The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 06-06-2018, 10:38 PM   #1
Turnstone
Stone Warrior

NECA Dioramas - Customs or Future Releases

I opted not to get the diorama set and just got the four turtles set only today. I was thinking though. It’s a shame they didn’t go for a better option diorama wise.

It would’ve been cooler, at least for me, if they had just done a more extensive rooftop diorama only without the building.

A farmhouse facade background would’ve been cool as well as having a diorama of April‘s antique store with room to put Raph on the top fighting the foot. I’m also disappointed to see that a sewer den diorama wasn’t utilized.

Anyone else have any thoughts on any custom dioramas or possible future NECA releases involving dioramas for these figs? I thought maybe the dioramas deserved their own thread.
Turnstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 01:25 AM   #2
EddieNES
Stone Warrior

I always loved the Subway lair from the second movie.

Junkyard would be sweet for “A little too Raph.”

But yes, Farmhouse would be awesome.
EddieNES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 01:51 AM   #3
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

I highly doubt we're gonna see that kind of brand personalized dioramas from NECA when it comes to TMNT, the street dio is versatile among their brands and the SDCC dio set is just a early release of the street diorama they plan on releasing for retail later.

If the retail dio does well, we might get more, like a spaceship interior for Aliens, Predator and Turtles in space, or a barn for Aliens, Friday 13 and Turtles, or a sewer for Aliens, Friday 13, Predator and Turtles, or a room that looks like a boiler room for Freddy.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 05:36 AM   #4
DonnieLaForge
Stone Warrior

What CandyKappa said...

The only reason this building tooling got made was that the building is generic enough to appeal to basically every collector of every 5-7" figure line ever. That, and it is made from large runs on a minimal set of molds.

Even if it sells well, then the next building will be equally multipurpose...

Which is why I pounced on this paint variant as it actually *is* turtle specific while still being generic enough to ignore that part for other lines, and it is made from large runs on a minimal set of molds.

I'm very glad they were able to do it for the surprisingly low price of $125!

I don't know that they could make other dio ideas that affordable. A spaceship corridor, perhaps...anything with repeating panels to allow the same mold to mass produce a large number of identical wall/floor panels... but if you start adding 1-per-dio sculpt pieces like a computer console or something the price will go up faster...just look at the price of things like the AVP temple pillar.
DonnieLaForge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 06:07 AM   #5
D Piddy 1982
Stone Warrior

I think one that would be simple to make...or more simple or generic than any of the other suggestions is a subway, preferably the subway from the April / Foot / Raph confrontation.

White tiles, couple of pillars...

In fact now I think of it I vaguely remember seeing a custom dio of that?

" 'Hero Turtle' craze leads to duck deaths" BBC News 2001
D Piddy 1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 01:32 PM   #6
Turnstone
Stone Warrior

You’re probably right about making the generic dioramas so they can be used for multiple different figures. However, with the popularity that this line has received, you would think they would at least throw us one custom diorama from the film beyond the generic one offered. I don’t think the diorama that is being offered is worth the extra money. My theory is that those diorama sets will be on eBay for less than $100 after the rush of SDCC. I’m just happy I didn’t have to pay scalper prices for the actual figures. I had a dream last night that those that ordered on the first day received better quality figures than those in the latter days. Obviously that’s a joke but I think my brain is just really happy I snagged them on the first day.
Turnstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 03:46 PM   #7
inaheap
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Piddy 1982 View Post
I think one that would be simple to make...or more simple or generic than any of the other suggestions is a subway, preferably the subway from the April / Foot / Raph confrontation.

White tiles, couple of pillars...

In fact now I think of it I vaguely remember seeing a custom dio of that?
I think Extreme Sets had one like that.

We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing

When I became an adult I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.
inaheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 03:49 PM   #8
DonnieLaForge
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnstone View Post
My theory is that those diorama sets will be on eBay for less than $100 after the rush of SDCC.
You might be right but I'm not sure about that. These TMNT-movie-paint variant dios are allegedly limited to 2,000. That's a pretty low number. And the price is right so I foresee a lot of takers.
DonnieLaForge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 03:50 PM   #9
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Extreme-Sets subway is amazing looking, and they have a subway car piece as well.
Old 06-07-2018, 11:19 PM   #10
cloud
Stone Warrior

I think NECA wasn't thinking a more universal design that's also practical.
The straight forward building design means it's easy to fold apart for more compact packaging size.
And it provides multi tower to host more action figures. NECA claims it can probably hold 30 figures. We'll see.
cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 05:20 PM   #11
OrokuYoshiFilms
Stone Warrior

Maybe:

A pier diorama (SOTO/Friday the 13th)
A nightclub diorama (SOTO)
An alleyway diorama

...I'm really digging the farmhouse idea mentioned earlier for scenes from the first movie and the other horror figures from NECA. Turnstone also mentioned an apartment for April. I've been looking at the Lori dollhouse for that. It's not perfect but I think it'll work.

http://modernminihouses.blogspot.com...ve-by.html?m=1
OrokuYoshiFilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 04:51 AM   #12
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

the Lori dollhouse looks pretty cool, I've seen some pictures where it's been made into Tony Stark's home
Old 06-12-2018, 11:00 AM   #13
eastlos217
Hench Mutant

Quote:
I opted not to get the diorama set and just got the four turtles set only today. I was thinking though. It’s a shame they didn’t go for a better option diorama wise.

It would’ve been cooler, at least for me, if they had just done a more extensive rooftop diorama only without the building.

A farmhouse facade background would’ve been cool as well as having a diorama of April‘s antique store with room to put Raph on the top fighting the foot. I’m also disappointed to see that a sewer den diorama wasn’t utilized.

Anyone else have any thoughts on any custom dioramas or possible future NECA releases involving dioramas for these figs? I thought maybe the dioramas deserved their own thread.

yes i agree. the more focused roof top diorama would have been so much better. and i think with better details on the roof top.
eastlos217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:15 AM   #14
rh608
Thug

Quote:

I got the diorama combo set on Day 3 of the Pre-Sale because it was still available when the turtles by themselves were sold out. I will be trying to trade or sell that diorama as I am not interested in it and don't have room nor need it. It would have been boss if it were a replica of the final rooftop battle scene. With the backdrop they've been using in the promo photos they take. I would have even liked to see a more movie accurate news studio diorama.

But oh, well. It serves a purpose and I'm sure many will love it.
rh608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 04:32 PM   #15
Wes
Mad Scientist

I will be shocked if Shredder (when he drops) isn't packaged with a rooftop scene diorama of sorts. I imagine it would include part of the side of the building for when Splinter flips him over the ledge.

* Scary-Crayon * Wesoteric * Chew your gum properly, ok?

Aaand... Technodrome buy/sell/trade thread here!
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 09:55 AM   #16
Antnee13420
Random Punk

Am I the only one who finds it hilarious that neca is always claiming they are as screen accurate as possible but they put the wrong foot logo on the dio. The one on the dio is from the cartoon
Antnee13420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 10:32 AM   #17
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

The only accurate with the diorama is the WTRL3 logo, it isn't actually based of the building they used in the movie.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:53 PM   #18
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antnee13420 View Post
Am I the only one who finds it hilarious that neca is always claiming they are as screen accurate as possible but they put the wrong foot logo on the dio. The one on the dio is from the cartoon
It's literally just a generic city set with some turtle flair. They never said it was intended to be 'screen accurate', in fact, they outright said it was designed with the express purpose of being fit for any toyline in scale, as they have future plans of a re-release that lacks any TMNT branding. As for the Foot symbol, that's a solid observation, but I'd assume they want it to work with any/all TMNT figures they've released previously, & they've done 2 sets of Fred Wolf inspired turtles, majority vote & all that. That said, it would be cool to see someone customize one of these with 1990 bill postings, Sid Vicious imagery, graffiti, the dragon dogi, etc. That's what I'd do!

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote