The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 03-05-2018, 07:20 PM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

What did you think the FW's series finale was going to be like?

Back when you were watching the FW series for the first time, how did you imagine it was gonna end?

I always assumed the Turtles would eventually defeat Shredder in the final episode. Perhaps even kill him... yes, I was naïve. Even after Divide and Conquer I thought "Ok, now Shredder comes back for a final episode or two and that's it".

Needless to say, if you had told me in the middle of season 3 that Shredder and Krang would eventually be replaced by a new main villain named Dregg I'd not have believed you at all lol

Btw, I have a feeling most of the original fans of this series never got to know how it ended. plenty to this day never even got to see the Red Sky episodes. By the time season 6 or 7 rolled in, the popularity of the show was falling fast, wasn't it? I'm also not so sure if the red sky seasons aired in many countries outside of USA. As we know by now, most people's memories of the FW series are from the first 3 seasons. The peak of TMNT's popularity was around the time the first movie and the first Arcade and NES games came out. So basically 1989-1990.

Last edited by Prowler; 03-05-2018 at 07:30 PM.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 07:39 PM   #2
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

When I first watched the series, I thought it was gonna end on a random episode like most cartoons did back in the day, and wasn't bothered by the idea since it was the norm everywhere.

Shredder, Krang, Bebop and Rocksteady would continue to look for power for the technodrome for all eternity and the turtles would always be there to stop them. I was pleasently surprised when I found out that the show ended on a very conclusive note, and I think its the best ending that any tmnt incarnation has to date.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 07:45 PM   #3
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
When I first watched the series, I thought it was gonna end on a random episode like most cartoons did back in the day, and wasn't bothered by the idea since it was the norm everywhere.

Shredder, Krang, Bebop and Rocksteady would continue to look for power for the technodrome for all eternity and the turtles would always be there to stop them. I was pleasently surprised when I found out that the show ended on a very conclusive note, and I think its the best ending that any tmnt incarnation has to date.
Tbh I don't recall ever thinking it'd end on a random episode one day. But I remember how the show seemed to go on forever, and when I finished Divide and Conquer and next day found out it was the very final episode of the series I was actually surprise. The show was super long. 194 episodes is a lot for a cartoon series like this.

TMNT was probably the only cartoon series that gave me that sense of comfort of not being afraid it was suddenly gonna be the last episode one day. The only time I "feared" it was gonna end was season 2's finale with the Drome sinking into the lava. That episode had a very final episode feel to it, with even the Splinter and Shredder showdown reminding me of Star Wars. But that episode was rather early in the series, considering the first 2 seasons have like 18-20 episodes combined only and the series in total has 194.
Old 03-05-2018, 08:28 PM   #4
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post

Same here.
Most cartoons I have watched just ended on random story. I didn't expected TMNT to be an exception.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 10:59 PM   #5
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Most of the season finales that the OT had work really well as series finales. S1,2,3,8,9,10 all work and it's mainly 4,5,6 that didn't really have season finales.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:44 PM   #6
CyberCubed
Overlord

Since I was watching regularly at the time I already knew about Dregg, etc.

I imagine those who stopped watching before the last few seasons would be confused.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 01:40 PM   #7
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Most of the season finales that the OT had work really well as series finales. S1,2,3,8,9,10 all work and it's mainly 4,5,6 that didn't really have season finales.
Season 9? Dregg is exposed and leaves Earth but it sure doesn't feel like a proper finale. I thought that Dregg had been wrapped and that after that episode that we'd get Shredder and Krang back, though.

Season 2 finale idd has a very final episode feeling to it, as I've said.

What about season 7's Shredder Triumphant? What did you think of that one?
Old 03-06-2018, 02:01 PM   #8
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Krang and Shredder trying to drain a power station in Japan, and repower the Technodrome. The turtles and Splinter would come to Japan and stop them. At the end, the turtles would succeed. In the final battle, Splinter would kick Shredder through a portal to Dimension X, just in time before it closes.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 02:02 PM   #9
pferreira
Foot Elite

I expected a big battle. When we got that at the end of Season 3 I was honestly stumped as to what could happen next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Planet of the Turtleoids was a season finale and was a damn good one. 6 I have no idea but 4 I guess if you watch Splinter Vanishes as the last episode of that season.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 02:33 PM   #10
CyberCubed
Overlord

Every season had a proper finale but a few:

Season 1 has a finale

Season 2 has a major finale

Season 3 has a major finale

Season 4 literally ends on a mad scientist filler episode (lol)

Season 5 ends with Planet of the Turtleoids, a pretty big ep

Season 6 ends with a random episode

Season 7 ends with a big finale, the Technodrome lost in Dimension X while Shredder/Krang are on Earth

Season 8 ends with a finale

Season 9 doesn't end of a finale, but it clearly sets up Season 10

Season 10 ends with a decent finale.

It was really only Season 4 and Season 6 that didn't end on a big episode. It seemed every other season the writers considered that possibly being the shows last season (in case the show was canceled), so they gave it a good proper ending for that point.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 09:24 AM   #11
cammy85
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
I expected a big battle. When we got that at the end of Season 3 I was honestly stumped as to what could happen next.

Planet of the Turtleoids was a season finale and was a damn good one. 6 I have no idea but 4 I guess if you watch Splinter Vanishes as the last episode of that season.
"Sleuth On The Loose" was the last episode in Season 6 and a darned epic one!! Professor von Volt + Doomsday Device + robots + competent henchmen + Miss Agatha = well-written/suspenseful finale!!

Last edited by cammy85; 03-09-2018 at 09:30 AM.
cammy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 03:16 PM   #12
Wesley
Mad Scientist

When I first watched the Fred Wolf series, I never actually thought how the cartoon could’ve ended. I assumed it ended with the season 8 episode “Enter: Krakus” in May 1995, as RTÉ Two started to rerun the entire series from the beginning in the summer of that year. It was a surprise to see seasons 9 and 10 along with “Turtle Trek” on tv a few years later in 1998. Like Prowler, I still thought there was going to be another season.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 11:13 PM   #13
ryukenden
Hench Mutant

Even though I stopped watching when Red Sky rolled around. I was hoping for one last confrontation with Shredder and the Technodrome finally destroyed similar to the end of the first Arcade game. I was hoping for Karai to appear and running the Foot in Japan. When Dregg replaced Shredder and Krang, I lost complete interest.
ryukenden is offline   Reply With Quote