The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 03-07-2020, 05:42 PM   #21
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyT View Post
No. No they don't and no they shouldn't.
What's wrong with this design? It looks fine to me. Sure it looks like Fred Wolf. But still. Most fans would rather have this than the designs from the 2014/2016 movies.
Old 03-07-2020, 06:11 PM   #22
TommyT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
What's wrong with this design? It looks fine to me. Sure it looks like Fred Wolf. But still. Most fans would rather have this than the designs from the 2014/2016 movies.
If you read these comments, most fans are not "excited".
TommyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 06:11 PM   #23
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I'd be OK with totally different designs for the Turtles that look more turtle-like, even kind of scary looking... as long as, #1, they're around 5' tall, #2, don't have radically different body types from one another, and #3, no stupid accessories or clothes (unless they all wear some kind of gi).
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 06:39 PM   #24
TommyT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I'd be OK with totally different designs for the Turtles that look more turtle-like, even kind of scary looking... as long as, #1, they're around 5' tall, #2, don't have radically different body types from one another, and #3, no stupid accessories or clothes (unless they all wear some kind of gi).
At least they went with short. I honestly don’t know if Henson can be improved on, but even Henson was kind of weird right?

At the end of the day, Ninja turtles are far from turtles. I don’t know if I want to see realistic turtles, but cartoons look horrible on screen beside real people.
Old 03-07-2020, 08:34 PM   #25
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

When some random TV commercial can churn out something this decent with what is probably a very low budget it really puts the mishandling of live action TMNT since 1990/1991 in clear perspective.

It doesn't have to look REAL it has to look cool and honor the source material, only changing what needs to be changed without throwing out what clearly works. The Sonic movie redesign really proved that.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 08:39 PM   #26
CyberCubed
Overlord

At least there were no disgusting Turtle nostrils.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 12:21 AM   #27
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
I think it best regardless of what kind of style they go for ie Fred Worlf cartoony vs something more Mirage inspired like the 1990 movie they need to look like what people recognise as a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle.

When the designs for the first Bay movie came I was like everyone else on the front line calling it trash but in truth I grudgingly admire the balls of doing something so different. I definitely 'get' what they were going for, they wanted the turtles to be badass and edgy.

I also get what what they were trying to do with the accessories. To your average moviegoer there's still an issue of telling the four turtles apart and the accessorising worked as a visual shorthand for their defining character traits. As a big fan of the Image run you may appreciate that after all part of the reason for the various changes like scarring Raph and Don becoming a cyborg was motivated for the same reasons.

They just missed the mark and went way too over the top with both ideas. Plus they kinda cancel each other out. You've got these edgy, badass looking turtles wearing such gaudy over the top gear that even Playmates toys would think twice making into a variant in the 90s but the intention with both is pretty sound.

One thing I would say is that their faces with much more human like features was a mistake from the start. If this wasn't a decision by Bay himself it was made with pleasing him in mind. The idea they can't convey emotions with a more traditional turtle face is ridiculous and in it's own small way this ad does a good job of showing that. Donatello in this ad conveys all kinds of emotions; intrigue, determination, happiness, disappointment etc. Personally I'd like that in a less pudgy Fred Wolf inspired face but the point is still the same.

Last edited by Galactus; 03-08-2020 at 12:38 AM.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 01:49 AM   #28
Stick1101
Mouser

I can’t agree about Bays version, they weren’t Turtles they were monsters!
I just don’t get what goes through these movie makers heads when they remake films that already have a huge fan base for 30/40 years, they know roundabouts what we all want, but they think they’ll be clever and drastically change designs in to nothing we’ve ever seen and honestly believe we’ll swallow it, they are so set on making a huge new fan base with the younger generation that they completely ignore its original fans. And when I see what they put out I’m already cursing it to my kids who in turn take the mickey out of it and have no interest because they also have loved West and Hensons turtles.

The biggest culprit being Star Wars, how much did we all want the reunion? Did we get it? No instead they turned one of our biggest if not biggest childhood hero’s into a laughing stock and made the whole trilogy a mess, All female Ghostbusters Hahahaha, any I’ve forgotten about?
Make it simple! Stop trying so hard!

I think some are missing the point in the new advert. This is a uk based company making an ad with the tiniest of budgets compared to the movie world and the Donnie looks like a fantastic updated version of the ‘87 Turtles. I wouldn’t want to see Turtles look like that in live action, my hope is still an updated version of Henson’s look but with different body sizes in a similar way to the 2012 cartoon.
But would this new Donatello and his brothers look great in a cgi film or toon series with a bigger budget.....absolutely!!!
Stick1101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 09:18 AM   #29
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
I'd be OK with totally different designs for the Turtles that look more turtle-like, even kind of scary looking...
A minority of fans may be into that, but as for most, including the majority of diehards? Good luck in that not bombing. Scary animalistic looks aren't going to go over with most any better than making them over 6' tall and on steroids and people already thought the Bay Turtles looked "scary" and unappealing. Going farthing in a scary and less relatable animal-like direction isn't going to win most hearts and viewers.

Pretty much agree with all the rest of course. Keep body variation mild. Makes sense that Raph might be the most muscled being the bruiser that he is, but it should be only vaguely noticeable. Not the extreme difference between him and Donnie in those last films. Definitely keep them on the shorter end. Personally, I don't really care if they're a little closer to a regular human height (at least that of human women) of a mid-5' range, but proportions and bulk needs to be considered so not to overdo it, and if a certain height makes them too large all over next to their human costars, then decrease the height...

Honestly, a little bit of clothing doesn't really bother me if it isn't overdone and makes sense. Maybe what the Bay Turtles wore, at least in 2016, made sense for them as they were clearly going for more of a modern American esthetic for Turtles who grew up amid modern NYC. (Or at least with what is available to four guys living in the sewers with no income and just one human friend to maybe help out a little.) But a look that suits the usual theme, growing up trained by Splinter, a rat/man originally from Japan and immersed in his ancient family history and culture, makes as much sense. There's so much awesome art out there of them in more ninja-ish garb that inspiration could be pulled from if film makers are going to put them in clothing.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 09:43 AM   #30
Cyndaquilfan123
Foot Soldier

Quote:
If you read these comments, most fans are not "excited".
I don't think all of our opinions here is enough to count as "most fans". Going by the comments on the Youtube page, this reception it is pretty decent.
Old 03-08-2020, 09:48 AM   #31
Sumac
Banned

Interesting design. Kind of middle ground between FW and realistic one.
In general, I like this video.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 11:22 AM   #32
The-Shredder
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Looks nothing like injustice. Looks more like battle toads.
That was exactly my first impression as well. The face is too bloated and the proportions are really awkward.
The-Shredder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 11:51 AM   #33
triplexxx
Mad Scientist

This is really cool, wonderful turtle design, humorous too, good voice work for Donatello also.
Please don't shoot me Mr. Big Mike. I'm too young and good-looking to die, well too young. I got a father, I got a mother, I got a grandmother, I got a little sister...and a little brother this high (raises hand), and a little brother this high (lowers hand), and little brother this high (lowers hand), and a little brother this high (lowers hand), and a little brother this high (lowers hand) and then I got a great big brother this high (slaps gun and runs).
"Fright Night" - Three Stooges
triplexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 12:31 PM   #34
TommyT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
At least there were no disgusting Turtle nostrils.
I'm concerned about your dating life. What do you do when you confront nostrils in the wild?
Old 03-08-2020, 02:28 PM   #35
TommyT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
A minority of fans may be into that, but as for most, including the majority of diehards? Good luck in that not bombing. Scary animalistic looks aren't going to go over with most any better than making them over 6' tall and on steroids and people already thought the Bay Turtles looked "scary" and unappealing. Going farthing in a scary and less relatable animal-like direction isn't going to win most hearts and viewers.

Quote:
Personally, I don't really care if they're a little closer to a regular human height (at least that of human women) of a mid-5' range, but proportions and bulk needs to be considered so not to overdo it, and if a certain height makes them too large all over next to their human costars, then decrease the height...
Basically, you want to be able to swipe right?

Quote:
There's so much awesome art out there of them in more ninja-ish garb that inspiration could be pulled from if film makers are going to put them in clothing.
We need more fan art here - more "examples" less talk. What fan art satisfies your ideal?
Old 03-08-2020, 02:55 PM   #36
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

They need to take a cue from the Sonic Movie. And design the Turtles to be somewhere between the real and cartoonish side. Which was something that the 1990 films did.
Old 03-08-2020, 04:16 PM   #37
Galactus
Foot Elite

^^^

The 1990 movie was essentially the Mirage designs with muti-coloured bandanas.

I just don't think that a Fred Wold inspired movie is the way to go. Some of the concepts of that show are just very difficult to translate in a modern action movie. Out Of The Shadows had some glaring problems but it was actually a fair stab at and it was still bad.

Sonic has been an unexpected success which may make people think that doing that but with turtles is the way to go. Basically make the Fred Wolf characters in live action but I just don't think that will work.

There's a reason one of the top search queries when you type in TMNT into google is "Are TMNT Marvel or DC?". It surely suggests that people see TMNT more in the line of properties owned by those companies and something like that will successful and frankly the Fred Wolf characters, designs and concepts don't lend themselves well to those kind of serious or semi-serious comic book movies.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 04:20 PM   #38
TommyT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
They need to take a cue from the Sonic Movie. And design the Turtles to be somewhere between the real and cartoonish side. Which was something that the 1990 films did.
You want Roger Rabbit? Nobody wants Roger Rabbit.

You get somebody to look at TMNT like they looked at the Joker, you'll have a real hit. TMNT is a violent book, about savage animals taking revenge on Ninja's. That's it.

Last edited by TommyT; 03-08-2020 at 04:31 PM.
Old 03-08-2020, 04:35 PM   #39
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
You get somebody to look at TMNT like they looked at the Joker, you'll have a real hit. TMNT is a violent book, about savage animals taking revenge on Ninja's. That's it.
Awe hell NO!

I want my tmnt to be about Cowabunga, pizza, Technodrome and Bebop!
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 04:54 PM   #40
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I just want some cutie Turtles who fit believably into a live action world and kick enemy butt while looking awesome doing it. Is it too much to ask?
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote