The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > 4Kids TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you think the 2003 series is under-appreciated?
Yes, I do think its under-appreciated 107 88.43%
No, it has enough credit/meh I dont care for it 14 11.57%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-27-2016, 10:33 AM   #21
thundermaster612
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrMikey View Post
Yep, but only those who have seen this series during four years when it was on TV know about it. (Only the first four seasons were released in France)
I think the reason for that was because some contract had ended or something had happened with the channel that aired it, either way they still could've aired the rest but they must've been too lazy like the guys who created the DVDs
Old 02-27-2016, 11:36 AM   #22
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Which were the biggest cartoon series at the time TMNT 2003 was on? Gotta keep in mind that it lasted for 7 seasons, which is a lot for cartoons nowadays.

But when the general audience thinks of children's cartoons from the past decade, which series spring to mind?
During the early 2000's we had Justice League/Unlimited, Teen Titans, X-men Evolution, Avatar the last Airbender, Dragonball Z in the U.S., Pokemon was still very popular at the time, etc.

I think you're also forgetting the anime craze was huge in the U.S. at the time, especially with Pokemon, DBZ, and Yu-gi-oh. Most American cartoons were overshadowed by anime's popularity at the time.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 11:48 AM   #23
Sumac
Banned

What happened with TMNT'03 is always baffling to me.

It's like, when it was airing, people were excited for it, but some were not even aware that it was existing. And as soon as it was over, a lot of people have forgotten that this show even existed in the first place. The same thing had happened with TMNT'07, but not to that capacity.

It's like some people went into black out, regarding TMNT stuff, between 1998 and 2012. Which is quite disappointing to me, since I consider TMNT'03 to be the best TMNT series and basically a possible template for what TMNT series and stories should be (of course, it goes for the first 4 seasons only).

As for the reasons...I dunno, maybe it was hard to accept for some people, after original series...or maybe it was not marketed enough.
I guess, in the end, it was just too different from people expectations of what TMNT series should be, which in a pop-culture, have been formed by the original cartoon, and hence why TMNT'12 is such a massive success / better known.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 02:09 PM   #24
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

I think once the interest for a USA cartoon in a non-English speaking country declines the series stops soon airing in that country since no company is interested in spending money in dubbing more episodes. Sometimes, subtitles can save a series from cancellation.

In Sweden, the 1987 TMNT cartoon aired for five seasons with season 1-3 + Vacation in Europe dubbed, seasons 4-5 with subtitles (which was probably to get more new episodes faster). 2003 cartoon. The 2003 TMNT cartoon aired for 3 or 4 seasons. The new still airs. All series are still remembered, 2003 is remembered as a "failed 2003 attempt to restart TMNT".

A very few Mirage comics have been published in many countries so it isn't easy to know it's more like the original.

During the 1990's we had 1970's nostalgia and during the early 2000's we had 1980's nostalgia. Now it's the 2010's and we have 1990's nostalgia. Beyond 2020, early 2000's nostalgia will kick in so if TMNT is still around then there's a chance the series will get more publicity (and maybe a new TMNT cartoon more 2003-based).
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 07:00 PM   #25
DevilSpooky
Stone Warrior

Think about this, during the 80's and 90's the Turtles where huge, and kids only thought about them, but then the kids grew up, they reached that age where anything cartoon was for little kids and no one cared about them, that was during the 2000's, then 2010's came, they grew up, they got kids of their own and the stigma of "cartoons are for kids" died out, so a TMNT show on TV during this time was perfect, the parents that grew up during the original boom wanted to remember those days, to share them with a new generation.

I'm sure we'll see the same patern emerge for this generation, they'll grow up, they won't care for cartoons anymore so a new TMNT show will be ignored, but then they'll grow up, they'll have kids, they'll share their childhood with them and a new TMNT show will be popular again.
Old 02-27-2016, 11:10 PM   #26
shuriken
Second City Shinobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundermaster612 View Post
well its too late to make those changes so deal with it
I did. I didn't vote on the poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer View Post
Do you have source, bc that does not even make sense considering the sales for Mirage volume 4 were so low the later issues were direct order from Mirage website or digital only.

Volume 4 is essentially a failed line of comics. If any other comic had its sales number it would have been cancelled.
I meant among the online community/ word of mouth and general buzz about TMNT. The franchise as a whole was dead by 1998. No comics, series, games or books came out from 1998-2000. (Volume 3 ended, and Next mutation was not renewed for a second season)
Volume four comes out and there is interest and a buzz, not huge but it's there. I agree it wasn't the most successful volume (much less comic series), and it loses it's way at around issue 12 but whatever. My point is it reinvigorated the franchise that 2k3 carried over until it's cancelation. Now it's not as popular as 87 or 2k12, but that doesn't mean its unappreciated.
Besides, its my opinion, and opinions don't always make sense.
Old 02-27-2016, 11:14 PM   #27
CyberCubed
Overlord

I was one of those original kids from the 80's who loved the original cartoon, movies, etc....and became a teenager when the 2k3 series was airing.

I was 16, or just turned 17, back in 2003 when the show started. As a teenager the show was everything I wanted, and I felt like the Turtles finally had a serious action show on par with Batman: TAS, etc.

A lot of you are forgetting the original fanbase like myself were teenagers when the 2k3 series was airing, so for those of us still interested in the franchise we watched it seriously. Some other teenagers were probably in the, "I need to outgrow cartoons" phase and for that reason didn't watch it.

Damn, I was only 15 when Volume 4 started in 2001. Jesus Christ I am getting old.
Old 02-28-2016, 08:41 AM   #28
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
As a teenager the show was everything I wanted, and I felt like the Turtles finally had a serious action show on par with Batman: TAS, etc.
Definitely. I haven't seen much of the Nick show - maybe ten episodes at most - but the 2K3 series definitely seems like the more powerful and impressive of the two in terms of story and development. Even when FF and BttS are taken into account. Overall it certainly is as well-writen as B:TAS is.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 09:36 AM   #29
Prowler
Emperor

I think that nowadays, cartoons simply aren't as important for kids as they were back in the 80s-90s. I mean, obviously kids still watch them, but back then kids had to wake up early on weekends to be able to watch their favourite cartoons. Nowadays there's TV networks airing cartoon series 24/7. And there's so many animated series nowadays and each doesn't last that long aside from some exceptions, so it's hard for a cartoon series to hit big and hog all the spotlight for a few years like the 87 toon did back in the day.

Quote:
I was one of those original kids from the 80's who loved the original cartoon, movies, etc....and became a teenager when the 2k3 series was airing.

I was 16, or just turned 17, back in 2003 when the show started. As a teenager the show was everything I wanted, and I felt like the Turtles finally had a serious action show on par with Batman: TAS, etc.

A lot of you are forgetting the original fanbase like myself were teenagers when the 2k3 series was airing, so for those of us still interested in the franchise we watched it seriously. Some other teenagers were probably in the, "I need to outgrow cartoons" phase and for that reason didn't watch it.

Damn, I was only 15 when Volume 4 started in 2001. Jesus Christ I am getting old.
Yeah, I definitely felt like the franchsie had grown with me. By the time the 4Kids series came out I was getting in my teens and starting to find the 87 toon not so cool and edgy anymore, so it was a breath of fresh air. And like I've said a few times before, desptie being born in 1990 I was able to get into the 87 toon in the late 90s/early 2000s due to it rerunning often on a cable network in my country. I got heavily into it in 2002-2003. So by the time the 4Kids series came out, I was still watching the FW series lol. Another user, Wesley from Ireland, said the same ting happened in his country.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 11:03 AM   #30
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Quote:

Yeah, I definitely felt like the franchsie had grown with me. By the time the 4Kids series came out I was getting in my teens and starting to find the 87 toon not so cool and edgy anymore, so it was a breath of fresh air. And like I've said a few times before, desptie being born in 1990 I was able to get into the 87 toon in the late 90s/early 2000s due to it rerunning often on a cable network in my country. I got heavily into it in 2002-2003. So by the time the 4Kids series came out, I was still watching the FW series lol. Another user, Wesley from Ireland, said the same ting happened in his country.
Yep, the 87 cartoon was rerun a lot in Ireland on rte two from the mid 90s to late 00s, so I was able to watch both the OT and 2003 series at the same time. I'd say the 2003 cartoon is underrated. I think 2003 was never as popular in Ireland as the original show was, though, as it was only shown once a week, whereas 87 was shown more often. It didn't help that sometimes the two shows got mixed up when they aired.

Last edited by Wesley; 02-28-2016 at 11:39 AM.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 11:47 AM   #31
TurtleGuy
Foot Soldier

Quote:
I think that nowadays, cartoons simply aren't as important for kids as they were back in the 80s-90s. I mean, obviously kids still watch them, but back then kids had to wake up early on weekends to be able to watch their favourite cartoons. Nowadays there's TV networks airing cartoon series 24/7. And there's so many animated series nowadays and each doesn't last that long aside from some exceptions, so it's hard for a cartoon series to hit big and hog all the spotlight for a few years like the 87 toon did back in the day.
Just wanted to correct a few things in this post. Back in the 80s/90s kids didn't have to wait until the weekend. There was weekday first-run and rerun syndication(which is where the 87 toon started), and there were weekday afternoon blocks from Kids WB and Fox Kids.

Also, there's only ONE true tv network that airs cartoons 24/7 and that's Boomerang. Nicktoons and Disney XD air live action shows, and CN and Nick share their channels with Adult Swim and Nick at Nite.

Sorry, it's just a little pet peeve of mine when people claim there are so many channels that air cartoons 24/7 when there's only 1(at least here in the States).

And then there's the fact that the channels that do air cartoons all day are content with just airing one show all day(I'm looking at you Teen Titans Go and Spongebob).
TurtleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 03:22 PM   #32
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Some other teenagers were probably in the, "I need to outgrow cartoons" phase and for that reason didn't watch it.
I watched some (action) cartoons in secreet around the age of 12 and I hated it (not the cartoons, but having to hide something that had so obvious to do just one year ago or so)! I felt like someone watched me from outside, and every 5th minute or so I felt I needed to check out noone was watching me through the windows. Sometimes I did channel-switching short in case someone watched. Same with comics (and some other books), used to hide them deep within wardrobes from friends if they were new (if they were dated some years earlier was OK because that was when we were younger).
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 05:30 PM   #33
Shark_Blade
Emperor

It's hard to appreciate it as much tbh...

Casey was a useless moron (everytime he's on screen is a waste of time). Shredder was a lame ass alien brain, ew. Their sewer was too stylized and sci-fi farfetched. Too much magic, too much planetary space-travelling, Raph sounded like a 50 years old chainsmoker instead of a teenager... and so much more.

I absolutely adore their Usagi Yojimbo though. they nailed it perfectly.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 05:33 PM   #34
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post

Casey was a useless moron (everytime he's on screen is a waste of time). Shredder was a lame ass alien brain, ew. Their sewer was too stylized and sci-fi farfetched. Too much magic, too much planetary space-travelling, Raph sounded like a 50 years old chainsmoker instead of a teenager... and so much more.

Haters gonna Hate
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 08:25 PM   #35
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleGuy View Post
Just wanted to correct a few things in this post. Back in the 80s/90s kids didn't have to wait until the weekend. There was weekday first-run and rerun syndication(which is where the 87 toon started), and there were weekday afternoon blocks from Kids WB and Fox Kids.

Also, there's only ONE true tv network that airs cartoons 24/7 and that's Boomerang. Nicktoons and Disney XD air live action shows, and CN and Nick share their channels with Adult Swim and Nick at Nite.

Sorry, it's just a little pet peeve of mine when people claim there are so many channels that air cartoons 24/7 when there's only 1(at least here in the States).

And then there's the fact that the channels that do air cartoons all day are content with just airing one show all day(I'm looking at you Teen Titans Go and Spongebob).
Really? I can think of at least 3 here. Cartoon Network being one of them. Then there's Disney Channel and Nickelodeon which air not only cartoons but also live action shows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post

Casey wasn't that bad in the first season, but he got worse as the series progressed, yes. Hell, so did Michelangelo and Raphael. The former got more annoying and arrogant as time went by while the latter got more hotheaded and impulsive. It's like their characters regressed as time went on.

Shredder being a Utrom is something some fans just cannot accept. I understand. It was hard for me to accept at first, but I eventually got over it.

The Lair being all sci-fi? True, but why did you let that detriment your enjoyment of the show? Same for Raph's voice. Planetary space-travelling? That kind of stuff has always been common in TMNT.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:19 PM   #36
TurtleGuy
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Really? I can think of at least 3 here. Cartoon Network being one of them. Then there's Disney Channel and Nickelodeon which air not only cartoons but also live action shows.
It's a different story here in the United States. Disney Channel for instance hardly airs cartoons anymore outside of Disney Junior. It's mostly tween sitcoms with (ugh)laugh tracks.

Then you have stuff like Adult Swim and Nick@Nite. Nick@Nite is okay if a little "George Lopez" heavy, but Adult Swim sucks outside of Venture Bros., Rick & Morty, Bob's Burgers, King of the Hill, Toonami, and Mike Tyson Mysteries.

Last edited by TurtleGuy; 02-28-2016 at 10:57 PM.
Old 02-28-2016, 10:39 PM   #37
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I thought Bob's Burgers was a Fox show?
Old 02-28-2016, 10:56 PM   #38
TurtleGuy
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
I thought Bob's Burgers was a Fox show?
It is but it's also rerun on Adult Swim.
Old 02-29-2016, 12:48 AM   #39
CyberCubed
Overlord

This is probably the only forum I've been on where people consider a show that went on for 156 episodes, 7 seasons and a DTV movie and say it was "overlooked."

The way people talk you would think the 2k3 series got canceled in like two seasons or something or only made 26-52 episodes like how other cartoons get canceled early. The show literally made over 150 episodes. Only 40ish eps less than the original cartoon did. That's a damn big achievement.
Old 02-29-2016, 01:07 AM   #40
shuriken
Second City Shinobi

^^I'd have to agree with you there. And I'd say 2/3 of those episodes were good/ enjoyable enough for me to re-watch. Can't say the same for the 87 series.

Tags
2k3 series, channelmadness