The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 11-22-2021, 04:00 PM   #1
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past 30th anniversary

Yesterday, 21 November 2021, marked 30th anniversary of Nintendo's The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. That video game was originally released in Japan on 21 November 1991, marking the 1st anniversary of the Super NES. It was later released in North America in May 1992 and in Europe in September that year.

Last edited by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan; 11-24-2021 at 08:15 AM.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 05:10 PM   #2
Leo656
The Franchise

Ahhh, the game that made me a "real" Zelda fan.

I'd played and beaten "Adventure of Link", and I'd messed with the original game a couple of times when I was little, having no clue what I was doing. But that's about it. Then right before "Ocarina of Time" came out for N64, I was hanging out at a friend's house and she had "A Link to the Past" hooked up, so I messed with that for a bit before going home and I was hooked. When I got home I told my Dad I wanted that game and Ocarina for Christmas, and he delivered.

Great times with that one. Overdue for another run through it.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 06:40 PM   #3
CyberCubed
Overlord

I missed the game on SNES as a kid so the first time I played it was the GBA port. To this day I replayed the GBA version more times than the SNES version since when you die you start back at a dungeon entrance instead of having to travel back there from your house or the top of the pyramid.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 06:53 PM   #4
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I wonder if Link's Awakening on Switch didn't sell much. I feel like we should be hearing about A Link to the Past Switch version by now (presumably with the same engine).
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 06:54 PM   #5
CyberCubed
Overlord

It's already up for streaming on Nintendo's online SNES service, so they have no reason to remake it.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 06:57 PM   #6
neatoman
Emperor

Much in the same way I'd say Super Metroid is the first in the series to actually stand the test of time, I would also say this is the first Zelda to stand the test of time. The first two games are just kind of cryptic and awkward to me, this one doesn't have as many issues. The only real problem I can think of is that the inventory still sucked, four face buttons and a pair of shoulder buttons, yet the game still forces you to only be able to equip one item? Thank god Ocarina allowed you to equip three, scrolling through the inventory was just a pain.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 07:19 PM   #7
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
It's already up for streaming on Nintendo's online SNES service, so they have no reason to remake it.
They have every reason to remake it. SNES games don't appeal to kids nowadays, it could find a new generation, and after Link's Awakening they have a ready made 3D engine perfectly suited for it. Throw in a few extra dungeons and secrets and now it's a must-play.
Old 11-24-2021, 05:46 AM   #8
Overlord

I think it took more than two months for us beating it. This was the most difficult (how to make the boss appear).

Last edited by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan; 11-24-2021 at 05:52 AM.
Old 11-24-2021, 08:04 AM   #9
frank_one
Mad Scientist

A link to the past deserves a full blown 3d remake, I wouldn't be satisfied with a 2.5d remake like Link's awakening. Not that it really needs a remake, it is still enjoyable as it is.
The only Zelda games that could benefit from a remake are the first two as they are too difficult for modern standards (even if Leo656 beat Zelda2 as a kid ).
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 09:14 AM   #10
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
I think it took more than two months for us beating it. This was the most difficult (how to make the boss appear).
Wow, watching that brought back memories.... I can't believe that guy played that level without taking a hit either. I remember always wiping out the enemies in ever room before moving on as if it was part of the game's "mission" instead of ignoring most of them.

I also remember running around that level like a madman and basically stumbling upon the boss reveal simply out of attrition from having no other places to explore in that dungeon.

That was such a great game - I always felt like it was the true sequel to the NES game because the second one was such a departure.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 10:17 AM   #11
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
Wow, watching that brought back memories.... I can't believe that guy played that level without taking a hit either. I remember always wiping out the enemies in ever room before moving on as if it was part of the game's "mission" instead of ignoring most of them.

I also remember running around that level like a madman and basically stumbling upon the boss reveal simply out of attrition from having no other places to explore in that dungeon.

That was such a great game - I always felt like it was the true sequel to the NES game because the second one was such a departure.
I think we called the Swedish Nintendo Hotline, since we didn't have a guidebook.
Old 11-24-2021, 10:23 AM   #12
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I remember as a kid after beating this, I enjoyed it so much I tried to have my friend's sister hypnotize me into forgetting the game so I could enjoy it freshly anew. It didn't work, of course, but time sort of did that on its own so I've played it through a couple of times since.
Old 11-24-2021, 10:26 AM   #13
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I remember as a kid after beating this, I enjoyed it so much I tried to have my friend's sister hypnotize me into forgetting the game so I could enjoy it freshly anew. It didn't work, of course, but time sort of did that on its own so I've played it through a couple of times since.

WTF, man?
Old 11-24-2021, 10:27 AM   #14
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post

WTF, man?
True story. My friend's sister was fancying herself a hypnotist at the time so I had to try it out and think of something that I'd want to forget. Link to the Past was pretty fresh in mind!
Old 11-24-2021, 10:28 AM   #15
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
True story. My friend's sister was fancying herself a hypnotist at the time so I had to try it out and think of something that I'd want to forget. Link to the Past was pretty fresh in mind!
That is awesome....
Old 11-24-2021, 01:08 PM   #16
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Using hypnosis so that you can forget and enjoy a game a second time is one of the weirdest stuff I've ever heard. Does it work with virginity as well?
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 02:08 PM   #17
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_one View Post
Using hypnosis so that you can forget and enjoy a game a second time is one of the weirdest stuff I've ever heard. Does it work with virginity as well?

No, no. That one needs time travel...