The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > 4Kids TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 05-25-2006, 03:33 PM   #1
Emmanuel Cruz
Random Punk

The Mystery of "Insane in the Membrane" Solved

Yep, the censors once again cop out. As a big fan of classic cartoons (Looney Tunes, Popeye, Tom and Jerry, etc.) anytime the censors strike, it bugs me a lot.

www.ninjaturtles.com

TMNT cartoon series producer Lloyd Goldfine sent in the following info regarding why the episode "Insane in the Membrane" did not air on 4Kids TV in the USA (it has aired in Australia and a few other countries):

"The final edited and mixed version of the notorious 'Insane in the Membrane' was deemed unsuitable for air by Fox Broadcast Standards and Practices. Apparently, in between the time the episode was written, storyboarded, animated and edited (all stages approved by Fox BS&P), and the time the show was mixed for air, there was a change of personnel in the Fox BS&P offices, and no one involved in the original approvals was still employed at Fox. Upon seeing the episode, they were said to be 'horrified' and that there was no way they could air the episode. I'm not sure I disagree with them - had there been BS&P comments earlier in the process, we certainly would have handled the show differently. But as it was approved at every stage, we went full steam ahead. In the end, I was told it was bad judgment on my part... so there you have it.

I believe this episode will eventually be available, but plans have not been finalized."

- Lloyd
Emmanuel Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 03:56 PM   #2
Chris
Mad Scientist

Thanks for the update.

This supports my reasoning that part of the reason behind skipping The Lost Season for Fast Forward was that the Lost Season was too much for Fox censors, and this combined with better toy potential from FF paved the way for the episodes being scrapped.

Indeed in this thread Boardman says that, in his opinion, the Lost Season was "certainly the most intense arc the Turtles ever had".
http://www.superherohype.com/forums/...d.php?t=228418

On page two of that thread he also says that the current idea (as of 5th May) is to release a 2 disc/12 episode set of The Lost Season. He makes no mention of how many of those episodes are new and how many are related Season 4 episodes (remember Dan did say that TLS could be as few as 10 episodes and we know they probably won't get all of Season 4 on Vols. 3.8 and 3.9). Of course he does say that's subject to change and I'm personally hoping we still get a 13 episode Lost Season.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 04:02 PM   #3
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter

*sighs* Fraking FOX sensors!!
Old 05-25-2006, 04:05 PM   #4
J Legault
Mad Scientist

Hmm, yes I knew it had to do with TV approveables.

Well I know I'll see the episode someday. Since they can't have it unaired forever. And I have no problem buying it on DVD if it will be on a DVD line up.
I got into the habbit back in 1992 or 93' when I was little. I would like to thank my 2 year older cousin for getting me in the habbit. 2001 was when I revised my knowledge on TMNT. And today I'm a bigger fan than I was years ago. I have all 3 TMNT Movies, current Toon, and old school Toon on DVD.
J Legault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 04:18 PM   #5
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

I just wish some of those Aussies who taped the show would share the wealth. I'm sure someone out there has the episode. Help your American brethren out!

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 04:20 PM   #6
Chris
Mad Scientist

I'm hoping it will be on Vol. 3.9 as that's the one that will deal with Bishop and his Mutant Outbreak.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 10:10 PM   #7
Spitfire
Writer • Director

DVD release, thats all I can say
Old 05-25-2006, 10:54 PM   #8
OldSchooler
Foot Soldier

Haha! Thank God for loose Aussie classifications!
OldSchooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 11:21 PM   #9
ThemanthatwouldbeRaphael
Banned

If I had a sword, a car, and nothing left to lose they would all be dead. Every last one of them.
ThemanthatwouldbeRaphael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 11:49 AM   #10
Buslady
WingsOfDarkness! Perkele!

whata buncha retards...
it seems to be a pretty intense ep, but hell, what was SAINW and Bad Day!
big fat cop out
Old 05-26-2006, 11:58 AM   #11
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter

Last night on FOX they aired one of the Simpson Tree House of Horrors eps.

In the ep the FOX sensor got stabbed to death by the rating's system.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:58 PM   #12
Inner City Blues
Random Punk

I hope the episode is on a DVD release then because this is ridiculous that someone felt the episode was "horrible" because kids can't deal with mature themes.

I actually like that the Lost Season is off TV because I would like the creators to do what they please. I also don't want a release early 2007 if that means stuff is rushed. I can be patient and wait for a mature full fledged storyline. I'd also like to see a storyline that helps to resolve the storylines of Hun and Karai. If we can get some straight-to-DVD seasons, I think that'd really be nice.

I think I will pass on Fast Forward now, it seems we now have a case of greedy network executives messing with a show so they can push more toys.

Perhaps we should all write letters to Lloyd Goldfine and company to tell them that their vision of the show is top notch, and they shouldn't worry about the words of Fox executives.
Old 05-26-2006, 01:04 PM   #13
ThemanthatwouldbeRaphael
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner City Blues
I hope the episode is on a DVD release then because this is ridiculous that someone felt the episode was "horrible" because kids can't deal with mature themes.

I actually like that the Lost Season is off TV because I would like the creators to do what they please. I also don't want a release early 2007 if that means stuff is rushed. I can be patient and wait for a mature full fledged storyline. I'd also like to see a storyline that helps to resolve the storylines of Hun and Karai. If we can get some straight-to-DVD seasons, I think that'd really be nice.

I think I will pass on Fast Forward now, it seems we now have a case of greedy network executives messing with a show so they can push more toys.

Perhaps we should all write letters to Lloyd Goldfine and company to tell them that their vision of the show is top notch, and they shouldn't worry about the words of Fox executives.
That's a Gribble of an Idea
Old 05-26-2006, 02:04 PM   #14
OldSchooler
Foot Soldier

Having done God knows how many research assignments on censors, classifications and violence in television, I guarantee you there would be complaints from parents on this one. Parent groups pissed and moaned about the classification for Goblet of Fire, which in my mind wasnt anywhere near as dark as it's predecessor, but this is more visually unsuitable for who we all know the target demographic is. I mean back in our day, we had Ghostbusters cartoons that showed this sort of stuff constantly (which ultimately became the reason it was cancelled), and countless villains in other shows with slightly morbid visuals, and then we had the Batman animated series come in at the decline of TMNT, so we've seen a fair amount to be able to handle it as though it were nothing, but honestly what have kids got now? Pokemon and crap like that. To go from letting your kid watch the cutesy pop anime and the like to a walking corpse fall to pieces is a fairly big step. I wouldn't pass judgement on it till you've seen it.
Old 05-26-2006, 04:36 PM   #15
ThemanthatwouldbeRaphael
Banned

That's the problem with todays parents, they're too damn sensitive. Nowadyas, you rarely get good action cartoons like you did back in the 90's. Now, and especially after 9/11, people think if a child sees something violent, it's gonna cause them to kill theyre friends, or support terroism and crap like that. That's why the only 2 good things on Saturday Mornings are Xiaolin Showdown and TMNT.

I just don't see why people can't lighten up. If theyr'e too afraid to see something dark and violent on tv, they should just change the ****ing channel and stop ruining things for the rest of us.
Old 05-26-2006, 05:26 PM   #16
J Legault
Mad Scientist

D*m straight!

People like my aunt have that kind of issues when it comes to violences in cartoons.

Kids should have the right to watch Y7 cartoons with little or no violences.
I got into the habbit back in 1992 or 93' when I was little. I would like to thank my 2 year older cousin for getting me in the habbit. 2001 was when I revised my knowledge on TMNT. And today I'm a bigger fan than I was years ago. I have all 3 TMNT Movies, current Toon, and old school Toon on DVD.
J Legault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 05:34 PM   #17
OldSchooler
Foot Soldier

Everyone here knows that isn't going to happen. This is what I'm saying. There is too much bubblegum out there for the kids brains. When we were kids we were being hit with much harder stuff than they are. The Batman is still nothing compared to Batman TAS, and Teen Titans is just swill. Look at Transformers, it's so insanely sugar-coated compared to what we had it's ludicrous. But still Parent groups are the ones that **** everything around. Look at what happened with that Muppet Xmas movie a few years ago. Snoop Dogg had like a cameo appearance and said one line... ONE PARENT was all it took to write a letter and get him cut out of the film altogether becuase he was supposedly a "Bad influence on children and if he's in there, I won't be watching nor will my children". ********! The muppets had some people in their original shows and even guests on Sesame Street that if kids knew half of what they got up to outside of making movies, or half the movies they make, they'd make Snoop look relatively tame (then at least). So I will reiterate...

If this episode had've gone to air, there would have been complaints. If one parent with the same mind that got The Real Ghostbusters cancelled or Snoop Dogg cut out of a Muppet Movie had seen this, there would have been trouble. I guarantee. We might not think it's that bad an episode and that kids should be able to handle it. Sure some might, but some might not, and once you've seen the episode, and you sit back and REALLY, REALLY think about it, you'd be surprised how dark it truly is. I promise you, it leaves Same As It Never Was floating face down.
Old 05-26-2006, 06:30 PM   #18
Stephen
Hench Mutant

We'd probably have gotten the episode in the UK by now, but CITV channel seem to be showing endless re-runs of "Cousin Sid" - "Samurai Tourist"
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 08:18 PM   #19
Inner City Blues
Random Punk

I think the answer is a new network is needed outside of the confines of network television and Cartoon Network. I've always felt something more adult was needed, but not like Adult Swim (which I think is complete crap, except for The Boondocks).
Old 05-26-2006, 10:24 PM   #20
ThemanthatwouldbeRaphael
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterSplinter
Everyone here knows that isn't going to happen. This is what I'm saying. There is too much bubblegum out there for the kids brains. When we were kids we were being hit with much harder stuff than they are. The Batman is still nothing compared to Batman TAS, and Teen Titans is just swill. Look at Transformers, it's so insanely sugar-coated compared to what we had it's ludicrous. But still Parent groups are the ones that **** everything around. Look at what happened with that Muppet Xmas movie a few years ago. Snoop Dogg had like a cameo appearance and said one line... ONE PARENT was all it took to write a letter and get him cut out of the film altogether becuase he was supposedly a "Bad influence on children and if he's in there, I won't be watching nor will my children". ********! The muppets had some people in their original shows and even guests on Sesame Street that if kids knew half of what they got up to outside of making movies, or half the movies they make, they'd make Snoop look relatively tame (then at least). So I will reiterate...

If this episode had've gone to air, there would have been complaints. If one parent with the same mind that got The Real Ghostbusters cancelled or Snoop Dogg cut out of a Muppet Movie had seen this, there would have been trouble. I guarantee. We might not think it's that bad an episode and that kids should be able to handle it. Sure some might, but some might not, and once you've seen the episode, and you sit back and REALLY, REALLY think about it, you'd be surprised how dark it truly is. I promise you, it leaves Same As It Never Was floating face down.
I just think it's stupid to wory about a cartoon when theres much more things to worry about. Kids see violence in the real world all the time, I doubt something on t.v. would have anymore effect.

I'm actually proud of Peter Laird and the writters. If they can make an episode that scared the censors, then it's furthur more proof that TMNT is one of the greatest cartoons ever.

Quote:
I think the answer is a new network is needed outside of the confines of network television and Cartoon Network. I've always felt something more adult was needed, but not like Adult Swim (which I think is complete crap, except for The Boondocks).
If you got the money and skill to do it, then go for it.

And Adult Swim pwns all.