The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Rise of the TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 12-17-2018, 12:01 PM   #61
Xav
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Nah, my parents both thought the original TMNT cartoon was hilarious.

...They both smoked a looooooooot of pot, but, they were in their 40s and thoroughly thought it was a good show. So, there's that.

Then agaaaaain... they ALSO were huge Grateful Dead fans... which is like, the biggest determining factor of all time in whether or not you have terrible taste and nobody should acknowledge your opinions. So maybe they were just stupid and liked stupid things.

Yeah, no, that's what it was. Grateful Dead fandom is 100% inexcusable. You guys are right; rather than being an exception to a rule, my parents simply liked awful things.
I surprised you ended up as well adjusted as you did.
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 03:02 PM   #62
Leo656
The Franchise

Me too.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 08:44 AM   #63
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

I wouldn't say Rise is terrible - it's just so off base to my tastes to even form an honest critique.
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 09:41 PM   #64
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Have you guys rewatched any episodes so far?
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 06:11 AM   #65
Powder
So tired of this place

Most of them.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 09:24 AM   #66
Technogeek29
Mad Scientist

Mostly lurk as it is usually absurdly late when I am on for you guys so here goes...

1987: Yeah it's dumb cheesy and sometimes nonsensical (which is saying a lot given the title) But I still find it enjoyable and can watch a good portion of it with only the world touring episodes being the one's a I tend to skip.

2003: I grew up with this one and despite it's serious tone it's also cheesy and melodramatic but in a good way. I tend to like a lot of the fast forward episodes as well but haven't re-watched any episode of back to the sewers. This also made me seek out the mirage comics which I would spend the rest of my time until 2012 reading through.

2012: The version most current in most people's minds right now looking back I overall enjoyed this series and so does my niece and she has made me re-watched it at least by this point 5 times. Our favorite past time is to video chat and watch 3 episodes when we can.. My gripes with this series is it's tone whiplash at times and my overall disdain to Michelangelo in this version and the re-watches do not help.

2018: From little episodes I've seen I find myself laughing but I do not feel like re-watching any of it and don't make it a point to see every episode as they come out. I only now just caught up to every other dromer here. Overall opinion is the same as before it aired I don't really care for it.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:30 AM   #67
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80gmrp View Post
Pleasantly surprised to see someone who still likes 2012. Not to say it’s my own favorite series (I still prefer 2003), but I’m fully aware how some ROT fans are going as far as bashing 2012 simply because it’s no longer current.
Really? maybe they didn't like it to begin with? I know I haven't lost any love for it anyway

Edit: Regarding dropping the franchise, I suppose it depends how much of it you have been disappointed with, or for how long you been disappointed. If this is the only version people really don't like then maybe wait and see what comes next, what route they take after this? Course, people are free to think and feel what they do, just my own two cents there.

Last edited by newfan; 12-20-2018 at 10:50 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 10:56 AM   #68
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Maybe that’s the case for some of them, and it’s certainly the realistic way to look at it. I know others just jumped ship immediately, though.

Still, what really disturbs me about the newfound love for 2018 in order to bash 2012 is over who once was my favorite of the turtles: Donatello. 2012 at least had some traces of his slightly more humble origins, whereas many ROT Don fans love him because, from what I’ve seen, he’s a rude, egomaniacal psychopath, which half of said people even admit in their explanations.

Yeah, if this is what we should expect for the future of the franchise as a whole, then I think it might be wise for me to bow out, especially since so few are willing to discuss the classics...
So in part it's the fans also for you at this point?
I'm surprised to hear there a some people who would suddenly crap on a version they liked previously just cause they now like another, we can like more than one after all.

Well at least we have a number of varied fans on here so a lot (maybe not all) versions get some love even if it's not equally balanced.

Last edited by newfan; 12-20-2018 at 11:05 AM.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:05 PM   #69
Powder
So tired of this place

15 year old girls on Tumblr do not define our fandom. That is not the 'community' you're looking for, you were in the wrong place. The kind of fans you describe are not on this forum. Those are the younger crowd, they largely follow what's current & move on to the next cool thing, which is to be expected.

There's an entire section dedicated to the 2012 series here, feel free to start discussion there or anywhere else suited to the "classics". But coming here to bash the new show because you wanna get back at some overzealous kids on another site benefits nobody.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 02:27 PM   #70
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I'm curious of most if those bashing 2012 were into it when it was still current. That would be such catty middle school/high school behavior... Like backstabbers of a former friend who had to move away against their will.

Quote:
whereas many ROT Don fans love him because, from what I’ve seen, he’s a rude, egomaniacal psychopath, which half of said people even admit in their explanations.
That is kind of messed up and sad if they are attracted to him for those reasons.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 02:31 PM   #71
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Maybe this fandom (or many other for that matter) isn't for you if you can't handle the Tumblr side of it, especially if the fandom colors your view of the product instead of the product itself.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 03:06 PM   #72
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

"Obey your commands" JFC you're over dramatic, you're the one who seems to wanna "bow out" due to one side of the fandom
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 05:35 AM   #73
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

2012 was pretty close to ideal as far as a CGI TMNT show made in this era. It had some issues related to the show's budget that I can overlook, and it did get a little too "villain of the week" at times, but mostly it hit all the right notes and pleased both old and young fans. It was true to the franchise's roots when it knew it had to be, but knew where to expand or change things appropriately in order to feel fresh and exciting. As someone who grew up with the 80s/90s turtles when it was at its biggest, I still consider the 2012 show to be my favorite TMNT show, and among my favorite iterations of the property right alongside the 1990 live action film and the mirage/IDW comics.

Rise doesn't care about old fans in any way, instead opting to reboot the turtles for a new generation of kids. And after watching a lot of the episodes, I just feel no excitement for the show or what it's trying to do. It's not for me. The TMNT fan inside me will keep revisiting the new episodes occasionally in hopes of resonating with something, but I don't consider myself a fan of Rise or most of differences they went with, across the board. The animation can look nice sometimes, so there's that.

The only saving grace of Rise for me at this point is that, as long as (some) kids out there are liking it, it keeps the franchise chugging along, opening up opportunities for new movies, games, comics and what have you. Some of those things are bound to appeal to me.

Nick will reboot the turtles as infinitely as they have to, or until it fails so many times in a row that they feel it's time to give it a rest. Maybe in a couple years Nick will greenlight something that more established fans can appreciate. I for one would like them to try a show with a more sophisticated approach, more like avatar/korra instead of only going for the under 7yo audience.

Last edited by Zulithe; 01-16-2019 at 05:41 AM.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 07:32 PM   #74
MaximeLoonatic
Hench Mutant

Ok, I haven't been in this forum lately because I do enjoy the show, but all the negativity and hate toward it made me to just... being scared to say what I think.
But here I go...
First of all: they are nothing like Teen Titans Go! Their characters have very similar traces of the original series, but more childish; these turtles are nothing like the 2012's, can you imagine if they would have do that? THAT would be a disaster!
Also, the jokes aren't the same: ROTTMNT is more carefree and writes their own story, Teen Titans Go just rip off the stories that we know and made a incomprensible madness that usually make parody or other franchises

Long time ago I wasn't amused by shows because the characters looked silly or that wouldn't change at all... Those shows were Steven Universe and Star vs the Forces of Evil.
And I feel like this show would go in that direction. The word Rise it's the main point of the show. And by the new episode of January 19th, I feel like the storm would come eventually.

There, I say it!
Will my opinion be respected?
MaximeLoonatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 09:10 PM   #75
Leo656
The Franchise

If you don't resort to calling people "salty babies" or "cranky old people" for having a different opinion than yours, I personally don't care what you do or don't like. What you like is your business. I mean this for everyone.

I only watched the pilot, and it made me angry, so I don't watch it. But I get a lot of sh*t for that. The way I look at it, if I am "allowed" to express my opinion that the show is devoid of value and actively damages the brand name, then those who enjoy it are equally allowed to go on about how they feel. Anyone who jumps to either name-calling, or "shut up and go away"-ism, those are individuals whose opinions I do not and will never respect.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 03:30 AM   #76
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximeLoonatic View Post
Ok, I haven't been in this forum lately because I do enjoy the show, but all the negativity and hate toward it made me to just... being scared to say what I think.
But here I go...
First of all: they are nothing like Teen Titans Go! Their characters have very similar traces of the original series, but more childish; these turtles are nothing like the 2012's, can you imagine if they would have do that? THAT would be a disaster!
Also, the jokes aren't the same: ROTTMNT is more carefree and writes their own story, Teen Titans Go just rip off the stories that we know and made a incomprensible madness that usually make parody or other franchises

Long time ago I wasn't amused by shows because the characters looked silly or that wouldn't change at all... Those shows were Steven Universe and Star vs the Forces of Evil.
And I feel like this show would go in that direction. The word Rise it's the main point of the show. And by the new episode of January 19th, I feel like the storm would come eventually.

There, I say it!
Will my opinion be respected?
We can like and dislike what want, I see name calling on the net for doing either (where it is opinion and not trolling I mean)

So far as Rise, there seems to be a small number on here who vocally like it, I'm sure they'd welcome another to share the appreciation with.

Last edited by newfan; 01-19-2019 at 03:41 AM.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:53 PM   #77
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Next Mutation

Should we call Rise of the TMNT the Next Mutation of the late-2010's? Not plote-wise, but because of its generally low status among fans.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:57 AM   #78
Egon1982
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Ninja Turtles don't always appeal to everyone. I remember seeing a friend's kid he didn't like them back in the 2003 era, and kids saying they were lame while I was busy deciding which 2012 figure to buy. Most kids, I assume, prefer comedy cartoons than action cartoons, even if TMNT tries to mix both. Maybe that's why Netflix gets all the cool and more story driven action shows, because kids wouldn't have the attention span for that kinda stuff and would rather watch Spongebob and TTG.

I do see that Rise is more about the action than story, and honestly, that's OK, since some shows are like that. I know we're all TMNT fans but it seems we always demand Shakespeare and super deep life pondering questions when it's a show about talking turtles. Sometimes it can be a past paced all action show.
Yup, Voltron Legendary Defender is totally story driven stuff and i love that.
Egon1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 02:37 PM   #79
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleToys View Post
They don’t like it.
Have you tried the two previous cartoons, or maybe the Archie comics? I think your children deserve that if they seem to ask for something better.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote