The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 03-12-2019, 06:15 PM   #1
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

New "Doom" reboot, gender-swapped

http://www.darkhorizons.com/trailer-..._pwCIelPuZNa4g
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 06:23 PM   #2
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Bethesda the company that makes the current Doom games are distancing themselves from this movie.
https://www.pcgamer.com/doom-annihil...r-is-so-so-bad
Old 03-12-2019, 06:24 PM   #3
Prowler
Emperor

This is getting ridiculous at this point. What is Hollywood trying to achieve by remaking known movie franchises with women and black people instead of white men? It's like remakes and reboots are such a tiresome thing by now that they decided to gender-swap and race-swap characters in order to make those remakes or reboots stand out more from the originals. And we're supposed to like those changes, otherwise we're sexist or racist. Which is a moronic argument to make since there were already plenty of movies with black people and women in important roles and yet NO ONE complained. We liked those movies fine, because guess what? None of that was forced as an attempt to push an agenda. The actors in those movies deserved those roles and fit them nicely. Seriously, who the hell would ever complain about Carl Weathers in Rocky or Predator?! So where does this idea that "cis white men" are bothered by black people and women in movies per se come from?

Anyway, it's a movie adaptation of a video game, so I can't say I have high expectations of it. The Doom movie with The Rock was lousy and I doubt this one will be better, and if it will... that will say more about the other Doom movie than this one, most likely.

Last edited by Prowler; 03-12-2019 at 06:39 PM.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 06:26 PM   #4
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
This is getting ridiculous at this point. What is Hollywood trying to achieve by remaking known movie franchises with women and black people instead of white men? It's like remakes and reboots are such a tiresome thing by now that they decided to gender-swap and race-swap characters in order to make those remakes or reboots stand out more from the originals. And we're supposed to like those changes, otherwise we're sexist or racist. Which is a moronic argument to make since there were already plenty of movies with black people and women in important roles and yet NO ONE complained. We liked those movies fine, because guess what? None of that was forced as an attempt to push an agenda. The actors in those movies deserved those roles and fit them nicely. Seriously, who the hell would ever complain about Carl Weathers in Rocky or Predator?! So where does this idea come from that "cis white men" are bothered by black people and women in movies per se?

Anyway, it's a movie adaptation of a video game, so I can't say I have high expectations of it. The Doom movie with The Rock was lousy and I doubt this one will be better, and if it will... that will say more about the other Doom movie than this one, most likely.
This is also going straight to video. So its your typical straight to video low budget movies.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:27 PM   #5
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
This is also going straight to video. So its your typical straight to video low budget movies.
Well, I guess gender-swapping won't get them that much profit after all!
Old 03-12-2019, 06:28 PM   #6
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
This is getting ridiculous at this point. What is Hollywood trying to achieve by remaking known movie franchises with women and black people instead of white men?
It's weird. In something like this, direct to video even, it was never going to have widespread distribution or even appeal. That was never in the cards. They might as well have tried to make as close to a 1:1 game adaptation as possible. I'd adapt Doom 3, personally.

Quote:
I actually didn't mind the original Doom movie except for the whole part about, it's a movie about a game that's all about demons and hell... and it has the nerve to come to the table with neither of those things.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:36 PM   #7
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
It's weird. In something like this, direct to video even, it was never going to have widespread distribution or even appeal. That was never in the cards. They might as well have tried to make as close to a 1:1 game adaptation as possible. I'd adapt Doom 3, personally.

I actually didn't mind the original Doom movie except for the whole part about, it's a movie about a game that's all about demons and hell... and it has the nerve to come to the table with neither of those things.
Which makes the whole thing ever dumber. If they want to succeed at pushing their agenda then why are they making this in a movie that's going straight to video aka no one is gonna watch it? Good luck with that

Well, The Rock turning out to be the bad guy in the end was kinda interesting, I admit it.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:40 PM   #8
snake
Disgusting

LMAO OH NO NO NO

Spoiler:

Last edited by snake; 03-12-2019 at 11:25 PM.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 06:42 PM   #9
raph27
Mad Scientist

Gender debate aside, can we talk about how bad that trailer was? I thought it was a parody at first.
raph27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 07:58 PM   #10
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

At this point, it's becoming pretty clear that Hollywood execs don't really understand that "we want to see women/POC like this White Guy Movie" doesn't mean "we want to see this movie but with women/POC"...and then are bewildered when things don't work out.

"But...but girl power?????? We thought you wanted????"
Old 03-12-2019, 09:21 PM   #11
joe-eyeball
Hench Mutant

All of these gender swapped reboots are blatant half hearted attempts to appeal to SJW’s into believing women can do it too just as good as the boys! Maybe even better! Here’s an idea how about creating original content with strong female characters? Why bother with that? That would require effort. Especially when these lame reboots will fool most SJW’s anyhow!😂😂😂😂😂
joe-eyeball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:29 PM   #12
Xav
Foot Elite

Any Doom film without Alex Jones is destined to fail.
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 11:45 PM   #13
sdp
Winsider

Doom Guy is a girl? I dunno, the original movie took its own liberties so I guess its ok, is this a straight sequel to that or a reboot?

The original movie was only saved by that 7 min FPS scene near the end.

Sexy Rave & TMNT @ MiscRave.com
Twitter @ 0sdp
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 05:00 AM   #14
Skinrash
Thug

They are keeping the "invasion from hell" plot from the games, that is good to hear. But will we be seeing any of the iconic monsters from the games? Characters like the Cyberdemon and most others aside from the zombies would cost a lot to pull of convincingly. And if this direct-to-video, I assume they don't have a lot to work with.

Wouldn't be surprised if this ends up being a generic zombie film with just some names being the only things used from the game.

Last edited by Skinrash; 03-13-2019 at 05:40 AM.
Skinrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:21 AM   #15
Allio
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
I don't know why, but it almost feels like it reads as

"Nope, Nope, Nope! We are not getting into that cultural war of yours internet!"
Old 10-08-2019, 03:49 PM   #16
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Well... the imps look fairly legit, at least.

*edit: Also... eh, it's out! I double-checked and it does appear to be downloadable.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 10-08-2019 at 03:59 PM.
Old 10-08-2019, 04:06 PM   #17
IMJ
Stone Warrior

The original flick with the Rock carved out some unique and well done moments. They should've done everything in their power to make a sequel from that one. Silent Hill was the same - the first movie was truly terrific and featured some legit horror material in it. Then Silent Hill 2 came out and it was straight up 80's-era licensed garbage.

It's ashame when a franchise that was mildly entertaining does this. The Crow, Doom, Silent Hill, Mortal Kombat, etc....
Old 10-08-2019, 04:29 PM   #18
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
The original flick with the Rock carved out some unique and well done moments. They should've done everything in their power to make a sequel from that one. Silent Hill was the same - the first movie was truly terrific and featured some legit horror material in it. Then Silent Hill 2 came out and it was straight up 80's-era licensed garbage.

It's ashame when a franchise that was mildly entertaining does this. The Crow, Doom, Silent Hill, Mortal Kombat, etc....
I liked that DOOM movie for what it was but again... a thing that's supposed to be about demons and Hell has neither of those things? Pffft.

The first person sequence towards the end with the chainsaw was pretty cool.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:51 AM   #19
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I actually made it a point to watch this last night. Hah... hell, it's not bad at all! It's basically "Aliens" (space Marines wake up on a ship, arrive at a place, investigate a besieged location and things get crazy and they get whittled down little by little) with a relatively faithful take on Doom/Doom 3. Plenty of nods to the games and even some specific things/characters to Doom 3.

If you're a Doom fan I'd recommend it. I had a lot of fun with it.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 10-09-2019 at 11:44 AM.
Old 10-14-2019, 12:45 PM   #20
IMJ
Stone Warrior

This movie was like a freshman year college project for a film student. I have no idea what the intention of this thing originally was - Netflix, DVD or if for a moment they actually believed it would make theaters and make money.

Tags
the future is female