The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 03-20-2020, 07:15 PM   #141
Leo656
The Franchise

NJ movie theaters are typically pretty awesome, I'm forever baffled by peoples' complaints about movie theaters. Granted, I've only ever gone to a movie theater in NJ and PA but very rarely have I had a bad experience. Certainly nothing close to the typical horror stories.

Yes, the snacks are overpriced, but that's mostly on Disney and the rest taking 80% of every ticket sold and thus the theaters have to make money somewhere.

Anyway. Everything that's leaked out about this one says it'll be a visual treat with a terrible script and I probably wasn't going to see it in theaters anyway. Which is a shame, but maybe it's for the best. People are a lot more forgiving of bad movies when they're watching them at home. I'm not in any rush to see it regardless, but people who enjoyed the first one might not feel SO let down if they see this on at home rather than paying money for a night out. So it might end up getting a warmer reception overall.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 11:44 PM   #142
TommyT
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
As not an avid movie goer, I can't understand this. When I went to the cinema it was to see the movie as early as possible. But I am not people's person.

I am sure you are big fan at the parties and never go cheap on food and stuff for your friends.
Because i don't want to pay 20 dollars for a bag of popcorn?
The parties we throw, don't often involve popcorn and soda, usually its sluts and blow.

Isn't that how it's done in mother Russia? You trade blow jobs for bluejeans and passports right?
TommyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 02:36 AM   #143
Sumac
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyT View Post
Because i don't want to pay 20 dollars for a bag of popcorn?
The parties we throw, don't often involve popcorn and soda, usually its sluts and blow.
You can't have fun with friends without popcorn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyT View Post
Isn't that how it's done in mother Russia? You trade blow jobs for bluejeans and passports right?
Your parents were Russian?
Old 03-21-2020, 02:48 AM   #144
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
WB aren't budging from a theatrical release

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/03/wo...us-1202219383/
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 03:04 AM   #145
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

They've delayed this movie like 10 years they might as well delay it 11 for a proper release.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 09:34 AM   #146
CyberCubed
Overlord

Originally theaters were created because most people didn't own TV's in the early 1900's, and then they just stuck around for the experience. Theaters are also always aimed at teens or young adults who go on, "hot dates" to the theater. As most people know, "going to a movie" is like one of the main things people like to go on dates with, and that's why they stuck around.

Most adults don't have a "hot date" to take to the theater anymore, hence why you see them come in with kids or their families. So a lot prefer watching from home. The rise of digital really changed things because nowadays people are used to "instant gratification" and movies/shows released you can watch anywhere even on your phone, so going to a theater has lessened.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 10:10 AM   #147
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Originally theaters were created because most people didn't own TV's in the early 1900's, and then they just stuck around for the experience. Theaters are also always aimed at teens or young adults who go on, "hot dates" to the theater. As most people know, "going to a movie" is like one of the main things people like to go on dates with, and that's why they stuck around.

Most adults don't have a "hot date" to take to the theater anymore, hence why you see them come in with kids or their families. So a lot prefer watching from home. The rise of digital really changed things because nowadays people are used to "instant gratification" and movies/shows released you can watch anywhere even on your phone, so going to a theater has lessened.
? and some of us just enjoy going to the big screen, whatever age we are or whether we go with friends/family or a date, it's not limited to a certain group.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 10:21 AM   #148
Sumac
Foot Elite

Quote:

And you are not a social person too, I guess?
Old 03-21-2020, 12:35 PM   #149
CyberCubed
Overlord

Unless you have kids and a family, it's really not worth it anymore. If I could just watch a movie in a quick 10 second click streaming online, over paying money/gas to drive to a theater, buy an overpriced ticket, and then overpriced popcorn or snacks, and then deal with kids screaming in a theater, I'd take it.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 12:41 PM   #150
LeotheLateBloomer
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Unless you have kids and a family, it's really not worth it anymore. If I could just watch a movie in a quick 10 second click streaming online, over paying money/gas to drive to a theater, buy an overpriced ticket, and then overpriced popcorn or snacks, and then deal with kids screaming in a theater, I'd take it.
What theater have you gone to that sells popcorn for $20?! There should be different sized popcorns that are sold at different prices, not to mention some that gives out free refills. Also, I recommend just going on a weekday since it's likely slow and kids are in school.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 04:21 AM   #151
Egon1982
Hench Mutant

I still think you can't beat theatrical experience of seeing it on the big screen.
Egon1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 10:25 AM   #152
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egon1982 View Post
I still think you can't beat theatrical experience of seeing it on the big screen.
Damn right you can't.
Old 03-22-2020, 12:25 PM   #153
TommyT
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Damn right you can't.
Theater is 2-4k projection.
It often smells like buttery vomit.
The sound is loud to the point of painful, just to drown out other fools who chat.
Sticky floors.

Built our own home theater. 4K 85 inch TV, 7.1 surround, and an oldschool popcorn maker.

Costs of doing that amounted to 2,500. Onetime trip for us to the movies is 75-100$.

25 trips to the movies, or a home theater. The choice was easy.
Old 03-22-2020, 06:25 PM   #154
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

For 2500 you have to have a reeeeeeal ****** TV and speaker set up. Especially for an 85 inch.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 09:08 PM   #155
Leo656
The Franchise

Also, if most people had a few grand to drop on a TV and speakers and sh*t, they'd have money for a lot more important sh*t than that. Or they live in an apartment (or as in my case, the upstairs loft section of a house), or other shared space where that kind of set-up simply wouldn't work. "Just build a home theater" isn't a practical solution for most people.

And, as others have mentioned, some people simply enjoy the overall experience. We have great theaters over here, I'm sad that they'll probably shut down permanently in the wake of this. I only go a couple times a year but some things are just plain better in a theatrical setting. Like, "The Last Jedi" was awful but having seen it in the theater, I can totally get why some people were enchanted by it. That "experience" is the biggest reason people go in the first place.

If you hate people and don't like going out, then fine, but most people simply aren't like that.

Old 03-22-2020, 11:18 PM   #156
TommyT
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
For 2500 you have to have a reeeeeeal ****** TV and speaker set up. Especially for an 85 inch.
Samsung 85 inch 4K TV Black Friday deals were great. If you pay attention, you can get great deals. Do some research, google is your friend.

I love the **** talking here though. Either the TV is ****, or Iím **** for having extra.
Old 03-22-2020, 11:25 PM   #157
TommyT
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Also, if most people had a few grand to drop on a TV and speakers and sh*t, they'd have money for a lot more important sh*t than that. Or they live in an apartment (or as in my case, the upstairs loft section of a house), or other shared space where that kind of set-up simply wouldn't work. "Just build a home theater" isn't a practical solution for most people.

And, as others have mentioned, some people simply enjoy the overall experience. We have great theaters over here, I'm sad that they'll probably shut down permanently in the wake of this. I only go a couple times a year but some things are just plain better in a theatrical setting. Like, "The Last Jedi" was awful but having seen it in the theater, I can totally get why some people were enchanted by it. That "experience" is the biggest reason people go in the first place.

If you hate people and don't like going out, then fine, but most people simply aren't like that.
Theaters here are basically homeless shelters now. Itís a Petri dish of disease.
Theater are the Ďexpensiveí option, so if you can throw money away, by all means.
I prefer save and invest. Itís also a ****ing godsend right now.
Old 03-22-2020, 11:28 PM   #158
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I have a pretty awesome setup at home but I still appreciate going to the theater as a communal experience. Hearing people react to this or that that I might not have gotten the same thing out of, etc..
Old 03-22-2020, 11:47 PM   #159
Leo656
The Franchise

I mean, it's whatever makes a person happy, so if you've got the hook-up, good for you. You're not a bad person for it. If I had the money and the space, I would do it, absolutely. Mostly because the audio on most DVDs and Blu-rays are optimized for a home theater set-up, and if you don't have one, you get that annoying sh*t where you can barely hear people talking, so you keep the volume way up and then suddenly "BOOOOM!", and thus you're fiddling with the volume every few seconds. That's really annoying and entirely on purpose so people will be "forced" to splurge more on the home theater set-up, so yeah, there's a definite upside to having one. Frankly, though, it's more money than I can reasonably spend on "watching TV". Most people I know are in the same boat, "If I had the money for that I'd have money for lots of things."

But even if I did, I'd still go out to the theater because of the experience. Same reason I occasionally go out to eat at a nice restaurant even if I have the exact same food at home. People have been predicting the death of movie theaters for 20 years now, ever since big TVs and home theater set-ups were no longer ONLY available to the very rich, and yet people are turning out to see movies in record numbers, even if it's for fewer films altogether. People still flock to the theaters, even when it's a movie most of them are predicting they'll hate, like the new Star Wars stuff. They don't go just for The Movie, they go for The Experience, and not JUST the "giant picture and awesome sound" experience.

I do agree that this will be a huge blow to the theater industry, and they may never recover, but if the industry dies it won't be because people don't still want to go. It will be because now everyone is broke. And that's a shame. I never celebrate when any industry shuts down, because it means more people broke and homeless, and in turn more people killing themselves rather than dealing with being broke and homeless. And that's awful. So even if some people don't care because they hate going to the theater for whatever reason, it's still bad for the majority of people, regardless.

Old 03-22-2020, 11:56 PM   #160
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Some movies just have terrible sound mixes on home release, period. I encounter it all the time. The dialogue vs. music and SFX. Not much you can do but boost it up and/or turn down bass.

Tags
the future is female