The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > 4Kids TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 02-18-2019, 07:39 AM   #1
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

10 years since series finale

It's February 2019. 10 years have passed since the two final episodes of the 4 Kids series, Superpower Struggle and Wedding Bells and Bytes, aried in February 2009. Any thoughts?

Last edited by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan; 02-24-2019 at 08:49 AM.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:37 AM   #2
neatoman
Emperor

I don't think "cancellation" is the right word here. Formally cancellation refers to when the production aborted before all ordered episodes are completed, informally (and what most people think cancellation means) it's when a TV show ends on a cliffhanger but isn't renewed. Neither one of these defintions really fit this show's ending.

Anyway, I guess it's at least interesting that they chose to end the show with a wedding episode. It's probably the most conclusive ending of any TMNT show yet. FW has a servicable ending but it's kind of generic in a sense while TNM could actually be described as cancelled. For the Nick show it's sort of up in the air what actually counts as the final episode, wheter it's the Big Blowout or Carmageddon. In either case it's a weird ending, the second pseudo-remake of Turtles Forever bookended by a bad music video or a Mad Max homage in which most characters had died off-screen.
Hahahaha!

Last edited by neatoman; 02-18-2019 at 09:46 AM.
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:43 AM   #3
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Yeah, the series wasn't cancelled. That's like saying Star Trek: The Next Generation was cancelled at season 7.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 02:06 PM   #4
Prowler
Emperor

It was alright for what it was. I did prefer FW's final episode, but 2k3's wasn't a bad episode at all. That being said, it wasn't a particularly major send off to show a long show. It lasted for 7 whole years/seasons after all, remember? Mot of the big events happened in the first 3 seasons of the show. So by the time season 3 ended the bar had been set a bit too high and made you wonder how much better the rest of the show could be. Well, after season 4 ended, the show began losing quality.

My interest in the 2k3 series began declining after season 4, so by the time it was over I can't say I was particularly sad. It was more like "meh". Not really the kind of ending I had expected for a show like that, tbh. 2k3 kinda dumbed itself down a bit after a while. Plus, it started when I was like 12 years old or so and ended when I was 18-19 or so. So it's not like I was heavily into cartoons like that at the time anymore. I was more interested in anime since it usually had more mature storytelling and plots.

In my early teens I actually found the 2k3 series rather mature for a children's cartoon, but eventually I realised it wasn't really that mature, and characters like Mikey and Raph just got more annoying as the series progressed. I even feel like they regressed as characters. And by the time Fast Forward rolled in, I found it hard to take the series seriously anymore. The show jumped the shark around that time, and it seemed like there weren't any other credible major threats left to the Turtles. Plus, keep in mind how often Shredder and Baxter have been defeated and/or mutilated throughout the series. At some point it became pretty much a meme and every time you saw them again you just rolled your eyes "wow, he's still alive? What a surprise!"

Overall, 2k3 was a really fun series to watch back in the day. Especially since it came out at a time where downloading the newest episode of a series or streaming it online as soon as it came out wasn't a viable option. You actually had to try and wake up early on a weekend's morning in order to watch it. And all the "to be continued" and cliffhangers really teased you and kinda drove you nuts at times. You sure had enough time to digest each episode. I also remember eagerly anticipating season 3, since the Triceraton invasion of Earth was already forewarned in the final episode of season 2.

I feel like this series encompassed by teenage years perfectly. It started around the time I transitioned form being a little kid into a teenager and ended around the time my teens were coming to an end. Basically, the show began at a time where I still found girls icky and ended at a time where I was already legally allowed to vote. Kinda funny to think about the length of the show in this aspect.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 03:36 PM   #5
Sumac
Banned

I consider Turtles Forever to be a series finale, so as for those 2 episodes...well, they were fairly good.

Overall, it was sad that 2k3 ended up with Back to the Sewers season, but, I am not sure if continuation would have been better, if executives continued to put some stupid gimmicks in the next seasons.

Though, I really miss opportunity to know more about Shredder wars.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 04:39 PM   #6
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
I consider Turtles Forever to be a series finale, so as for those 2 episodes...well, they were fairly good.

Overall, it was sad that 2k3 ended up with Back to the Sewers season, but, I am not sure if continuation would have been better, if executives continued to put some stupid gimmicks in the next seasons.

Though, I really miss opportunity to know more about Shredder wars.
The show was already dropping in ratings and toy sales, I believe. Hence why each of the 3 final seasons was different from each other in style/theme.

I feel like they eventually began running out of ideas after season 3 and had t c come up with gimmicks and such in order to keep the show going. Honestly, to this day I'm surprised this show was able to last for so long. When it first debuted I feared it'd last 2 or maybe 3 seasons tops. Or perhaps even bomb. Never even expected it to come close to the 100 episode mark, let alone surpass it.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:54 PM   #7
CyberCubed
Overlord

I wish the wedding episode was a 2-parter, they really should have not have done the Turtle Titan Green Mantle ep, it's weird as hell for that to be the second to last ep of the entire series. Either way Turtles Forever wraps the show up after.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 11:04 AM   #8
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I wish the wedding episode was a 2-parter, they really should have not have done the Turtle Titan Green Mantle ep, it's weird as hell for that to be the second to last ep of the entire series. Either way Turtles Forever wraps the show up after.
One Turtle Titan episode in the series was plenty already.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:21 PM   #9
Icebot
Foot Elite

wish I could have seen the shredder wars, other than that, I guess it was a good series finale. The show had about what 156 episodes? I’d say it’s a lot of episodes so the show did pretty good.
Icebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:39 PM   #10
CyberCubed
Overlord

It's hard to believe its been 10 years since this show ended, and like 16 years since it began. Good god, I still remember when this show was considered the, "new" TMNT cartoon and people were so shocked the Turtles even came back. The fact that we're now 2 TMNT cartoons later and its been almost 20 years is shocking.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:22 PM   #11
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
It's hard to believe its been 10 years since this show ended, and like 16 years since it began. Good god, I still remember when this show was considered the, "new" TMNT cartoon and people were so shocked the Turtles even came back. The fact that we're now 2 TMNT cartoons later and its been almost 20 years is shocking.
How mind blown are you gonna when Rise will be for the oldies and a new tmnt cartoon will eventually emerge in some years? It sounds far away, but just imagine how amazing the passage of time will be when it eventually comes on our doorstep within the fraction of a second. Will you believe that one day, Rise will be 20 years old? None of us will believe that the time will have passed, and then in the future we will not be expect the passage of time to pass as it does, and be completely mind blown.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:28 PM   #12
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I can believe it's been a decade since it feels like a long time ago and yet I remember very well the sense of dread and uncertain future here on the drome like it was yesterday. It was a bitter sweet time.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 04:41 AM   #13
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I can believe it's been a decade since it feels like a long time ago and yet I remember very well the sense of dread and uncertain future here on the drome like it was yesterday. It was a bitter sweet time.
Yep. I joined this forum in early 2009 at a time where Viacom hadn't bought TMNT yet and there were fears the property would rot and die. CyberCubed even said his famous "A world without TMNT is not a world I want to live in" quote then.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:33 PM   #14
CyberCubed
Overlord

The fact that 2009 is now 10 years ago completely blows my mind. I just can't believe how fast the 2010's decade has flown by. Unreal.
Old 02-28-2019, 06:16 AM   #15
Overlord

Today is the day

Today is the day the final episode aired 10 years ago.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:51 AM   #16
The-Shredder
Hench Mutant

I had a lot of fun watching this show back in the day. I tuned out midway through Fast Forward, but I believe I caught a good part of Back to the Sewer when it first aired, including the season premiere. The theme song and the intro really get you hyped up. I vaguely remember seeing the last episode on the day it aired, but I'm not too sure since I caught up with some of the episodes I missed on the 4Kids TV site. I like how pretty much every ally was at the wedding and even some of the villains the Turtles made amends with. It wasn't perfect, but it was a satisfying finale, more so than the other shows in my opinion.
The-Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 10:31 AM   #17
ninjawolf10
Random Punk

Sad, this was my favorite version of the turtles and the first version I ever saw. First few seasons were great, but fast forward and back to the sewers went downhill a bit
ninjawolf10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 11:47 AM   #18
newfan
Mad Scientist

I liked the first 5 seasons best. Had Karai in 2012 just vanished without a mention in the last season (or I didn't notice a mention) I would not have been happy. She was back in Turtles Forever though.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 01:17 PM   #19
Overlord

Seasons 1–4

Seasons 1–4 are the best.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:35 PM   #20
sdp
Megan Fox = April

New dromers don't even know that 2k3 was usually referred to as NT (New Toon)
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cybercubed the timemaster, timelords ponder