The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 07-27-2016, 06:13 PM   #1
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Does anyone else prefer tmnt to be lighthearted?

I've lately been seeing alot of threads where people are saying that tmnt should become more serious and dark like the days of mirage, and criticizing the influence that FW had on the franchise, such as all the frequent nods to the show in the Nick cartoon and all the influence on the Platinum Dunes' movies, especially OOTS.

However, am I the only one who likes the franchise better with a touch of lightheartedness? Don't get me wrong, I love the 2k3 show, the 1990 movie and the serious aspects of Nick/FW, but am i the only one who has enjoyed the more lighthearted aspects of tmnt far more than the dark and developed stuff?

I think there are so many of the dark/brooding type heroes these days like batman, that tmnt would be better off being positive and hopeful heroes, like superman once was known to be before Man of Steel made him a traumatized character. Maybe its just that I am a minority in liking optimistic/hopeful franchises more than the serious ones, or that I am old fashioned for not being much into the more cynical preferences in entertainment these days, but anyways.....

I find my favourite versions, FW an Nick, to have a good balance of seriousness and comedy as it is. So I am not against tmnt having serious elements, I just prefer it being balanced with both and I find FW and Nick to hit the mark the best. While I do think FW is slightly less serious than Nick, I find their tone overall very similar, and I think they both are reasonably balanced unlike alot of other stuff, not just tmnt related, which I find to be leaning a bit too muchd on the side of dark/serious.

What are your thoughts?

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.

Last edited by FredWolfLeonardo; 07-27-2016 at 06:34 PM.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 06:18 PM   #2
Powder
So tired of this place

Maybe you're just misunderstanding. I don't think anyone wants "dark & serious" all the time, balance is best. It's just that things are usually a lot more like 70/30 than 50/50, which is irksome.

Besides, TMNT is not dark/brooding in the way that Batman is. It's supposed to be more in tune with how staggering this cruel life can be than just edgy for the sake of it.

But yeah, Mirage has tons of humor/gags, so even the purists aren't the kinda fan you seem to think they are.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 06:22 PM   #3
snake
Disgusting

I just want the property to be taken more seriously. FW ruined the chances of that by a lot. A mix, like Powder said is ideal. IDW is a perfect balance and probably my favorite incarnation.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 06:30 PM   #4
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
I just want the property to be taken more seriously. FW ruined the chances of that by a lot. A mix, like Powder said is ideal. IDW is a perfect balance and probably my favorite incarnation.
IDW does have a perfect balance of FW and all incarnations of TMNT into one, the Nickelodeon series goes on it's own direction, which often results in some characters being in name only.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:56 PM   #5
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Agree with others that it needs to be a mix. Having both sides only makes them better, more whole characters.

I mean, ever know anyone who is a rather joyless person? Those to whom everything is all business all the time, nothing is ever fun or funny to them, they fail to even share a laugh... (I know a manager like this.) Those sorts of people tend to suck. The Turtles don't need that. Rather instead a bit of humor and joy scattered through their existence. Properly timed rather than inserted comedy that seems forced.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 07:11 PM   #6
ToTheNines
[sic]

I wish people would actually read the Mirage books...
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 07:12 PM   #7
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I guess what is balanced differs for each individual.

For example, I grew up watching Bollywood movies in a foreign country. Those movies in general, are alot more lighthearted than hollywood and even have musical sequences like a Disney films, while having the happily ever after endings. People in the Indian subcontinent didn't generally watch movies in order to relate to them, or learn something valuable, instead just preferring pure entertainment, while that same type of corniness/over-the top tone might be criticized here in the west.

Being used to lighthearted Bollywood cinema more than Hollywood, I guess FW seems more balanced to me while being too lighthearted for others, like those to whom IDW is the definitive version for having the best balance between lightheartedness and seriousness.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:59 PM   #8
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Now you got me wondering what a Bollywood TMNT would be like. o.O Talk about a culture clash.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:07 PM   #9
Commenter 42
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Now you got me wondering what a Bollywood TMNT would be like. o.O Talk about a culture clash.
NO!!!!!!

Dear god no. TMNT and musical numbers don't mix.
Commenter 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:09 PM   #10
Huzzah
Mad Scientist

Seriously, Mirage was more sci-fi than dark and broody. Pretty much the whole Frank Miller-esque-ness of the stuff was dropped after the first few issues until the City at War arc, which fell back on some of that.

Personally I want to see TMNT embrace the sci-fi stuff. Give me a movie with the Fugitoid and Triceratons and space wars, I'd be all in for that.
Huzzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:28 PM   #11
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commenter 42 View Post
NO!!!!!!

Dear god no. TMNT and musical numbers don't mix.

No?? Where is your sense of morbid curiosity! I just picture them standing there looking around saying:
"What the hell is this?"
"What dimension are we in?"
"Is this real life?"

No, I agree with you of course... I'm not really that out of my mind. lol But it's an amusingly absurd mental image. (I can't watch Bollywood stuff anyhow, the vocal tones hurt my ears.)
Old 07-27-2016, 08:51 PM   #12
Commenter 42
Banned

Quote:

No?? Where is your sense of morbid curiosity! I just picture them standing there looking around saying:
"What the hell is this?"
"Is this real life?"

No, I agree with you of course... I'm not really that out of my mind. lol But it's an amusingly absurd mental image. (I can't watch Bollywood stuff anyhow, the vocal tones hurt my ears.)
Agree with all of it. The aesthetics hurt my eyes.

I get the intent, over the top, celebration of life, etc. BUT, damn if it doesn't get on my nerves.

I'm one of those that can't stand hearing somebody chewing their food... I have a thing about certain sounds.

Old 07-27-2016, 10:11 PM   #13
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:

"What the hell is this?"
"Is this real life?"

What would be better, a Micheal Bay directed tmnt 3 or a tmnt Bollywood edition?

Old 07-27-2016, 10:31 PM   #14
Commenter 42
Banned

What are we playing, would you rather?

Bay or Bollywood, Hillarity or Drumph, shot or stabbed.

Can we stop? please?
Old 07-28-2016, 09:11 AM   #15
TMNT_Guy
Stone Warrior

Like others have said, I prefer TMNT when it's a mix between serious and light. My favorite adaptation to date is the first movie that successfully combined dark elements from the Mirage comics and lighthearted elements from the old cartoon.

Out of all three TMNT cartoons, the Notes from the Underground three parter is still my favorite episode. It's got dark elements and implications, yet Mikey is hilarious in these episodes: "There are just some things that, man was never meant to tamper with."

But at the end of the day, it all comes down to how its written. Forced drama can be just as bad as forced comedy and vise versa. The great thing about TMNT is that it can dip into any tone it wants to, so long as the writing supports it.

"Life at best is bittersweet."
Old 07-28-2016, 09:22 AM   #16
Wesley
Mad Scientist

I prefer tmnt to have a good balance between being lighthearted and serious. I think the 2003 series and tmnt 2007 film did a great job at doing that with a good mix of action, drama and comic relief. I also thought seasons 1 and 8 of the 1987 cartoon did this well too.

I'm not a fan of the dark/brooding superheroes either in recent films such as The Dark Knight. I prefer the way they're protrayed in older films like Batman 1989 and Spiderman 2.

Last edited by Wesley; 08-01-2016 at 09:28 AM.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:48 AM   #17
Mew
Banned

The 2003 series is a nice mix, well it was before Fast Forward. :/
Mew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:41 AM   #18
ZariusTwo
Overlord

4Kids got the tone right for a bit with some of it's Mirage adaptations, but that show went down it's own path very quickly.
ZariusTwo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 11:38 AM   #19
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

There's lighthearted, and then there's inept.
The former is great, especially when dealing with characters like Michaelangelo. The latter...is never good. ESPECIALLY when dealing with characters like Michaelangelo.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 03:58 PM   #20
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
There's lighthearted, and then there's inept.
The former is great, especially when dealing with characters like Michaelangelo. The latter...is never good. ESPECIALLY when dealing with characters like Michaelangelo.
Yeah I mean humour is necessary but it needs the right type of humour. I really didn't find any of the humour in the 2003 series funny at all. The FW show got the humour right more times than some people care to admit but the show suffered from not having more intricate storytelling. If you can do good storytelling and humour you've got a perfect show.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote