The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 01-18-2018, 02:28 PM   #1361
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
I'd favor opening Episode IX with Leia's funeral/memorial service. It would be a nice way to honor the character and Carrie Fisher, and provide an immediate sense of gravitas to the film.

A time skip makes some sense too.
Yeah, 100% chance of a big time lapse. 5 years, maybe. By the start of the movie, I bet there's already Padawans (or whatever) in training. Conversely, Kylo and his Knights of Ren are doing evil stuff.

They'll probably have Leia die in the years between in some random First Order attack and "tune into the books to read about it!" Which is chickenshit.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 02:28 PM   #1362
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
I'd favor opening Episode IX with Leia's funeral/memorial service. It would be a nice way to honor the character and Carrie Fisher, and provide an immediate sense of gravitas to the film.
This is what I'm hoping they do as well.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 02:32 PM   #1363
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
This is what I'm hoping they do as well.
Can't have a time lapse with a memorial... I'm not seeing it. What we might get is some kind of big nod to her, though. Think, Henry Jones' statue in Indy IV, or something like that. Maybe some plan she hatched before dying bears fruit at a critical moment (fleet of ships arrives, "We're here on orders of General Leia," etc.).

I wonder if we'll finally get to see any of the existing Star Wars planets again. That Abrams interview about "I'm tying it all together, all the trilogies" is comforting.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:37 PM   #1364
plastroncafe

I disagree.
They could do the time jump in the crawl, and have the movie start at her memorial service.

But hey, there's plenty of time to speculate.
Quote:
Quote:
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:47 PM   #1365
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
I disagree.
They could do the time jump in the crawl, and have the movie start at her memorial service.

But hey, there's plenty of time to speculate.
What do you mean a time jump in the crawl? Say it's been 5 years, then show the memorial service, then actually move the movie 5 years? It's possible, but there's never been a Star Wars movie that skips ahead time like that mid-movie. Then again, there wasn't ever flashbacks in Star Wars movies until TLJ (the "Force Visions" thing in TFA wasn't really that).

It might begin with Kylo having a tense reunion with Rey at Leia's gravestone. Or something. "I can't believe it's been 5 years already since she passed," etc.. That would kind of accomplish the same thing.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:52 PM   #1366
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
It might begin with Kylo having a tense reunion at Leia's gravestone. "I can't believe it's been 5 years already," etc..
That might actually work with or without Rey. He was clearly conflicted about his mother in The Last Jedi. Much as he seems to want to escape his families shadow, his feelings on his family seem really complicated and I could see him visiting a memorial.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:46 PM   #1367
CyberCubed
Overlord

Saw the movie, again before it left theaters, really great. I do wish the Canto Blight segment was a bit shorter, but no complaints. I even liked Rose and the Codebreaker guy a bit more this time around.

Love that Snoke and Phasma are dead. Love that Rey's parents are nobody. Mark Hammil and Adam Driver were fantastic the whole movie, easily the two standout actors. Also the ship battles are probably the best we've had in a Star Wars movie especially at the beginning. Some really great action scenes too in the throne room scene and Luke's training with Rey was good.

Hux is still terrible, worst new character by far. Purple Hair was boring too, but she's dead too so who cares. Also what's with that old woman with the ridiculously long nose?

I also hope Carrie Fisher's real life daughter gets a bigger role in the next movie, I liked her in this one even if she didn't do much. I also think the climax is one of the best of the series on Krait, although I wish the final shot wasn't on those slave kids, the main boy reminded me of Anakin.

Humor was on point too.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 06:22 PM   #1368
Katie
Just...way too serious.

But...but the next trilogy is about those kids. How can we ever GET it if they don’t show them?!

It was alright. I thought it could have been shaved down about 45 min. I still haven’t gotten the awe and amazement I felt ftom the original trilogy, but I guess some people will.

I want to really love it, cause I really loved those movies when I was a kid, but I just haven’t felt it from these new ones.
Old 01-18-2018, 06:34 PM   #1369
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl316bh View Post
That might actually work with or without Rey. He was clearly conflicted about his mother in The Last Jedi. Much as he seems to want to escape his families shadow, his feelings on his family seem really complicated and I could see him visiting a memorial.
See, if they actually EXPLAINED why he was mad at his parents, rather than let the audience guess, or state the obvious (he blamed them for sending him off to murdering uncle school)....something like him showing up at a memorial for his mother could be an interesting character conflict.

But, these new movies don't seem interested in that. Setup interesting ideas...next director doesn't like those ideas....give him permission to throw them out, wash, rinse, repeat.

I am AMAZED Disney is letting kennedy do these important movies WITHOUT a clear gameplan in mind.

it would have been hard enough to do 9 with carrie fisher gone. But, not knowing how 9 ends when you're almost done with 1? Bush-league stuff.
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 07:04 PM   #1370
plastroncafe

I'd rather them show us Ben split from his family, then just have it come up in some sort of a monologue or opening crawl.

And that's only if it's an absolute necessity, because I'll be honest his backstory is far less interesting to me when compared to the Future of the Jedi.

Mom and Dad agreed to send him to live as a Hermit with his crazy uncle who tried to kill him one night.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-19-2018, 01:56 AM   #1371
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I wish the final shot wasn't on those slave kids, the main boy reminded me of Anakin.
They looked like kids in a school production of Oliver Twist. Like the casting director picked them up from a local Pokemon League and rubbed some dirt on their faces.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:23 PM   #1372
Vegita-San
Emperor

Doomed.......worlds is doommmed!

https://www.cbr.com/star-wars-handma...r-reed-morano/
Old 01-20-2018, 05:25 PM   #1373
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
The **** is wrong with you why don't you want female directors?
Old 01-20-2018, 05:56 PM   #1374
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

So after five movies with white men at the helm, Kathleen Kennedy is finally considering following through on her promise to have a woman in the director's chair?

I'd imagine that it's for one of the spinoffs, since Johnson's trilogy will probably be X-XII, and Abrams is doing IX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 06:00 PM   #1375
Vegita-San
Emperor

I'm more concerned about what this new director has worked on previously.

has she worked on ANYTHING close to the level of Star wars before?

Something like the Hand Maidens tale doesn't scream star wars worthy.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:26 PM   #1376
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
I'm more concerned about what this new director has worked on previously.

has she worked on ANYTHING close to the level of Star wars before?

Something like the Hand Maidens tale doesn't scream star wars worthy.
I just hope she holds them to the same level of scrutiny as the male directors. She's had two Star Wars movies almost entirely reshot so far and fired another two others before they even began.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:40 PM   #1377
Vegita-San
Emperor

i seriously doubt it. in that case, if she doesn't like it and is afraid to fire this director for whatever reason, watch it be an even worse mess because her first choice was again another bad choice.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:19 PM   #1378
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

What's the problem? She did good work on The Handmaid's Tale. I think she even won an Emmy for it.

For all we know she could've met with KK to discuss the live action TV series that's coming in 2019.
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 08:44 PM   #1379
CyberCubed
Overlord

Vegita-san goes through mental breakdowns whenever anything relating to women is going on. His act has gotten really tired, I don't know how he doesn't get banned for this.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 08:50 PM   #1380
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Vegita-san goes through mental breakdowns whenever anything relating to women is going on. His act has gotten really tired, I don't know how he doesn't get banned for this.
Vegita-San in a nutshell

Tags
notmyskywalker, star wars, subvert expectations, the last sjw