The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2020, 02:25 AM   #1721
Otter
Hench Mutant
 
Otter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Australia
Posts: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianice388 View Post
he's confirmed for S7! they got the license.
Beat me to the punch.

Also, I don't think Usagi is a "nightmare license". He appeared in multiple Playmates lines, the Nick cartoon, IDW's game... I think it's only a matter of time until he shows up in NECA's line.

Stan is cool like that. He wants fans to be able to access Usagi.

Last edited by Otter; 10-09-2020 at 03:27 AM.
Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 03:28 AM   #1722
Chris
Mad Scientist
 
Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: UK
Posts: 1,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToSte View Post
If we pretend series 5 is the final installment, what 4 characters would you need? For me it would be:
Slash
Pizzaface
Wingnut
Leatherhead
If wave 5 was it then I’d say these are the must haves for me:

Krang (with Android Body and walker)
Rat King
Leatherhead
Slash

Honestly, once we have those 4, anything after that is just a bonus to me. Luckily for me I think we’ll see most (if not all) of those 4 in the 7 waves they currently have planned.

As for a realistic wave 5:

Turtle Variant (probably Raph the Space Cadet)
Genghis Frog
Krang (really hope it’s a deluxe type figure with both body and walker)
Rat King

Honestly, I’d love it if they switched out Genghis for a real curveball like Ninjara. First because I want her, second because I’d love to see the online reaction (plus the combo of brand new figure and an uber deluxe Krang set would take away from the inevitable “ugh Turtle variants” complaints)

Maybe Usagi will be in wave 5 (we know he’s next year) but personally I’d put him in wave 6 with Sewer Samurai Leo as I think Usagi might help boost Leo sales a bit there as they’d display well together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemu View Post
Not official yet, but Brian said they are looking into adding the unmasked prototype casey jones Head. They have heard the comments.
That’s great to hear! I do love that they real do seem to take on board stuff like this.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 10:54 AM   #1723
mikey0
Mad Scientist
 
mikey0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,337
What will waves 6 and 7 look like?
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 02:29 PM   #1724
inaheap
Stone Warrior
 
inaheap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 799
If they do Space Cadet Raph you won't hear any ugh variants from me. He is one of my favorites.
__________________
I have always liked Cowa-bunga!


We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing

When I became an adult I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.
inaheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 02:37 PM   #1725
Macaquerie
Mouser
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
If wave 5 was it then I’d say these are the must haves for me:

Krang (with Android Body and walker)
Rat King
Leatherhead
Slash

Honestly, once we have those 4, anything after that is just a bonus to me. Luckily for me I think we’ll see most (if not all) of those 4 in the 7 waves they currently have planned.

As for a realistic wave 5:

Turtle Variant (probably Raph the Space Cadet)
Genghis Frog
Krang (really hope it’s a deluxe type figure with both body and walker)
Rat King

Honestly, I’d love it if they switched out Genghis for a real curveball like Ninjara. First because I want her, second because I’d love to see the online reaction (plus the combo of brand new figure and an uber deluxe Krang set would take away from the inevitable “ugh Turtle variants” complaints)

Maybe Usagi will be in wave 5 (we know he’s next year) but personally I’d put him in wave 6 with Sewer Samurai Leo as I think Usagi might help boost Leo sales a bit there as they’d display well together.



That’s great to hear! I do love that they real do seem to take on board stuff like this.
Genghis Frog would be a good opportunity to do a convention exclusive 4-pack of all the frogs in that style. Wouldn't cost them anything to do that and it'd be a nice little bonus item that isn't a must have if you're just trying to collect only the vintage line reduxes.
Macaquerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 02:45 PM   #1726
Otter
Hench Mutant
 
Otter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Australia
Posts: 314
Brian has said that other versions of Turtles characters, beyond the original toyline, are available to Super7 to produce. What if wave 4 uses this opportunity to continue to anchor each wave with a turtle... say Archie Comics?

I'd be pretty excited for that, assuming they keep doing figures base on the toys as well. I definitely want Usagi to reflect that aesthetic.
Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 03:43 PM   #1727
mikey see
Hench Mutant
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 399
I might be in the minority but I don't want any characters/styles that weren't in the Playmates line. If they started adding an Archie/2k3/whatever character per wave I'd be pretty disappointed. IMO it would be best to save those for later in the line once they've taken care of all the vintage heavy hitters, similar to how MOTUC was handled. Or they could have a second line running along side this one (don't see that happening).
mikey see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 03:56 PM   #1728
mikey0
Mad Scientist
 
mikey0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey see View Post
I might be in the minority but I don't want any characters/styles that weren't in the Playmates line. If they started adding an Archie/2k3/whatever character per wave I'd be pretty disappointed. IMO it would be best to save those for later in the line once they've taken care of all the vintage heavy hitters, similar to how MOTUC was handled. Or they could have a second line running along side this one (don't see that happening).
I’m in that minority too. The IDW/Archie/Image characters should come after all of the Playmates characters, but I doubt S7 will handle things that way. There should be a spinoff line for the characters from other universes, because they could lose the crowd that likes TMNT Ultimates for the nostalgia factor.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 04:24 PM   #1729
italianice388
Hench Mutant
 
italianice388's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: NEW YORK
Posts: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey see View Post
I might be in the minority but I don't want any characters/styles that weren't in the Playmates line. If they started adding an Archie/2k3/whatever character per wave I'd be pretty disappointed. IMO it would be best to save those for later in the line once they've taken care of all the vintage heavy hitters, similar to how MOTUC was handled. Or they could have a second line running along side this one (don't see that happening).
i also agree. let's get all the one-off mutants from playmates first. and like you said, if there's a need for an archie line, which I'd personally love, make it separate. the releases for the playmates/ultimates line are too far apart anyway
italianice388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 04:27 PM   #1730
Macaquerie
Mouser
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey see View Post
I might be in the minority but I don't want any characters/styles that weren't in the Playmates line. If they started adding an Archie/2k3/whatever character per wave I'd be pretty disappointed. IMO it would be best to save those for later in the line once they've taken care of all the vintage heavy hitters, similar to how MOTUC was handled. Or they could have a second line running along side this one (don't see that happening).
MOTUC only lasted as long as it did because they held back a lot of the more popular figures in favor of pushing out as many odd prototypes and concept characters as they could. Yeah everybody hated it at the time and cursed Toyguru's name, but if they had just rushed to complete the vintage line as quickly as possible like everyone wanted, we would probably never have gotten anything from POP/NA/Filmation at all, never mind the weird one-offs. Once Super 7 took over MOTUC and started focusing on doing all the popular characters again the line fizzled out pretty quickly.

Of course, now that everyone has seen that whole "hold back the popular stuff to force people to buy obscure figures" tactic in action with MOTUC, it probably won't work well with TMNT even if Super 7 were to try it. However, it does seem like just in the first four waves you have pretty much all of the characters that people would want if they just care about the main cast, there aren't a whole lot of other figures that they could use to anchor future waves. I doubt that people will be all that psyched to start getting turtle variants in wave 5 already.
Macaquerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 06:32 PM   #1731
King Kahn
Hench Mutant
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Nashville TN
Posts: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
Beat me to the punch.

Also, I don't think Usagi is a "nightmare license". He appeared in multiple Playmates lines, the Nick cartoon, IDW's game... I think it's only a matter of time until he shows up in NECA's line.

Stan is cool like that. He wants fans to be able to access Usagi.
Yeah. Usagi is prob the easiest part of the license. You just have to talk to Stan who is usually always up getting more usagi out to people.
King Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 06:47 PM   #1732
Chris
Mad Scientist
 
Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: UK
Posts: 1,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
Brian has said that other versions of Turtles characters, beyond the original toyline, are available to Super7 to produce. What if wave 4 uses this opportunity to continue to anchor each wave with a turtle... say Archie Comics?

I'd be pretty excited for that, assuming they keep doing figures base on the toys as well. I definitely want Usagi to reflect that aesthetic.
I imagine anything they do will be through that vintage Playmates filter even if it’s a character who wasn’t part of the original line. So straight up, comic accurate Archie TMNT Adventures basic Turtles seems more like something we’d have to hope NECA get to one day, but a set of variant looks, like Archie’s future Turtles, done in vintage/Ultimates style seems like a reasonable expectation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey see View Post
I might be in the minority but I don't want any characters/styles that weren't in the Playmates line. If they started adding an Archie/2k3/whatever character per wave I'd be pretty disappointed. IMO it would be best to save those for later in the line once they've taken care of all the vintage heavy hitters, similar to how MOTUC was handled. Or they could have a second line running along side this one (don't see that happening).
I can see them doing it purely because if they don’t add some new characters to the line they’re going to burn through the major vintage figures pretty quickly. Plus Playmates left gaps. They didn’t do all of the Frogs, they didn’t complete the Mutanimals, major characters of the vintage era like Ninjara or even Karai (though I feel she became more important after the vintage era) didn’t get a figure. As long as they’re done in vintage style I’d be happy to see them. And, honestly, I think adding some more big characters who weren’t in the vintage line might sell better than some of the actual vintage characters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
MOTUC only lasted as long as it did because they held back a lot of the more popular figures in favor of pushing out as many odd prototypes and concept characters as they could. Yeah everybody hated it at the time and cursed Toyguru's name, but if they had just rushed to complete the vintage line as quickly as possible like everyone wanted, we would probably never have gotten anything from POP/NA/Filmation at all, never mind the weird one-offs. Once Super 7 took over MOTUC and started focusing on doing all the popular characters again the line fizzled out pretty quickly.

Of course, now that everyone has seen that whole "hold back the popular stuff to force people to buy obscure figures" tactic in action with MOTUC, it probably won't work well with TMNT even if Super 7 were to try it. However, it does seem like just in the first four waves you have pretty much all of the characters that people would want if they just care about the main cast, there aren't a whole lot of other figures that they could use to anchor future waves. I doubt that people will be all that psyched to start getting turtle variants in wave 5 already.
This. Super 7 came out of the gates strong but now they know this is a line that can last it makes sense they won’t pack 4 heavy hitters in every wave. They won’t drag it out as long as Mattel did but it would make sense to spread (for example) Krang, Leatherhead, Rat King & Slash over 3-4 waves rather than have them all in 1 or 2.

Adding in some new figures for major characters that weren’t in the vintage line may actually help the line last long enough that we get characters like Sergeant Bananas and Halfcourt rather than fizzling out after the vintage heavy hitters are done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
What will waves 6 and 7 look like?
Keeping Genghis in wave 5 I’d go with something like:

Wave 6 - Leo the Sewer Samurai, Usagi, Wingnut & Screwloose, Leatherhead

Wave 7 - Mike the Sewer Surfer, Ninjara, Napoleon Bonafrog, Slash

Maybe switch out Ninjara with Traag (or more likely another hero) but I honestly think we’ll see our first “new” character in one of the next 3 waves they have planned.

Last edited by Chris; 10-09-2020 at 07:12 PM.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 07:10 PM   #1733
mikey see
Hench Mutant
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 399
So just to update the thread on my Super7 customer service saga: I've mentioned it a few times already but my Foot Soldier's elbow joint snapped immediately after I opened him. I contacted Super7 and over the course of a handful of messages was essentially told "tough luck, you didn't buy it from us" (I got it from BBTS). They never even apologized or acknowledged the problem.

WELL, this afternoon the same CS person reached out and informed me that while they won't normally offer replacements for figures not purchased through them they were going to make an exception for me this time, and they're sending me a loose Foot Soldier. So that's freaking fantastic, and makes me feel so much better about having the next three waves preordered. I can't stand it when a company doesn't stand behind its product and screws its customers and I was really getting those vibes from Super7. There's no way I'd have been able to skip on this line so this 180 makes me just love it all the more.

Thank you Rudy and Super7 for making this situation right!
mikey see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 08:37 PM   #1734
mikey0
Mad Scientist
 
mikey0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,337
Teemu, does Chris’s lineups sound right for waves 6 and 7?
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 02:54 PM   #1735
italianice388
Hench Mutant
 
italianice388's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: NEW YORK
Posts: 335
i have a MIGHTY need
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s649008395989639175_p2934_i16_w470.jpg (18.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg fda32f61d52b369b68963a06d3d42a10.jpg (96.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4089.2.jpg (98.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1417.1.jpg (93.5 KB, 13 views)
italianice388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 02:57 PM   #1736
italianice388
Hench Mutant
 
italianice388's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: NEW YORK
Posts: 335
some more humble requests to the pantheon of the super7 divinities
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3745.3.jpg (96.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 3f13db343273d6f168dc5bd9fbb26a43.jpg (97.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1450.6.jpg (97.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg tmnttriceraton.jpg (95.5 KB, 12 views)
italianice388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 02:59 PM   #1737
italianice388
Hench Mutant
 
italianice388's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: NEW YORK
Posts: 335
perhaps one final offering for good luck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2020-10-10 12_57_10-1572×2048_ IMG_1127_2.webp.jpg (19.4 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5281.3.jpg (98.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5111.4.jpg (99.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg wHothead.jpg (49.1 KB, 13 views)
italianice388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 04:36 PM   #1738
Newton Gimmick
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 1,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
MOTUC only lasted as long as it did because they held back a lot of the more popular figures in favor of pushing out as many odd prototypes and concept characters as they could. Yeah everybody hated it at the time and cursed Toyguru's name, but if they had just rushed to complete the vintage line as quickly as possible like everyone wanted, we would probably never have gotten anything from POP/NA/Filmation at all, never mind the weird one-offs. Once Super 7 took over MOTUC and started focusing on doing all the popular characters again the line fizzled out pretty quickly.
I feel like this needs that Lex Luthor WRONG gif, but that might come off as me attacking you. Honestly, I just feel like your heart is in the right place, but this is a bad take IMO.

MOTUC forced collectors to subscribe to 12-15 figures a year, often over half they didn't want, to get the handful of MOTU figures they DID want. Would we never have gotten those obscure POP characters otherwise? Maybe, maybe not. The truth is we'll never entirely know, because of how the model was set up. What we do know is that a lot of people bailed on that line because they couldn't get the popular characters they wanted, without a ton of supporting characters that many fans were like "who dis" over and over.

Likewise, to say that Super7's MOTUC line fizzled out, is just not true. First, all the popular characters had already been done. So there really wasn't any top tier guys left for S7 to do. They did some re-releases that sold really well. By all accounts their later characters sold just fine and the line WAS continuing until Mattel brought MOTU back. So it didn't fizzle out by any stretch of the imagination.

Causation does not equal correlation.
__________________


Newton Gimmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 05:20 PM   #1739
italianice388
Hench Mutant
 
italianice388's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: NEW YORK
Posts: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newton Gimmick View Post
I feel like this needs that Lex Luthor WRONG gif, but that might come off as me attacking you. Honestly, I just feel like your heart is in the right place, but this is a bad take IMO.

MOTUC forced collectors to subscribe to 12-15 figures a year, often over half they didn't want, to get the handful of MOTU figures they DID want. Would we never have gotten those obscure POP characters otherwise? Maybe, maybe not. The truth is we'll never entirely know, because of how the model was set up. What we do know is that a lot of people bailed on that line because they couldn't get the popular characters they wanted, without a ton of supporting characters that many fans were like "who dis" over and over.

Likewise, to say that Super7's MOTUC line fizzled out, is just not true. First, all the popular characters had already been done. So there really wasn't any top tier guys left for S7 to do. They did some re-releases that sold really well. By all accounts their later characters sold just fine and the line WAS continuing until Mattel brought MOTU back. So it didn't fizzle out by any stretch of the imagination.

Causation does not equal correlation.
that's promising. and, with as big as MOTU is, TMNT, I imagine, is way bigger even. i really do hope this line (tmnt ultimates) is comprehensive
italianice388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 02:24 AM   #1740
Newton Gimmick
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 1,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianice388 View Post
that's promising. and, with as big as MOTU is, TMNT, I imagine, is way bigger even. i really do hope this line (tmnt ultimates) is comprehensive
S7 already said that the TMNT figures pre-orders were faaaaaar more numerous than their MOTUC line. That was before anyone had any figures in hand and they had good reviews. I suspect this line is safe for a while and will continue to do very good for S7.

I think the other thing that S7 has for them, is that even the obscure TMNT figures are generally cool. Sandstorm just looks cooler, even if he has virtually no real history, than say some random POP or New Adventures He-Man character. I think it bodes well even if S7 does do some deep dives.
__________________


Newton Gimmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.