The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

View Poll Results: Does fast food deserve its bad reputation?
Yes 6 75.00%
No 2 25.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-19-2017, 08:20 PM   #1
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Does fast food deserve its bad reputation?

Just a random thought while I am sitting here in McDonalds.

Do you think that fast food chains (especially the ones owned by big corporations) deserve their poor reputation as a danger to public health and an accelerator of obesity, or should they be seen in a more positive light?

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 11:26 PM   #2
newfan
Mad Scientist

It doesn't seem to hurt the popularity.
So long as people are aware of what they are eating then then it's up to them if they want to eat it often or not.

I take ordering a pizza over MacD's though.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 12:15 AM   #3
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
I take ordering a pizza over MacD's though.
Can we consider pizza to be fast food? You're not seeing that sucker for like 45 minutes, if you're lucky. That's a longer wait time than if you'd walked into a fine dining restaurant.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 12:33 AM   #4
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Can we consider pizza to be fast food? You're not seeing that sucker for like 45 minutes, if you're lucky. That's a longer wait time than if you'd walked into a fine dining restaurant.

Yeah I did question if it counts when I typed that.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 12:35 AM   #5
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Are you talking about Pizza Hut and Dominoes? I've never had to wait for those for more than 10 minutes.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:53 AM   #6
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Are you talking about Pizza Hut and Dominoes? I've never had to wait for those for more than 10 minutes.
Impossible. Maybe carry-out, and even then only if you'd called ahead. 10 minutes you can barely pull the pizza out of the oven.
Old 12-20-2017, 01:14 AM   #7
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Impossible. Maybe carry-out, and even then only if you'd called ahead. 10 minutes you can barely pull the pizza out of the oven.
Damn, sounds like its a whole different story in America.

Here in New Zealand, the 10 minutes on average what you would normally wait when ordering pizzas in store. 15 minutes if its a busy hour but never any longer than that.

Old 12-20-2017, 01:23 AM   #8
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Damn, sounds like its a whole different story in America.

Here in New Zealand, the 10 minutes on average what you would normally wait when ordering pizzas in store. 15 minutes if its a busy hour but never any longer than that.
Hm, maybe if these are pre-set pizzas. Are you talking, even if you place an order for a pizza with custom toppings and all? Like, "I want an extra large pizza with thick crust and Canadian bacon, artichoke, chicken, tomatoes, and bacon," and within 10 minutes it's at your door? There's no way.
Old 12-20-2017, 01:32 AM   #9
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Hm, maybe if these are pre-set pizzas. Are you talking, even if you place an order for a pizza with custom toppings and all? Like, "I want an extra large pizza with thick crust and Canadian bacon, artichoke, chicken, tomatoes, and bacon," and within 10 minutes it's at your door? There's no way.
Ohhhh, so you're talking about pizzas delivered home? I thought you were referring to in-store purchases. Home deliveries definetly take longer, about 30 minutes where I live.

As for custom pizzas, I've never ordered any of those.

The most I've done is ordered a Pre-Set Pizza with some custom changes to the ingredients but it also takes about 10 minutes on average when ordered in-store.

I guess I'm gonna order a custom via home delivery someday just to see how long it takes.

Old 12-20-2017, 06:59 AM   #10
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Has anyone else here ever worked in fast food? I did a couple months at a McDonald's right after college. So wack.

As far as pizza, I would count Hungry Howie's and Little Caesar's as fast food but not most other pizza places
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 08:32 AM   #11
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
I have and still do. Have worked Papa Johns, Dominoes, Taco Bell and currently at McD's. I've also worked briefly at both a BBQ joint and a mom n pop pizza restaurant. Out of all of them, Dominoes and McDs are the worst. PJ's was fun, and TB was alright. I definitely prefer the food at those two over either Dominoes or McDs. Partly because I know how everything is made. PJ commercials are NOT kidding when they claim to use better ingredients. The dough is hand tossed- which neither Dominoes not Hurt do- and everything is cut daily for veggies. Same at TB. All the pico, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, etc are made fresh every day.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 10:23 AM   #12
Powder
So tired of this place

If it's genuinely bad for you, then it's not really a matter of reputation or opinion, just fact.

As with many things in life, if ya don't want it, don't get it.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 10:36 AM   #13
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
Has anyone else here ever worked in fast food?
Oh yeah. I worked in McDonald's for like a year when I was 17, 18. They wouldn't let me do anything but work on the grill, which was fine by me. It was pretty cool... on breaks, we could all just make ourselves, like, quadruple Big Macs or super quarter pounders and eat up. We used to chase each other around with the Mac Sauce guns, too, shooting each other throughout the back area.

I remember the freezer room downstairs, too. All the dudes would go down there and pee on all the boxes of frozen meat patties. Everyone that worked there knew it was happening but no one cared... it was like an employee bathroom, if you're a dude and had to go pee.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:43 AM   #14
sdp
-

Yeah, I've gotten used to Pizza places giving you your pizza immediately, during busy hours/days they already have "stock" pizzas cooked so you don't even have to wait unless you want a more specific order, then you have to wait.

I also started seeing advertisements again of "if it's not here in 30 minutes it's free" which I remember was big in the 90s but then kind of faded away which I guess might've been because of accidents and now they don't care again?
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 11:32 AM   #15
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
Has anyone else here ever worked in fast food? I did a couple months at a McDonald's right after college. So wack.
I worked at Burger King once for a couple of months to pay college fees. I was pretty satisfied with the job.

I don't think fast food is the devil that its cracked up to be. Documentaries like Super Size Me that are supposed to show how bad fast food is, have people not exercise and eat excessive calories on purpose. What else do you expect when that happens?

As for its ethicalness as a business, I think its a mixed bag. While heavily contributing to greenhouse gases and mistreatment of employees is never a good thing, there is always the fact that millions of mouths are fed and millions of people are paid to work there.

Last edited by FredWolfLeonardo; 12-20-2017 at 12:15 PM.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:22 PM   #16
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Nothing is good for you in large quantities and just be honest with yourself when you treat yourself some fast food. It's not a big deal and it does get stigmatized a lot more then it deserves.

Fast food is a lot more expensive in Norway then compared to UK or USA, so I don't eat too much of it, although a friend and I have been having a habit of getting the McDouble burger at McD for driving snacks or go for a proper meal on Burger King when we meet up for D&D.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 01:18 PM   #17
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Yes, the corporations that sling fast food deserve their reputation.
Which is one of the reasons I'm extra stoked that food trucks have become a much more popular thing.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 05:46 AM   #18
***First of Two Latin Kings***
Will not be censored

I worked grill for a franchise owned Wendy's and it was a horrible experience. I was already pushing 30 when I took the job but I couldn't find anything else. I worked there roughly 3 years before calling it quits.

When I started out I had no clue what I was doing but got really good at it to the point that anytime they needed someone they would call me in to work a few extra hours. It was horrible though in the sense that I would have to close down the store and the teenagers would just play when business was slow instead of cleaning or doing anything productive. Then they would get to go home at 11:00 because they were still in school. I would be stuck there until 3:30 or 4 in the morning sometimes and the restaurant closed at 11. Worst job I have ever had by far.
I can hear it now: "I'm sorry little April, I told you that if you didn't take good care of them I'd be taking them away. Now they are going to the lab to be abused for experimentation" (You could almost rewrite this as April caused the fire to get back at her father over it...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadiandrome View Post
Powder I'd not defend him, that's just how he gets

International shipping assistance: DARTHCJJ@GMAIL.COM
***First of Two Latin Kings*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 09:40 AM   #19
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Does it deserve it? Yeah, pretty much. Some of the major chains don't exactly seem to use the best quality meat in the first place... Then throw in all the extra salt, sugars, etc., (plus the soda and other stuff), uh, yeah, pretty deserved. Buuuut it's a personal choice to eat it or not. Although there's no way there aren't going to be drawbacks if eaten too often.

It's rare I eat it though as I just don't care to spend the money on it. Most of the major chains are okay, but I can't stand McDonald's... Onions on the burgers and grossed me out years ago with chunks of bone in the nuggets. No thanks on the "meat" products.

Honestly, other than pizza, the closest thing to fast food I've had a number of times this year is the chicken sliders and fries from Royal Farms near home, gotten after some closing shifts at work. If that counts, I assume. At least it's better meat than the nuggets.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 02:24 PM   #20
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
Yes, the corporations that sling fast food deserve their reputation.
Which is one of the reasons I'm extra stoked that food trucks have become a much more popular thing.
Out of curiosity, why do you believe they deserve it?