The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 05-07-2017, 04:33 PM   #101
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
usually with an attack against the person expressing that 'hateful' opinion against the movie itself.

almost as if they fear loosing their job if they don't attack the person rather than the opinion ;o).
Is the person expressing a negative opinion?
Or s#itposting?
Because the latter is often confused with the former.

And...I highly doubt any intern slated with joining forums in order to generate buzz are really being paid commission.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 06:20 PM   #102
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Maybe not, but there were some people who were out and out rude to those who didn't like the movie. Not everyone is going to be respectful of a differing opinion.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 06:30 PM   #103
Vegita-San
Emperor

yep, and there's no reason to be outright confrontational if you don't have to be.

and if they where new rude posters....plant suspicions go up
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 09:52 PM   #104
Katie
Just...way too serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
ok mod

You really can't fathom that studios would have viral marketers going around? It's a damn good way to promote something and it DOES exist.
I have a degree in marketing so I do understand the concepts, yes. We learned that social media is a good tool. As in Facebook and Twitter. No one dumps money into online forums as a marketing strategy. Facebook? Yeah. But there's zero money in marketing and thats why I'm a risk manager for a bank

My 2 cents is that probably more than half are curious newcomers that get riled by old time forum dwellers and the rest ard trolls baiting the hardcore fans for the LOLs.

People never can learn to ignore stuff and take the bait.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:57 PM   #105
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I don't think the plants were spending any money on these forums, just logging in for free and talking good about the PD films a few times every day to get the forum members to take their children and go and see the film.
FredWolfLeonardo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 10:43 PM   #106
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie View Post
I have a degree in marketing so I do understand the concepts, yes. We learned that social media is a good tool. As in Facebook and Twitter. No one dumps money into online forums as a marketing strategy. Facebook? Yeah. But there's zero money in marketing and thats why I'm a risk manager for a bank

Right, you work for a bank and somehow understand how the entertainment industry works to the point of declaring that absolutely no company would use an online forum to promote a product.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 01:45 AM   #107
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie View Post

My 2 cents is that probably more than half are curious newcomers that get riled by old time forum dwellers and the rest ard trolls baiting the hardcore fans for the LOLs.

People never can learn to ignore stuff and take the bait.
I'll defer to your expertise in marketing theory, but as someone who has worked under and alongside marketing people for 11 years I can say that they don't allways make good and rational decisions. A lot of people work in marketing without having any actual marketing credentials too, and there's a lot of shooting from the hip.

You're probably right about the wisdom of this kind of guerrilla astroturfing, but there are documented cases of this happening. Check out the Driver 3 scandal. There was an agency involved in that who listed forum infiltration as one of their specialties.
ProactiveMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 04:21 AM   #108
Vegita-San
Emperor

in that case, why is it so hard to believe that they'd offer 'package deals?'

charge for facebook and twitter, and throw in message boards for free? give that 'less important stuff' to plant trainees
Old 05-08-2017, 05:53 AM   #109
Katie
Just...way too serious.

I'm guessing that at one point, before facebook, twitter, instagram, and whatever, trying to do promotion on forums was something that was more prominent. However, the goal in viral promotion is to get people to actually see your campaign and share it. That isn't going to be on a fan forum.

Look at this place. Everyone here already knows about the Turtles, already has an opinion about them, and will likely consume any new Turtles media without proding at least once. It's a waste of time to deal with superfans. I would expect that the goal is to get "casuals" and kids excited for new Turtles media.

Not too many if those hanging out on fan forums.

And snake, you can think what you want about me, I don't give a rip, but if I was such a "plant" and so in on the industry, wouldn't I be all over the movie forums here? I couldn't care less about all the industry bullsh!t about movies. I just go watch stuff occasionally and I either like it or don't.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:17 AM   #110
plastroncafe

Places like this one aren't welcome to newcomers or outsiders.
The only reason someone would bother to come here is to try and use it for some sort of social collateral, not to change minds.
Quote:
Quote:
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:31 AM   #111
Vegita-San
Emperor

looking at a few posts from this page alone, a few people joined from 2009 onward and have almost a thousand posts already.

i would say only the die hards found this place early on it's existence and stuck around for that long. everyone else found it later, or decided to check it out later.

or finally decided talking turtles was worth putting up with this places reputation as being a hard butt tough as nails don't come in with a soft shoulder place .

i just find it interesting that people are willing to admit that it happens on facebook and youtube and other places, but are hard lined at the fact that it can't possibly happen on message boards anymore.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:34 AM   #112
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
or finally decided talking turtles was worth putting up with this places reputation as being a hard butt tough as nails don't come in with a soft shoulder place.
You just described the internet. All of it. Or at least anything with a comment section.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:35 AM   #113
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
You just described the internet. All of it. Or at least anything with a comment section.
I kind of think we where pioneers in that regard at least ;o).

I didn't notice things getting REALLY bad elsewhere until at least 6 years ago.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:37 AM   #114
plastroncafe

That's the thing about Safe Spaces, if you never leave yours, you're likely not to notice you're in one.
Quote:
Quote:

Tags
snakeistriggered