The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 01-04-2019, 01:32 PM   #21
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
In FW: The Turtles not using their weapons much despite being ninjas: I'm not sure if this is the series fault per se or due to backlash from the media and parents back in the day.
To be fair, the syndicated show and Saturday morning cartoon were 30 minute toy commercials most of the time. The intent of the first mini-series (best episodes of the program) was to sell the first wave of basic action figures and accessories in the year after it aired.

I actually have a cousin who wanted to see the allies and adversaries of the Turtles introduced from season 2 to 5 to use their weapons more. Imagine Baxter Stockman using the anti-turtle swatter in the weekday cartoon. That would have been something to see.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 01:40 PM   #22
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

How about the bad guys in the Fred Wolf series having their rayguns so weakly loaded that Leonardo could use his swords to reflect the laser rays? (I think they broke in a few episodes being hit, but not often). I think even Donatello used his bo stick for that at least once or twice.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 02:13 PM   #23
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Honestly, even deep into IDW, Leo being able to cut through metal like butter with his swords is a tough pill to swallow. Especially in the Krang fights. (In that same scenario, Raph being able to puncture the face and glass shield).

That's not how swords work. That's not even a little bit how swords work. That armor's metal must be pretty sh*t if it's that easy to cut apart, and it's a wonder that Krang wasn't easily defeated a long time ago if the metal is that fragile.

(Trib being able to blow a whole arm off with a heavy gun was more reasonable...and more bad@$$)

Last edited by Utrommaniac; 01-04-2019 at 02:23 PM.
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 06:21 PM   #24
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
I actually have a cousin who wanted to see the allies and adversaries of the Turtles introduced from season 2 to 5 to use their weapons more. Imagine Baxter Stockman using the anti-turtle swatter in the weekday cartoon. That would have been something to see.
I would have loved to see April O'Neil pull out that gun that was concealed within her camcorder. She would have been abducted less often. (It came with her action figure.)

Heck, Krang could have had a total victory if he used that Brain Drain Gun that came with the toy version of his Bubble Walker. Even Rocksteady might have been more useful if he used his knife more. (That also came with the toy.) Even Bebop could have used his trash-can shield more often.

But, you know how people (see: parents) can get whenever weapons are used in cartoons..
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 07:08 PM   #25
Dejablue
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
Honestly, even deep into IDW, Leo being able to cut through metal like butter with his swords is a tough pill to swallow. Especially in the Krang fights. (In that same scenario, Raph being able to puncture the face and glass shield).

That's not how swords work. That's not even a little bit how swords work. That armor's metal must be pretty sh*t if it's that easy to cut apart, and it's a wonder that Krang wasn't easily defeated a long time ago if the metal is that fragile.

(Trib being able to blow a whole arm off with a heavy gun was more reasonable...and more bad@$$)

Yeah. I mean this isn't QUITE as bad as stormtrooper effect but it's close. Something that happens a lot in fiction is, the more bullets are flying on screen, the less likely anyone will actually get hit.

And Swords can cut through basically anything unless the plot specifically says they can't. These are things only a few people will complain about tho. I would appreciate it more if there was a storyline where the turtles got weapon upgrades. They've already been to space, why not have a story where they forged weapons made out of rare ultra strong alien metal. Then everything they face on earth getting cut like butter would make sense.

But as it is, most readers will just go "omg rule of kewl XD"

^^^^
SHELLHEADS Inc.- A TMNT Discord!
Dejablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 11:47 AM   #26
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

The original cartoon is so guilty of that stuff. I wouldn't really say I feel like it insults anyone's intelligence with it, but it's one of the things that makes me laugh because there is so much of it and looking back there is a lot that is just so unintentionally funny. (And I got the DVD set for Christmas so I'm just now giving the whole thing a fresh rewatch.)

And in that series it's not even so much that a cartoon sword can slice right through steel with ease, but that there are other moments when he tries it with other materials that should be FAR easier to cut and instead he's hacking away at it.

Likewise, one I was laughing at last night, is Shredder throwing a regular little ninja star at them, it hits a bookcase and the whole thing explodes. I will never understand how non-explosive things explode in their world. Same with Donnie whacking a piece of machinery with his bo just once and the whole thing is explodes. Things are so easily destroyed. Maybe metal is just a very weak, volatile material in their universe... lol
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 05:42 PM   #27
Overlord

Characters mutating changing clothes (Fred Wolf)
Old 01-05-2019, 06:15 PM   #28
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Speaking of the things I just said, while reading further, and looking at Splinter, Shredder, and Karai all refer to the turtles as "uncoordinated" and "lacking focus" in combat...just how were they able to fight Krang and the Rock Soldiers as closely as they did? I don't think their first encounter with literal aliens should have gone as well as it did if their skills are that bad according to the masters.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:55 PM   #29
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Turtles Forever
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 03:42 AM   #30
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Turtles Forever
Do you mean those stupid mutants who were seen on the Fred Wolf Earth, and the turtles saving April O'Neil?
Old 01-06-2019, 05:30 AM   #31
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Turtles Forever
Again with this? Making fun of a bad cartoon you have nostalgia for isn't the same as insulting your intelligence.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 06:11 AM   #32
Overlord

All this talking of 2-D Earth, 3-D Earth in Transdimensional Turtles, and the Mirage Earth in Turtles Forever and Transdimensional Turtles being like a comic. Just like the 4 Kids series, they are all meant to represent the real world.

Last edited by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan; 01-06-2019 at 06:19 AM.
Old 01-06-2019, 06:35 AM   #33
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

When Playmates made the "Toon" Classics figures
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 06:42 AM   #34
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
Why? Because many of the figures didn't look like in the cartoon?
Old 01-07-2019, 11:49 AM   #35
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:

I think the toy makers at Playmates were feeling a little too nostalgic for Looney Tunes like parents in the 90s because of Mel Blanc’s passing, the 50th anniversary of Bugs Bunny and the popularity of the Warner Brothers catalog back then. Toon Raph and Leo are scarier than Breakfightin’ Raphael. In case you can’t tell, I’m in the camp of people that is against variants in action figure lines. I can tolerate some, but sublines of them I loathe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Well, in defense of Playmates, twenty seven years ago, technology was not as advance as it is right now. The 2017 NECA San Diego Comic Con exclusives were what children of the 90s wanted then, but the likenesses would not have been easy to achieve in those days. 1987 Fred Wolf cartoon accurate turtles, villains, and side characters would not have fit well into the 1988 original toyline at all. The toon turtles did not either.

Last edited by mikey0; 01-07-2019 at 12:01 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:56 PM   #36
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
All of them don't look cartoon accurate nor like the 1988 action figures. The closest is the Turtles being more akin to the Retro art style while Bebop and Rocksteady are completely re-designed and what we saw of Shredder and Krang they where not accurate either.

The paint job was laughable as the minimal paint the figures had, Playmates managed to fumble it up with wonky eyes and Rocksteady's neck not painted. And the articulation scheme is terrible, a jumbled mess that shows that Playmates did not put care into where the articulation should go and why certain PoA works.

The whole Classics line was a cheap grab at the collectors marked without actually putting care into the product or bothering to make a good product. It was just a lazy tag-along on the "Classics" label that Mattel was doing with Masters of the Universe.

A proper Classics line should ahve been either screen accurate like NECA's 8-pack set or a modern update to the 1988 figures like Mattel did with MOTUC, we got neither, we got junk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
I think the toy makers at Playmates were feeling a little too nostalgic for Looney Tunes like parents in the 90s because of Mel Blanc’s passing, the 50th anniversary of Bugs Bunny and the popularity of the Warner Brothers catalog back then..
Not sure what this have anything to do with the Classics line...
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 01:41 PM   #37
Overlord

Bazooka

Nickelodeon Rocksteady destroying the Fred Wolf Technodrome with one single bazooka shot in the 2017 crossovers.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:56 PM   #38
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Nickelodeon Rocksteady destroying the Fred Wolf Technodrome with one single bazooka shot in the 2017 crossovers.
To be fair, it doesn't show the technodrome getting outright destroyed, and I don't think it would be destroyed considering that it has survived much worse.

I like to believe that the turtles returned it back to Dimension X without the villains, and that led into season 8 of the Original Toon.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 04:40 PM   #39
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Not sure what this have anything to do with the Classics line...
The zany cartoon tropes from Looney Tunes and several Hanna-Barbera programs were mechanisms used for the Toon Turtles sub-wave from the original Playmates line that was first sold in the ‘92 to ‘93 winter season.
Old 01-07-2019, 04:53 PM   #40
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
To be fair, it doesn't show the technodrome getting outright destroyed, and I don't think it would be destroyed considering that it has survived much worse.

I like to believe that the turtles returned it back to Dimension X without the villains, and that led into season 8 of the Original Toon.
But if that's the case, at least Get Shredder must have taken place first.

Order:

1). Shredder Trimumphant (the Technodrome ends up in Dimension X)

2.) Get Shredder

3). 2017 crossovers

4). Wrath of the Rat King (2017 crossovers explain how the Technodrome ends up in a black hole)

4). Rest of season 8

Last edited by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan; 02-03-2019 at 02:30 AM.