The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: What is YOUR level of enthusiasm for the upcoming show?
Hyped about it? 8 9.76%
Cautiously optimistic about it? 53 64.63%
Might let your children watch it? 7 8.54%
Let it die a short or quick death in the fires of hell!? 14 17.07%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-18-2017, 02:56 PM   #61
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter the boss View Post
I HAVE SEEN the designs. They're the reasons why I won't watch it. The show just doesn't appeal to me.
Whatever you saw aren't the real designs, lol.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 03:35 PM   #62
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter the boss View Post
I HAVE SEEN the designs. They're the reasons why I won't watch it. The show just doesn't appeal to me.
You have seen one "leak" which may well be fake. Sad!

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 06:53 PM   #63
drag0nfeathers
Stone Warrior

The only designs I've seen leaked what so ever is just the new logo which ultimately tells nothing about the actual character design or the show in general sooooo... I think you're jumping the gun unless you have some kind of "in" with Nick or the creators that we're unaware of.

Thank you to evan2000 for the AWESOME gif! <3
drag0nfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:07 PM   #64
DevilSpooky
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
Let me flat out, seriously ask; who here is ready to hate on the show automatically, just because of the 'mysticism' thing?
I will give anything TMNT a chance, and I'll still watch it from starting to end, the mysticism doesn't bother me that much, nor the designs, what will kill this show for me it's the humor, if it's anything close to Teen Titans GO, Adventure Time, or the Team Up shorts it will be an instant dislike and won't even bother with it until it's done, then I'll just binge watch it all and get it over with and put it next to FW and Next Mutation on the "glad it's over" pile.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:33 PM   #65
CyberCubed
Overlord

The original cartoon is not a "glad it's over" as it's rewatched and revisited 20 years after it ended in 1996. It will never be over.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:45 PM   #66
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!

Pretty low. I've got nothing to base a firm opinion on, but I enjoyed the 2012 series quite a bit (not perfect, but its strengths outweighed its weaknesses) and I feel like next year is a really quick turnover for me to get invested in a whole new iteration. Too quick. We'll see how I feel next year, though.

All said, I'm kind of feeling ready to let the franchise rest for a while, aside from the comics. On the whole it feels like TMNT's in one of its "cooling off" periods. I know those damned Bay movies drained a ton of my enthusiasm for the property, even though I tried to just dismiss/ignore them, and the rumours that this show is going to emulate its designs, if true, just strikes me as idiotic and off-putting.

I always want to like TMNT stuff, so I'll give it a shot, but I'm just not excited for a new Turtles show like I was leading up to 2003 or 2012, and I honestly won't feel bad about giving it a pass if it doesn't grab me. I'm just not feeling invested like that anymore. I've got tons of TMNT media I love and can re-read/watch/etc any time, and at this point I'm happy with that.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:23 PM   #67
DevilSpooky
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The original cartoon is not a "glad it's over" as it's rewatched and revisited 20 years after it ended in 1996. It will never be over.
It's a personal opinion, as in, I've watched it all from start to finish once and probably won't ever do it again, I'm not talking about others, I'm talking about myself...
Old 10-19-2017, 06:08 AM   #68
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilSpooky View Post
It's a personal opinion, as in, I've watched it all from start to finish once and probably won't ever do it again, I'm not talking about others, I'm talking about myself...
some people don't like person opinion around here ;o). don't worry, you get used to it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry View Post
I always want to like TMNT stuff, so I'll give it a shot, but I'm just not excited for a new Turtles show like I was leading up to 2003 or 2012, and I honestly won't feel bad about giving it a pass if it doesn't grab me. I'm just not feeling invested like that anymore. that.
I've felt the same way ever since the corporate buy out. the only tmnt i look forwad too on a monthly basis is done by IDW. the rest just comes off as 'meh'..
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 10:52 AM   #69
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

I think the reason a lot of you are against this project so far has more to do with what you're hearing about the further kiddification. If it's a Nick show or a cartoon it is obviously not going to be what a lot of us who prefer the more serious tone want. 2k12 certainly wasn't. At best we get a TMNT show done with the respect and care of Batman The Animated Series from the early 90s.

I think we could all probably agree that if we got a balanced show that had a little cartoon humor with the pathos and depth of BTAS we would ALL be happy.

As far as the mysticism, that sounds like change for change's sake. I'm not positive about it!
PizzaPower1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 11:45 AM   #70
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
It's highly rewatchable, at least the better episodes.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:38 PM   #71
DevilSpooky
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaPower1985 View Post
I think the reason a lot of you are against this project so far has more to do with what you're hearing about the further kiddification. If it's a Nick show or a cartoon it is obviously not going to be what a lot of us who prefer the more serious tone want. 2k12 certainly wasn't. At best we get a TMNT show done with the respect and care of Batman The Animated Series from the early 90s.

I think we could all probably agree that if we got a balanced show that had a little cartoon humor with the pathos and depth of BTAS we would ALL be happy.

As far as the mysticism, that sounds like change for change's sake. I'm not positive about it!
I'm ok with it being for kids, It's them being stupid that has me worried, I just despise stupid humor like Adventure Time, Teen Titans GO and the like, I just do...

Quote:
It's highly rewatchable, at least the better episodes.
What? The first 5? Again, opinions, for me FW is just way too stupid, a shame really because it's the Turtles I grew up with, and to this day they're still my favorite ones design wise, I just despise all the nonsense, monster of the week structure and all the Saturday morning villains getting blown into the sunset at every episode, I like a ongoing narrative, not random episodes that constantly contradict each other.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:47 PM   #72
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
What? The first 5? Again, opinions, for me FW is just way too stupid, a shame really because it's the Turtles I grew up with, and to this day they're still my favorite ones design wise, I just despise all the nonsense, monster of the week structure and all the Saturday morning villains getting blown into the sunset at every episode, I like a ongoing narrative, not random episodes that constantly contradict each other.
It's more like, "scheme of the week" rather than monster of the week. Either way that's the way most 80's cartoons were written. They're just fun adventures for the Turtles to go on every week or stop sci-fi plans from taking over the world. And the parody of old 50's movie plots and the villains being campy is part of the fun. Also outside some weak episodes, I never thought the plots were any weirder or dumber than any other TMNT universes. All the TMNT cartoons basically re-tread the same storylines in just different ways over and over with slight variations.

We've had two continuity heavy TMNT cartoons in a row. I wouldn't mind if this new one is a bit episodic, although I expect there to be a narrative as well.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:16 PM   #73
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
I wasn't even interested in the 2012 Nick cartoon.

Yeah, I might buy some of the toys for my kids or let them watch it, but that's it.
I was kinda hyped about the 2012 cartoon since I was afraid the property would hibernate again after the 2k3 series was over like it did once FW series ended... yes I know there was The Next Mutation but screw that.

But then I saw the designs, the animation and such for the Nick turtles and watched a few of the earlier episodes and I couldn't really get into it... so I watched like 3 episodes of it and that's it.

Quote:
I think age also has a lot to do with it. Most of us were still teenagers or young kids when the 2k3 series came out, (hell, I was only 16 when the 2k3 series was announced!), and the Nick show started 5 years ago in 2012 and again we were all of course 5 years younger than we are now.

Nowadays most of the TMNT fanbase is in their late 20's or early 30's, so we're all older and get less hyped over kids cartoons. I imagine though the younger fans whose first show was the Nick cartoon might be more interested.
Well, yeah. It was both fun and a also a bit of a torture to wait for new 2k3 episodes and seasons.

As for the Nick series... hard to believe it's ending/ended already. I remember the year of 2012 as if it was yesterday. I think I lost a bit of track of time since then.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 09:04 PM   #74
sdp
-

I'm hyped to see what it's going to be, though I know it may very well suck.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 04:13 PM   #75
CyberCubed
Overlord

All the cartoons were written for kids but aimed at adults, like Disney movies. All the jokes in the Nick cartoon would fly over kids heads.
Old 10-21-2017, 01:34 AM   #76
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
All the cartoons were written for kids but aimed at adults, like Disney movies. All the jokes in the Nick cartoon would fly over kids heads.
I can't comment on the other toons yet but Nick did have kid humour, (they had to as it was a kids show and even young kids like it) it gave some balance with the dark stuff but yes, agreed, there were a also lot of things in it to that would go over kids heads. The show did have adults in mind too, or it seemed that way to me, they know there's an adult following.
Disney and Dreamworks try to create family movies, trying to balance enough to keep both interested.

Last edited by newfan; 10-21-2017 at 01:44 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 12:27 PM   #77
CyberCubed
Overlord

There's also a lot of references to old stuff, like the "Mortal Kombat" fighting scene in the beginning of the space ep of the Triceraton arena when they were in the hologram dojo, with Shredder as Shao Khan in the background and Michelangelo performing a "balloon-ality." lol.
Old 10-21-2017, 02:47 PM   #78
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I wish there were more jokes subtlety intended for the older viewers to get, that seemed to be mostly put aside after a while.

Out the whole series, the best one imo... The alien sea monster. The looks on the Turtles faces, all of them frozen and completely aware of what's happening... Still one of the funniest moments in the series to me.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 02:54 PM   #79
CyberCubed
Overlord

There was also the episode Michelangelo was mixing formula's in Don's lab to cure him, I think it was in "The Creeping Doom" episode. The Turtles asked Mikey what he used, and he said, "Well I used urinalnite, analite, etc"

I don't know how that got past the censors. Especially since his voice actor put emphasis on the word, "anal." LOL
Old 10-21-2017, 04:25 PM   #80
victory_angel
Foot Elite

Quote:
There was also the episode Michelangelo was mixing formula's in Don's lab to cure him, I think it was in "The Creeping Doom" episode. The Turtles asked Mikey what he used, and he said, "Well I used urinalnite, analite, etc"

I don't know how that got past the censors. Especially since his voice actor put emphasis on the word, "anal." LOL
Actually, that was in the War on Dimension X where Mikey was messing with the retromutagen that Donnie had created. Then after the retromutagen was contaminated, Donnie is checking it out to see what was different and finds that Mikey has actually improved it making it super-retromutagen.

So he asks Mikey what chemicals he used, Mikey didn't know the chemical names off the top of his head so he just started making up chemical names such as Urilnalight, Analight, and things like that.

I think the most adult joke they ever had was after Donnie and Raph have reunited with Mikey after so many years of being apart from them. He takes them to the restaurant that he has set up as his home base and telling them that they had plenty of water. So Raph picks up one of the water jugs and starts drinking from it only to realize this is not water. And then when he demands to know what that was we see Mikey conveniently relieving himself into one of the jugs before saying "The water is actually over there"

And of course the moment in Meet Mondo Geko where Mikey is bored so he checks out what his brothers are doing. Leo is training, Donnie is in his lab, and Raph is in his room "Playing with his action figures" but the whole moment is played off as though Mikey caught him in the act of something else. Much like the infamous "I'm just polishing my sai" scene in the 2k3.