The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 09-08-2014, 10:07 PM   #101
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
Oh god I hate the dub movie with an extreme passion...but I've forgotten why. I saw the original movies first though. Maybe that was why. *shrugs*

In Bokura no Wargame, Taichi was annoyed the whole time regarding Sora, so there was nothing from his side. With Sora it could've been interpreted that way. Jou/Mimi was nonexistent.

What was in the dub movie, what was there to imply the pairing?
Its been forever since I have seen the movie especially the middle segment that I only really cared about...I will go back and watch in the next x days and get back to you on that. It was something at the beginning of the segment where Tai was looking for her and she seemed to be avoiding him only to make contact at the end at the same time Joe was going to Mimi's house only to find out she was in Hawaii on vacation. It was clear that Joe was going to confess his feelings as he had a heart shaped box of candy if I recall.

I was bored and confused by the Adventure 02 segment. The whole twins of different species and Patamon and Gatomon digivolved to mega level why and never returned to such a form? I watched for Tai and Matt and the plot did not help.

I only discovered the Diaboramon segment having a follow up last year. Really good only I felt like it made the Veemon/Stingmon pair seem more important when Wargraymon/MetalGurumon should not be surpassed. Wonder if there are any more Digimon season 1 segments out there I don't know about. Digi craze did not last in me beyond season 3 and I think most of America felt the same so a lot could be out there like the Diaboramon follow up you all could point out.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:55 PM   #102
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Jou spent the movie taking his entrance exam for the school he's attending in 02 or either it was just another test. I don't fully recall. At the end he left in relief because he got through it.

The heart thing must was shown out of order. I own the original movies. When Taichi was trying to call everyone, he was wondering where Mimi was. His mother gave him a postcard from Mimi saying she was in Hawaii and they showed the mailbox at the Tachikawa home being overly stuffed. They also showed the Tachikawa heart-shaped nameplate on their apartment door falling...well that's my memory of it anyway. I may be off with the order, but it was a Taichi scene, not Jou. Either they showed it when Taichi tried calling, getting the machine or after the postcard thing.

That aside, the problem is that they combined three movies together and tried to link their plots. Like "Izzy" knowing "Willis" for the middle part of the movie I think.

Movie 3 for example with the 02 kids dealt with the abduction/disappearances of the older kids. The 02 kids had to rescue them.

Takeru and Hikari were visiting Mimi in NY. She disappeared right in front of them. Her Digivice beeped and she disappeared. Back in Japan, the same thing happened. Taichi was playing with a soccer ball and he vanished, leaving the ball eerily bouncing behind, Sora was doing ikebana (flower arranging) when she vanished, Koushirou was at home on his computer, Yamato was on his bass, and Jou was taking a test.

The thing they all had in common was that they had regular model Digivices. They were all taken to a realm and were being aged backwards. Wallace's Gumimon (I think it was) who eventually became Wendimon was infected or whatever and was trying to find Wallace. He doesn't know him older, so the older kids being aged backwards was his way of searching. Getting back to the age he was before he was separated from him because that's how he remembered him.

Movie 3 was really a stand alone, non canon film. It was promoting the golden Digimental that would eventually be seen in the show as well as Magnamon. This film came out before the show got to that point.

Oh yeah, Taichi never went looking for Sora in the original movie 2. Tai did for the middle part of the dub film? At the end of Bokura no Wargame, Taichi's email finally got through to Sora with his to the point apology (there was nothing about it that could be interpreted as romantic, 'cept for the accidental heart) and Sora accepted, calling him stupid with a laugh, and sent a photo back of her wearing the hair pins he'd given her for her birthday. Sora was offended by the present initially and was trying to approach him at times but would get mad again and decide against it.

Something interesting to note, the series show director had nothing to do with the Taichi/Sora stuff for the film. It should've never been there as well as the implied birthdate for Sora and doesn't consider that canon. The only character whose info has been revealed or implied has been Miyako (Yolei). Her blood type is AB and she's a Gemini. It was mentioned in 02 when her sisters (Chizuru and Momoe) were looking at astrology related stuff in a magazine. I'm pretty sure it's the ep where Hawkmon evolved to Aquilamon the first time.

Last edited by ssjup81; 09-08-2014 at 11:09 PM.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 02:16 AM   #103
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
And I'm sure you know some people don't like the bashing you do of some things, yet here you are playing the victim.
lmao, I'm not trying to act like some kind of victim. I'm not sitting here expecting you to feel sorry for me. I don't give a **** about that.

I'm just not going to tolerate people trying to gang up on me for daring to prefer something in my own language that I've loved since childhood. You can have your opinion, but I can tell you to piss off if you want to act like your tastes are any more deep and meaningful than mine. It's a franchise of boys-marketed Tamagotchis for Christ's sake.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:38 AM   #104
Allio
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stryker View Post
Yo, for real. 02's EVERYTHING was really bad.

F*ck Veemon and his lame ass self.
I liked Magnamon

but then again, I just love all the Royal Knights. Hoping to see Jesmon/Gankoomon in the new adventure series
Old 09-09-2014, 10:54 AM   #105
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allio View Post
I liked Magnamon

but then again, I just love all the Royal Knights. Hoping to see Jesmon/Gankoomon in the new adventure series
To be honest, I liked the music for the series more than the series itself. lol. I still enjoy listening to the soundtracks to Adventure/Adventure 02 occasionally. I always liked the bgm. I also really liked the characters.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:15 AM   #106
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

I really liked 02's villains. Oikawa's end still makes me tear up. The armour evolution concept was also really nice, the Digimon designs are still some of my favourites.

As an adult, I can't say I'm a huge fan of 02's scattered writing direction, but I still find it fun and entertaining. The only problem is that it's harder to really defend it because it's so flawed.
Old 09-09-2014, 12:22 PM   #107
Leofan26
Mad Scientist

Wow, didn't realize how much of a difference the dub was compared to the original flick. What the heck? Toying around with Sora x Tai fans hearts dub

Question : How popular was Tai x Sora compared to Matt x Sora in Japan? I always thought it was more popular. Man was I disappointed when it didn't happen

I know T.K x Karai was a big thing in both 01 and 02.

Don't know about Joe x Mimi. I was rooting for the pairing but alas I think she ended up with that Michal Guy who was introduced to us in 02. Her kid looks so much like him.

I know back when 02 was airing the dub changed a lot of what originally was done just cuz of the hatred the guy had towards Davis, that pissed me off

I am curious how they'll handle the 02 cast while at least Tai is in the main cast again and resumes his role of leadership.
Leofan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 01:26 PM   #108
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leofan26 View Post
Wow, didn't realize how much of a difference the dub was compared to the original flick. What the heck? Toying around with Sora x Tai fans hearts dub
It's a cute pair, but if anything, it could've been interpreted that Sora had feelings for him since she became so offended in the first place, but from Taichi's side, there was definitely nothing. If I recall correctly, when he ordered Koushirou to call Sora, I think he was like, "You made her mad, didn't you?" lol. I could be remembering that wrong though.
Quote:
Question : How popular was Tai x Sora compared to Matt x Sora in Japan? I always thought it was more popular. Man was I disappointed when it didn't happen
It was popular, definitely. The two childhood friends growing up together and eventually getting together is a popular concept. lol. Taichi and Sora have known each other since Hikarigaoka (Heighton View Terrace I think it was). They went to Daisan Elementary School and both were in class 1-2 (year 1, class 2) and ended up together again when their families moved to Odaiba and going to Odaiba Elementary and sharing the same class again. This was mentioned in Adventure.

Taichi and Sora were in their first year of elementary school (Daisan, 1-2)
Yamato attended Daiyon Elementary, first year.
Jou was a year 2 student at Daigo Elementary.
Mimi attended Wakaba Yochien (Yochien = kindergarten)

The only character whose school wasn't mentioned was Koushirou's because he didn't live in Hikarigaoka long compared to the other characters, and when asked why, he couldn't give a straight answer, but he did say he was a kindergarten student. Makes me wonder where his family lived before the apartment in Hikarigaoka.
Quote:
I know T.K x Karai was a big thing in both 01 and 02.
Yeah. For me I didn't mind the pairing...I had a prob with some of the fans that were Daisuke/Davis bashers. Some fans also got a fic of mine taken down by reporting it and lying over the reason.

The fic was done (unfinished) about 12 years ago. Here's the synopsis...
Spoiler:
This fic is going to look at Takari in a more negative light. You have to admit, Takari is a bit overly praised by the fandom, which is why I decided to try and write something a bit different, and believe me, this is different for a person like me, as I have written the two paired up before. For this fic, though, I'm not sure if I want to keep the two together or not, but this does start off as a Takari.

Oh, and something else, I don't hate Takari at all...just not into the pairing as much as I used to be due to its being so common now, so if you have a problem with this story's premise, I advise you not to read it, as the pair will not be happy in their relationship, but neither realizes it or notices it because they're both hiding behind their masks and staying with one another for the sake of the other person, if that makes sense. They're together because they feel obligated to be as people treat them as if they're destined to be together.
. I was flamed by adamant fans of the pair, while others liked the premise.
Quote:
Don't know about Joe x Mimi. I was rooting for the pairing but alas I think she ended up with that Michal Guy who was introduced to us in 02. Her kid looks so much like him.
Personally, I feel he looks like Mimi, but who knows and if she did end up with Michael, I'm pretty sure they would've mentioned it since he wasn't an unknown character.

I like Jou x Mimi, but I simply love and adore Koushirou x Mimi. I still have no idea why.
Quote:
I know back when 02 was airing the dub changed a lot of what originally was done just cuz of the hatred the guy had towards Davis, that pissed me off
Yup, which is why I stopped watching 02's dub. I couldn't take the forced bashing with Davis. It always felt unnatural and off...lo and behold, I was right. lol

There is a dub addition that comes to mind. The ep where Kari was trapped in the Digital World. That was also the episode where Yamato was forced to accept a date with Jun (Daisuke's sister) and where "Matt" had to hurry back because he left "Mimi on the phone". *Sighs*. I hate dub additions like that. For the original, Yamato was in a hurry to get back because he had to cook dinner for his father. Yamato's actually a good cook, which Takeru compliments and references. It was also shown that he was a good cook back in Adventure when he was working at the diner to help out Jou...well, to me he came across as being a decent cook.

There's another one that ep that kind of bothered me...Izzy. When they got back, Koushirou was sitting there waiting for them, disgruntled and upset.

For the dub, "Izzy" was upset with them because no one had informed him on what had happened with "Kari" and how "Tai" knew and how "Matt" knew, etc. He came across as a whiner to me for that, which was OOC to me. For the original, Koushirou was upset with them for going to the Digital World without someone staying back to monitor the computer because a teacher or anyone could have come in and seen the gate up there or either shut the computer off, stranding them in the Digital World. He was bothered by their carelessness.
Quote:
I am curious how they'll handle the 02 cast while at least Tai is in the main cast again and resumes his role of leadership.
I couldn't see them not having them around. I hope they use them.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:31 PM   #109
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leofan26 View Post
Yeeeeah I absolutely cannot defend the dub movie. It's awful. I still enjoy it, but only ironically because damn dub those are some jokes you're jamming into this thing!

But to be fair, I think the biggest problems with the dub movie lie in the fact that they were trying to connect two movies together like that so that it made sense, and combining those two movies [Our War Game and Hurricane Touchdown I think are their names? I haven't gotten around to actually seeing the subbed version of either since they're non-canon and I don't know if I can deal with Diaboromon not going "Hello! Hello! Hello!" DOES THAT HAPPEN IN THE ORIGINAL TOO I LAUGHED MY ASS OFF CAN YOU TELL ME WHAT A SEMICONDUCTOR IS] wasn't something Jeff Nimoy wanted to do in the first place.

He was forced to do a lot of **** he didn't want to for Digimon's dub. That's why Tamers was done so well -- because it was the dub where the censors fell asleep and Nimoy got to do more of what he wanted.

On a totally unrelated and slightly nitpicky note, the first series is just Adventure, not 01; the second one was named 02 because it takes place in the year 2002, which was basically twenty minutes into the future -- careful that's a TVTropes link -- when it was released.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:07 PM   #110
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I honestly got the impression that Tai liked Sora and that they were meant to be. Its funny how a funny thought of her with bad boy best friend Matt ending up with her instead actually happening. I suppose that was mistranslated in the dub of the Adventure series and second movie segment.

Were there more segments that suggested Matt/Sora before Matt asked her to one of his concert and getting approval from Tai? There was watching over Karai before Phantomon took her and another when Matt helped her find herself as he and Joe just did but Joe was in the mix too not just the two of them bonding. Perhaps American audiences are lead to believe the Tai/Sora relationship over the Matt/Sora relationship as an issue of dubbing.

It was not long ago I learned it was three short films woven together. I can tell the Adventure 02 segment is out of continuity. It was not the fact I prefer Tai and Matt to T.K. and Karai its just the segment was just boring and confusing if anything.

I am curious, while I see a few things that make Adventure 02 flawed I would like to see your list of what makes it flawed.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:19 PM   #111
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

IIRC, a little more Taiora subtext was added to the dub, but Sorato was meant to be endgame all along. This Sorato blog talks a lot about that, and there was even some interviews, but god I can't be arsed to look through the walls of text to find it. I can understand both ships, but I just don't care enough about those ships to really go either way.

In regards to 02, and I say this as a huge fan of it, the flaws I feel lie in the scattered writing direction. There simply wasn't enough episodes for them to implement all the things they wanted to do. That really strange Dark Ocean that appeared in Episode 13 was hardly elaborated upon after that because Konaka created it, and they REALLY should have tried to do more with it...

Introducing Jogressing was a cool concept, but I feel that it was wasted potential, because they could have written in combinations for all the Digimon and the kids could mix and match for different scenarios, similar to what they did with armour evolving, AND it would double as a good chance to develop the dynamics between any two characters. I would have liked to see Ken and Cody bonding a little more, as well as TK and Davis. [Yes, I use dub names, now you don't have to point it out to me.]

In the later half of the show, there were a LOT of villains and it wasn't really clear at first who the big bad was going to, or supposed to be. I mean, who didn't think the final battle in 02 was going to be with Daemon, while they were watching it? He was thrown in, then tossed back into the discarded Dark Ocean [fitting, I guess] without actually doing much. Make no mistake, that was one of my favourite Ken moments, but it certainly feels lacking. We've got no investment against the villain, Daemon, and we've got no real sense of "risk" being taken because we don't know jack **** about the Dark Ocean.

Also there's that whole MarshMaloMyotismon thing going on at the end and I don't think I need to mention the epilogue.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:43 PM   #112
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
I honestly got the impression that Tai liked Sora and that they were meant to be. Its funny how a funny thought of her with bad boy best friend Matt ending up with her instead actually happening. I suppose that was mistranslated in the dub of the Adventure series and second movie segment.
Another dub addition. Yamato was never a "bad boy". Maybe Matt was.

As for movie 2, according to one of the interviews (and if I was at home and not the hospital I'd try to find it) the series director had nothing to do with the "Taichi x Sora" implications. I'm sure if the series as a whole had ended when it was intentionally meant to, the Yamato x Sora thing probably would've been more obvious.
Quote:
Were there more segments that suggested Matt/Sora before Matt asked her to one of his concert and getting approval from Tai?
He didn't ask Sora to a concert to my knowledge. They were all invited as they are friends.

I think they just tried to show that they could relate more in some ways to one another, but tbh I can't remember very much. The novel, to my knowledge subtly hint towards it.

The series director mentioned that all three was to help all of them grow or whatever in some way.

Also, in the original there was no need to get approval from Taichi because neither Yamato nor Sora knew of his feelings towards Sora. There was nothing in that original scene to even imply it. Taichi just urged her to stop being nervous and to give her gift to Yamato. She thanked him for the most part after that from what I recall. Agumon complimented Taichi after that on being mature. He picked up on it.

Only the dub, seemingly, set it up so that Sora needed Tai's approval to face Matt. I also heard that Sora said she was going to make Tai cookies too or something, which is totally off, as it would make her look like she's playing both boys.

Sora giving Yamato a homemade gift speaks volumes. In Japanese culture, making a food gift by hand for someone shows that your feelings aren't friendly and beyond that.

For example, for Valentine's Day, women/girls give out chocolates to men/boys. They even sell chocolate making kits in the stores here round about that time.

There's three kinds: Honmei, Tomo, and Giri.

Honmei = Homemade

Tomo = Tomodachi = Friendship

Giri = Obligation

Honmei Chocolate is made using the kits and decorated by said girl and is usually given to her bf, husband, or romantic interest. Oh and to be nice, some mothers may make some Choco for their sons. lol. Feel sorry for them maybe.

Tomo Choco is given to friends and store bought. Some girls may give them to their female friends too. It's a newer thing.

Giri Choco is maybe given to one's male coworkers.
Quote:
There was watching over Karai before Phantomon took her and another when Matt helped her find herself as he and Joe just did but Joe was in the mix too not just the two of them bonding. Perhaps American audiences are lead to believe the Tai/Sora relationship over the Matt/Sora relationship as an issue of dubbing.
I think for the original (and sorry I don't remember either well,) showed that Yamato understood Sora well enough to get her out of her funk. Yes Jou was there, but it was Yamato who was able to get through to her.
Quote:
It was not long ago I learned it was three short films woven together. I can tell the Adventure 02 segment is out of continuity. It was not the fact I prefer Tai and Matt to T.K. and Karai its just the segment was just boring and confusing if anything.
The pacing of movie 3 was a bit slow and the soundtrack wasn't all that great either save for the vocal op/ed, but the original did make sense. I also liked Wallace's "English". The acting wasn't the best, but the pronunciation was ok. I also liked the excuse they used as to why he could speak and understand Japanese. lol

Movie 3 was very standalone, but even I can't remember everything regarding Seraphimon and Holydramon being the key to releasing the Digimental of Miracles and Fate to armor evolve Wallace and Daisuke's Digimon.

Wallace figured out what was going on and was trying to get to a place called Summer Memory, I think, as that was where he lost the twin Digimon.
Quote:
I am curious, while I see a few things that make Adventure 02 flawed I would like to see your list of what makes it flawed.
Oh, well the Holy Ring thing never sat right with me and how Tailmon had to lose it...but I'm only saying this because I don't recall the reason and remember being confused by it. ^^

Overall, I just felt they could've gotten more story out of Adventure in general, so ending it after 02 was a bother.

Demon and Dagomon. I really wanted more on Demon especially. A story of him escaping the dark world and killing Dagomon to do it to try and conquer both the Digital World and the human world. This is my main issue with the series. Dagomon I can overlook, Demon not so much. A lot of potential there, especially since he seemed to act on his own.

It got to the point where the kids didn't want to kill their Digimon enemies, which made a lot of sense. Up until that point, neither Daisuke, Miyako, nor Iori ever had to. They'd only had to fight Dark Tower Digimon and prior to that, they only had to destroy the rings and spirals and the Digimon went back to normal.

It bothered me how fans at the time were critical of the 02 characters, pointing out that the Adventure kids killed left and right. Not comparable. The Adventure kids were in a killed or be killed situation the majority of the time. The 02 kids were in a controlled situation where they could easily go home restrategize and go back. Also, Iori was so against killing because his own father was killed protecting a government official. He saw things in black & white. All killing = bad.

So here's the flaw to me... Takeru, Hikari, and Ken. All three had adventures in the Digital World that required killing enemy Digimon. Ken was screwed up because he and Ryou killed Milleniumon. I never got why they didn't have them say something to help ease their qualms over it.

I never had a problem with the epilogue other than I wanted more story first. I like the idea of Takeru writing stories about his Digital World adventures and at least there was drama to show how it was his mother's idea to start writing in the first place, sorta like how Sora's mother got her into tennis.

Last edited by ssjup81; 09-11-2014 at 08:57 PM.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:13 PM   #113
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Thanks for adding more input in regards to Sorato/Taiora. It's been too long since I've seen the subs and even when I watch them I don't really pay attention to the shipping subtext. The part about Valentine's was interesting.

Quote:
Oh, well the Holy Ring thing never sat right with me and how Tailmon had to lose it...but I'm only saying this because I don't recall the reason and remember being confused by it. ^^
As far as I know, she only lost the tail ring because plot needed her to be as weak as the others, since her strength goes down a whole level when she loses it. It was just a plot device. She gets it back at the end of the series because the writers didn't need her to be weak any more.

Quote:
It bothered me how fans at the time were critical of the 02 characters, pointing out that the Adventure kids killed left and right. Not comparable. The Adventure kids were in a killed or be killed situation the majority of the time. The 02 kids were in a controlled situation where they could easily go home restrategize and go back. Also, Iori was so against killing because his own father was killed protecting a government official. He saw things in black & white. All killing = bad.
Thank you THANK YOU THANK YOU. It made SENSE for the 02 kids to go through that "we can't kill these Digimon" phase, though I will admit, it felt kinda forced in some areas and I think it could have been developed a little better.

Quote:
I never had a problem with the epilogue other than I wanted more story first. I like the idea of Takeru writing stories about his Digital World adventures and at least there was drama to show how it was his mother's idea to start writing in the first place, sorta like how Sora's mother got her into tennis.
Yeah, my main problem with the epilogue is that it ends the series the way it does with this "everyone gets a Digimon, babies ever after, hurray!" kinda note, and that some of the future developments don't make any god damn sense.

[Is there any explanation for Matt being an astronaut, I haven't looked into the supplemental material that might offer information like this]
Old 09-11-2014, 10:58 PM   #114
ssjup81
Foot Elite

I thought knowledge of Digimon became apparent, not that everyone received them.

Oh yeah, I know folks had issues with the occupations, but they all made sense to an extent. I could picture Taichi as an ambassador.

Sora: A designer of traditional Japanese clothing made loads of sense. She was strongly influenced by her mother. She even started playing tennis, also an influence from her mother who helped Sora. Sora was also practicing the traditional art of Japanese flower arranging.

Yamato: Astronaut/engineer. Makes sense given that he's really smart. He was the one to fix Nanomon in Adventure. He always struck me as private, quiet, and as a loner though, so I could see him not having a problem going out into space. As a musician, I could see it bothering him after a while since he does come across as the type who would value privacy. As an astronaut he can keep that.

Jou: Well, this goes without saying. He came from a family of doctors. It was a Kido family tradition dating back to the Edo era. Jou and Shin (oldest) became doctors, Shuu (the middle brother that always missed major Digimon related stuff) switched his major to humanities. He didn't want to become a doctor.

Koushirou as a researcher made a lot of sense as he's the type when asking a question will definitely try to find the answers to them.

Mimi as a food analyst/researcher/ cooking show host also made a lot of sense. An on running gag of the series is that Mimi likes strange food combinations. She got this from her mother who always prepared strange foods. For example, there's that ep in Adventure where everyone talked about what the liked with their eggs. In the original the kids mentioned stuff like mayo or soy sauce, salt & pepper, and I think Yamato mentioned ketchup. Koushirou mentioned he liked his eggs with ponzu, which is a citrus like vinegary type sauce (I've never had it with egg lol). The kids thought he was strange, but Mimi topped that. She liked her eggs prepared with sugar and natto. I can't even fathom that combination. lol To this day, I still find it ironic how only these two were viewed as strange for the way they liked their eggs. So yeah, Mimi combining different foods to create something tasty and new makes sense to me.

Miyako as a housewife...I could see it, as she did seem to come across as traditional and thinking about marriage in the future.

Ken as a detective...sorta. He had done many terrible things as the Digimon Kaiser. Doing a job where he's fighting for justice and protecting the innocent works imo, to make up for the innocents he harmed.

Takeru as a writer makes sense. Parental influence. He expresses himself with words like Yamato did with music (father's influence). Takeru's mother is a writer...well nonfiction like news articles iirc. After all that happened with BelialVamdemon she suggested that he write about everything, which led to hid writing the Digimon Adventure series.

Hikari as a kindergarten/nursery school teacher is also plausible. She's nurturing and kind. She would be very good with kids aged 2-5 imo.

Daisuke...well for me he gave off the impression of always trying to make everyone happy or try to bring people together. The soup he ate made him feel very good and happy and he shared that with others. Even if he wouldn't have started ramen stands, I think it would've been something close to it. I just could see him serving others to make them happy.

Iori getting into law with ethics makes sense. Putting away criminals, but the thing is that I could see this working both ways (defense/prosecution). Defending those he feels are innocent or prosecuting those who are guilty. He has such a strong sense of justice to always do the right thing, which is why his getting into law suits him, imo. Also, it runs in the family. His father was a cop, his grandfather was one (hence the kendo, as in Japan stuff like Judo and Kendo are required for cops).

So yeah...this is why I didn't groan and whine over the epilogue, although I do kinda wish Miyako had done something outside of being a housewife...although, it was shown how untraditional for a Japanese girl she was, hence Hawkmon as her partner, but also wanting to be ladylike. That's my impression anyway.

Last edited by ssjup81; 09-11-2014 at 11:11 PM.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:13 PM   #115
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Quote:
Oh yeah, I know folks had issues with the occupations, but they all made sense to an extent. I could picture Taichi as an ambassador.
Yeah, some of them did make sense. Others I just either didn't like or they felt like ass-pulls. Forever butthurt over Matt being an astronaut lmao

Quote:
Sora: A designer of traditional Japanese clothing made loads of sense. She was strongly influenced by her mother. She even started playing tennis, also an influence from her mother who helped Sora. Sora was also practicing the traditional art of Japanese flower arranging.
This is one I didn't like. Yeah, it did show that she and her mother grew close, which was a nice touch, but I was disappointed that she grew out of her tomboyishness a lot. As a kid, that's what I liked the most about her.

Quote:
Yamato: Astronaut/engineer. Makes sense given that he's really smart. He was the one to fix Nanomon in Adventure. He always struck me as private, quiet, and as a loner though, so I could see him not having a problem going out into space. As a musician, I could see it bothering him after a while since he does come across as the type who would value privacy.
Yeah, people that think he should have remained a musician were kinda off the rails, and not enough people acknowledge his intelligence simply because he isn't like Joe or Izzy about it... but astronaut. Really. In what universe did that seem like a logical thing. One criticism I watched of the Digimon series pointed out how all of them had to be super successful [this one along with Davis' noodle cart being on the ****ing cover of Time magazine was ridiculous] instead of just average working people.

Quote:
Mimi as a food analyst/researcher/ cooking show host also made a lot of sense. An on running gag of the series is that Mimi likes strange food combinations. She got this from her mother who always prepared strange foods. For example, there's that ep in Adventure where everyone talked about what the liked with their eggs. In the original the kids mentioned stuff like mayo or soy sauce, salt & pepper, and I think Yamato mentioned ketchup. Koushirou mentioned he liked his eggs with ponzu, which is a citrus like vinegary type sauce (I've never had it with egg lol). The kids thought he was strange, but Mimi topped that. She liked her eggs prepared with sugar and natto. I can't even fathom that combination. lol To this day, I still find it ironic how only these two were viewed as strange for the way they liked their eggs. So yeah, Mimi combining different foods to create something tasty and new makes sense to me.
I kinda liked this one too, but it had to grow on me.

Also that episode regarding the eggs is one of my favourite dub vs sub comparisons because both of them make me bust out with laughter. In the dub, Izzy's was ****ing MUSTARD AND JELLYBEANS. WHAT THE **** IZZY I LOVE YOU KID, THE LINE WAS DELIVERED IN THIS MOST CASUAL OF WAYS AND IT WAS GREAT.

Quote:
Ken as a detective...sorta. He had done many terrible things as the Digimon Kaiser. Doing a job where he's fighting for justice and protecting the innocent works imo, to make up for the innocents he harmed.
No but you don't UNDERSTADN I LOVE THIS ONE. He looked so great in that outfit. Though it kinda does have that same dark side to it as he had during that MaloMyotismon vision thing, huh? He probably took that one up because it was another way for him to work through his own guilt. :<

Quote:
Hikari as a kindergarten/nursery school teacher is also plausible. She's nurturing and kind. She would be very good with kids aged 2-5 imo.
I LIKED THIS ONE TOO. Another cute dub detail is that the woman that voiced her also voiced Takato's teacher in Tamers.

Quote:
Daisuke...well for me he gave off the impression of always trying to make everyone happy or try to bring people together. The soup he ate made him feel very good and happy and he shared that with others. Even if he wouldn't have started ramen stands, I think it would've been something close to it. I just could see him serving others to make them happy.
I could get behind him and his noodle cart, just... not being on the cover of Time magazine. That was laughable and I can't take it seriously, it just had to be a joke.

Quote:
Iori getting into law with ethics makes sense. Putting away criminals, but the thing is that I could see this working both ways (defense/prosecution). Defending those he feels are innocent or prosecuting those who are guilty. He has such a strong sense of justice to always do the right thing, which is why his getting into law suits him, imo. Also, it runs in the family. His father was a cop, his grandfather was one (hence the kendo, as in Japan stuff like Judo and Kendo are required for cops).
NO BUT YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND, THIS WAS THE BEST ONE. I think someone on 02's writing staff really liked Cody because of details like this, and his coming back for Oikawa near the end [THAT STILL MAKES ME CRY DAMN IT]. I mean they COULD have taken the easy route and had him be a cop, too, but his sense of justice developed even subtly during 02 and that change being reflected in his career choice WAS SO GREAT. If there's nothing else I want in the new Adventure series, I want it to develop this kid more.

Quote:
So yeah...this is why I didn't groan and whine over the epilogue, although I do kinda wish Miyako had done something outside of being a housewife...although, it was shown how untraditional for a Japanese girl she was, hence Hawkmon as her partner.
Yeeeah being a housewife just seemed kinda out of character for her. I mean sure, people change, but if she changed that much, I can't really see her getting with Ken. [And having that many kids, too. Damn guys slow down!]
Old 09-11-2014, 11:53 PM   #116
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netkeeper View Post
Thanks for adding more input in regards to Sorato/Taiora. It's been too long since I've seen the subs and even when I watch them I don't really pay attention to the shipping subtext. The part about Valentine's was interesting.
I've never seen the dub version of that scene, only the original. ^^

Oh and also, in Japan Christmas is more so a romantic holiday for older people. Younger kids have "Santa-san" but other than that Christmas isn't a big deal here and is very commercialized.
Quote:
As far as I know, she only lost the tail ring because plot needed her to be as weak as the others, since her strength goes down a whole level when she loses it. It was just a plot device. She gets it back at the end of the series because the writers didn't need her to be weak any more.
Oh yeah, that's right! She was a level higher than everyone else and her source of power came from her Holy Ring! For the card games at the time, for a Jorgress Evolution you needed two adult levels (that's rookie, right? It's been too long lol) to get a Perfect level (I think this was ultimate in English).

With armor Digimon, you had to be a child level.

There is a drama called Michi e no armor shinka. It was funny because the 02 Digimon ended up evolving to alt armor Digimon because Jou mixed up the D-Terminals and thus mixed up Digimentals. The drama overall was hilarious. It would take place in February 2003.

It was a valentine drama too. It was mainly about Daisuke wanting to become cooler to the girls. He went to Koushirou first I think. He went to Yamato too (learn how to play an instrument but failed). The Koushirou one was hilarious though!

He wanted to learn how to use the computer and Daisuke was even speaking in super polite Japanese, which Koushirou told him to stop doing because it was strange.

Long story short, it didn't work out and Daisuke started hitting the computer because it wasn't working right. Koushirou and Tentomon yelled at him. Koushirou was legit angry and his temperament is generally always cool. At the end, it sounded like something was thrown at the boy when rushing out. I always joked that Koushirou threw Tentomon in a mild "Hulk smash" kind of way.

The other subplot involved all of the girls being captured by some weird Digimon. The girls were shopping for Valentine stuff. In order to enter the area the guys needed a distraction....get this. They....danced or something. Yamato even shouted to Sora that he loved her I think and I guess he didn't mind embarrassing himself for her.

Oh yeah, Daisuke also tried to become the Digimon Kaiser. He dark evolved. He figured the girls would like him more. Personally I loved this! He was terrible because he was too nice.

Anyway at the very end of the drama after the mixed up armors, the Adventure kids' Digimon evolved to nonexistent Digimon because they were left out.

The most interest was Piyomon's. She evolved into..something I forgot. Maybe parrot like. She kept repeating the same line. Something along lines of "Does Yamato really care about me" with an embarrassed Sora pleading for her to stop...so she must've discussed it before.

These dramas can be super goofy.
Old 09-13-2014, 02:54 PM   #117
Leofan26
Mad Scientist

I don't know, I understood Cody's / Sora's / Davis / Mimi / Joe, maybe Tai's a little.

To me, Matt's and Ken's felt a little out of here. I think Izzy would have been better fit for an Astronaut for obvious reasons in my opinion. Matt should have just been a retired popular world wide rock star raising his family now with Sora. WTF Kind of job is that for Ken? I know we've got detectives in real live for higher to help us but just didn't seem right for him. I think Ken should have been a therapist instead, help people with issues that he could relate to and help people open up like he did finally at the end of the series.

Oh yah, T.K and Karai's jobs made sense too. Karai hinted at the end that she wanted to become a teacher when she was older, congrats to her for making her dream become a reality

T.K being the one to experience the most of all the kids in the past Adventures. One thing I never understood, both T.K and Karai's kids sure did look a lot a like, almost like they got married and had kids but we never got confirmation if they did or not

In order for me to understand Matt x Sora's I guess being meant for one another this entire time? They really should have had more interactions and moments besides that cave scene at the end of 01 Adventures, just seemed so sudden

Maybe it's just me being a Tai x Sora fan
Leofan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 04:58 PM   #118
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Personally, any job with Ken protecting innocents makes sense to me. Even in 02 later on, even though he had friends and was forgiven, the guilt still didn't leave him. His desire when caught up in BelialVamdemon's illusionary world was to be punished/killed for all that he did and still blamed himself for Osamu's death. He overcame it, but that still didn't mean that it fully went away. Ken to me had a lot of turmoil and guilt. His actions led to Wormmom's death. He blamed himself as the reason for his brother's death and parents' sadness.

With all that happening at such a young age, I could understand Ken still feeling this guilt way after the fact. Protecting the innocent as a detective (or anything of this nature) to ease his guilt seems very logical to me.

To be honest, Koushirou as an astronaut I couldn't see suiting him unless he actually had an interest. The thing to remember about him is that he's knowledgeable and decent at recalling some facts, but strikes me as a Sherlock Holmes type. He's an intelligent type...but only when it came to things that interested him. For instance, some people may have had general knowledge pertaining to astronomy, but Sherlock was ignorant of such things because it didn't interest him. I feel Koushirou is the same. He only seems to seek out information on the things he has a genuine curiosity about.

Yamato strikes me as the type that enjoys solitude or wouldn't have a prob with it. He also strikes me as being private. As the frontman of a band, I could see it becoming tiresome for him after a while. Honestly, if he'd continued with music, I could see him becoming a music arranger or a composer, something behind the scenes.

As for him with Sora...it's probably like the whole Satoshi (Ash)!x Kasumi (Misty) thing. Personally, I feel that it was going in that direction in the first series, but after the show became popular, and didn't end when it was originally supposed to have, they changed it up. If Adventure had gone the way it was originally intended maybe it would have shown more hints towards the pair.
Old 09-13-2014, 05:32 PM   #119
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Interesting observations, these are the problems I had with Adventure 02. It was a good season but not fantastic. Hard to compete with Adventure 01. I never understood why the older six were pushed back with T.K. and Kari remaining as apart of the core. It appears to be like how the Tai/Sora angle was accidently created and Matt/Sora coming out of nowhere lost in translation literally. I understand now. However in no particular order.

1. It was messy trying to explain roles of Myotismon's pawns Ken and how these dark roots are a battery to resurrect Myotismon yet act more likea slowly developing super solider serum.

2. The exact role of the dark towers. Was it to keep anyone from Digivolving and how were those things constructed.

3. The Dark Ocean. Where did come from and what was its exact role? Biggest dropped plot. Also, the shadowy villain from the Dark Ocean that swore he would get revenge on T.K. and Kari in particular.

4. Who created this Digi-armor once the Digimon of the Digi Destined were forced to go back to square one? Geni is the obvious anwer but it was never explained.

5. Was that Devimon of File Island in the whirlpool. Was he MarineDevimon and he was that easily absorbed?

6. What happened to the golden armor? It was a one time thing. After the Digimon did not have to worry about digivolution being blocked what happened to the digi-armor?

7. Everyone knows about Digimon so everyone gets a partner? Whatever happen to selecting the best of the bunch of the then youth. Neither season touched on the Digi Destined before Tai and gang.

Myotismon surviving twice and somehow sidegrading to another Motis form? Was MaloMyotismon like SkullGreymon?
Old 09-13-2014, 07:36 PM   #120
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Interesting observations, these are the problems I had with Adventure 02. It was a good season but not fantastic. Hard to compete with Adventure 01. I never understood why the older six were pushed back with T.K. and Kari remaining as apart of the core.
Their ages. This was pointed out in Adventure that you had to be 12 or under to be chosen for Adventure's continuity. The same applied in 02. The six older kids were 13+. Koushirou and Mimi just missed out by a year.
Quote:
It appears to be like how the Tai/Sora angle was accidently created and Matt/Sora coming out of nowhere lost in translation literally. I understand now. However in no particular order.
Maybe it was subtly done. Who knows. I liked Taichi x Sora, but ironically, before starting 02, I started liking Yamato x Sora for some reason. I'm a fan of both pairings and the preference shifted with my mood.

I still feel that if Adventure had ended when it was intentionally supposed to have, maybe they would've focused a bit more on it.
Quote:
1. It was messy trying to explain roles of Myotismon's pawns Ken and how these dark roots are a battery to resurrect Myotismon yet act more likea slowly developing super solider serum.
Ken was infected by the dark gear things after defeating Milleniumon with Ryo. Gane continuity, as Ken and Ryou are game characters from the Wonderswan games. I found a Wonderswan Color about 10 years ago along with the games they're featured in. Wish my mind wasn't hazy on the story though.

Seems they combined everything for 02's sake.
Quote:
2. The exact role of the dark towers. Was it to keep anyone from Digivolving and how were those things constructed.
This was explained in the original, I just forgot why. lol. As for the construction, that is a good question.
Quote:
3. The Dark Ocean. Where did come from and what was its exact role? Biggest dropped plot. Also, the shadowy villain from the Dark Ocean that swore he would get revenge on T.K. and Kari in particular.
It was Dagomon. That was the villain, wasn't it? I also don't recall him specifically wanting revenge in them though.

That aside, I understand how they foreshadowed the dark digital world stuff we see later, but yeah they should've brought Konaka back to do another ep.
Quote:
4. Who created this Digi-armor once the Digimon of the Digi Destined were forced to go back to square one? Geni is the obvious anwer but it was never explained.
i thought it was in the original. I can't remember now, but I could've sworn this was explained during the Christmas eps...unless it was a game thing.
Quote:
5. Was that Devimon of File Island in the whirlpool. Was he MarineDevimon and he was that easily absorbed?
You have a better memory if 02 than I do. I don't recall. Seems I recall character things more so than plot things.
Quote:
6. What happened to the golden armor? It was a one time thing. After the Digimon did not have to worry about digivolution being blocked what happened to the digi-armor?
It became the physical representation if Ken's Crest of Kindness, didn't it?

The kids could still use their Digimentals, it just wasn't as necessary anymore since they didn't have to worry about their evolutions being blocked. You have to keep in mind that the show was based on and pulling elements from the games at the time, which included the card game. They were trying to introduce other evolution types and paths for the Digimon of the series.
Quote:
7. Everyone knows about Digimon so everyone gets a partner? Whatever happen to selecting the best of the bunch of the then youth.
I could be remembering wrong, but I thought that everyone gradually became aware of them, not that everyone received one.
Quote:
Neither season touched on the Digi Destined before Tai and gang.
Yeah, would've been nice to hear a story about them.
Quote:
Myotismon surviving twice and somehow sidegrading to another Motis form? Was MaloMyotismon like SkullGreymon?
MaloMyotismon was his name? lol. I'll stick with BelialVamdemon. lol

That aside, I haven't any issue because every single Digimon have multiple evolutionary paths...like how Armadimoncan evolve to MegaSeadramon. There's a path for it which uses the armors and Jorgress evolving.

Take Imperialdramon for instance.

XV-mon + Stingmon can Jorgress evolve to either Imperialdramon or Dinobeemon. I personally would've preferred seeing Dinobeemon. It just shows that for that one XV-mon had the more dominating data...and they let the new kid for each pair have his/her Digimon dominate.

So yeah, getting BelialVamdemon in 02 as an alt didn't bother me much.

Oh yeah, that reminds me...02 was cut short because Adventure ran long. Adventure was originally supposed to have been 52 eps I think, but was 54, so they had to cut back on 02's eps.

Another issue with 02, imo, was trying to have so much in such a short amount if time.

Tags
digimon