The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 04-27-2018, 01:47 AM   #121
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Where do you see that?
http://variety.com/2018/film/asia/ch...or-1202781743/
http://deadline.com/2018/04/tencent-...ts-1202374522/

Tencent is only handling merchandise, marketing and distribution in China.
Old 04-27-2018, 02:47 AM   #122
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
http://variety.com/2018/film/asia/ch...or-1202781743/
http://deadline.com/2018/04/tencent-...ts-1202374522/

Tencent is only handling merchandise, marketing and distribution in China.
Fair enough. Though I'd be very interested in seeing the % of finances rendered from each of the 3 parties, as that Tenchant article makes it sound like Tenchant is the one that made this deal happen. As in... they threw in the lion's share and are shouldering the risk.

Which would make sense. Genisys wasn't profitable anywhere but China.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 03:30 AM   #123
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Quote:
Fair enough. Though I'd be very interested in seeing the % of finances rendered from each of the 3 parties, as that Tenchant article makes it sound like Tenchant is the one that made this deal happen. As in... they threw in the lion's share and are shouldering the risk.

Which would make sense. Genisys wasn't profitable anywhere but China.
Why would you think they were putting in the lions share? Just because of Genisys? The movie was going to be made regardless. It was already greenlit.

I’d like to know if they have any input on anything. They seem to be at the bottom of the ladder to me.
Old 04-27-2018, 03:42 AM   #124
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Why would you think they were putting in the lions share? Just because of Genisys? The movie was going to be made regardless. It was already greenlit.
The Tenchant thing is not a new thing. We are only learning about it now. You don't get a movie greenlit with only half or less of finances in check... you get it greenlit with 100%.
Old 04-27-2018, 04:22 AM   #125
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Quote:
The Tenchant thing is not a new thing. We are only learning about it now. You don't get a movie greenlit with only half or less of finances in check... you get it greenlit with 100%.
Ya you’re probably right that the deal was made before. I still don’t see why you’d conclude they get so much control though.

Even if the deal was made from the start I think it’s pretty easy to figure either Skydance, Paramount or Fox, or a combo, invested the most since Tencent would be the newcomer and it’s an American franchise. Paramount distributed Genisys.

That first article you posted I guess kinda makes it seem they’re the main people behind it but I just saw it as Tencent wanting to get in on some of the profit because China apparently really likes Terminator.

Edit: Here’s another link about the general deal if you’re interested. It’s more about growing Skydance than changing anything.http://deadline.com/2018/01/skydance...na-1202269479/

Last edited by Wildcat; 04-27-2018 at 04:59 AM.
Wildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 01:45 PM   #126
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

First look at the main cast of Terminator 6:

Looks like very... eh, progressive?
Old 08-02-2018, 02:47 PM   #127
neatoman
Emperor

Why is there a sixth Terminator movie in the works? Why are there any Terminator movies after the first one?

The second movie implied that you could change the future by going back in time, but somehow not erase the paradoxical child. The third said you can delay the future, but you can't change it in any other way. The fifth says you can even completely alter the circumstances and literally nothing will change.

But we saw that timeline was on a perfect loop in the first movie. Here are facts laid down by the first one.
  1. John's father is unknown.
  2. He was trained from childhood.
  3. Kyle got a crush on Sarah from a photo.
  4. Kyle is sent back because he volunteers.
  5. Sarah is stuck in a dead end job without a boyfriend during the time she could conceivably get pregnant.
  6. Kyle and Sarah bond while he protects her and they bone.
  7. Kyle dies, can't be identified because he doesn't exist yet.
  8. Pregnant Sarah escapes to Mexico.
  9. A picture of her is taken, the same one Kyle had.

It's so obvious that there's no real room for a sequel.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 05:02 PM   #128
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Why is there a sixth Terminator movie in the works? Why are there any Terminator movies after the first one?

The second movie implied that you could change the future by going back in time, but somehow not erase the paradoxical child. The third said you can delay the future, but you can't change it in any other way. The fifth says you can even completely alter the circumstances and literally nothing will change.

But we saw that timeline was on a perfect loop in the first movie. Here are facts laid down by the first one.
  1. John's father is unknown.
  2. He was trained from childhood.
  3. Kyle got a crush on Sarah from a photo.
  4. Kyle is sent back because he volunteers.
  5. Sarah is stuck in a dead end job without a boyfriend during the time she could conceivably get pregnant.
  6. Kyle and Sarah bond while he protects her and they bone.
  7. Kyle dies, can't be identified because he doesn't exist yet.
  8. Pregnant Sarah escapes to Mexico.
  9. A picture of her is taken, the same one Kyle had.

It's so obvious that there's no real room for a sequel.
I mostly agree with this; I think the first film is the true classic out of the first two. Even now, I still think it has lots to unpack, thematically speaking. You could probably make some of the same points about Back to the Future.

The second still revolutionized special effects, though. I see it as more of an exercise in successful branding that happens to have an insane degree of nostalgic appeal for lots of people. A prototypical modern "summer movie" that happens to have more depth than the average film of its type.

Quote:
First look at the main cast of Terminator 6:

http://www.highlander-community.com/t6.jpg

Looks like very... eh, progressive?

The real question is, why did they decide to make John Connor a transgender twink for this new film?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:41 PM   #129
frank_one
Mad Scientist

One promotional image out and one can already tell this is gonna suck and why. Goodbye Hollywood.
frank_one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 07:12 PM   #130
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Probably PG-13, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_one View Post
One promotional image out and one can already tell this is gonna suck and why. Goodbye Hollywood.
It's almost like... this has happened before...

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 08-02-2018 at 07:21 PM.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:59 PM   #131
CyberCubed
Overlord

Terminator 3 was very underrated. I know people dislike that it undoes the ending from T2 and proves the future is still set in stone, but if you view it as just a fun action movie, it's pretty entertaining. A lot of good action set pieces too and it's held up well since it came out way back in 2003.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 10:45 PM   #132
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Terminator 3 was very underrated. I know people dislike that it undoes the ending from T2 and proves the future is still set in stone, but if you view it as just a fun action movie, it's pretty entertaining. A lot of good action set pieces too and it's held up well since it came out way back in 2003.
I agree, it is a good action movie on its own. Probably not what fans wanted and not with a particularly remarkable sci-fi plot, but it was enjoyable. Arnold was ok, not too old, the terminatrix was a cool new entry. Not sure about the guy who plays John Connor though. Marco Beltrami's score was wonderful.
frank_one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 10:51 PM   #133
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

T3 was decent. Didn't like the TX controlling cars B.S., hated the super awkward/creepy/weird "You remind me of my mother!" line and would have certainly cut the "talk to the hand" business... but other than that, I really dug it just fine.
Old 08-03-2018, 12:19 AM   #134
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Others have complained about that promo pic. Just stop people. There’s nothing to read into. All movies get promos that nobody gives a second thought to.

It’s ridiculous that every piece of material released for anything has to be scrutinized.

I’m 100% convinced some people are just cynical about stuff simply for the sake of it. It is absolutely a thing to be against stuff or to act like it anyway. I’m sure there’s a word for it.
Old 08-03-2018, 12:49 AM   #135
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
I’m 100% convinced some people are just cynical about stuff simply for the sake of it. It is absolutely a thing to be against stuff or to act like it anyway. I’m sure there’s a word for it.
There's probably a term for it. Like, "Fool us once..."

(just talking about the franchise at large)
Old 08-03-2018, 01:39 AM   #136
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Quote:
There's probably a term for it. Like, "Fool us once..."

(just talking about the franchise at large)
It’s not about this franchise though. It’s everything. I mean a basic promo pic is making the news.

I check my usual forums for updates and when I saw it was just a picture that was released I honestly thought...oh that’s it? well nothing then.

Now I find it turned into a whole matter and it’s like this turned into a topic? This generic picture with 3 characters that we already know of?
Old 08-03-2018, 02:00 AM   #137
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
It’s not about this franchise though. It’s everything. I mean a basic promo pic is making the news.

I check my usual forums for updates and when I saw it was just a picture that was released I honestly thought...oh that’s it? well nothing then.

Now I find it turned into a whole matter and it’s like this turned into a topic? This generic picture with 3 characters that we already know of?
What? We only know 1 of the 3 characters. The rest are... well... seem to fit certain... let's call them "archetypes"?
Old 08-03-2018, 02:15 AM   #138
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Quote:
What? We only know 1 of the 3 characters. The rest are... well... seem to fit certain... let's call them "archetypes"?
No I meant already knew of the actors. Not their specific details. Except Linda of course.

What do mean “archetypes”? That they’re purposely female heroes or something?
Old 08-03-2018, 02:33 AM   #139
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
I mostly agree with this; I think the first film is the true classic out of the first two. Even now, I still think it has lots to unpack, thematically speaking. You could probably make some of the same points about Back to the Future.

The second still revolutionized special effects, though. I see it as more of an exercise in successful branding that happens to have an insane degree of nostalgic appeal for lots of people. A prototypical modern "summer movie" that happens to have more depth than the average film of its type.
Sure, Terminator 2 is still a good movie, I'm not denying that. I'm just saying it doesn't make sense as a sequel.

If Sarah raised John to be a soldier in the first movie, that implies it's set in a stable time loop, the photo just clinched it. This means that the mission to destroy Cyberdyne in the second one makes no sense, because we already know they can't change anything.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 03:21 AM   #140
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Sure, Terminator 2 is still a good movie, I'm not denying that. I'm just saying it doesn't make sense as a sequel.

If Sarah raised John to be a soldier in the first movie, that implies it's set in a stable time loop, the photo just clinched it. This means that the mission to destroy Cyberdyne in the second one makes no sense, because we already know they can't change anything.
I am agree - I like T2: it's a good movie, but it was absolutely unnecessary as a sequel and it's story doesn't really meshes with T1.

Hilariously T3, which I like, sort of "fixes" it.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adayinsidemillerthemovie, cuckwithmeifyouwanttolive, franchise is terminated, hasta la vista cis men, pappenbrooktriggered, terminator: woke fate, the future is female