably been a bit cheap, comparatively, and lagging a bit behind the price increases in the comics themselves.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:50 PM   #2015
TheCanadiandrome
Big, Bad & Bold

Location: Inside the Technodrome; Shredderville; Saskatchewan
woof! too rich for me

Add me: PSN/XBL; Nintendo Network ID: BDS-3.1.6; Switch FC: SW-3378-5206-8020

TMNT Fan Club: http://sot.ag/4jZR0

Visit My Wish List:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=30904

My Collection:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=40276
TheCanadiandrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 04:22 PM   #2016
Mayhem
Foot Elite

Makes the few hundred dollars I paid for my #19 page seem a bargain by comparison! Still love a page from the early issues though... might be impossible now for a decent price. Missed out on a couple on HA a few years back that went for about $800 each.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:24 PM   #2017
MrPliggins
Foot Elite

Man oh man I miss the old days of collecting TMNT art. My two CAW pages were $30 and $20. However that was in 1993/4! This is now way out of my league. But it's still cool to see the pages being offered.
MrPliggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:39 PM   #2018
Plasticplayhouse
the gray ghost

kevin and i could sell the same page and mine might fetch half of what he does. bronty's right about direct from the artist, but i never really saw the difference. OA is OA, i dont really care who it comes from personally.

maybe in a few years when the next tmnt dry spell hits, those pages will be going for a fraction of what they're trading for these days.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:05 PM   #2019
bronty
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasticplayhouse View Post
kevin and i could sell the same page and mine might fetch half of what he does. bronty's right about direct from the artist, but i never really saw the difference. OA is OA, i dont really care who it comes from personally.

maybe in a few years when the next tmnt dry spell hits, those pages will be going for a fraction of what they're trading for these days.
Ha! I hear you !

I think there is just something about it. Buyers like knowing they are dealing with the artist. There is zero fear that its fake. They get to interact a little bit with the artist on a personal level. Buying it from the artist they are also the first (collector) owner of the piece so its not something that's been shopped around.

Whether its for these reasons or for something different altogether, it just seems to work.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:06 PM   #2020
Sofistocat
Stone Warrior

Yeah, I was pretty much talking about all the recent posts here and what it could do for the market. Though it was before my collecting time, I just thought the RTNY pages Eastman sold on the Heavy Metal page a while back have had a vigorous influx in demand to set the prices for the pages currently on ebay. It's just very un-precedented to see a Lawson penciled page go for multiple K's...

I see and agree Bronty's point but also agree with PPP as it's a page of OA and personally it doesn't matter to me if it's from the artist or not. But I will say that coming from the artist had had a direct causality for the bids being so high.

I'd say it's safe bet we won't see any sub-1K RTNY pages from Eastman, or maybe anyone. I think the art dealers are loving Kevin's auctions. And that's the concern I raised before with getting priced out.

My ComicArtFan Galleries