The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 09-30-2014, 07:38 PM   #2061
pandaderek
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
At no point did I say people should adhere to my point of view or change the way they govern their seed.
So, you're just voicing something that upsets you, while not implying that the thing that upsets your shouldn't change, so it won't upset you, anymore? Usually, the implication of something that upsets someone is because they want something done about it, so they won't be upset about it. But, if I'm wrong in thinking so, and you're content with being upset about it and, just, voicing your anger, then I'm sorry.
pandaderek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:11 PM   #2062
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Chill with the commas, man.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:16 PM   #2063
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaderek View Post
So, you're just voicing something that upsets you, while not implying that the thing that upsets your shouldn't change, so it won't upset you, anymore? Usually, the implication of something that upsets someone is because they want something done about it, so they won't be upset about it. But, if I'm wrong in thinking so, and you're content with being upset about it and, just, voicing your anger, then I'm sorry.
Unlike most people, I am fully aware that the world does not revolve around me.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:43 PM   #2064
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Unlike most people, I am fully aware that the world does not revolve around me.
But I'm sure they know that too as they talk about their kids, right? So wouldn't that mean their lives revolve around their kids, as it should?
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:49 PM   #2065
Metalwolf
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaderek View Post
Well, having a child is very life-changing. Priorities change and the child, always, comes first. A lot of parents don't discipline their children, often, because they're used to the noise and it's as if their child's annoyance doesn't exist. Also, that's one of the things parent have to do, is to not give into their child's ranting...once the child feels (s)he can get people's attention with screaming, they will do it, often. My parents never put up with my **** and, always, took me out of public sight to discipline me (but, that's not the, only, way to raise kids...that's, just, and aggressive approach, there are passive ways that are equally effective...it, just, depends on the child).
It's one thing to ensure that you have to make sure that it's fed and kept safe, heck, that's to be expected. It's when they get so far up their children's butts and think they alone are all that matters is when they become obnoxious and insufferable and forget most of their lessons in civility, compassion and humanity. That's when you see these parents considering their child so much a priority in their lives, that they'll berate and threaten the teacher who dare gives their child a bad mark. Or parents who insist on bringing baby to a bar because they love it so much, instead of thinking about others too and either getting a babysitter or hell, staying the eff home. Heck, I've even known of parents dining in an establishment considering a suddenly messy diaper such an emergency that they won't wait to get out to the car or go into the bathroom to change it, but will do it right on the dining table, and in front of other patrons trying to eat! This type of prioritizing often goes hand in hand with crappy parenting, and is the type I mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindturtle02 View Post
Oh yes, especially if the person is a teacher or day care worker. Never mind the fact that they're with the kids seven or eight hours a day most of the time. The parents that negotiate usually do that reward system thing too, and you've got kids that expect gifts or whatnot for simply being nice to their peers these days. Take one of the schools around here, for instance. There was a teacher who warned a kid not to bully other classmates or he'd be sent to the office. He goes,"Okay, so what are ya gonna give me if I don't." Principle was out in the hall, so he talked with the kid about there being a difference between school and mama's house. Some teachers follow through with the whole consequences bit, whereas others let them off just like that. She followed through the very next time he pulled that verbal insult/physical intimidation crap on a student and he straightened up. At the end of the year, the kid said he really liked her because she wasn't a pushover.
Definitely. And it isn't like the person didn't have training in how to deal with children, or what to do in an emergency. Often they have to deal with multiple children and their needs all at once, and almost every year it changes and they have to learn a whole new group over again.

Oh yeah, the whole 'rewards' thing is bad practice, even in many animals where a reward for doing something might not always be practical or even possible. I think a lot of it is just simply bad parenting, and even though a lot of parents looove to say 'It's so hard raising a kid" most of them have already painted themselves into a corner by previously reinforcing bad practices. What's sad is that many children want boundaries and rules as it helps them feel secure, but the parents, thinking they have to be their child's 'friend, often don't give it to them.
Metalwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 12:57 AM   #2066
Dawnatello Turtle Chick
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalwolf View Post
It's one thing to ensure that you have to make sure that it's fed and kept safe, heck, that's to be expected. It's when they get so far up their children's butts and think they alone are all that matters is when they become obnoxious and insufferable and forget most of their lessons in civility, compassion and humanity. That's when you see these parents considering their child so much a priority in their lives, that they'll berate and threaten the teacher who dare gives their child a bad mark. Or parents who insist on bringing baby to a bar because they love it so much, instead of thinking about others too and either getting a babysitter or hell, staying the eff home. Heck, I've even known of parents dining in an establishment considering a suddenly messy diaper such an emergency that they won't wait to get out to the car or go into the bathroom to change it, but will do it right on the dining table, and in front of other patrons trying to eat! This type of prioritizing often goes hand in hand with crappy parenting, and is the type I mean.

Definitely. And it isn't like the person didn't have training in how to deal with children, or what to do in an emergency. Often they have to deal with multiple children and their needs all at once, and almost every year it changes and they have to learn a whole new group over again.

Oh yeah, the whole 'rewards' thing is bad practice, even in many animals where a reward for doing something might not always be practical or even possible. I think a lot of it is just simply bad parenting, and even though a lot of parents looove to say 'It's so hard raising a kid" most of them have already painted themselves into a corner by previously reinforcing bad practices. What's sad is that many children want boundaries and rules as it helps them feel secure, but the parents, thinking they have to be their child's 'friend, often don't give it to them.
I get told by other parents all the time "Oh, your son is so polite" or "He acts so responsible" and "I wish my kid would clean up his own mess" but usually they are referring to their 8 year old or even teenager. I say thank you for the compliment but in my head I'm thinking, well, you should have started sooner! From the time my son could walk I made him clean up his juice spills- my hand over his hand- it was a pain in the butt and took 3 times longer than me just doing it, but that's how kids learn. Now he enjoys helping- he loves being given the opportunity to be responsible like the adults.

I get so sick of those kids that you can tell are parented by bribers... I always welcome kids at my flea market booth (many vendors don't like them, but I know I loved it when adults treated me with respect as a kid, so I give kids that opportunity) and you can always tell who's got a briber for a parent. They offer to help and then hint that they want this specific toy or something for "payment". They learn really quick that I don't do that- you ask for it, you get nothing. You help out of the goodness of your heart, every once in a great while, I might give something out. Kids absolutely respect adults that give clear boundaries and follow through on promises & consequences. I never have a problem with rowdy kids at my booth either. It took me walking a kid or two back to their parent's booth by the shirt collar. I said, look when I say that's enough- calm down, I mean it. You are done for today, but you can come back tomorrow & we're still friends. I've got a core group of kids at several different flea markets that even watch out for me and have prevented theft for me.

There is a very clear difference between if you act "good" you get ice cream (if you do what is expected, you get rewarded) and if you do extra work (chores, etc) you can earn additional privileges. If you have to bribe your kid to NOT pitch a fit in public, you're doing something wrong. Obviously this doesn't necessarily translate to kids with severe Autism or severe behavioral conditions. Our son pitched a fit in Wal-Mart once... I sat in the car with him for 45 minutes while my husband finished shopping. That's all it took, fits don't get you what you want. Parenting is hard & time consuming- is it any wonder that our Facebook-Smart-Phone obsessed world doesn't seem to be all that great at it?!? Maybe if it was a Facebook game- Parentville.... I weep for future generations.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:45 AM   #2067
blindturtle02
Foot Elite

I can't get back to sleep because I got some random person who dialed the wrong number asking some guy named Toby to get up because he's supposed to be making doughnuts. Apparently, Toby the doughnut maker kept hanging up on him and saying he needed a few more minutes. Whoever Toby is, I don't envy him having to get up before 4 in the morning. I do envy this Toby since he gets to go make doughnuts at this hour. Haven't had those in ages and craving a couple chocolate covered. Thanks, doughnut guy.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:21 AM   #2068
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Oh, I hate those wrong number people, too, though I always do my best to be polite and tell them they have the wrong number. A couple of times it's been this foreign guy who asks for a different name, and I just say, "Sorry, you have the wrong number." But it can get annoying, and if that happened to me, I'd get mad.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 03:45 PM   #2069
Metalwolf
Mad Scientist

Thank you DTC for raising your son up right!

"Parenting is hard & time consuming- is it any wonder that our Facebook-Smart-Phone obsessed world doesn't seem to be all that great at it?!? Maybe if it was a Facebook game- Parentville.... I weep for future generations."

I 1000% agree. I think a lot of it comes down to the instant-gratification culture that has sprung up, putting time and effort into something is no longer attractive if you are used to having something pop up instantly on a screen. Even group-orientated species of animals discipline their offspring, as it's needed to teach them social boundaries and allow them to moderate their behavior in a group. Without this 'teaching,' the babies risk becoming social outcasts and having their bad behavior driving the other animals up a wall. (Thus they won't tolerate it, and the outcast is often attacked or avoided.) The sucky parents are already turning them into future outcasts, because the greater group of humanity won't tolerate them for long.
Metalwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 04:50 PM   #2070
blindturtle02
Foot Elite

I agree with Metalwolf. Dawnatello knows how it's done. Seems like all of the dromer parents do.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:05 PM   #2071
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Yep, totally agree with this. Parents just don't know how to discipline their kids and the kids think that because they can get away with things at home, they can get away with them at school, too. It's sad to see parents doing things like this, but that's the way society works now.

Old 10-01-2014, 06:27 PM   #2072
Powder
So tired of this place

My local comic book store owner. The guy runs the place by himself, for the most part, so I understand he's got every right to do things on his own terms. But he kinda takes advantage of that, has weird charges sometimes, & is constantly changing the hours. It's getting to be quite a nuisance. As it is, I have to go like 15 miles to buy my stuff, & I can't very often get out of the house as I don't drive & rely on someone with ailing health to shuffle me around. I made my family put off other trips so we could tack my comic stop onto their plans today, only to wake up to an email saying he decided to close early. So I wasted the last 2 days putting it off, inconveniencing my fam, got up early, all for nothing. To make matters worse, I checked Facebook before I left to run errands, only to see the artist himself, Santolouco, posting spoilers of today's new issue of TMNT. WTF man!? The same kinda thing happened months back with the 30th anniversary book they put out, half of the guys contributing to it posted their pin-ups early! I had nearly all of the non-story contents spoiled for me, in that case. IDW needs to put a leash on these guys. At least wait a week after the book is out to post excerpts from it, yo!

Old 10-01-2014, 10:54 PM   #2073
Dawnatello Turtle Chick
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalwolf View Post
Thank you DTC for raising your son up right!

"Parenting is hard & time consuming- is it any wonder that our Facebook-Smart-Phone obsessed world doesn't seem to be all that great at it?!? Maybe if it was a Facebook game- Parentville.... I weep for future generations."

I 1000% agree. I think a lot of it comes down to the instant-gratification culture that has sprung up, putting time and effort into something is no longer attractive if you are used to having something pop up instantly on a screen. Even group-orientated species of animals discipline their offspring, as it's needed to teach them social boundaries and allow them to moderate their behavior in a group. Without this 'teaching,' the babies risk becoming social outcasts and having their bad behavior driving the other animals up a wall. (Thus they won't tolerate it, and the outcast is often attacked or avoided.) The sucky parents are already turning them into future outcasts, because the greater group of humanity won't tolerate them for long.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindturtle02 View Post
I agree with Metalwolf. Dawnatello knows how it's done. Seems like all of the dromer parents do.
Thanks guys... I wish everyone could possess common sense and work ethic. Those are some very hard to find things these days.

Quote:
My local comic book store owner. The guy runs the place by himself, for the most part, so I understand he's got every right to do things on his own terms. But he kinda takes advantage of that, has weird charges sometimes, & is constantly changing the hours. It's getting to be quite a nuisance. As it is, I have to go like 15 miles to buy my stuff, & I can't very often get out of the house as I don't drive & rely on someone with ailing health to shuffle me around. I made my family put off other trips so we could tack my comic stop onto their plans today, only to wake up to an email saying he decided to close early. So I wasted the last 2 days putting it off, inconveniencing my fam, got up early, all for nothing. To make matters worse, I checked Facebook before I left to run errands, only to see the artist himself, Santolouco, posting spoilers of today's new issue of TMNT. WTF man!? The same kinda thing happened months back with the 30th anniversary book they put out, half of the guys contributing to it posted their pin-ups early! I had nearly all of the non-story contents spoiled for me, in that case. IDW needs to put a leash on these guys. At least wait a week after the book is out to post excerpts from it, yo!
I know how you feel, but for me it's my subscription service. I live over 50 miles from the nearest comic shop so I have to subscribe online to get them shipped & my service has randomly decided to not ship me an upcoming issue and I don't know about it until it's too late & I'm scrambling around trying to make a comic shop run that's over an hour away & hoping I can find a place that still has the issue in-stock. Now they have taken to sending me issues in odd groupings- 2 issues of TMNT Adventures, 1 Ghostbusters, 1 Turtles in Time and NO regular TMNT issues or stuff like that... Frustrating. Now I just got an email saying that they are only shipping me 2 issues instead of 4 even though I have it marked to only ship if there are 4 or more items in my basket. So I'm going to pay almost as much in shipping as I am for the comics. Makes me mad- but it's such a pain to set up a new subscription service I haven't quite hit my limit on them screwing up... close though.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:48 AM   #2074
Icebot
Foot Elite

My computer is acting up.
Icebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 12:15 PM   #2075
blindturtle02
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebot View Post
My computer is acting up.
That's always a pain. Mine doesn't seem to like Firefox lately. Other than that, it's cool.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:18 PM   #2076
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Huh, that's weird, BT. I have Firefox on mine, and it seems to be okay. Much better than Chrome anyway.

The severe weather we're going to have is grinding my gears. It better pass tomorrow night so I can watch TMNT, or I'm going to be mad.

Old 10-02-2014, 04:36 PM   #2077
blindturtle02
Foot Elite

Well Bubbly, it might have something to do with my screen reading program. A new update is due out in Dec and the guys at Freedom Scientific are usually just a little behind when it comes to synching them up with Firefox. Works well with Internet Explorer, but I try not to use that one too much.

Wondering if we're going to get any of that severe weather. I can never sleep too well during storms and the like. If it's just gentle rain, I'm out like a light. Gotta love that white noise.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:59 PM   #2078
Powder
So tired of this place

A popular page on Facebook, run by a TMNT fan, is constantly sharing my art without giving credit. I always ask them to, but they outright ignore me & have the audacity to make posts about how it's so hard to find quality content & that people oughtta be thankful this schmuck has his resources. I dunno if there's anything to do about it given the TMNT aren't my intellectual property. Facebook makes it very hard to have copyright disputes.

And another thing, I paid extra so that something I ordered online would be here today, and it's f*cking not. I've been awake for a mere half hour & I'm already dying to hit somebody.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:31 PM   #2079
pennydreadful
trash

That sucks, Powder. You should definitely put the word out about this asshat. Either that or maybe just have to put a giant watermark across your future stuff, unfortunately. It sucks when people like that are disrespectful to artists.

Creator of the Technodrome After Dark Discussion Group. PM for an invite (must be over 18 - no exceptions).
pennydreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 04:37 AM   #2080
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

Adobe After Effects. Slow-ass rendering keeping me at work on Friday night.