The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 07-08-2013, 02:55 PM   #281
The Stryker
Stupid Rich

I f*cking LOVE the NBA 2K series. Kiss my butt.

@~<3 Mom~@
The Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:12 PM   #282
Ecto Jedi
Denki Wo Kitte Kudasai

I've been haunting eBay for the past few weeks now. Funny thing is, I keep forgetting all about Craigslist and Kijiji. That's where I bought my Super Nintendo to begin with -- I can't imagine what the shipping charges must be like for a package that big -- and SNES game lots get offered up all the time.

Just arranged for a pickup of Street Fighter II: The World Warrior for $5.
Ecto Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:34 PM   #283
Ninjinister
無問題

Dug up some relics whilst cleaning last night

Some of this is super hard to tell, so here we go:
  • Guilty Gear Petit (Wonderswan)
  • Hellboy Director's Cut (PSP UMD movie)
  • The King of Fighters '95 (Game Boy)
  • Mortal Kombat: Tournament Edition (Game Boy Advance)
  • Dissidia: Final Fantasy (PSP)
  • The King of Fighters 2000 (Game Boy bootleg)
  • Pokémon Puzzle Collection (Pokémon Mini)
  • Pokémon Pinball Mini (Pokémon Mini)
  • Pokémon Zany Cards (Pokémon Mini)
  • Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo: Bakuto Hajike Taisen (GBA)
  • Pokémon Mini unit (for some reason it's in a spare Pinball Mini box instead of its own? o.O)
  • Fighting Simulator: 2-in-1 Flying Warriors (GB)

All SNES
  • Space Invaders
  • Kirby's Avalanche
  • Street Fighter Zero 2
  • Pokémon Stadium (bootleg)
  • Street Combat
  • DragonBall Z: Super Butouden 2
  • DragonBall Z: Hyper Dimension
  • Picachu <sic>(bootleg)
  • Super Mario All-Stars + World
Old 07-12-2013, 08:54 PM   #284
Ecto Jedi
Denki Wo Kitte Kudasai

Picked up that copy of Street Fighter II for a steal at $5. Here they all are:

Spoiler:

The Simpsons: Bart's Nightmare should be arriving sometime next week. Tomorrow I travel North to pick up four carts -- F-Zero, Super Ghouls 'n' Ghosts, Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, and Gradius III -- for $20 total.

Thank you, Kijiji.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:01 PM   #285
Ecto Jedi
Denki Wo Kitte Kudasai

You're goddamn right:

Spoiler:

$5 each. Credit the lovely old man up North who had no real clue about the game collecting scene, but just wanted to get rid of his son's old SNES games. Unfortunately by the time I stumbled upon the listing Yoshi's Island had already been sold (for $10). He also sold one of the two SNES Battletoads games (I'm still not sure which, they weren't pictured), for the mind-blowing price of $5.

These four carts were littered with gunk and old stickers, but a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and some isopropyl alcohol was all it took to make them look and work like new again.

Here we are:

Street Fighter II: The World Warrior [purchased]
Street Fighter II Turbo
Super Street Fighter II

Mortal Kombat
Mortal Kombat II

Killer Instinct

Super Mario All-Stars
[purchased]

The Simpsons: Bart's Nightmare [purchased]

Hit the Ice [purchased]

ClayFighter 2: Judgment Clay [purchased]

TMNT IV: Turtles in Time
TMNT: Tournament Fighters

Battletoads & Double Dragon: The Ultimate Team
[purchased]
Battletoads in Battlemaniacs

X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse

Judge Dredd
[purchased]

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers [purchased]
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie

Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts
[purchased]

Super Tennis

Star Fox
[acquired via Peanut]

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island

Super Punch-Out!!

WWF Royal Rumble

F-Zero
[purchased]

Gradius III [purchased]

Last edited by Ecto Jedi; 07-13-2013 at 04:20 PM.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:17 PM   #286
Peanut
Second Gear

Beautiful haul, man! I'm happy to see you score such a great deal on some awesome games. I love me some Super Ghouls n' Ghosts, but god damn that NA art is something else.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:50 PM   #287
Ecto Jedi
Denki Wo Kitte Kudasai

I haven't really begun playing Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts yet, but what little I've played has been kicking my ass royally. Those jumping mechanics are murder.

Capcom seems to have been responsible for some particularly bad NA cover art, eh? Even the Street Fighter II artwork is a little weird. Three fighters doing battle on the cover -- which never happens in the game -- with Chun Li squirming away from a supersized Blanka.

Also:

Spoiler:

The last of the nostalgia purchases has arrived from Denver.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:55 PM   #288
Peanut
Second Gear

Niiiiiiiiiiiice! I've actually never played that particular Simpson game. Tell me how it is once you've dropped some time on it.

This is my latest haul and I'm incredibly excited about all of it.

Spoiler:

I actually got a bunch more Dreamcast games as well, but I didn't include them, Zombie Revenge being the most prominent. They're all brand new copies, still sealed, which makes me even more hype. The guy who sold me the Dreamcast also hooked me up with Stuntmaster, which is among my favourite PS1 games ever for reasons I can't quite put my finger on.

I picked up Dream Master and Gargoyle's Quest in a package for nothing and I've been tripping on nostalgia playing them. Dream Master is really bringing me back in particular as it's a game I haven't played even once since I was little, which is incredibly rare for me. The Famicom game is Parodius Da!, which I've been trying to look for a deal on for what seems like forever. I snagged it on the cheap from a late night auction.

I got most of this stuff last week, but I haven't had the time to devote to sitting down with most of it, so I gave myself the day off for a little rest and I'm now going through everything.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:57 PM   #289
Super Moderator

You ever get yourself a copy of Solstice for NES? I mean, it's not rare, but it's a must-have for the collection!
愛 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:02 PM   #290
Peanut
Second Gear

Hahahaha! What a f*cking running gag that was. I've been looking for one locally forever, but I've never even seen one overpriced before. I've seen nearly everything at some point, but priced beyond a range I'm comfortable with. Solstice is one of few exceptions. I might break down and spend the $5 to buy one on eBay someday.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:05 PM   #291
Super Moderator

I still have my copy that I bought for a dollar. I pop it in every now and then. My wife once asked what it was and I said "a masterpiece of gaming."
Old 07-23-2013, 02:06 PM   #292
Peanut
Second Gear

She asked "Why is this POS NES game gold plated?" and you just looked out the window with a single tear in your eye.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:11 PM   #293
Super Moderator

I wanted to put it in a frame or encase it somehow, but never got around to it. I still want to do it someday for me.

But to stay on topic, I wish I had room to be a collector. I have the money, I just don't know where I would put it. I'm in a one-bedroom apartment right now, but in two years I should have a house, so I may start collecting then.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:02 PM   #294
Peanut
Second Gear

Yeah, that was tough for me too. I finally got the woman to cave and allow me to use our spare room as my game room and I really do find it necessary. I don't like having my weird game stuff all over the bedroom, or in the living room as it seems tasteless to me.

I honestly don't think I'd feel comfortable collecting if I didn't have this room now. I was previously putting stuff in boxes in the basement, or else in plastic containers in the closets, which is no way to do it. I don't understand people who collect sh*t just to stuff it in a box somewhere.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:31 PM   #295
Ecto Jedi
Denki Wo Kitte Kudasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
But to stay on topic, I wish I had room to be a collector. I have the money, I just don't know where I would put it. I'm in a one-bedroom apartment right now, but in two years I should have a house, so I may start collecting then.
I'm in a bachelor. The SNES and its accompanying games occupy a drawer in the kitchenette formerly reserved for cutlery.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:46 PM   #296
Peanut
Second Gear

Video games, you guys!

Spoiler:

Most mint copy of Vagrant Story I've ever seen outside of brand new copies. Finally I can find out what that f*cking game is about!
Old 07-30-2013, 11:48 AM   #297
Ecto Jedi
Denki Wo Kitte Kudasai

I remember Vagrant Story print ads from back in the day. Interesting cover art and design. Live up to the hype?
Old 07-30-2013, 06:12 PM   #298
Peanut
Second Gear

I'll let you know when I get a chance to play it. I haven't played anything but games in 10 or 15 minute chunks on my DS in awhile. It's funny, I own more games now than I ever did, but I also have less time to play them. Seems like that's always how it works.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:24 AM   #299
Ninjinister
無問題

Couldn't sleep last night so I went rooting through some more stuff. Uncovered my WonderSwan Color and N64. Been playing WSC on my work breaks today and will hook up the N64 tonight when I get home.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:28 PM   #300
Peanut
Second Gear

I've found it incredibly difficult to get into playing anything on the 64. It's the only console I hooked back up in the last few months that I haven't spent any serious time on. I tried to play some DK64 and it just felt...impossible. On the flip side, I played through Croc and a bit of Croc 2 on PS1 and though they felt antiquated it wasn't enough to make me stop playing immediately.

I've played a ton of SM64 with my nephew (had to beat Bowser twice a day for about a month) and I feel like that still holds up as a solid game, but outside of that and the obvious stuff like Zelda, I've found so little on the N64 appealing to go back to.

I've also kind of got zero interest in collecting for it very much. I think it's the only console I've never bought a game for from ebay, a flea market or thrift shop. The thing just doesn't have that great of a library and outside of imports (which I don't want to get into) there's not much meat on that bone. The only thing I would consider myself actively on the lookout for is Mystical Ninja, because I always wanted it and I've never played it.

ANYWAYS, tell me what you're into once you put some time in. I'd love to know what people are playing on their 64.

Tags
classics, nostalgia, peanut, video games