The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 02-21-2018, 02:29 PM   #15841
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl316bh View Post
Yeah, though I wonder how it would have worked if they bought the tapes, but not TNA
True. I considered that they could just refer to the early years of TNA performers as time spent affiliated with the NWA, since TNA used the championship from 2002 through to 2007, though at the same time, WWE like to pretend the NWA ceased to be an entity when WCW seperated from it, if their World Heavyweight Championship history is to be taken at face(palm) value.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 02:56 PM   #15842
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
True. I considered that they could just refer to the early years of TNA performers as time spent affiliated with the NWA, since TNA used the championship from 2002 through to 2007, though at the same time, WWE like to pretend the NWA ceased to be an entity when WCW seperated from it, if their World Heavyweight Championship history is to be taken at face(palm) value.
Well, the NWA title did split with WCW, who formed the WCW championship, so it's not like WWE has a lot of reason to acknowledge it existed past that point. It lost a lot of luster, too, especially since the split with TNA left it off TV entirely, so it's not like the belt means much anymore.

Though if they wanted to, there's nothing stopping them from doing what you say if they ever did get the TNA tape library assuming, like, Anthem wanted to start over with a fresh slate or whatever. WWE technically owns NWA, dating back to agreements signed when the NWA had their invasion angle on Raw in '98/'99.
Old 02-21-2018, 03:41 PM   #15843
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl316bh View Post
Well, the NWA title did split with WCW, who formed the WCW championship, so it's not like WWE has a lot of reason to acknowledge it existed past that point. It lost a lot of luster, too, especially since the split with TNA left it off TV entirely, so it's not like the belt means much anymore.
Remember when the NWA had a brief affiliation with the WWF itself 20 years ago? That was around the time UFC's Dan Severn was champion and was in the company helping Owen Hart feud against Ken Shamrock
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 04:44 PM   #15844
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Remember when the NWA had a brief affiliation with the WWF itself 20 years ago? That was around the time UFC's Dan Severn was champion and was in the company helping Owen Hart feud against Ken Shamrock
That's what I was talking about when I mention the NWA "invasion" angle they ran with briefly. WWE technically owns NWA because of that, given agreements signed at the time. I think it might have been on Jim Cornettes podcast where one of the guys involved in the decision making process at the time revealed that.

Tags
armbar#, silverdome brother, wrestling