Mad Scientist

TMNT Universe #22 Preview and Discussion

Full preview soon. First look:

Spoiler:
AlZarkovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 04:23 PM   #2
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I get the feeling that a good thing and a bad thing are going to happen at the same time.

The Treaty will be successful, but Ch'rell will be loose and screaming. Probably something with the leading women and teenage boy smacking their dissenters on the wrist or wrist equivalent.

From what I can tell on the windows, they appear to be in space, maybe? For some reason?

Either that, they're in some room on Burnow Island and Krang just had really weird taste in art.

And Don had been with them for months? Months???

Here's an easier read. Looks like we'll find out what Leatherhead has been up to. How...how deep into the water has he gone if he's fighting a squid bigger than his face and has a viperfish nearby? I mean, that's gotta be at least over 2,000 feet.

Last edited by Utrommaniac; 05-10-2018 at 06:50 PM.
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 08:15 AM   #3
bushido
Stone Warrior

Full preview here.
Old 05-12-2018, 08:26 AM   #4
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

And we have a new forum reaction image, for those times when the nonsense is just too much!

Don's got this though. I think the description might be underselling a bit. Kleve's not going to get too far.
Old 05-12-2018, 05:22 PM   #5
ChosenOne
Banned

How do you say "Kleve"? I've been saying it like "sleeve" in my head, but I'm usually wrong about stuff like that.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 05:25 PM   #6
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I'm not sure what else there is except the word "cleave"...which would be appropriate given his ambition to "cleave" the agreement apart .
Old 05-12-2018, 05:59 PM   #7
ChosenOne
Banned

Yep, definitely checks out! Ironically, "Montuoro" was easier for me to figure out and pronounce, being an Iberian native and all.
Old 05-12-2018, 06:02 PM   #8
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Oh for fruck's sake, Don. You can't talk a shooter down. You're a NINJA. Do something ninja.

And consider me PSYCHED for Deep Sea Leatherhead. Sounds like a rad action figure variant!
Old 05-12-2018, 06:28 PM   #9
spookycookies
Stone Warrior

Hmm so if Don has been in negotiations for months would that put this story after kingdom of rats? At first I wanted this to be an epilogue to Triceriton Invasion but I forget when the first bit of Kingdom picked up after it.
spookycookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 06:34 PM   #10
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
I'm not sure what else there is except the word "cleave"...which would be appropriate given his ambition to "cleave" the agreement apart .
Or like "clef" but with a v at the end? Or "kle-veh"?
Old 05-12-2018, 07:09 PM   #11
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
And we have a new forum reaction image, for those times when the nonsense is just too much!

https://i.imgur.com/OYak2y8.png

Don's got this though. I think the description might be underselling a bit. Kleve's not going to get too far.
Yes!!!!!! Its perfect!!!!!!!
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 07:24 PM   #12
CyberCubed
Overlord

So in the intermission between Krang's death and Ch'rell waking up, we have Kleve to take over the role of evil rogue Utrom, huh?

I wonder if he'll be killed off right at the end of this issue since he seems to be a one-shot adversary before we move on to the next main evil Utrom.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 08:24 PM   #13
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
So in the intermission between Krang's death and Ch'rell waking up, we have Kleve to take over the role of evil rogue Utrom, huh?

I wonder if he'll be killed off right at the end of this issue since he seems to be a one-shot adversary before we move on to the next main evil Utrom.
I figure he won't be killed--he'll kill himself. He'd rather die a true Utrom than live with his former slaves and grunts as equals on Burnow Island.

#liveUtromdieUtrom
Old 05-12-2018, 09:28 PM   #14
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Probably after filling in Ch'rell on what's going on. It's probably the one death I could see happening.

<Panel of Ma'riell after the story ends, sighing in exasperation and adding a sixth hatch to the count of dead Utroms. "For fvck's sake, Kleve". Ch'rell is throwing a tantrum in the background.>

I really think that image of Deep Sea Leatherhead looks like something that would be on a gigantic painting in a sea town tavern that's had one too many swords and knives stuck in it over the years.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:41 AM   #15
PaulAllor
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Just to steer away from a misconception a few of you are having, Donnie has not been there for months. The "months of wallowing in compromise and moral ambiguity" is referring to everything that's been going on with the Turtles recently -- not just the events of this story.
PaulAllor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:57 AM   #16
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Ahh, thanks ! That clears up a lot of things.

(Though, being there for a few months would make sense considering how quickly the Triceratons and Kleve healed from their respective injuries)

Last edited by Utrommaniac; 05-15-2018 at 09:46 AM.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:41 PM   #17
spookycookies
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulAllor View Post
Just to steer away from a misconception a few of you are having, Donnie has not been there for months. The "months of wallowing in compromise and moral ambiguity" is referring to everything that's been going on with the Turtles recently -- not just the events of this story.
Thanks for clearing that up!
spookycookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 01:02 AM   #18
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Spoiler:
A summary of the issue

With a rather surprising number of silly moments

Not even out of stasis for two seconds, and Ch'rell's already "demanding" to see Krang. Not his sister. Krang.

Who's General now, oooh boy! Which...really settles that Utrom military ranking is weird. With Lieutenants outranking Commanders, and Colonels being directly below Generals, rather than four ranks behind. But jeez Kleve, just blasting right in there with what happened. Give the guy a few minutes to get his senses.

Kleve has clearly spent way too much time around Krang (and maybe Ch'rell). He's absorbed the drama.

It seems Tarsa is another lady Triceraton.

Donatello seems to have missed leg day, in a different way.

Looks like Leatherhead finally got that belt off. And will probably just be dragged back to Burnow all over again, since he can breathe its air now.

Last edited by Utrommaniac; 05-16-2018 at 02:01 AM.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:26 AM   #19
ChosenOne
Banned

I'm gonna go ahead and say this is the best issue of Universe ever, hands down. It just worked for me. Struck all the right chords and made the most of its page count, with a couple of gut punches thrown in for good measure.

Spoiler:
The back-up had me a bit confused, though. How can Leatherhead breathe in the island's atmosphere without an apparatus again? Is it just gonna be handwaved away? Also, when exactly did the final panels take place? Did he just swim all the way out to New York City? How? How did he find the way? And if he did, why not do it before the whole Utrom revival incident? It's not like he didn't have the time. Maybe I'm just nitpicking, but it struck me as odd.

Also, was anyone else expecting Tragg and Granitor to be the two accomplices?
Old 05-16-2018, 09:52 AM   #20
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Spoiler:
The illusion of progress.
Well HOT DAMN! That... THAT was amazing. That one little twist propelled this story from great to AMAZING.

Kudos, Paul! Kudos!

And the Leatherhead back-up... "I'm free now." Damn.

This truly was an amazing issue. As much as I've loved Karai's Path, "Old Hob vs Leatherhead", and the Bishop introductory story arc... I think I gotta hand this issue the Cylons Award of "Best Damn Issue of Universe."