The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 04-23-2009, 11:36 AM   #61
tilallr1
Foot Soldier

I think they can go almost to R without being too PG-13 either. Hell even the new Terminator movie is going PG-13 so it doesn't mean Turtles killing Foot Soldiers and the Shredder would not be contained in a PG-13 movie.

In all honesty, everything in issues 1-11 is all PG-13 by todays standards. What I would be more afraid of is a PG rating.

Personally I think a reboot, 100% faithful to the Mirage comics would do much better in the long run. Common killing Shredder in the first 15 minutes of the film alone would be awesome and something no one has seen the Turtles do yet. It would automatically rewrite the Turtles in their minds within seconds. They would also realize this ain't a kids movie. Since most diehard fans of Turtles are now adults.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:37 AM   #62
NiNi
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
It makes me sad/happy. I would have loved another TMNT movie with the 07 designs/cg, they were awesome and deserved another movie.
That's how I felt about it, really. I mean I'm excited the next movie is going to be live-action, but it would've been nice to maybe have the CGI style of film at least one more time. But, at least a 5th movie technically has been confirmed, and I did like the live-action movies since childhood - so it'll be interesting how this will turn out in comparison to the old live-action films.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:25 PM   #63
Dragon Turtle
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Indeed, though the Indy rating hike was due to Temple of Doom making parents call for a middle ground between PG and R. Star Wars is another example, with Episode 1-2 being PG and Episode 3 being PG-13. It's all a matter of content.

As for TMNT, I seriously wonder if the 4th (CG) film was an attempt to go G and it slipped, because I've watched some G rated movies that are about on par with TMNT in it's level of violence. I hope Pete and the others will see how well the new Batman series, Spider-man, X-men and other mainstream comic hero movies are going PG-13.
TMNT pushed the PG rating as far as a "TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLE MOVIE" can go today, which is less then other movies, the truth is there is double standard when it comes to rating a TMNT movie. That is why you can't have a PG TMNT, at least one that has fighting/action in it, which will be the main draw for the casual non-turtle fans.

And if Mirage does another deal with McDonalds, TMNT 5 will end up being PG as well.
Dragon Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 12:46 PM   #64
doomiscool
Foot Soldier

Sounds awesome! I'm already super-excited!
doomiscool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 01:25 PM   #65
johnnyblaze
Stone Warrior

I truly think the fact that movie studios seem to want to make their superhero movies the next 'Dark Knight' by making them darker really works in favor for this new film.
johnnyblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 01:30 PM   #66
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCure View Post
Anyway, I'm in the same boat that's disappointed with another origin rehash.
(Not to reply to you specifically, just this kind of comment in general...)

I realize, as fans of the series, that we've seen it done several times now, but that doesn't mean we represent what a wider audience would want or need to see. Really, the origin from the comics has only been adapted a few times: in the 1990 movie and in the 2003 animated series. (I'd say the 1987 cartoon origin was changed enough that it's not really "the same," per se.)

Considering the Mirage comics haven't really had a direct adaptation (the 1990 movie was close, but had a little bit of the cartoon thrown in as well), I'm actually excited to see the story told again from the beginning. And really, if they're doing this as a reboot, they need to do the origin again. Batman's origin has been told several times as well, but imagine if "Batman Begins" had either glossed over or avoided telling the character's origin? As long as they manage to tell it in a fresh and interesting way, I don't see a reason why they shouldn't include it.

Last edited by Bry; 04-23-2009 at 01:38 PM.
Bry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 01:48 PM   #67
Kendamu
Sewerhead

I see no problem with a reboot. Also, as this isn't animation, maybe we'll get more action out of it.
Kendamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:01 PM   #68
Spitfire
Writer • Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCure View Post
Indiana Jones? Harry Potter?
Indy is an interesting case. The first two came out before PG-13 existed so they could do a lot more. The others came out after PG-13 was implemented and if those films were made today would have all been rated PG-13. So while that is a case of a ratings hike I hardly count it. The first turtles film is PG-13 by today's standards.

I don't follow Potter so I didn't know that.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:35 PM   #69
Tinuvielsdreams
Nothing without passion

Harry Potter is a case in its own because the books escalated in adult themes and in violence. I don't think they would have had a choice but to raise the ratings if they want to stay true to the story.

Turtles is backwards in that respect because originally it was dark and then the Toon brought it into a lighter direction and that is where the franchise has sort of lingered. A reboot probably would probably be a good opportunity if we want to see a rating change.
I am sure when the director is named we will be better able to predict the direction of this film.

Just because it is could be a reboot doesn't mean it will be all old hat. There is always a chance to see some old characters that have never made it to the big screen. Baxter is a good example that was mentioned earlier in a post I believe. I think they could do a lot with it if they want to.
Tinuvielsdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:49 PM   #70
Blade Raider
Mad Scientist

Haven't seen this thread til now, so I haven't read to much. Great to hear another movie is finally in the works.

Unless they change the origin story up some, I really don't want a reboot. I'm sick of the retelling of the Mirage origins. They've done it at least 3 times now (Comic, Movie, and New Toon). If they change things up and make it different, I don't care if it's a reboot. Just don't tell the same exact story again with tiny differences.

Also, I want Stockmen and Mousers in the movie
Old 04-23-2009, 02:57 PM   #71
mumbo230
Foot Soldier

A PG-13 reboot is necessary for success IMO. It should be able to fit in with all the rest of the big comic book movie franchises content-wise, like Spider-Man, Iron Man, etc.

I've got a lot of hope in this, can't wait for more details as they eventually come.
mumbo230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:10 PM   #72
cqb101
Cinephile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry View Post
(Not to reply to you specifically, just this kind of comment in general...)

I realize, as fans of the series, that we've seen it done several times now, but that doesn't mean we represent what a wider audience would want or need to see. Really, the origin from the comics has only been adapted a few times: in the 1990 movie and in the 2003 animated series. (I'd say the 1987 cartoon origin was changed enough that it's not really "the same," per se.)

Considering the Mirage comics haven't really had a direct adaptation (the 1990 movie was close, but had a little bit of the cartoon thrown in as well), I'm actually excited to see the story told again from the beginning. And really, if they're doing this as a reboot, they need to do the origin again. Batman's origin has been told several times as well, but imagine if "Batman Begins" had either glossed over or avoided telling the character's origin? As long as they manage to tell it in a fresh and interesting way, I don't see a reason why they shouldn't include it.
Everybody should read this (again).
Old 04-23-2009, 03:30 PM   #73
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilallr1 View Post
They would also realize this ain't a kids movie. Since most diehard fans of Turtles are now adults.
Exactly. My thoughts on this (and I made a similar comment on Peter Laird's blog, as well):

Everyone who was a kid at the time of the original TMNT craze is now in their mid-to-late 20s. Most of them/us have a strong sense of nostalgia for the Turtles, but at the same time don't want to see something kid-oriented that "talks down" to the audience. And I think this potential audience of adults is bigger than the audience they'd get by trying to market mainly to the kids right now. This is the perfect time to make a "grown-up" TMNT movie, and I think that something more along the lines of "The Dark Knight" would appeal to a lot of people.

Last edited by Bry; 04-23-2009 at 03:35 PM.
Bry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:32 PM   #74
Extreme_Enigma
Foot Soldier

YesSSS!

So is this fully live action? Or is there CGI in it?
Old 04-23-2009, 03:39 PM   #75
Whitewolf89
Freedom Fighter and Ninja

Location: Currently residing in the Turtles' Lair, NYC sewer system, NYC, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqb101 View Post
Sounds like it. I'm just glad it's live action, not CGI.
As happy as I am about this, I was rather hoping for a HYBRID movie of it (live-action for the human characters, like April and Casey/CGI for the boys and Splinter). I mean, as much as I loved the first three live-action films, I always considered people in costumes so limited, as far as doing stuff was concerned. And Tranformers did really well in that format, so why not the new TMNT movie?

But no matter WHAT form the new movie takes, I WILL be going to see it when it comes out. I'm just glad that it's FINALLY happening (so to all the naysayers who said that we likely WOULDN'T get another one (YOU guys know who you are!)), so I am NOT ABOUT to quibble over something as absolutley SILLY as how it will be done.

Although I'll admit I'm a bit leary of 4Kids handling all the licensing for it. I hope they do a good job with it, otherwise I'm going to be ticked.

And as for Playmates doing the figures for it; well, let's just say that I wish like anything that Pete could find someone ELSE to do THAT part of it. ESPECIALLY after Playmates screw-ups with the BTTS figs; etc.

But, like I said, not going to gripe about much of anything. It's FINALLY happening, and that's good enough for me.

Last edited by Whitewolf89; 04-24-2009 at 01:15 PM.
Whitewolf89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:46 PM   #76
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

This just made my year...I'm so excited!

Hope to hear more soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:55 PM   #77
Aztec General
Mad Scientist

PG-13 or don't bother.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:04 PM   #78
Peanut
Second Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztec General View Post
PG-13 or don't bother.
This.

Give us Mirage TMNT outside of the comics. For ONCE! Just f*cking TRY IT! It can't be any worse than the last atrocity they made.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 04:04 PM   #79
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztec General View Post
PG-13 or don't bother.
I'm sure Mirage isn't going to cancel a now done movie deal just because they don't get PG-13.

Watching a movie is optional anyway.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 04:12 PM   #80
Peanut
Second Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Watching a movie is optional anyway.
I'm glad to see the blind-ass f*cking logic has already begun to permeate the fan base at this early stage.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
live action films