The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 07-20-2015, 11:51 AM   #81
Peanut
Second Gear

Holy sh*t! That's amazing! Something totally lost in the translation there. Oda is masterful!

Anyways, I got a subscription to Weekly Shonen Jump the other day (exclusively for One Piece, so I won't need to read awful scanlations every week) and they're featuring the first 4 chapters of Dragon Ball in their "Jump Back" feature this month, so I've read a few of them and I dug it enough to order a couple of the tonkoban.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 12:49 PM   #82
Mew
Banned

I started watching Toriko yesterday. It's great so far. I still think One Piece is better, but I'm only on episode 3 of Toriko.
Mew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 01:28 PM   #83
Peanut
Second Gear

I've heard that Toriko, like One Piece, gets better as it goes and the world grows. Instead of just jumping arc to arc and fight to fight, introducing a new focus as it goes, it introduces character and plot points early on that have considerable payoff down the line. I don't think many other manga/anime (or any piece of fiction) comes close to One Piece in terms world building and long view storytelling, but that's an unfair comparison to make when it comes to a weekly comic that has been running for 18 years.

Toriko does its own thing, but it was almost certainly heavily influenced by Oda's style of storytelling, because there's a lot about Toriko I think OP fans would really enjoy. It also starts moving way faster than One Piece, I think to the detriment of its characterizations up front, but to the benefit of the pace. I think it picked up for me around the end of the Regal Mammoth arc, but I know I'm very early in the series. It seems like Toriko has a lot more "this is where it gets good" opinions than One Piece does, but a lot of people point to the Century Soup arc as the Arlong Park equivalent of the series, which really isn't too far in.
Old 07-20-2015, 01:31 PM   #84
Allio
Foot Elite

I'm in the mood for a new horror manga, anyone got a suggestion?
Old 07-20-2015, 01:52 PM   #85
Mew
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
I've heard that Toriko, like One Piece, gets better as it goes and the world grows. Instead of just jumping arc to arc and fight to fight, introducing a new focus as it goes, it introduces character and plot points early on that have considerable payoff down the line. I don't think many other manga/anime (or any piece of fiction) comes close to One Piece in terms world building and long view storytelling, but that's an unfair comparison to make when it comes to a weekly comic that has been running for 18 years.

Toriko does its own thing, but it was almost certainly heavily influenced by Oda's style of storytelling, because there's a lot about Toriko I think OP fans would really enjoy. It also starts moving way faster than One Piece, I think to the detriment of its characterizations up front, but to the benefit of the pace. I think it picked up for me around the end of the Regal Mammoth arc, but I know I'm very early in the series. It seems like Toriko has a lot more "this is where it gets good" opinions than One Piece does, but a lot of people point to the Century Soup arc as the Arlong Park equivalent of the series, which really isn't too far in.
I've just watched episode 3. And I get what your saying. I thought the Arlong Park arc was really freakin good. I'm not that far in on One Piece, but I'm guessing you have watched Toriko?
Old 07-20-2015, 08:01 PM   #86
Peanut
Second Gear

I only watched about 20 episodes of the anime before switching over to the manga at chapter 1. I'm currently in the mid 70's chapter wise, but I'm on a binge tonight, so I'll probably tear through a few volumes before the night is over.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:20 PM   #87
Mew
Banned

Nice. I just hit episode 58 of One Piece.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:39 AM   #88
JakeSully
Banned

Who wants a new polished gritter reboot of this infamous anime series?

With the successes of recent graphic horror like Saw, Hostel and Human Centipede, it makes sense to do a new Urotsukidoji reboot series for a new generation to shock and show demon tentacles to a new generation and have the guys who did the Sailor Moon reboot to do the animation for it.
JakeSully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 11:37 PM   #89
Mona_Lisa
Stone Warrior

I really don't remember who it was, but somebody on this form was going on about how good Bleach Was... So when I saw it on Netflix I decided to give it a try and, Wow it was awesome.... But there was only 3 Seasons!!!!! Now I got to know what happens next * Netflix you are evil for doing this to me *. I wonder, should I look for the episodes on YouTube or Start reading the manga???? Suggestions anyone?
Old 07-22-2015, 11:27 AM   #90
Peanut
Second Gear

My best piece of advice for anyone who wants to watch a bunch of anime is to invest in a Crunchyroll account. It's cheap (I pay $7 cdn a month) and it has pretty much everything you'd ever want to watch on it, as it's released in Japan. I pair that with a Funimation account and pretty much nothing is inaccessible. I have a bunch of Crunchyroll 48 hour guest passes, so if you'd like I can send you one and you can check out the service yourself. They have every episodes of Bleach.

I am surprised to hear you've been able to come in fresh to Bleach and get into it, cause I honestly see nothing but b*tching about it, even from people who are self-professed hardcore fans of the series. I've wanted to give it a try, but even advocates for it are a fountain of negativity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MewMeow View Post
Nice. I just hit episode 58 of One Piece.
Nice! You've got a long way to go, but it always makes me happy to see people get into it.

Anyways, I ran through Part 1 of the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure anime in the last few days and thought it was really cool! I'm gonna start Part 2 today, not knowing what I'm in for at all. I love how Part 1 is basically the entirety of a typical shonen manga/anime condensed into 10 episodes.
Old 07-22-2015, 11:41 AM   #91
CyberCubed
Overlord

How do you guys make time to watch so much anime? I usually have trouble keeping up with cartoons/American TV, let alone most anime. Especially since some anime goes on for hundreds of episodes.

Gaming takes up most of my free time too, so when do you guys get time to watch?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 12:21 PM   #92
Peanut
Second Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
How do you guys make time to watch so much anime? I usually have trouble keeping up with cartoons/American TV, let alone most anime. Especially since some anime goes on for hundreds of episodes.

Gaming takes up most of my free time too, so when do you guys get time to watch?
Where do you continually come up with this sh*t? Just logically, if you took all the time you spend keeping up with cartoons/American TV and playing games, is it not possible for someone who does none of those things to keep up with anime? And what difference does it make how long an anime goes on for? If you're caught up, you're spending roughly 20 minutes a week watching a new episode. Is that difficult?

Personally, I don't give a sh*t about cartoons or North American television, I rarely watch movies and the amount of time I played videogames has drastically fallen this generation. Is it not impossible for me to keep up with a single anime/manga and dabble in a handful here or there, or is anime somehow a more time consuming form of entertainment than everything else? I honestly don't get what you're trying to say.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:25 PM   #93
Powder
So tired of this place

Word, & some of the people in this thread are still in middle/high school, which makes for plenty of time.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 01:05 PM   #94
Allio
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post

I mainly read just manga, that way I can read though several chapters that would normally take an episode

only certain series that I actually watch the anime.
Old 07-22-2015, 01:12 PM   #95
Splinter the boss
Stone Warrior

I know the naruto anime ended in the japanese version, but I still wanted to know if anyone is waiting for the dubbed version to end to finish watching it.

I started watching the anime late, like 3 months ago. And now that I've caught up to the dubbed version, I have to watch one episode a week because it's still dubbing. So I stopped and decided to wait.
Splinter the boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 04:41 PM   #96
Powder
So tired of this place

Following Non Non Biyori: Repeat & Himouto! Umaru-Chan right now, both being 3 episodes in at present.

Old 07-22-2015, 08:44 PM   #97
Peanut
Second Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allio View Post
I mainly read just manga, that way I can read though several chapters that would normally take an episode
Another truth. I spent a few hours drinking beer and reading Toriko on Monday and got through nearly 100 chapters, which equals out to about 40 episodes of the anime. 40 episodes would have taken me a hell of a lot longer than a few hours to get through. Those kinds of binges really do allow you to catch up quickly and once you do, you're looking at 5 minutes to read a chapter of a manga or 20 minutes to watch a single episode of an anime once a week or bi-weekly.

Not to say catching up isn't an incredibly long journey. It took me about two years to catch up to One Piece (once I let go of the english dub) in the anime and another month or so after that to catch up to the manga, but it was pretty close to the only thing I watched/read in those two years. And once you're caught up to something, it opens you up to watching/reading another few things that might interest you. Which is something I've been doing a bit more recently with stuff like Toriko and HunterXHunter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter the boss View Post
I know the naruto anime ended in the japanese version, but I still wanted to know if anyone is waiting for the dubbed version to end to finish watching it.

I started watching the anime late, like 3 months ago. And now that I've caught up to the dubbed version, I have to watch one episode a week because it's still dubbing. So I stopped and decided to wait.
I don't watch Naruto, but I tried my hardest to stick with the dub of One Piece for the longest time, but I finally snapped and watched/read the remainder in Japanese. Maybe you should just watch the subs and keep yourself from going insane!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Following Non Non Biyori: Repeat & Himouto! Umaru-Chan right now, both being 3 episodes in at present.
These sound too hardcore scary for me. lol Sounds like slice of life stuff. The closest I've ever gotten to that kind of thing was Baka and Test. Though my fiance and I did watch all of B Gata H Kei a few years ago for some weird reason.

Last edited by Peanut; 07-22-2015 at 08:51 PM.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:15 PM   #98
Powder
So tired of this place

Yeah, they're slice of life for sure, my go-to genre. The mellow nature of 'em puts me in a good headspace. I couldn't really get into Baka & Test, but that was a few years back, maybe I'd think better of it with a new perspective. Whether or not you dig slice of life I'd encourage you to check out Nichijou sometime. There's just enough absurdity & Seinfeld-like relatability to keep things fresh.

Old 08-18-2015, 11:57 PM   #99
Peanut
Second Gear

So, after getting those Dragonball volumes I've kinda gone down a bit of a rabbit hole with it.

I'm 9 volumes in now (slow, because I order 3 volumes at a time) and I think I...love it? The art and writing is so full of life and an undeniable charm. The characters and plot are dead simple, but it's all still very endearing. It's also...insane? Muten Roshi blows up the f*cking moon at one point! Goku, Kuririn and Yamcha fight Dracula and the Invisible Man! What!? It frightens me to know that it somehow ends up morphing into something as self serious as DBZ. Along with that I've been watching episodes of the original anime as a sort of background noise while doing stuff. It's OK, but about 15 episodes in there starts to be some boring filler that I'm not the biggest fan of.

All the Dragonball stuff got me into Dokkan Battle (where I'm rocking Kid Goku) and I ended up buying Xenoverse today, which seems pretty neat. We'll see how far this goes.

I also started reading the Viz release of One Piece from Volume 1. It drives me nuts that some things are badly translated in the beginning, but the worst thing of all is that Zoro is STILL TO THIS DAY called Zolo. F*cking 4Kids will haunt the series until the final chapter. Other than that, I'm enjoying it a lot. I haven't read the majority of the manga up to the beginning of Thriller Bark, so it's like seeing it all from a new perspective. I also appreciate refreshing myself on some of the bigger plot points that I have forgotten over time.

Speaking of which, did anyone check out that great article the OPP guys did trying to piece together multiple different theories into a single unifying theory about the state of the world in One Piece? It's mind blowing.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:08 AM   #100
MrTMNT2012
Mad Scientist

Watched Dragon Ball Resurrection F English Dubbed.

Much better experience than the Sub. Really good Movie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
Speaking of which, did anyone check out that great article the OPP guys did trying to piece together multiple different theories into a single unifying theory about the state of the world in One Piece? It's mind blowing.
It's stuff we've already known but still a great article regardless.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; when One Piece finishes, it will go down as one of the greatest works of art/literature in history!

Fav Quote - 87 Leo: "TURTLES FIGHT WITH HONOUR!"
Fav Series - 2012 Nickelodeon
Fav Game - Out of the Shadows
Fav Comic - IDW Series
Fav Movie - Liebesman's TMNT (2014)
MrTMNT2012 is offline   Reply With Quote