The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

View Poll Results: Super Mario Bros. 3 vs. Super Mario World
Super Mario Bros. 3 14 51.85%
Super Mario World 13 48.15%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2017, 06:58 PM   #41
Prowler
Emperor
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 5,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
I think SMB3 is more interesting and has more variety, but World is just more fun. Also, Yoshi was a blast. World is easier, too, except for "Tubular"... damn whatever spawn of Satan invented that level.
You'll learn to appreciate Tubular once you try some Super Mario World levels made by Super Mario Maker players
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 07:29 PM   #42
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 13,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
It felt like a SNES video game version of those home economics classes... you guys ever have those in middle school? Where everyone has to take care of the sugar baby, or whatever?
Excellent way to describe it. As a father, the wailing baby is 1000x more annoying now.
__________________
ALL THEIR DAYS ARE NUMBERED
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 08:03 PM   #43
TMNT_Guy
Stone Warrior
 
TMNT_Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Home, PA
Posts: 620
Definetly Super Mario Bros 3. Super Mario World compared to 3 is just bland to me. It's way to easy, has less power ups and because of that less strategy. Most of the levels can easily be skipped by simply flying over them since you can fly indefinitely with the Cape Feather. It's also has some weird color palette decisions that make it feel rushed like Yoshi's orange arms. I mean, even with 16-bit graphics they couldn't give Ludwig his blue hair? The best part of Super Mario World for me was Yoshi, it's just a shame that in every game after Super Mario World Yoshi became a one level specific power up rather then a buddy that you could travel with to any level you wanted.

That being said, I think Super Mario World is a good beginners game...my problem is just that it's not very accommodating to experienced players. Even the Special World levels can easily be cleared with a cape and a blue Yoshi so you can just fly over most of the levels. Even though Super Mario World is far from being on my "Favorite Mario Games List" I'd rather play it over any of the New Super Mario Bros games any day.

I'm going with an unpopular opinion and saying that I like Yoshi's Island AKA Super Mario World 2 more then Super Mario World. The crying sound never bothered me and I personally find the beeping sound you get when your low on hearts in Zelda games far more annoying. Though I did prefer the health system used in Yoshi's Story.
__________________
TMNT_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 08:06 PM   #44
Powder
Salami Origami
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell Ri La
Posts: 25,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
You know what Mario game really sucks? Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island.

Horrific. Unplayable. Huge disappointment. Cute, with good use of the "Mode 6" SFX (or whatever was touted as being state of the art with SNES) but that's all.
My friend, I have stood by quietly & watched you say a lot of ridiculous stuff over the years, but this, this... this is unforgivable.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 08:44 PM   #45
Prowler
Emperor
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 5,813
This has been a pretty even poll thus far.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 10:42 PM   #46
Wildcat
Mad Scientist
 
Wildcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: AZ
Posts: 1,994
Super Mario Bros. 3 >>> Super Mario World.

World is fine but 3 has so many great levels and overall variety it doesn't even compare.
__________________
Nothing can survive the will to stay alive, cause if you try, you can do anything.
Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 10:56 PM   #47
Coola Yagami
Emperor
 
Coola Yagami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 8,028
Super Mario World. I mean, both games are awesome and I know Mario 3 had the most power ups and stuff... but World was easier and thus I got to see more of it. I like both games, but if I had to choose only one to play, it would be Super Mario World.
__________________
https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/

Check out my blog on random stuff from TMNT to Batman comics to whatever else hits my mind.
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 11:27 PM   #48
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout
 
FredWolfLeonardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: New Bark Town
Posts: 2,997
I'm really glad that the SMB 3 theme got a remix in one of my favourite games, Super Smash Bros Melee. I don't think Mario World did though, maybe only in the future smash titles.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 01:05 AM   #49
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill
 
Netkeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,649
__________________
Netkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 01:43 AM   #50
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 14,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNT_Guy View Post
Definetly Super Mario Bros 3. Super Mario World compared to 3 is just bland to me. It's way to easy
What, because you can save? You can't in SMB3. Try to beat SMW in one sitting. All of it. You can, but it's not going to be a short affair.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 11:09 AM   #51
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill
 
Netkeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,649
"This game is EASY which means its FOR BABIES which means I DONT LIKE IT because I'M NOT A BABY I can prove it because I play Dark Souls which WILL NEVER BE EASY"
__________________
Netkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 11:30 AM   #52
Cure
Y'all need Jesus
 
Cure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 8,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netkeeper View Post
"This game is EASY which means its FOR BABIES which means I DONT LIKE IT because I'M NOT A BABY I can prove it because I play Dark Souls which WILL NEVER BE EASY"
Yeah, there's a weird stigma against easy games for some reason. Like, excuse me for not wanting to play a game that makes me wanna pull my hair out. I wanna enjoy what I'm doing.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 12:19 PM   #53
TMNT_Guy
Stone Warrior
 
TMNT_Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Home, PA
Posts: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
What, because you can save? You can't in SMB3. Try to beat SMW in one sitting. All of it. You can, but it's not going to be a short affair.
You can save in the All-Stars version and the GBA one. Yeah, it might take you a couple of hours to beat every level in one day, but it doesn't change my opinion that Super Mario World is too easy and basic. A game's length isn't the same as a game's challenge or variety.

Besides, in terms of length there isn't much of a difference between SMB3 and SMW. SMW has 96 levels where SMB3 has 90 levels plus the Hammer Bros encounters and the bonus games, though SMW's levels are longer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netkeeper View Post
"This game is EASY which means its FOR BABIES which means I DONT LIKE IT because I'M NOT A BABY I can prove it because I play Dark Souls which WILL NEVER BE EASY"
I never said I didn't like Super Mario World, just that it's not one of my favorite Mario games and that I like Super Mario Bros 3 more.

I like Super Mario world. I've been playing it since I started playing video games and probably will continue to play it for many more years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
Yeah, there's a weird stigma against easy games for some reason. Like, excuse me for not wanting to play a game that makes me wanna pull my hair out. I wanna enjoy what I'm doing.
I agree. I've never finished Kirby's Dream Land 3 because getting all the Heart Stars was too annoying for me, ironic considering the Kirby series was made specifically so that anyone can beat them. But the Kirby series in general is a great example of easy games that are a ton of fun to play.

Difficulty in games will always be a subjective thing, but it shouldn't matter so long as the game remains engaging.
__________________
TMNT_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 03:23 PM   #54
Prowler
Emperor
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 5,813
Cool your jets, people. I, too, never said I didn't like Super Mario World nor that it being generally easier than SMB 3 made it any less fun. And SMB isn't one of those games that's so hard that makes you pull your hair out either. Such games aren't fun and SMB 3 is fun still. There's way harder NES games, mostly due to crappy and stiff controls(I'm looking at you, CastleVania), something that SMB 3 sure as hell doesn't suffer from.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 07:06 AM   #55
Stephen
Hench Mutant
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by DestronMirage22 View Post
but the three dimensional gameplay was too different from the games before it.
Then again, things might have just stagnated if they'd kept doing the same things as previous games.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 03:23 PM   #56
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill
 
Netkeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,649
I'm 90% sure there was a post here that got deleted.
__________________
Netkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 03:02 AM   #57
Prowler
Emperor
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 5,813
Oh and about Super Mario World...

Spoiler:


It has arguably the happiest ending in video game history. At least as far as music goes. This is just one of those tracks that makes you genuinely happy. I'll be 60 years old and still smile as I listen to this track.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 07:38 AM   #58
TMNT_Guy
Stone Warrior
 
TMNT_Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Home, PA
Posts: 620
Oh that song is amazing. I used to pop in Paper Mario just so I could listen to that song on that Koopa's radio in Koopa Village.

But to be fair, almost every Mario credits theme is amazing and brings a smile to nearly everyone's face. It's tough to pick my favorite. Super Mario Bros 3's song makes me think of a friend or a loved one moving away and your just remembering all the good times you had with each other. Yoshi's Island gives me all sorts of emotions. It makes me think of life and how I believe death isn't the end, but a new beginning...I always listen to this song when I've lost someone I care about. It's both sad and uplifting. If I had to choose a song to be played at my funeral, it would be that one. Super Mario Land has some of the the most beautiful music on the Game Boy and Super Mario 64's ending theme always gives me chills...but then Paper Mario's- eh, I think you get my point.

Spoiler:








__________________
TMNT_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 04:27 AM   #59
Prowler
Emperor
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 5,813
Perhaps Super Mario games are the key to achieve world peace.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:43 PM   #60
Refractive Reflections
Mad Scientist
 
Refractive Reflections's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,232
It's been some time since the last post, but I'll throw in my opinion.

I have to say Super Mario Bros. 3 as it introduced different themed worlds and wide assortment of obstacles never seen before in previous Mario games (i.e. airships), a variety of different power up suits (tanooki, frog, hammer, racoon), being surprise rewarded with white mushroom houses and coin ships, introducing the Koopa kids, providing a bit of game level variety on being able to choose which levels to play on the overworld map screen instead of a strict linear game play from one level to the next, being able to store power-ups in an inventory.

For Mario World, I definitely still enjoyed it, but I don't think it introduced/expanded as many elements as Super Mario Bros 3 did. The side-scrolling enemies were pre-historic themed, they introduced Yoshi, added the ghost-houses... but I just wasn't as impressed or excited. I enjoyed discovering the secret Star Road routes and portals, but not as much as SMB3's different themed worlds.

As others have said, playing the NES version of the SMB3 game can be tedious since there's no saving option, but I had so much fun with the game, I actually played through all the worlds straight through at least 10 times or so. Of course, it took about 4 hours or so each time... I loved the dark, mysterious, and difficult world 8 (i.e the tank level, the ship level, the superfast airship, the dark levels 1 & 2) of SMB3 as it felt more fulfilling in completing a more arduous journey in quick hand-eye coordination than in World's labyrinth of discovering new ways to shortcut to Bowser's castle.
__________________
"One will know what they value by the sacrifices they make."
Refractive Reflections is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.