The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Why don't the TMNT use guns?
Splinter made them not 4 14.81%
They don't like them 7 25.93%
They look at guns as "cheating" 4 14.81%
They haven't found the right ones 1 3.70%
They will, at times 8 29.63%
Other reason: _________ 3 11.11%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-15-2019, 01:06 PM   #61
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Salk View Post
What are silencers like in comics?
Being print, I guess they're totally silent.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 02:40 PM   #62
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
In many TMNT universes, it seems like "bullets" and other blaster projectiles moves so slow they can be blocked/deflected by swords! So maybe they just aren't worth it.
They're usually not loaded strong enough. Bebop and Rocksteady probably mess things up. Also, the Technodrome is often stuck and running out of energy, so they probably have to save loading batteries.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 04:05 PM   #63
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
In many TMNT universes, it seems like "bullets" and other blaster projectiles moves so slow they can be blocked/deflected by swords! So maybe they just aren't worth it.
Either that, or the turtles have superhuman reflexes which allow them to dodge and deflect bullets.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 04:07 PM   #64
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Either that, or the turtles have superhuman reflexes which allow them to dodge and deflect bullets.
We're talking about their weapons, not their bodies.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:50 AM   #65
slingtheory
Stone Warrior

I voted they dont like them but I think it's a combination of that and splinter made them not to. In most universes thier training is about teaching them to defend themselves from a world that would be hostile to them based on thier appearance. In those universes thier m.o. is simple protection and defense both for themselves and others/the city (or the world) depending on the story. They dont want to actually have to kill anybody intentionally and that's all guns are good for.
In the context of mirage yeah they were trained to kill but I still think they have an aversion to casually doing it. I actually do think it comes down to honor in a way. It's one thing to be in a fight for your life and ending another as a consequence of straight up superior physical combat skills. Its another to simply point aim and pull a trigger. I imagine that for them of you're going to result to ending someone's existence it should mean something and it should be hard to do. Just look at donnie's reaction in city at war. Dudes seen visceral violence and death before. Why would he be so disgusted if not for both the casual ending of life with the most minimal effort possible and his own shame at having to result to that to save his own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Punisher, goes without saying. Captain America, at times. Bucky Barnes/Winter Soldier, of course. Almost every Image character ever, including Spawn and Savage Dragon. Rocket Raccoon. Wild Dog. Jonah Hex. Judge Dredd. Green Lantern Simon Baz. Star-Lord. Black Widow. Cable. Bishop.

And so on and so on.
Context though. A few of those were soldiers/spies whose training would've unavoidably consisted of learning to use firearms for the defense.
Alot of the others are from the 90's when
comics were going through thier edgy EXTREME phase and a character wasnt cool unless they were a walking armory

Jonah hex is a cowboy

I've heard judge dredd described as a parody of American comics and imagery

Starlords guns dont shoot bullets

What other options does Rocket Racoon have. Bite you and give you rabies?

Last edited by slingtheory; 07-16-2019 at 08:31 AM.
slingtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 05:38 PM   #66
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Silencers aren't like in the movies. They're still audible; they don't just go "pfff."
I already know that, but since turtles are Hollywood ninjas, they can use Hollywood silencers.

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 01:49 AM   #67
Ninjinister
無問題

Old 07-18-2019, 03:12 AM   #68
The Turtle Terminator
Mad Scientist

Ninjas. How many militarised ninjas do you know?
Old 07-18-2019, 03:38 AM   #69
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

One of the more famous ninja gun use is Sugitani Zenjubō a Koga Shinobi, who used 2 Arquebuses in his assination attempt on the daimyo Oda Nobunaga around 1571

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Turtle Terminator View Post
Ninjas. How many militarised ninjas do you know?
all of them

Last edited by Candy Kappa; 07-18-2019 at 03:51 AM.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 09:09 AM   #70
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Most kids cartoons with guns just use 'stun' laser guns. They were the perfect excuse so the few times the turtles actually do get blasted it can just knock them back or temporarily knock them out without the need to having to deal with issues like blood loss and removing bullets.

I like how the big bad guys always had to 'remember to set their guns to stun'.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 09:14 AM   #71
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Most kids cartoons with guns just use 'stun' laser guns. They were the perfect excuse so the few times the turtles actually do get blasted it can just knock them back or temporarily knock them out without the need to having to deal with issues like blood loss and removing bullets.

I like how the big bad guys always had to 'remember to set their guns to stun'.
Actually that's a good point, so far as the toons go, I don't think they aren't allowed to use real guns. (Ciro had said for 2012 anyway when talking about Don Vizioso in his art book)
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 04:30 PM   #72
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
Actually that's a good point, so far as the toons go, I don't think they aren't allowed to use real guns. (Ciro had said for 2012 anyway when talking about Don Vizioso in his art book)
Yeah depending on the cartoon, the villains have a better chance of actually hitting their target if they use stun' laser or knockout beans or whatever than if they use actual bullets. I think Bebop and Rocksteady used bullets in season 1 but they never hit their target.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 01:34 PM   #73
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
The Evil Turtles in the Fleetway Comics are seen robbing banks with rifles
I miss Fleetway's comics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Being print, I guess they're totally silent.
Apart from the victim going "Ugghh" of course.

Quote:
Yeah depending on the cartoon, the villains have a better chance of actually hitting their target if they use stun' laser or knockout beans or whatever than if they use actual bullets. I think Bebop and Rocksteady used bullets in season 1 but they never hit their target.
They obviously took lessons at the Galactic Empire School of Target Practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
There's even a red sky episode where Raphael(I think) suggested them to use laser blasters to fight Dregg, but he never learned to aim and shoot properly.
Never works y'know. Take it from the Brigadier:

pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 03:46 AM   #74
Overlord

Rocksteady

Quote:
I think only Rocksteady did.
Old 07-20-2019, 04:31 AM   #75
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
I think only Rocksteady did.
That, and Shredder using a pistol in the Muckman episode are the only instances of real life handguns being used in the Original Cartoon.

If they did hit their targets though as intended, the writers would probably make them only temporarily stunning, like all other laser weapons showcased throughout the series, in order to keep things reasonably consistent, and avoid angry parents.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
Old 07-20-2019, 10:33 AM   #76
Overlord

Mean Machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
That, and Shredder using a pistol in the Muckman episode are the only instances of real life handguns being used in the Original Cartoon..
The bank robbers used them in Mean Machines.
Old 07-20-2019, 02:21 PM   #77
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
The bank robbers used them in Mean Machines.
Ah yes, I forgot about that.

There was also a season 3 epiode which showcased some tv show within the show character (one of the turtles in military gear), running around and firing a machine gun.